THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Well travelled?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Madmarcus

Re: Well travelled?

Post by Madmarcus »

SAS has a nice sale going on so I just booked tickets to Prague. Now to figure out where else I'll go! Poland and Hungary are the front-runners.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Madmarcus wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:40 pm SAS has a nice sale going on so I just booked tickets to Prague. Now to figure out where else I'll go! Poland and Hungary are the front-runners.
i really liked this city, and the people were great. i would like to visit Warzaw and Krakow in Poland.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:26 pm and added. Czechia is a most pleasant surprise; really want to return here
Trip completed!

I can add Czechia, Poland, and Hungary to my list. All three were interesting and different enough to avoid burnout even on a two week trip through Central Europe. Czechia, especially outside of Prague, was nice but I don't see going back there over trying other places on my list.

On the other hand we didn't see much of Poland (only Krakow and Auschwitz) so I could see combining it with a trip to Germany or the Baltics at a later date. Krakow itself is dominated by tourists and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. Certainly the old town portion of Prague is similar, maybe even worse in places, but it still felt like a real city also. Krakow is a city outside of the tourists but I didn't get to see that side of things.

Budapest was interesting. I doubt I will go back but I'd be happy to. Very clearly a bustling city even without the tourists but also clearly full of tourists in places. It felt like a city I'd be happy to hang out in but I also feel I've seen the sites so if I went back I'd have to commit to the idea of slow travel and my wife isn't quite ready to do that!

I also touched Slovakia, Denmark, Norway, and Sweden. The last three were flight connections so I don't count them even if I slept in an airport hotel in Norway. Slovakia is more of a gray area. We took 2 sleeper trains that passed through there but we never set foot in the country so I don't think it counts.
Brian

Post by Brian »

We're heading back to Mexico on Monday. Very much looking forward to this trip.

On deck we have an Alaska cruise booked for May of next year followed by a return trip to Mexico in December of 2025.

For 2026 we are looking at doing a repositioning/transatlantic cruise on Virgin and probably another Mexico trip if we can swing it.
The repositioning cruise this year is 16 nights from Rome to Miami but until they release the schedule for '26, we can't be sure of the itinerary.

Beyond that we are looking at a cruise in Croatia sometime in the future and, yes, more Mexico trips.
We do love our trips to the clothing-optional resort in Mexico. :)
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

If I can actually access and remove funds from my inherited annuity in late June then I'm headed to Thailand for a couple months. Maybe a stop in Laos too. I'm thinking it's a BIG "if" though. More likely I'm headed to "work".
Re-electing Biden is like the Titanic backing up to hit the iceberg again!
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Grew up in a marine household, so as a kid I've lived in:
Hawai'i
Okinawa, Japan
Jacksonville, North Carolina
Now reside in Texas

I was SO fortunate to have a dad gift me a 16-day tour of Europe as a college graduation present, so I've visited:
France (Paris)
Germany (Heidelberg and Rhine river cruise)
Italy (Venice, Florence, Vatican City)
Austria (Innsbruck)
London
Amsterdam
Switzerland (Luzern)
Bahamas
Jamaica
Mexico (Cabo San Lucas, Cozumel)

States I've visited to see family and vacation in: (don't have access to fancy map at work)
Colorado
Tennessee
Virginia
Georgia
Florida
Lousianna
Arkansas
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
Washington, D.C.
Oklahoma
Arizona
California
Alabama
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins