Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: Political Randomness

Post by El Guapo »

Captain Caveman wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:30 pm Okay, but what's the rationale for erasing the digital records? Without them you might not be able to confirm that they correctly tabulated the paper ballots. The paper ballots themselves are not counted... they're fed into the machine for tabulation.
I don't know. But presumably as long as you have the paper ballots you have the option of a hand recount if there's some indication of wrongdoing. The suspicion (I assume) is that the deletion of digital records may be one way to avoid producing or having any 'indication of wrongdoing' that would create pressure for a hand recount.

It doesn't look good to be sure. I'm just saying that it's good that the paper ballots will be preserved. There are some states (like Pennsylvania) where they use digital voting machines with no paper ballots, where there's (as I understand it) no real way to do a recount, which is terrifying.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So, we'll see what happens tonight. After I head home at 5:30, going to stay offline until late, until there are hopefully some definitive results. Realistically until the NY Times app buzzes me with more definitive information.

In some ways this is a win-win, in that either the democrats get an unexpected pickup, or the Republicans get a Roy Moore sized anchor around them heading into 2018.
Black Lives Matter.
Rip

Post by Rip »

For a group that thinks they win no matter what happens you guys sure do seem to be overly interested in this single race......
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rip wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:30 pm For a group that thinks they win no matter what happens you guys sure do seem to be overly interested in this single race......
I'm confused. Why do you think this is noteworthy?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Rip wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:30 pm For a group that thinks they win no matter what happens you guys sure do seem to be overly interested in this single race......
Yeah. Why in the world would we be interested in the election of a racist pedophile bigot? In the total collapse of norms? In the death of the GOP, especially since what is replacing it is so much worse for the Republic?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Let's be fair, Alleged pedophile.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I dunno, personally I'm more focused on the local comptroller election.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

And for a guy so heavily invested in “individual liberty”, you seem awfully unconcerned about a electing a guy whose stated goal is to turn the country into a Christian theocracy.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Rip wrote:For a group that thinks they win no matter what happens you guys sure do seem to be overly interested in this single race......
Yeah. For the good of both parties and America we don’t want Moore to win. The man does not belong in the Senate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Holman

Post by Holman »

Nate Silver just tweeted about widespread reports of high turnout.

This probably helps Jones, but it's all a question of how much is enough,
Rip

Post by Rip »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:58 pm
And for a guy so heavily invested in “individual liberty”, you seem awfully unconcerned about a electing a guy whose stated goal is to turn the country into a Christian theocracy.
That might come into play if his opponent was some champion of individual liberty. But he is not, far from it.
— Benjamin Rush
--
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:08 pm Nate Silver just tweeted about widespread reports of high turnout.

This probably helps Jones, but it's all a question of how much is enough,

If you're referring to this, while it's hard to tell, I'm pretty sure that he's just making fun of election commentators here. E.g., "Wow, I'm getting lots of reports confirming what I already believed / expected / predicted."
Black Lives Matter.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Rip wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:11 pm
That might come into play if his opponent was some champion of individual liberty. But he is not, far from it.
Compared to Roy Moore? Yeah, he is.
Rip

Post by Rip »

geezer wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:17 pm
Yea, what positions of his are at the forefront of individual liberty? Gun restrictions? Mandated healthcare?

About the only individual liberty that I can think of he supports is the right to kill your unborn babies. Beyond that he is a pure nanny stater.

If anything I would write in Ron Bishop.
— Benjamin Rush
--
geezer

Post by geezer »

Rip wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:24 pm
Yea, what positions of his are at the forefront of individual liberty? Gun restrictions? Mandated healthcare?

About the only individual liberty that I can think of he supports is the right to kill your unborn babies. Beyond that he is a pure nanny stater.
The right of women to hold elected office? The right to not have the state impose an official religion on an individual? Jones doesn't need to be at the forefront of individual liberty - he just needs to not be a regressive theocratic redneck asshole to put him miles ahead of Roy Moore..
Rip

Post by Rip »

geezer wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:29 pm

The right of women to hold elected office? The right to not have the state impose an official religion on an individual? Jones doesn't need to be at the forefront of individual liberty - he just needs to not be a regressive theocratic redneck asshole to put him miles ahead of Roy Moore..
Yea, because those are issues the congress will be deciding.

:roll:
— Benjamin Rush
--
Holman

Post by Holman »

The blinking here is awesome.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Rip wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:33 pm

You don't think those views translate to other issues? Really?
geezer

Post by geezer »

Rip wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:33 pm

His (18)50's era social mores and utter lack of respect for the rule of law would impact every vote he casts. Those things above are merely symptoms of his disease, and evidence of his lack of fitness to govern.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Surprising exactly no one:

Credible source reporting 90-minute waits, long lines in predominantly black precinct in Mobile with only one person verifying IDs. Shorter wait times in predominantly white areas. Can anyone verify?
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Also, if the debate is about who wants to restrict more freedoms, I'm not sure you can top this:

Does Roy Moore think that homosexual conduct should be illegal?

Roy Moore campaign spokesman: “Probably.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

[Talking politics:] "That's what my Bible tells me... That's what this is about."

There you go.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:48 pm Surprising exactly no one:

Credible source reporting 90-minute waits, long lines in predominantly black precinct in Mobile with only one person verifying IDs. Shorter wait times in predominantly white areas. Can anyone verify?
The state and municipalities are posting police officers to do open-warrant checks at polling places.

It's completely unconstitutional, but who's going to stop them?
geezer

Post by geezer »

Holman wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:05 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:48 pm Surprising exactly no one:

The state and municipalities are posting police officers to do open-warrant checks at polling places.

It's completely unconstitutional, but who's going to stop them?
I haven't heard that, but I'm not surprised.

In more encouraging news, early exit polling is showing that blacks comprise 30% of voters vs 26% of statewide population, and that approval of Jones is split 49%/49% while voters show a highly unfavorable/favorable split (something like 52/36, but I dont recall exactly) against Roy Moore.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Captain Caveman wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:14 pm
And testimony of the voting experience this morning by one African American voter:
https://twitter.com/iAnnalise/status/940608135814934529

"Sorry, you are not authorized to see this status."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

This account's Tweets are protected.
Probably brigaded.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The people running our government and those wanting in to run our government are dumber than cat shit. Maddening to see such stupidity in charge and even supported by other dirt brained voters.

https://livefyre-media.s3.amazonaws.com ... ef589a.mp4

Seems smart folk are a minority these days in the country.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:45 pm
Captain Caveman wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:14 pm
And testimony of the voting experience this morning by one African American voter:
https://twitter.com/iAnnalise/status/940608135814934529

"Sorry, you are not authorized to see this status."
I remember her name, and I saw her tweets just a few hours ago. Probably she privatized her account this afternoon after attacks from racists.

What she was describing was bureaucratic intimidation at the polls of the sort designed to make (black) voters go home.
Holman

Post by Holman »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:07 am I'm just shocked anyone in Alabama knows the word "turpitude."
Here you go.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

and to add to that - from wikipedia:

'Moral turpitude is a legal concept in the United States and some other countries that refers to "an act or behavior that gravely violates the sentiment or accepted standard of the community". '
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

So actually pretty apt here.
Black Lives Matter
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:50 pm Also, if the debate is about who wants to restrict more freedoms, I'm not sure you can top this:

Does Roy Moore think that homosexual conduct should be illegal?

Roy Moore campaign spokesman: “Probably.
/vomit
18-1™ & 2-0
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That guy is comedy gold.. The end of that interview is effing hilarious. :lol:
Now depoliticized.
malchior

Post by malchior »

CNN exit poll. Sexual misconduct allegations did not matter 54% to 41%. Fuck AL.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

According to the Failing NYT (tm):
Roy Moore leads by 5 percentage points over Doug Jones with 21 percent of precincts fully reporting.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

CNN exit poll is saying 1/5 moderate and liberal Republicans (whatever that means) voted for Jones. Probably won’t be enough.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

malchior wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:04 pm CNN exit poll. Sexual misconduct allegations did not matter 54% to 41%. Fuck AL.
No need. They fucked themselves.
Now depoliticized.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They've been fucking family members for decades.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hope springs eternal.
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's pretty much a nail-biter. Minute-by-minute you see Moore under-perform here and over-perform there while Jones is doing well but hovering on the margin of not-well-enough.

I think Moore will win in a close race, but that closeness is the story. Republicans would normally be able to count on 20-30% margins in Alabama.

(Forgotten in all this: if they'd nominated Luther Strange, tonight you wouldn't even be watching the returns.)