THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Diablo 4

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Diablo 4

Post by Daehawk »

Know any good items for necros or dungeons that add to my minion count? I had a +2 minions item like boots but got rid of it when I out grew it for better stuff. But now that Im 20+ lvls higher Id rather have those extra minions and shitty armor than the better armor stuff and no extra minions. Minions are my bread and wine so to speak and I want and need more of them. But Ive not gotten another item with plus minions to it.

Not in looting gambling or buying. Wonder if I can transmute an item and get it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My worst problem as a necro is theres so much shit going on onscreen I lose my pointer in the chaos and f up control or casting and stuff. Im in the middle of a huge fight and Im just standing there fanning my mouse trying to see my cursor on screen..where is it where it it ...dead..oh well. I wish I could customize the pointer..like color or add a glow or even and animation to it to make it stand out.

This is a problem ive had with Diablo games since 2 and with other games of this type..the lost cursor. Should give me a quest in game to find my damn cursor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How do wands work? Do only sorc's get the ability...like I equip it on my necro..it says 6XX damage..but how is it projecting that damage as a necro? Or does it even do that as a necro. I see no fireball or magic shoot from it..just my normal slotted spell. I cant slot the wand......am I better sticking to a melee wep liek a scythe or sword that I actually swing and do its damage?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Jaddison wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:45 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:38 pm Anyone buy this on STEAM? Any issues/concerns playing it?

With the routine 40% off through Steam, thinking of getting it for my birthday.
For me it seems to perform better through Steam. Battlenet login not through Steam takes a while and then the logout takes a long time. Steam much better for D4 in my opinion
Thanks! Now I'm not worried about purchasing that way (even if it doesn't work better, it's apparently not a major hassle nor significantly impaired).
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Zenn7 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:06 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:38 pm Anyone buy this on STEAM? Any issues/concerns playing it?

For me it seems to perform better through Steam. Battlenet login not through Steam takes a while and then the logout takes a long time. Steam much better for D4 in my opinion
Thanks! Now I'm not worried about purchasing that way (even if it doesn't work better, it's apparently not a major hassle nor significantly impaired).
I have been using Steam to launch D4 for about 2 weeks and played D4 through Battlenet since launch and Steam launch/close is so much smoother. On closing D4 through battlenet it could take 3-5 minutes for my system to not be bogged down and sometimes it took that 3-5 minutes for Battlenet to show the game shutdown. Steam it is a matter of seconds
Logon through Battlenet could take several minutes as well, consistently. Steam the thing launches all the way to character screen in less than a minute
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My system is 12 years old and I dont see these problems through Battlenet.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:49 am My system is 12 years old and I dont see these problems through Battlenet.
D3 launches and closes fine via Battlenet, D2 as well. D4? An adventure.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:46 pm My worst problem as a necro is theres so much shit going on onscreen I lose my pointer in the chaos and f up control or casting and stuff. Im in the middle of a huge fight and Im just standing there fanning my mouse trying to see my cursor on screen..where is it where it it ...dead..oh well. I wish I could customize the pointer..like color or add a glow or even and animation to it to make it stand out.

This is a problem ive had with Diablo games since 2 and with other games of this type..the lost cursor. Should give me a quest in game to find my damn cursor.
These settings:

Make the cursor big, and make it a color that you can see easily (cyan is one of the better colors for visibility in most games - like mine there.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:38 pm Know any good items for necros or dungeons that add to my minion count?
You haven't said anything about your build. Look here. Look at #2 under Progression Goals. Those seem to be what you'd be looking for. Look carefully at the pop-up on each of the orange aspects you might want. They list which items those aspects can and can't be found on - like the fact that the + skeletal mages will never be on pants, rings, or weapons (so if that's what you're seeking, avoid gambling for those.) Remember that if you have a legendary item with a good aspect, you can remove the aspect and put it on a better item.

As far as knowing dungeons, none of the dungeon-based Necromancer aspects seem to be minion counts. Beyond that, almost every item in the game is random. You just have to keep trying until you get lucky.
Daehawk wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:46 pm My worst problem as a necro is theres so much shit going on onscreen I lose my pointer in the chaos and f up control or casting and stuff. Im in the middle of a huge fight and Im just standing there fanning my mouse trying to see my cursor on screen..where is it where it it ...dead..oh well. I wish I could customize the pointer..like color or add a glow or even and animation to it to make it stand out.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Also
Daehawk wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:11 pm How do wands work? Do only sorc's get the ability...like I equip it on my necro..it says 6XX damage..but how is it projecting that damage as a necro? Or does it even do that as a necro. I see no fireball or magic shoot from it..just my normal slotted spell.
That's D&D. Wands are like any other weapon. They give you generic damage, and they give you stat bonuses. They don't give you special powers.
I cant slot the wand......am I better sticking to a melee wep liek a scythe or sword that I actually swing and do its damage?
Again, without knowing your build, that's impossible to answer. Since you seem to be going with a summoner (primarily using minions), take a look at this. You don't have to follow the build (although you should look at which skills they picked and why - going your own way is fine as long as you understand what everything does.) But at least look at the section under "gear progression and stat priorities." That'll tell you what is best.

And that's assuming that you're using a build that's at least similar. If you're not using minions as your focus, look at the other guides and see what they recommend for gear.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaddison wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:45 am
Zenn7 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:06 pm

I have been using Steam to launch D4 for about 2 weeks and played D4 through Battlenet since launch and Steam launch/close is so much smoother. On closing D4 through battlenet it could take 3-5 minutes for my system to not be bogged down and sometimes it took that 3-5 minutes for Battlenet to show the game shutdown. Steam it is a matter of seconds
Logon through Battlenet could take several minutes as well, consistently. Steam the thing launches all the way to character screen in less than a minute
Battle.net just takes a few seconds for me as well, as fast as what you're describing with Steam.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:21 pm

These settings:

Make the cursor big, and make it a color that you can see easily (cyan is one of the better colors for visibility in most games - like mine there.)
Oh, that is so very, very helpful. I, too, was losing my cursor/aim which was a killer at higher tiers or when trying out new builds.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Some of the settings in accessibility are great. There is a setting to cause any item above a certain rarity to create a 'ringing' sound until you pick it up - which helps avoid leaving things behind. And the 'Highlights' tab lets you turn on a glowing out line around your character that you can see through other things, thus always letting you know where you are (I don't do this myself - I found that I disliked it, but it was absolutely helpful.)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks BH. I made it giant and teal. Its hideous but perhaps it will work.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For those that want a custom mouse in other games as well my friend uses and suggested YOLOMOUSE .

He says..
your mouse normally is a large triangle that pulses blue, when you cursor over an enemy it changes to a larger mouse shape that pulses red to purple
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm extremely leery of any third-party program that alters the interface of games. It's too easy for an anti-cheat program to see it and hand out bans, and too hard to contest them.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish necro pets would disappear when in town. I see other pet classes port in or log in and see their pets just fade away as they enter. Wish my mass of bones would. Make clicking on npcs and such easier. Ive got to where I change my pet set now to just me then set it back once i leave town. But then I have to find bodies for a new army.

How hard would it be for Blizzard to simply make mine like all the others?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've seen other necros asking for the same.

I'm working my way through the endgame/season content now. I just hit 65 last night, so I've a way to go before World Tier 4, but it's already gotten really easy. The only time I have to guzzle potions is when I'm doing one of vampiric siphons. For regular combat I rarely take any, and bosses rarely take more than one. I put down the Butcher in a nightmare dungeon last night with only one potion.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im a lvl 51 necro..ive only seen one other necro and he was lvl 9.

Also I got jumped by the butcher again...i heard "Fresh meat!" and was ready for him...sorta...got him only down 1/4 health and died and he was gone..dangit.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It looks like this is for the seasonal realms only. People who aren't playing a seasonal character aren't invited to participate. I have a seasonal character, but the group I'm playing with got moved to Eternal when the last season ended. Shitty move, Blizzard.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont understand any of what you said....except maybe my normal necro character in the normal story world is not going to be part of this after all...dangit.

EDIT: Never mind all that. Seems I am on a seasonal server. No idea how or why or where or what the difference is. But I can do this stuff. I just talked to the bard in town. Gonna be fun.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:05 pm EDIT: Never mind all that. Seems I am on a seasonal server. No idea how or why or where or what the difference is.
Short version:

When you make a character, you're offered a choice between Eternal and Seasonal. Seasonal always has a theme (this time it's vampires) with special unlockables (Season Journey, hit the 'U' key.) It has special events and enemies, and special dungeons. It has special rewards and mechanics (the ashes when you hit 'U' are one of them - make sure you're claiming everything and using the ashes to get some big bonuses.) After a few months, the season ends. All seasonal characters get turned into Eternal characters, and a new season with a new theme/rewards/mechanics starts, requiring all new characters.

Eternal is just like seasonal - but without all the extra stuff.

There is honestly no reason to make a character on Eternal, as you'd be playing the same game with less content.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Man I got to lvl 50 and hit a wall..it took forever to get to 51...before the fifties I was cruising along gaining lvls like mad and having a lot of skill points to spend..now its all dried up. Worst part is I see two skills I need and cant get without a couple points to put into them. I dont want to have to reset this entire skill tree but may have too if I dont lvl better soon. Is there a cost to resetting the skill tree or amount of time it can be done? If not thats kinda handy then.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Cost of resetting is insignificant, you can respec easily. Is your level 50 transition also include going the Nightmare 3? If it does, until you get sacred gear you are going to feel underpowered....pick up and use yellow sacred gear as it will be better than your legendary gear. Nightmare 4 is the same thing. You go from feeling invincible and conquering the capstone to feeling weak and underpowered
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:27 pm Man I got to lvl 50 and hit a wall..it took forever to get to 51...before the fifties I was cruising along gaining lvls like mad and having a lot of skill points to spend..now its all dried up. Worst part is I see two skills I need and cant get without a couple points to put into them. I dont want to have to reset this entire skill tree but may have too if I dont lvl better soon. Is there a cost to resetting the skill tree or amount of time it can be done? If not thats kinda handy then.
Yeah, there's a nominal gold fee, but it's incredibly low in gold. And you can do it as many times as you want. It will cost more with every level you gain, and I think it also might increase with the number of times you do it, but I'm not sure about that last....
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cost of resetting is insignificant, you can respec easily. Is your level 50 transition also include going the Nightmare 3?
No still at 2 veteran. But have been thinking of going to three as 2 now feels kinda easy.

But man i the necro getting boring. All I do is stand and use my range attack..for the last 30 lvls or more. YAWN. I want new skills...so thinking of respec'n. Shall see. But he is boring me.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:05 pm
Cost of resetting is insignificant, you can respec easily. Is your level 50 transition also include going the Nightmare 3?
No still at 2 veteran. But have been thinking of going to three as 2 now feels kinda easy.

But man i the necro getting boring. All I do is stand and use my range attack..for the last 30 lvls or more. YAWN. I want new skills...so thinking of respec'n. Shall see. But he is boring me.
Of all my characters the necromancer is the squishiest. Even the sorcerer is tougher. Be aware that paragon levels don't bring new powers but they do enhance the hell out of existing powers. One thing I saw on necro I started doing was sacrificing the ogre for enhanced attack speed which seemed to make him even more of a killing machine
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sorc is my next / alt build. Wanna try a cold sorc like my old blizzard orb one from D2.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:05 pm

Diablo 4 is like Borderlands. The real meat of the gameplay only starts after the cap. And by the time you hit 50, the XP is so slow that it takes forever to level up. World Tier 2 is +20% XP from WT 1. WT 3 is =100%. I leveled up more in the first hour at WT 3 than I did in the last two acts of the campaign combined. Finish the campaign if you haven't, then go do the dungeon in the cathedral of light in Kyovashart to unlock it.

Be warned: You will get your ass kicked when you switch to World Tier 3. It's a big step up. But that butt-stomping only lasts a little while until you get gear. When you hit World Tier 3, you start to find a new type of gear called "Sacred." It's an upgraded legendary. There are two quick ways to get it, and one more efficient way later. So, first, do these two things:

#1 - do the post-game quest related to the Tree of Whispers. Lorath gives it to you - it's called Whispers of the Dead. It gives you a bunch of objectives in different zones. Do enough to get 10 'Whispers', turn them in at the tree, and get a huge cache of goods, resources, and sigils (remember this.) They are really, really fast to do. Whispers look like this on the map:

#2 - do Helltides. Bookmark this timer, or look it up on your phone. Helltides are special events. Helltides last an hour, then are gone for a little over an hour, then show up again for an hour. They cover a couple of zones, which turn red, and they look like this:

Go there. The enemies will always be three levels above you. Kill them. They will drop cinders. This is your currency. If you die, you will lose half. When it ends after an hour, you will lose any you haven't spent. The currency is spent on chests that spawn all over the place. Some, like armor and rings cost 75 cinders. Amulets and 1h weapons cost 125. Heavy weapons are 150, 'Mystery' chests cost 250, and Living Steel chests cost 300. Start with the cheap ones until you fill some slots. Don't hoard a bunch - just pick a cheap chest on the map and run to it, killing everything along the way, and when you get enough, open it. At this point, you can start scrapping anything that's not Legendary, and very soon you'll be scrapping everything that isn't Sacred. The chests look like this:

Just worry about that until you get some gear. If you are having trouble getting geared up, I'd be happy to assist. Again, just send me a friend request (it's done through Battle.net, not the game - my name is Blackhawk#1791 .)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

This next part is for after you have some better gear and are kicking some ass again. There are two things to do:

#1 - is nightmare dungeons. When you finish each Tree of Whispers cache, you have a chance to get sigils. Sigils are 'dungeon upgrade tokens' for a specific dungeon. The first ones you'll get are Tier 1. You right click it to use it, and you'll be able to teleport right to that dungeon and run it (hit the tab key right after using the sigil for the map to use the teleport.) It will make the dungeon a little tougher, and it will add a couple of random modifiers to it, like Diablo 3 Rifts. Run it, and you'll usually get another sigil or two. It may be the same tier, or it may be a higher tier. The higher the tier, the more XP, and the more (and better) loot you'll find. Running that tier 2 will give you a chance at tier 3+ sigils, etc. That's where the best loot and XP in the game is.

Also, make sure you use the pedestal that shows up at the end of each boss fight to upgrade one of your glyphs. That's very important.

#2 - Season quest/Vampiric Powers. You get a whole new set of powers that will make you way more powerful and let you do cool stuff. Go to Ked Bardu. Look for a quest on the notice board ("Blood Money".) It will give you a mini-campaign and introduce you to the new system, including unlocking some of the powers. After that, you'll want to do some Blood Harvests.

Blood Harvests are another type of special event, this time limited only to the current season. The Harvest is always active, but moves every hour (although you don't lose anything when it does.) It looks like this on the map:

Go there. Kill shit. Collect lures and keys, plus Potent Blood. Use lures in the 15-blood pedestals to summon more powerful enemies that drop even more Potent Blood (the 50-blood pedestals require that all three be active at once, so 150 blood lures - it's usually a thing several people work together on.) Use the keys to unlock special chests that glow golden. Get loot. Get Potent Blood. Use the Potent Blood to unlock more vampiric powers and to upgrade the ones you have.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just made a sorc to test. Very exhilarating. Having to dodge incoming attacks and tossing out spells. Sure feels like my old beginning sorcs of yesterday "You are low on mana" "You are too low on mana" lol. Im lvl 7 and put my points into the starting attack and orb..I love otb. Its my favorite thing. Also into a bigger mana pool. Grabbed teleport too..ziiip ziiIiip..love that to get to places later.

Ok with my main the necro...should I stay at world tier 2 until I finish the campaign? I just had my first run is with the pale man ..Lilith's helper guy...Elias I think is his name. Thats where I am in the story.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:21 pm Ok with my main the necro...should I stay at world tier 2 until I finish the campaign?
You don't have a choice. You have to finish the campaign in order to access the capstone dungeon (which unlocks the next tier.)

It's why most people doing seasonal content (after the first time they've played the campaign) skip the campaign during character creation.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dont know what the capstone dungeon is . So guess I need to play my Necro hard and good until the end. I dont think it could be much further but the map looks like I still have a huge amount of area to see yet. Im lvl 51 and just fought Elias until he ran.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Agreed. Only focus on finishing the campaign.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:31 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:21 pm Ok with my main the necro...should I stay at world tier 2 until I finish the campaign?
You don't have a choice. You have to finish the campaign in order to access the capstone dungeon (which unlocks the next tier.)

It's why most people doing seasonal content (after the first time they've played the campaign) skip the campaign during character creation.
Like Blackhawk said, have to finish the campaign. But at the beginning of each new world tier it has felt like a different game until you finally get decent gear for that tier. Tier 4 makes all the stuff before seem like the tutorial for the real game that is Tier 4...at least that is my view as someone with max character of 76
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:56 pm Dont know what the capstone dungeon is .
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:31 pm You have to finish the campaign in order to access the capstone dungeon (which unlocks the next tier.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaddison wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:18 pm

Like Blackhawk said, have to finish the campaign. But at the beginning of each new world tier it has felt like a different game until you finally get decent gear for that tier. Tier 4 makes all the stuff before seem like the tutorial for the real game that is Tier 4...at least that is my view as someone with max character of 76
I'm getting close to 70, and looking forward to finding out. WT 3 is getting extremely easy.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:43 pm
Jaddison wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:18 pm

I'm getting close to 70, and looking forward to finding out. WT 3 is getting extremely easy.
until you get decent ancestral gear it is humbling...like so humbling I have stopped to go play an alt so I feel like I have some power
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh well. I was on the third leg of being led through the blinding sand storm desert by an old man who thought Lorath was Deckard Cain when I lost connection and it dumped me out. No telling where it puts me when I get back in. Most likely Ill have to start this all over again. Dammit. What a time to lose connection.