Pictures and Videos for R&P

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Unagi

Re: Pictures and Videos for R&P

Post by Unagi »

AWS260 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:03 pm Love this art.

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:01 pm That picture is fantasticfabulous.

ftfy, love
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

"Black Lives Matter." Amen.

"No Human Being Is Illegal." For sure.

"Abolish the Police." Umm.....WTF?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:01 pm That picture is fantastic.
+1
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:48 pm "Black Lives Matter." Amen.

While I can't speak for that individual, this and similar sentiments are generally not a call for anarchy. It's a response to utterly venal police departments steeped in racism. It's this:

Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

AWS260 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:58 pm
YellowKing wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:48 pm "Black Lives Matter." Amen.

While I can't speak for that individual, this and similar sentiments are generally not a call for anarchy. It's a response to utterly venal police departments steeped in racism. It's this:

Which basically means the creation of a rapid response mental health system. We have had no stomach for any publicly funded compassionate mental health programs so far, why would this change now?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Randy Rainbow at it again

"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Let's spare a thought for the original Antifa activist.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The Meal wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:09 am Randy Rainbow at it again
I've said it before, but he's a treasure. I legitimately hope he wins some type of award and gains national recognition when this is all over.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:28 am
The Meal wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:09 am Randy Rainbow at it again
I've said it before, but he's a treasure. I legitimately hope he wins some type of award and gains national recognition when this is all over.
Presidential Medal of Freedom
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Enlarge Image

"Boots on the Ground"
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I'm proud of the MLS team I support.

Hodor.
Holman

Post by Holman »

This is the courtyard of the Boston statehouse where the first patriots (including African-American Crispus Attucks) were killed by government soldiers at the dawn of the American Revolution.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

These folks have been doing great ads as well.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:56 pm These folks have been doing great ads as well.

What's more, it was a terrible terrible speech.

I don't know if the ad includes this line (I watched it yesterday), but she actually says something like "The philosopher Joseph Campbell says that a hero... [blah blah canned Joseph Campbell stuff]."

It's painfully obvious that she went to a database of famous quotations and looked up "hero." It's a move I've seen in a thousand lazy undergraduate essays. You can spot it a mile away.

Ivanka is so vapid. It's entirely possible that she's dumber than Eric.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

And to think, back in the Celebrity Apprentice days, when I was so dumb and naive to think that the Trump family would never amount to anything more than mindless entertainment, I thought Ivanka was the only one who had her shit together.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:35 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:56 pm These folks have been doing great ads as well.

What's more, it was a terrible terrible speech.

I don't know if the ad includes this line (I watched it yesterday), but she actually says something like "The philosopher Joseph Campbell says that a hero... [blah blah canned Joseph Campbell stuff]."

It's painfully obvious that she went to a database of famous quotations and looked up "hero." It's a move I've seen in a thousand lazy undergraduate essays. You can spot it a mile away.

Ivanka is so vapid. It's entirely possible that she's dumber than Eric.
The Appeal to Authority with a Thousand Faces.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Was he just complaining about the EU ripping us off on the Maine lobster they sell us?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Paingod wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:39 pm Was he just complaining about the EU ripping us off on the Maine lobster they sell us?
I think it was putting a tariff on the lobster we sell them? I hope?

Edit: I think you're right. The EU is fishing off Maine and doesn't have a 20% tax that Maine does? Maybe? Not enough there to really understand.

Edit 2: Isgrimnur has us covered.
Last edited by stessier on Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Apparently he's complaining that the EU has an 8% duty on live lobster imported from the US.
Mr Trump said that Europe had been “almost as bad over the years as China in terms of trade”, complaining that the EU could import Canadian lobsters duty-free under the Canadian-EU trade agreement, which has been in force since September 2017.

By contrast, US live lobsters face an 8 per cent duty in the bloc, which Maine’s congressional representatives have said is unfair — especially as American lobster producers look to make up for dwindling sales to China, which slapped a retaliatory 25 per cent tariff on the product in 2018 amid the US-China trade war.

Washington and Brussels are trying to eke out a limited “mini” trade deal. EU trade commissioner Phil Hogan made visits to the US capital this year to discuss a way forward before the coronavirus pandemic took hold.

The two trading partners have been locked in a series of disputes, including a major battle over the state subsidisation of airlines, which has seen the US put 25 per cent levies on a wide range of European and British products.
Luckily, trade wars are very easy to win.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

From Isgrimnur's post:
At the same meeting, Trump signed an order instantly removing fishing restrictions imposed under president Barack Obama on 5,000 square miles (12,949 square km) of ocean off the coast of Maine.
This is ... horrible. Maine has issues right now with fish populations. Ripping the band-aid off a bleeding wound doesn't help it heal. Obama created that "monument" as a wildlife preserve to help ensure we'd have lobster from Maine for the future. Trump is literally trying to invite hunters into a national wildlife preserve here. Just because it has Obama's name on it.
The monument was created in 2016 during the administration of former President Barack Obama and covers about 5,000 square miles of offshore land southeast of Cape Cod.

It is seen as a biodiverse haven for sea corals, endangered whales and numerous fish species. The monument was the subject of a federal court battle in recent years, as fishing, lobster and crabbing industry groups contended that the designation restricted where they could fish. The designation was upheld by the U.S. Court of Appeals in Washington, D.C., last year.
Thankfully, Trump may not have the authority to deregulate this national monument.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Waaaay back in college, I majored in Wildlife Biology. For one of the classes (probably during a lab), we used fishing software to learn about over-fishing and population control. The idea was to see who could amass the most fish over a period of time. I'd like to say that my faulty memory had me winning. But I believe I got trounced pretty badly. Why? Because I had the most fish early on. But then apparently I managed to do so "well" that I fished my area to extinction. I believe at the end the software would show you the remaining population. Mine was at zero. It was definitely a lesson in the dangers of over-fishing. And the importance of sustainable fishing.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:47 pm And to think, back in the Celebrity Apprentice days, when I was so dumb and naive to think that the Trump family would never amount to anything more than mindless entertainment, I thought Ivanka was the only one who had her shit together.
I take solace in the belief that she no longer gets invited to the A List celebrity stuff she wants to attend, but rather has to socialize with people she used to shit on in private. People she feels are "beneath her". The hope that she hates her life now is a constant source of comfort for me.
Now depoliticized.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:05 am
YellowKing wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:47 pm And to think, back in the Celebrity Apprentice days, when I was so dumb and naive to think that the Trump family would never amount to anything more than mindless entertainment, I thought Ivanka was the only one who had her shit together.
I take solace in the belief that she no longer gets invited to the A List celebrity stuff she wants to attend, but rather has to socialize with people she used to shit on in private. People she feels are "beneath her". The hope that she hates her life now is a constant source of comfort for me.
She and Jared made $28,000,000+ last year.

In the world of 1%, wealth matters far more than integrity. Fox News hosts go to parties with the celebrities they attack onscreen.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, but the Trumps seem especially reviled in the celebrity circles they used to so desperately try to join.
Now depoliticized.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:44 am Yeah, but the Trumps seem especially reviled in the celebrity circles they used to so desperately try to join.
They don't need those circles anymore. They surround themselves with sycophants and yes-men.

When Kushner needs to take a fall, things might get kind of nasty but the wagons will just circle bit tighter and the self-delusion will crank up.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:50 am
hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:44 am Yeah, but the Trumps seem especially reviled in the celebrity circles they used to so desperately try to join.
They don't need those circles anymore. They surround themselves with sycophants and yes-men.

When Kushner needs to take a fall, things might get kind of nasty but the wagons will just circle bit tighter and the self-delusion will crank up.
They have moved from A and B List celebs to behind the scenes industrialist and financial sector billionaire citizens of the world. I'm guessing that's where they've always wanted to be anyway.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, I want to thank each and every one of you bastards for trying to destroy any source of comfort I might have had.
Now depoliticized.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:03 am Well, I want to thank each and every one of you bastards for trying to destroy any source of comfort I might have had.
Vote. Assuming he is ousted from office and loses his influence, they will lose their seats at the tables of the Oligarchs, the industrialists, and the financiers; and celebs won't take them back.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I assumed people weren't stupid enough to elect a reality tv show host as president in 2016 and look where that got me.
Now depoliticized.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sorry. It's the best I have to offer and it's the only source of comfort I have. :oops:
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

TheMix wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:53 am Waaaay back in college, I majored in Wildlife Biology. For one of the classes (probably during a lab), we used fishing software to learn about over-fishing and population control. The idea was to see who could amass the most fish over a period of time. I'd like to say that my faulty memory had me winning. But I believe I got trounced pretty badly. Why? Because I had the most fish early on. But then apparently I managed to do so "well" that I fished my area to extinction. I believe at the end the software would show you the remaining population. Mine was at zero. It was definitely a lesson in the dangers of over-fishing. And the importance of sustainable fishing.
I saw this first hand with red snapper fishing off the Texas Gulf Coast. In '93, we would go offshore fishing and it wasn't a matter of if you'd get your bag limit of 5, it was how quickly and how big. We would routinely throw the smallest back to keep a bigger one.

Within a decade, the limits were reduced to 2, and it was commonplace not to even hit that.

With the reduced limits and limitations on fishing season, the populations are clearly higher and healthier and we are getting good sized fish on a regular basis once again.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
malchior

Post by malchior »

:lol:

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was ready to call this guy an idiot until the zingers started. :lol:
Now depoliticized.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol: perfect
Now depoliticized.
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:36 pm I was ready to call this guy an idiot until the zingers started. :lol:
I yelled over to my wife to listen to this fool. Maybe people are going crazy about Nascar already....then I heard the first joke and was like...head tilt...oh...this guy is cool. 'Treason rag'. Lol.