Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Max Peck

Re: Random randomness

Post by Max Peck »

Unagi wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:23 am
Max Peck wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:04 am I was today years old when I finally noticed that Wilson Fisk is Gomer Pyle.
I need help with this.

edit:
Oh, yes - Okay - I knew the FMJ connection - I just forgot that Private Pyle's nickname was 'Gomer'.
"Gomer Pyle" was the nickname. The character's actual name was Leonard Lawrence.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:52 am
Unagi wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:23 am
Max Peck wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:04 am I was today years old when I finally noticed that Wilson Fisk is Gomer Pyle.
I need help with this.

edit:
Oh, yes - Okay - I knew the FMJ connection - I just forgot that Private Pyle's nickname was 'Gomer'.
"Gomer Pyle" was the nickname. The character's actual name was Leonard Lawrence.
Yea, when I read that Private Pyle comment - it struck me what was being talked about.

For a minute I thought maybe the back story of the actual Gomer Pyle and Wilson Fisk had some overlap.

my bad.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It had never really clicked with me that Vincent D'Onofrio was in FMJ until it came up in a trivia game I was playing last night. The character has been living in my head, rent-free, for decades but I didn't know who the actor was.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone remember what a SNL skit from the 70s might be?

It was about a family where they all looked alike except the dad. They all had red hair and freckled but dad. But the next door neighbor guy had red hair and freckles :)

I was thinking Fluckers or Fockers or something with an F. But cant find it on Google.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I think of myself as pretty well versed in old SNL sketches - and that doesn't really ring a strong bell.

I can recall some fake redhead family with freckles painted on faces in the past, on tv, but it's just a vague 'meme-like' memory - and I can't put it onto 1970's SNL.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Next year will be 2025. We are a quarter into the 21st century already. Does it feel that to anyone else? Doesn't seem many years ago it was the end of the 20th century during the 1990s. But its longer than it feels to my mind.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:24 am It had never really clicked with me that Vincent D'Onofrio was in FMJ
Took me awhile to figure out that "Bobby" was in FMJ too, but not quite that long. Plus he's the alien in some other movie. :think:
Re-electing Biden is like the Titanic backing up to hit the iceberg again!
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

I went to school with Arliss Howard (Cowboy in FMJ). He was a year ahead of me, and we were both majoring in theater. LOOONG story short...He put me through the most challenging, embarrassing night ever in a play. He showed up so drunk we had to put his costume on for him. He proceeded to forget lines, mess up songs, and even passed out in the wings while waiting for our entrance. I was literally pouring coffee into him and slamming him against the wall to wake him up. The show ended up closing the next night.

Wasn't funny then, but it is now.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm currently (finally) watching the last few episodes of Stranger Things 4, which also has its own FMJ connection -- Papa was Joker.

Perhaps FMJ is to films/shows as Kevin Bacon is to actors... :think:

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got my medicare summery that shows whats you have had done and the costs of each thing.

My flu shot was $40...and to actually simply give it to me? $30. Stupid medical costs since the 1970s have been stupid.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Next time, tell them to leave you the syringe so you can do it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wish..would be fine by me lol.

Dont you guys hate it when you're waiting on a package in USPS headed your way but theres no real updates listed? Mine has said "In transit" and also "Moving through network" for days now and no updates to where it is. It still says ON TIME. ...but today is delivery due day and my mail has already ran. It states by 9pm but my mailman isn't going t oretun tonight to drop it off. WTF USPS??
In Transit to Next Facility

Mar 04 2024 12:00 am
· United States
In Transit to Next Facility, Arriving On Time

· United States

Mar 03 2024 12:00 am
· United States

Mar 02 2024 12:00 am
· United States
What facility!! Where!??
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My sister was able to come up today and take me to pay my property taxes. Afterwards she took me to eat and then we hit up a local thrift store. While in there were started to hear music. Was my damn pocket dialed phone yet again. I looked and it said "ongoing call to Alabama" and it was at 54 min. No telling what the other side heard us talking about lol. Musta been interesting. I hung up on them.
Brian

Post by Brian »

USPS Tracking is useless.

It's basically:

Day 1: Your package has shipped

Day 2-5: We have no fucking idea

Day 6: Your package was delivered
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Day 6 usually also has your package is out for delivery. It should deliver today by 21:00. Signature required. "And they have literally never knocked nor asked for a signature since COVID, which is when I have been more at home, and delivering to home.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

The other week my wife and I both had packages due on Tuesday. Around noon, both of our trackers claimed the packages were both delivered. They were not. They were about 2 hours later.

I still want to confront my carrier (who we like a lot, so I don't really want to be confrontational) - about how that's possible. (I mean, I know how it's possible, I want to know why they scanned a bunch of packages as delivered when they were likely just being put into the van)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Brian wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:23 am USPS Tracking is useless.

It's basically:

Day 1: Your package has shipped

Day 2-5: We have no fucking idea

Day 6: Your package was delivered
Most tracking is useless. Many of the major shippers have intentionally stopped giving details, because hiding things like shipping to the wrong hub, or the package not moving for a day or two means that they can cut their customer support considerably. If people don't know the details, they have less reason to call and complain.

I find I get better results by pasting the number into a third-party tracker, like https://parcelsapp.com/en/tracking/
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

My favorite UPS tracking (and yes I know I mentioned this before)
I was working customer service somebody asked me where their item was. I checked the tracking.
UPS listed it as "train wreck".

I checked the news. hey customer, did you hear the news about that freight train derailment?

So yeah, about your package...
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaymon wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:03 pm My favorite UPS tracking (and yes I know I mentioned this before)
I was working customer service somebody asked me where their item was. I checked the tracking.
UPS listed it as "train wreck".

I checked the news. hey customer, did you hear the news about that freight train derailment?

So yeah, about your package...
I'm not a good person - I laughed.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
telcta

Post by telcta »

A nearby town has a new coffee/cocktail place I visited this morning... and no, I did not see an OO'er there. Good coffee. I'll have to go back later when I can get it mixed into a drink.

Enlarge Image

I'm not sure if I'd enjoy this...

Hastur's Old Fashioned:
Coffee inspired old fashioned - Litchfield Yellow King Private Barrel infused with our Hastur's Roast coffee beans (for 24 hours), served with chocolate bitters and demerara simple syrup.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I like coffee. I like liquor. I've yet to taste any sort of coffee and liquor drink I like. I'm at a point in life where I'm not likely to continue to trying.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I think my biggest annoyance these days is companies who ship with a signature requirement but don't notify you that they're doing so. I ordered something from Etsy, shipped from overseas, and it arrived two weeks early (so I wasn't even bothering to keep track of it yet.) The USPS tried to deliver it, knocked on the wrong door (they've never, in 20 years, actually knocked on my real door), didn't deliver, didn't leave a notice, and didn't attempt delivery again. By the time I was actually due to receive the item, I went to check on it... and it had already been returned to the seller.

If you're going to ship with special delivery requirements, let somebody know so that they can make arrangements if they have to.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:40 pm I like coffee. I like liquor. I've yet to taste any sort of coffee and liquor drink I like. I'm at a point in life where I'm not likely to continue to trying.
I know this is like half a world away, but holy shots batman, is this some tasty stuff

https://www.vivacityspirits.com/turkish-coffee-liqueur
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I knew it!! I got the fucking EXCEPTION on my shipment. ALWAYS. NEVER fails..not once. ALWAYS EXCEPTION. And its always the USPS and only from them. They are like 2 states over for shit sake.

To top it off I ordered my little dog something from Chewy online day before yesterday and its out for delivery.

The ship shipping area....

Exception
Get email update
United States to United States · Transit in 6 day
Times are in local time of the checkpoint location.

In Transit to Next Facility, Arriving Late

Mar 05 2024 12:00 am
· United States

Mar 05 2024 12:00 am
· United States

· United States

There were no updates other than moving through system as you recall I posted up a few posts. You know something is fishy when it does that. Still said "Arriving on time by 9pm Tuesday".. NOPE fraid not sister. Now its saying "Late" no duh Sherlock. FRAKING hell they piss me off.

Amazon used to offer 2 day on this but now they are 4 or more days and they will run late as well.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

lg microwave magnetron has given up the ghost, looks like. Buttons work, timer works, carousel works, no heat, no error code.

Frustrating.

I assume it's cheaper to buy a new microwave than to have one serviced?
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Can you even get one serviced anymore? :think: I've never even tried, I've always just assumed easier and cheaper to buy new.
Re-electing Biden is like the Titanic backing up to hit the iceberg again!
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Presumably if you can do it yourself, it's cheaper (the part isn't that expensive). But if you were to pay someone to do it...yeah, totally not worth it, microwaves aren't that expensive either.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah, given the price of microwaves, I think I'll buy a new one and call the extra money a convenience fee.

Not too excited about dealing with the all the warnings about high voltage stored in it either.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

We got a Panasonic 1250w 2.2 cu ft MW about 17 years ago or so and its still going along nicely...well now that i said something I can expect to buy a new one soon...dammit. But seriously the Panasonic Brand seems nice.

EDIT: The one we got seems to be the Panasonic NN-T945SF . Got it at Walmart cheap. In fact I was in Walmart looking at the same one about 3 years ago and it was about $150. I just looked online and its $388,,geebus. Seems microwaves have gone way up lately.

Mine:
Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My over-the-stove microwave dies. We had my old apartment spare in the garage, so there’s no huge rush to try and demount the monstrosity and lever a new one into place yet.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I just happened to check IMDB for someone with whom I went to grad school and who later jumped to Hollywood as a producer.

He graduated college two years before me. He wasn't by any means the kind of genius who goes to college early.

His listed birthdate on IMDB is two years after I was born.

:lol:
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It’s the Hollywood lighting and makeup. Makes him look 5 years younger.
"A lie can run round the world before the truth has got its boots on." -Terry Pratchett, The Truth
"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it." -Terry Pratchett, Monstrous Regiment
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Work is blocking OO now. My productivity is likely to increase.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

coopasonic wrote:Work is blocking OO now. My productivity is likely to increase.
Or your phone time at work go up :)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The world is made of spam & junk.

Sitting hear looking at junk mail I just returned from the mailbox with and ripping it up I get a robo call on my phone i didn't answer. I might as well not have a mailbox or phone.

I use my phone once i na blue moon and I never get what I order in the mail until its 5 days late . But I can sure get junk mail every day and shit phone calls.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I shaved in a hurry this morning, and only after I got to work did I realize I'd left a thin, unshaven line of stubble under my nose.

My whiskers are blond-gray and I'm sure no one will notice, but it has felt weird all day.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Holman wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:49 pm I shaved in a hurry this morning, and only after I got to work did I realize I'd left a thin, unshaven line of stubble under my nose.

My whiskers are blond-gray and I'm sure no one will notice, but it has felt weird all day.
Nobody will notice you are Der Fuhrer? Hmm...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:53 pm
Holman wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:49 pm I shaved in a hurry this morning, and only after I got to work did I realize I'd left a thin, unshaven line of stubble under my nose.

Nobody will notice you are Der Fuhrer? Hmm...
Only if Der Fuhrer went in for a John Waters pencil style.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got a letter from State Farm today. Said they'd been overcharging me lately on my premium or something. So they gave me a credit back to my account. They used to charge me like $24 and had been up to $35 for a while now.

I went to look and they have given me almost $70 back. So my car insurance looks to be paid for the next 2 or 3 months. Yay!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just got up. thanks to the new time Im up an hour early :)