Wasteland 2 - Impressions start page 8

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Wasteland 2 - Impressions start page 8

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: MOD support
Oh, come on, not you too! Mod is not an acronym!

;)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Blackhawk wrote:
Smoove_B wrote: MOD support
Oh, come on, not you too! Mod is not an acronym!

;)
Yes. Let's nip this trend in the bud now!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sorry. It's my habit of turning file extensions into capital letters. Please don't LMP me with everyone or put this in any type of LOG. Thanks.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, here's a question: Is California longer or shorter than Arizona?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

About the same.
Black Lives Matter
RMC

Post by RMC »

Blackhawk wrote:So, here's a question: Is California longer or shorter than Arizona?
California also seems to me to be a little less polished, but there are more 'pop-up' type missions. IE - the radio guy calls you and says, go to here to do X.

<shrug> Still loved the game, so not a complaint, just an observation.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Good articles on the Wasteland 2 updates coming whenever:

http://www.gameranx.com/features/id/273 ... s-tale-iv/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... d-xbox-one

Improvements:

1) Graphics
2) Combat
3) Controller support
4) Character development - Quirks and Perks
5) Coming to consoles

I got most of the way through Arizona before I stopped to await the new changes. Looks like they will be worth it, but I really want to play the game. Sounds like it will be later rather than sooner. Fargo won't say how well it did but it mus have done pretty well to continue the level of support they are continuing to give. They could call the game "finished" now and most would accept it. This is just gravy right now.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ok, this game just crossed the 'annoying bug/design' line. I went to the prison after getting the hint that I needed to go there.
Spoiler:
Found out that the Skorpions were causing problems and was asked to go end their boss. Ok, I can do that. I work my way up, hit the turrets, discover I need a part from Damonta to get past the turrets. Ok, silly errand crap, but OK. I go to Damonta and get the tank tread. I don't attach the repeater, as I don't want to finish the main quest for Arizona until I wipe out the side quests.

I make my way back to the prison, put the tread on the bot, take out the turrets, head in and discover a long bank of landmines in the entrance. Guess what? My Demolitons 7 guy can't touch them - "0% - Impossible." So they can't be disarmed (like every other mine in the game). You can't shoot them (like you can every other mine in the game.) You can't blow them up (like every other mine in the game.) I spend a forking hour trying to figure out how to get through or around them, then go looking for spoilers.

Amidst a slew of other people with the same problem I discover that the mine field is there to block you from finishing the sidequest until the main quest is complete. Finish that and the mines just aren't there anymore. It is so contrary to how people play games like this that it never even crossed my mind - you don't hit the point of no return until there is nothing else left to do. Not only that, there is no clue, no hint, that you have to finish main quest stage F before this one, single sidequest when every other side quest was exactly the opposite.

It is a cheap, lazy design gimmick, and sloppily implemented at that.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Huh. Yeah. That would be annoying. I was "lucky" and did it in the order they wanted, I guess.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Quitch

Post by Quitch »

I found I just sort of stopped playing this and never came back to it. It's a combat heavy game saddled with a really poor combat system which is all about maximising your damage output in a turn and nothing more. XCOM and Shadowrun are both far better examples. And this wouldn't be a big deal if the story and characters made up for it, but they're so utterly unmemorable. There's even a joke ending early on where you can kill yourself, but it then proceeds to give away the mystery behind the story!!

I had fun at first, but eventually the combat just wore me down.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I'll probably take another look after the GOTY edition comes out, and maybe hit it with the weapon rebalance mod, unless the devs tweak weapon balance.
Black Lives Matter
RMC

Post by RMC »

I enjoyed the setting and finished all of Arizona, and then got to the next stage.

This part I have not really enjoyed. And I got to a part where they took one of my characters hostage... <sigh> I hate that...

So I have not gone back to finish it yet. I plan too, but it is going to take me a while to get back to it.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

RMC wrote:
This part I have not really enjoyed. And I got to a part where they took one of my characters hostage... <sigh> I hate that...

So I have not gone back to finish it yet. I plan too, but it is going to take me a while to get back to it.
If you are where I think you are, you can get your party member back really fast. I was worried about that section as well since they took my skill mule, but I actually managed to get through it in about 10 minutes. That town also has some of the most interesting quests in the game, so definitely worth poking around a bit.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

http://www.rpgwatch.com/#31737
Newport Beach, CA - May 6, 2015 - inXile Entertainment recently announced the Wasteland 2 Game of the Year Edition, an enhanced and expanded update to the original game slated for late summer this year. inXile is now pleased to announce that this upcoming edition will be offered as a free upgrade to all previous crowdfunding backers and any purchasers of the original edition of Wasteland 2. This update will be released for all owners on Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux platforms.

Wasteland 2 Game of the Year Edition will include a massive host of improvements for existing fans and new players to enjoy. The game will be updated to Unity 5, the latest version of the Unity game engine, and benefits from improved environment textures, character models, and Physically Based Rendering for more impressive lighting. Thousands of lines of new voice-over have also been recorded to enrich the game's cast of original and unique characters, making this the most immersive version of the Wasteland yet.

The Game of the Year Edition update also provides major enhancements to gameplay. Players will have even more fun customizing their squad of Desert Rangers with new Perks & Quirks, which allow them to customize their squad throughout the game with unique bonuses and trade-offs. The new Precision Strike system lets players target individual body parts on enemies to inflict debilitating effects and gain the edge in combat. With overhauled game balance, item drops, and reworked combat encounters throughout the game, players will need every advantage they can get to master the dangers of the Arizona wastes.

"We wanted to re-affirm our gratitude to our backers and our dedication to RPG fans, as we have been most fortunate to return to our roots," says Brian Fargo, CEO. "We plan to continue our proud tradition with Bard's Tale IV, which we'll crowdfund later this year."
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Graphics upgrades can be seen here:

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com ... 22&t=12920

Looking pretty sweet. I also read that there will be 80 perks and 20 quirks to choose from. Sounds great!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Finally, karma repays me for putting off starting a game! Woot!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Finally, karma repays me for putting off starting a game! Woot!
Same here! LOL
-mf
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

MonkeyFinger wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:Finally, karma repays me for putting off starting a game! Woot!
Same here! LOL
Me too. I was kind of considering it last week, glad I didn't. :)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I payed through Arizona but put off finishing when I heard a balance patch was in the works. Now we get this. I plan on starting over with all of the changes being made.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Grifman wrote:I payed through Arizona but put off finishing when I heard a balance patch was in the works. Now we get this. I plan on starting over with all of the changes being made.
ditto!
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Excellent! I planned on playing it again. First time through I ran into some kind of bug where you are trying to stop the spread of a disease at the Ag center and I couldn't complete it so I left the center and then the disease infected my whole team. I had to edit my config files to rid me of the disease and also found how to get lots of ammo doing that so I want to play through again without cheating.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I fizzled out on this one, looks like a good reason to retry it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm still sitting in the first California zone, and have been for two months. I really need to get back to it.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blackhawk wrote:I'm still sitting in the first California zone, and have been for two months. I really need to get back to it.
Basically this. I stopped shortly after hitting California when I read the comments about it being buggy as hell. Figured I'd wait a bit.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I wrapped up Arizona but didn't head west due to all the complaints about how buggy that part of the game was. That was last year. Will the new upgrade be compatible with old saves or will I need to start over? There seems to be a lot of improvements so it may be worth my while to start over but there were a couple of quests that I was happy to finish and I'm not looking forward to doing them again.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jag

Post by Jag »

I'm in the same spot. Will probably just restart.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

TheMix wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:I'm still sitting in the first California zone, and have been for two months. I really need to get back to it.
Basically this. I stopped shortly after hitting California when I read the comments about it being buggy as hell. Figured I'd wait a bit.
CA has been fixed for quite a while now :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My stopping there had nothing to do with the bugs, personally. That is just where I'd gotten to before things got busy on the outside of the screen.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm thinking I may be done with this. I still haven't finished. I'm in Rodia, partway into California, and I'm burned out. I've tried to get back into the game three or four times over the past couple of months, and it just isn't clicking anymore.

The combat is part of the problem. I'm a thorough player, and this is an open world game. As is often an issue in these games, I've gotten too powerful. I don't need strategy to win anymore. I can just line my troops up. This makes the combat boring.

I'm also sick of the busy work. The carry weight is so limited that you either leave everything lying on the ground or you are encumbered after every other fight. It may be realistic, but it is a tedious pain in the ass. The slow-ass progress bars on skills don't help.

Those are the reasons I'm burned out - but I don't think this is a bad game. Not at all - I had a lot fo fun with it. I got my $20 Kickstarter investment back and then some. The good points outweigh the negatives - it just has a lot of quirks, and they've finally gotten on my nerves enough to sap my desire to continue.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wasteland 2 Director's Cut trailer -- coming "late summer".
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Looking forward to finally getting into this one when my free via-Bard's-Tale-IV copy arrives next month.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is one of many games I own and have yet to get to.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Wasteland 2 Director's Cut release date has been announced - October 13. That's a lot later than the "end of summer" as announced earlier, but I can live with that if the game comes out in good shape. Maybe I can get that played/finished before the arrival of Fallout 4 :)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

3 weeks after the end of summer, even!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Looks like the Director's cut will drop at midnight.

Complete graphics overhaul. Upgraded to the newest version of the Unity 5 game engine, featuring totally redone environment art and character models, and physically-based rendering for more natural light and shadowing.

Quirks. This new set of personality traits and characteristics for your squad have both positive and negative qualities, giving you gameplay modifiers for a more unique experience and more replayability.
Perks. New bonuses you to pick for your Ranger squad as they level up. Perks provide benefits depending on your characters' skills, and can offer new abilities, better combat effectiveness, or mastery in overcoming challenges.

Precision Strikes. This combat technique allows you to you target enemy body parts to inflict debilitating effects and injuries. Shoot an enemy in the leg to knock them over, fire on their arm to blow their weapon to bits, tear up their armor to leave them defenseless, or aim for the head to inflict critical damage.

Expanded voice over. The Wasteland is full of unique characters, and with over 8,000 new recorded lines of voiced dialog, the Director's Cut is more immersive and engaging than ever.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
tgb

Post by tgb »

Looking forward to it, especially since my rig probably can't handle F4.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Does anyone know if the save game of the "original" (non-director's cut) version will work with the director's cut? I was looking around to get an answer to this question but didn't see anything.

I'm probably 1/3 through the original version and held off playing in anticipation of the director's cut
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Ok - found the (unfortunate) answer that old save games will NOT work. Bummer. I spent quite some time with the game and I don't think it's good enough to start over and on the other hand knowing that there is a "better" new version out will probably not make me finish the original version.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I was trying to explain the differences to a friend of mine in an email and doing a pretty poor job of it. Is there anyplace that shows the two versions side by side? I can find trailers of the DC that clearly show the difference in the interface, but that's about it.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

tgb wrote:I was trying to explain the differences to a friend of mine in an email and doing a pretty poor job of it. Is there anyplace that shows the two versions side by side? I can find trailers of the DC that clearly show the difference in the interface, but that's about it.
I'm not sure it's what you're looking for, but there's an unofficial FAQ for the Director's Cut on the inXile forums that gives an overview of what the new version is bringing to the table.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch