Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: Political Randomness

Post by El Guapo »

One thing that I'm interested in is that Richard Shelby, the other Alabama Senator, has been consistently and vocally opposed to Moore. He's said that he is (has already?) casting a write-in vote for a GOP candidate other than Moore, and said in a TV appearance yesterday that Alabama can "do better" than Moore. Shelby appears to be pretty popular in Alabama, so I wonder if he could materially swing things.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Newsweek
The America First Project published a video Sunday that showed Millie March—who rose to fame at the age of 11 during the 2016 election due to her support for Donald Trump—interviewing Moore as part of his campaign for election in Alabama.

In the interview, Moore tells March he believes illegal immigration to the U.S. could be stopped “in a relatively short time” using America’s military before President Trump builds a wall on the border.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I just had a fun client meeting at a major financial institution today. I'm working with a group developing a long-term cyber strategy for them. In an interview today the chief audit executive in charge of internal audit just told our group that they believe their biggest risk is now political risk. What does that mean? He said in eloquent ways that tax rates influence their strategy quite a bit. More so, they don't know that tax policy, or the compliance/regulatory environment won't whipsaw in a different direction in 4 to 8 years if a Dem ends up back in the White House. They also are worried by their potential exposure to Brexit or EU wackiness. It is crazy times.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:54 pm I just had a fun client meeting at a major financial institution today. I'm working with a group developing a long-term cyber strategy for them. In an interview today the chief audit executive in charge of internal audit just told our group that they believe their biggest risk is now political risk. What does that mean? He said in eloquent ways that tax rates influence their strategy quite a bit. More so, they don't know that tax policy, or the compliance/regulatory environment won't whipsaw in a different direction in 4 to 8 years if a Dem ends up back in the White House. They also are worried by their potential exposure to Brexit or EU wackiness. It is crazy times.
It makes sense. The current tax bills are written, both as a procedural and a political matter, such that they are disproportionately likely to be repealed. At least the upper income parts (which is the bulk of it).
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'll lay down my marker: Roy Moore will win this. Tomorrow the last vestiges of the party of Lincoln will be swept away.

I do think a Doug Jones win is *possible*, though, and that's pretty astonishing.

If he pulls it off, it will be because Jones (despite being a lukewarm candidate of the sort never expected to have any chance) has managed a pretty good endgame GOTV push. A win will mean he pulled in pretty much every Republican who still has a conscience.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I predict Moore wins but that as has become their loss insurance it will be claimed by the left that losing is winning.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Nate Silver on the Alabama polls.

A lot of discussion on the live vs. automated polls (and also online polls). One interesting note is that automated polls are by law prohibited from calling cell phones, and cell phone voters (per the polls) support Jones by an overwhelming margin - Jones +30. So that would be a big part of explaining the difference of Jones +10 in Fox (live polling) vs. Moore +9 (automated polling). Though as Silver says there are cases to be made for both methods, and the ultimate question is how the various polls ultimately translate into who shows up at the ballot box on election day.

FWIW Silver gives Jones a roughly 30% chance of winning.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Rip wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:48 pm I predict Moore wins but that as has become their loss insurance it will be claimed by the left that losing is winning.
I also believe that Moore will win by a few points (4 - 6) and then then Trump will claim it as a great victory even though any other GOP candidate would win the state by 25.
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Moore by 7 or 8 points, confirming Holman’s point, that the Party of Lincoln is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I count republican wins these days more less a win for them as a lose for the American citizen.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I think Alabama will validate my low opinion of it by electing the pedophile on the strength of the pussy-grabber's endorsement.

I'll be tickled if they surprise me.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Rip wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:48 pm I predict Moore wins but that as has become their loss insurance it will be claimed by the left that losing is winning.
In the event of a Jones win, I predict that Trump will blame it on illegal voting by thousands of Syrian refugees flown in from Massachusetts on Deep State aircraft, and that millions of Deplorables will believe him.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:23 pmIn the event of a Jones win, I predict that Trump will blame it on illegal voting by thousands of Syrian refugees flown in from Massachusetts on Deep State aircraft, and that millions of Deplorables will believe him.
Well, it's going to be a bit harder to claim that now.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Smoove_B wrote:
Holman wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:23 pmIn the event of a Jones win, I predict that Trump will blame it on illegal voting by thousands of Syrian refugees flown in from Massachusetts on Deep State aircraft, and that millions of Deplorables will believe him.
Why oh why wouldn’t this be common practice? Why does it require the court to enforce this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Nothing surprises me anymore.

Except maybe that. That surprised me.
Holman

Post by Holman »

That was... really weirdly chilling.

I can't get over seeing all these right-wing extremists supporting Putin for the sake of white supremacy. I understand how it adds up in theory, but my Cold War youth still tells me it shouldn't work like that.

Every one of these shitbags is worse than Hanoi Jane, and at least she apologized.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yet they have so many American supporting them with so much apathy from the other side that they stay in power and all you see is people clapping for them on tv.

And how the hell does same sex marriage hurt anyone?????
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Roy's spokesperson...a real dumbass.

Anderson Cooper ripping her a new one.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

According to an opinion piece from the fake news, the race might already be over:
In Alabama, an estimated 118,000 registered voters do not have a photo ID they can use to vote. Black and Latino voters are nearly twice as likely as white voters to lack such documentation.

In other words, Alabama’s law is nothing but a naked attempt to suppress the voting rights of people of color.
And:
The photo ID law isn’t the only obstacle in front of Alabama voters. My organization is also challenging the state’s felon disfranchisement law, which affects an estimated 250,000 people here — 15 percent of Alabama’s black voting age population, but fewer than five percent of whites.

The law bars people with felonies of “moral turpitude” from voting.
I guess it's a good thing dating 14 year old girls isn't a felony of "moral turpitude" that could possibly be applicable here.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

Scoop20906 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:41 pm
Smoove_B wrote:
Why oh why wouldn’t this be common practice? Why does it require the court to enforce this?
I don't have a link, but I just read that the AL Supreme Court has overturned this ruling at the government's request.

That is, the state asked not to preserve the ballots and the Court said OK.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Holman wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:24 am
Scoop20906 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:41 pm
Smoove_B wrote:
I don't have a link, but I just read that the AL Supreme Court has overturned this ruling at the government's request.

That is, the state asked not to preserve the ballots and the Court said OK.
What is their stated reason for this, and how in the world is it not mandatory that the supervisors of election in each county keep a record of the ballots cast?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm just shocked anyone in Alabama knows the word "turpitude."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:07 am I'm just shocked anyone in Alabama knows the word "turpitude."
That's that pine stuff that's used as when painting, right?
Holman

Post by Holman »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:07 am I'm just shocked anyone in Alabama knows the word "turpitude."
Come on, now. Save that for the Deplorables.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

What are you trying to say? The only reason I have an inkling of what Moral Turpitude is, is because I've seen Porky's.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

My final guess is Moore +4 as the outcome. But with polls being all over the place, I don't think there's any outcome that would really surprise me.
Black Lives Matter.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm torn between wanting Moore to lose because I don't support child predators in public office, and wanting Moore to win as another nail in the coffin of the Republican party.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:42 pm I'm torn between wanting Moore to lose because I don't support child predators in public office, and wanting Moore to win as another nail in the coffin of the Republican party.
Both outcomes are bad for the Republican Party, so I'm not especially torn. The GOP needs to lose power before they will learn any real lessons.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:42 pm I'm torn between wanting Moore to lose because I don't support child predators in public office, and wanting Moore to win as another nail in the coffin of the Republican party.
I see him as a symptom. There is no torn. I want what's best for the US and that is for the collapse of the republican party before they get their stranglehold on what it means to be legal and before the party of Trump takes us past the point of no return.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:47 pm
Both outcomes are bad for the Republican Party, so I'm not especially torn. The GOP needs to lose power before they will learn any real lessons.
It's a devil's bargain. The sooner it happens, the less damage they can do. The longer it takes, the more likely is that they never rise again.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:51 pm
It's a devil's bargain. The sooner it happens, the less damage they can do. The longer it takes, the more likely is that they never rise again.
I'm more worried that the longer it takes, the less likely it is that they'll ever have to give up power.
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:56 pm
I'm more worried that the longer it takes, the less likely it is that they'll ever have to give up power.
This. The voter suppression is a horrible thing.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Remus West wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:43 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:56 pm
This. The voter suppression is a horrible thing.
I worry today will be a test run.

In final-hour order, court rules that Alabama can destroy digital voting records after all

That sounds... sketchy. Also:
https://twitter.com/pemalevy/status/940213538106302464

And testimony of the voting experience this morning by one African American voter:
https://twitter.com/iAnnalise/status/940608135814934529
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

This appears to be of some comfort.
Black Lives Matter.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Okay, but what's the rationale for erasing the digital records? Without them you might not be able to confirm that they correctly tabulated the paper ballots. The paper ballots themselves are not counted... they're fed into the machine for tabulation.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

"Your hair is darker"??? Is that code for, "Your skin is dark"?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Enough

Post by Enough »

Watching Moore try and ride that horse to the polls is pure hilarity. Dude is clearly all hat and no cattle.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Holman

Post by Holman »

Moore's cowboy schtick is just macho cosplay.
link

The replies are fun.
malchior

Post by malchior »

No wonder he admires Putin. This could be straight out of Russian propaganda aside from the fact that Putin is a pro at this type of showmanship and this is ridiculously amateur hour at best.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I know absolutely nothing about horses or riding them, and even I can tell he has almost no control over his body while riding. He's tilting to one side, he's popping off the saddle without absorbing the motion with his legs, and it looks like he's falling forward onto the horse's neck when the video ends.