World of Tanks

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

ydejin

Re: World of Tanks

Post by ydejin »

The main issue with the KV-1 is that it is very, very slow.

Also the stock gun will damage everything at or below your tier except a KV-1, so a KV-1 vs. KV-1 stock fight is actually kind of pathetic, since they both have trouble damaging each other. Some of the KV unlockable guns are great.

As far as bad nights go, there were definitely a few nights where I went around 2-16. On the other hand, I had one 8-match winning streak.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Oh, you evil nasty forum effect. I dl'd this based on this thread and am already $15 into it. It burns, my precious!

I'm up for an OO clan or just some plinking, if anyone has something like that. "SzechuannLlama" online...
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

DD* wrote:Oh, you evil nasty forum effect. I dl'd this based on this thread and am already $15 into it. It burns, my precious!
You got that right. I've been resisting with difficulty. I must either have really good saving throws or absolutely no money. I'm still 100% free to play.

I'm making a spreadsheet of tanks and equipment... it's slow going, but I think it's coming together nicely. Screenshot below.
Enlarge Image

The reasons I'm doing this are:
1. Quick comparisons between tanks if I need to.
2. To really see the effect Crew skill has on tanks.
3. To see correct (I believe) Acceleration values, which are nowhere to be found because it changes.

The problems I'm run into are:
1. Excel really doesn't like me to create a drop-down validated list using INDIRECT and cells not adjacent to each other, thus the (KV) in front of all the equipment. This means every tank will need it's own equipment selection, even if it overlaps other tanks.
2. I really don't know how out-of-date the camo info I found is, and it's got a lot of holes.
3. I'm not sure how to factor crew Camouflage in to the Camo effect.
4. It's a WTF-lot of data to enter by hand, even copying from the Wiki.

As you can see in my stats, I've got my KV. I also finished the A-20 and immediately sold it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If you like tanks check out my thread on RC tanks. WoT got me wanting one.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=78861" target="_blank
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

Paingod wrote:The problems I'm run into are:
1. Excel really doesn't like me to create a drop-down validated list using INDIRECT and cells not adjacent to each other, thus the (KV) in front of all the equipment. This means every tank will need it's own equipment selection, even if it overlaps other tanks.
2. I really don't know how out-of-date the camo info I found is, and it's got a lot of holes.
3. I'm not sure how to factor crew Camouflage in to the Camo effect.
4. It's a WTF-lot of data to enter by hand, even copying from the Wiki.
Have you thought about putting it in something like Google Docs? Won't fix your drop down list issue, but crowd sourcing the data entry might be a nice benefit.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I honestly hadn't thought of that. I've just been treating this as a personal project. I've got a whopping 6 tanks in completely, with 122 to go. :roll: The actual functionality is all there, though. It calcs everything I want it to and all it needs it data entry following specific guidelines.

I'll seriously think about that, but am concerned that folks might "break" my formatting/structure or add data poorly/incorrectly.

I was surprised, when I posted it over at the World of Tanks forums, that it got little to no interest. No one said "This has been done before" but no one was "Wow, this is awesome!" either. I wonder if I'm the only one who cares :lol:
Black Lives Matter

DD*

Post by DD* »

Anyone know of a good icon mod (that shows tank model and tier) that works with 6.5? I tried a couple of the ones listed on the official forums but none worked very well.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Ditto that. I ended up with some pretty unpleasant loading screens and missing icons for several tanks.

With 120+ tanks, it gets hard to recall what tier they all are - as well as how heavily armored they are. I was really hoping I could get that mod to work so I could get a vague idea of what I was up against when a round starts or I run into a Heavy camping and wonder if I can take him. Entering a round with my KV means seeing tanks from Tier III all the way up to Tier VII.

I haven't even bothered to try and learn all the German names. PkWffleZ III/IVa (f) - PkWffleG II/III (t) - huh?

I considered just making my own little icons to replace the ones that were there, and then found the mod... but the mod was borked. :?

Update on the spreadsheet: I think I've got it calculating Commander bonuses and handling multplie crew in the same role correctly now. Looking over the interface page, I can't think of much else it's missing, unless I start going into more layers, like showing which crew members a vehicle has, not just how many.
Black Lives Matter

DD*

Post by DD* »

Finally getting the hang of my M5 + howizter light tank. It can get ugly if I'm tossed in with the big boys - pretty near any heavy or TD can one-shot me - but it is a fine fine fine arty killer.

And the one time I was the top tier tank... heh heh heh. 5 kills, 5 more damaged, we beat them 11 kills to 1 when we capped.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I sold my M5. Just didn't use it enough. Seemed I always got put with stuff so big I couldn't dent them.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

DD* wrote:Anyone know of a good icon mod (that shows tank model and tier) that works with 6.5? I tried a couple of the ones listed on the official forums but none worked very well.
I thought there was a built in tier display in the game now. I can't run a game right now, but check the help menu (F1 key) in game and see if there's some sort of in-game toggle. With the right settings you should be able to get tank tier and model name to show up next to their in-game icon. I think you might have to hold the Tab key down to see this information and you need to have specific in-game settings.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

That would make things too easy, wouldn't it. :) ... I'll have to look for that tonight. I know that if I hold "ALT" I can see health bars without having to hover over a tank to see how badly damaged it is. If I could get just health without all the name data, it might be nice, to help instantly prioritize targets. I can hit the heavy again and dent him, or I can kill that medium behind him.

My project is coming along. I improved the interface, corrected some calculations, and have all the data in for Russian Light and Medium tanks now. I'll try to get a class of tanks in each day - Russian Heavies are today's goal.
Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter

ydejin

Post by ydejin »

You might be right about the ALT key instead of the TAB key. Anyway, you definitely should be able to get things setup to show Tier and Tank Name.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Did anyone find the guy named Deserter_WG during the day yesterday? I never saw him. Other's killed him and said he was in several different tanks. Two I know of were a Maus and a PZ4. Anyways if ya killed him and took a pic for the forum they gave you 250 gold.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I had a forum user at World of Tanks caution me that providing this info in a condensed format might be frowned upon by the developers. Apparently some folks in the beta did a lot of testing and data collection around visual ranges and camouflage - and posting their results earned them suspended accounts and deleted posts. I imagine there was more to it - like maybe they had hacked the game to get the data - but the poster didn't say. He also mentioned that other "informative" posts have been deleted as well.

So I've got this pinned up there as well, and am keeping my fingers crossed for it staying alive since it's all freely available info in the Wiki and through player discussion.
Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

Hey Paingod, did you know your next battle will be your 1000?? Congratulations, soldier! :)

(I randomly clicked on the link in your sig today and thought I'd share. Not that I stalk you or anything... :ninja:) :lol:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Not only that - it'll determine if I have exactly 50% wins or not. 999 battles, 499 wins.

:wink: Thanks!

I'm thinking I'll be using my T-46 for best odds. I've also been trying hard to increase my kill ratio. Not doing the "wait and snipe when everyone else works him down" thing - but generally trying to stay alive longer - running away more, repositioning more, etc. It's been working and my game is at an all-time high. My hit% also continues to climb - but is moving slower and slower up as I get more and more shots under my belt.

I envy folks with 75% accuracy - though I wonder how many times they passed up a so-so shot that could have scored a hit and opted to wait, which could mean life or death for a team mate later when they run into that foe. If I even have a 10% chance to hit, I fire - 10% is still good enough to waste a round. When I see that turret poking up over a hill and nothing else, I'll keep lobbing rounds at him until I get him.
Black Lives Matter

ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Paingod wrote: I envy folks with 75% accuracy - though I wonder how many times they passed up a so-so shot that could have scored a hit and opted to wait, which could mean life or death for a team mate later when they run into that foe. If I even have a 10% chance to hit, I fire - 10% is still good enough to waste a round. When I see that turret poking up over a hill and nothing else, I'll keep lobbing rounds at him until I get him.
A lot of that is higher tier guns having greater accuracy. Unless you're using the 45 mm VT-42 on your T-46 the other T-46 guns are pretty inaccurate. Some like the 76 mm L-10 and the original 45 mm 20K are highly inaccurate.

Some of it is also higher tier guns having lower rates of fire, thus increasing the importance of making sure the shot hits -- to provide an extreme example, some of the Russian tank destroyer guns only fire 4 times a minute, if you're in one of those vehicles you want to make darn sure that one shot actually hits. Finally some of the higher tier guns have very expensive shells. When you're paying $1k a shot, you want to make sure it hits.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Everything I do is based mostly around accuracy - I almost always opt for a lower damage but higher accuracy gun. I do, however, waste a lot of ammo on chance shots. It doesn't bother me to have my stats say I'm an average player that at least doesn't hinder the team. I don't need to be in the Elite categories to have fun - I'll never use Premium ammo and have to explore every tank from the bottom up. My personal goal is to get every tank in the game to Elite, then settle on a handful I love and stick with them.

Right now my favorites have been (in order):

- Marder II
- T-46
- BT-7

Small and accurate. I think the lightweight matches are a blast. The slow slog-fest of heavy matches wears me down.

My experiences with the Hetzer have been okay, but not great. I do well with it (typically 1d6 foes damaged with 1d5 of them killed) - but it essentially requires that you use the least accruate gun due to the size of the foes you find yourself up against. The more accurate gun was just taking so long to whittle down enemies that they'd find and kill me easily. With the boomstick, if someone crests a hill, I kill them in one shot. If they try and rush my hidey-hole, they die. I've got another 17,000 research to go before it's Elite and I move into the StuG III.

The T-34 started with research applied from the T-28, so it's already got a good engine and gun - but it doesn't feel right yet. It's certainly durable and much more manueverable than the KV, but using the sniper cannon from the T-28 (a Tier IV) in matches where I can face Tier VIII tanks (and even Tier IX) means I have to be really selective about my targets.
Black Lives Matter

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

The Marder II gets pretty crazy once you get a camouflage net and full camouflage skill. You can park somewhere and tanks just have a hell of a time seeing you.

Although, it gets pretty bad when in Tier 8+ matches with the same combination, but now attached to a Soviet tank destroyer with more armor than your average tank, and a gun that can 2 shot most Tier 8 tanks.

Marders, for all their sneakiness, if they get spotted by a fast scout, 1 good shot can drop them, 2 most likely, and at most 3 shots from a smaller gun. Imagine trying to take out an SU-152 or and Object 704 that you can't see.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

A question on stats like Camouflage...

Last night I was in a round and a Heavy was rolling through the forest with me and just plowing down trees left and right. I always make a point of missing them for two reasons: 1) Enemies can see those trees get knocked down from anywhere in the map and 2) I thought they provided cover as long as they're standing.

When I asked the guy to stop it, another player chimed in with "They have no camo value anyway" which was contrary to what I had heard and what I had experienced. I've sat on hills before with only tree canopies between me and hostiles and fired with impunity - many many times. Was this guy just unaware, or am I wrong?

I also discovered that I may need to change my spreadsheet calculations. Apparently ALL the data in the Wiki for tank stats is a lie. What they show there are the absolute maximum values - not values with 100% crew, but values that include every other mod - rammers, optics, etc, - and even GOLD consumables like Chocolate. Essentially meaning that the stats you see in the game can NEVER be achieved by any means because you'd have to equip every single mod in the game at once and have 100% crew. The post (made by a wiki editor) made me ask more questions than it answered - like how does anyone get to 500+m visual range if Binoculars are already factored into your visual range? Are players just lying, or is the Wiki guy wrong? He never answered me.
Black Lives Matter

xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Paingod,

I tend to spot for trees getting knocked down, even if you can't aim exactly you can prepare a nasty surprise for when they do become visible. Now that I think about it I've seen tanks disappear pretty well in areas which didn't seem to have much concealment, except trees, but I could be misremembering.
Also, since you are talking about camouflage, does adding an item like camouflage netting reduce the range at which an enemy will see you? Can it be offset by the optics upgrade? I'm really enjoying running around with my Luchs, but I tend to get put into conflict with tiers that just wreck me. Usually a mistake == dead. I'm figuring that sprinting from concealment to concealment with good camo values will allow me to be more survivable, and if I have the upgraded optics that I will also see them far before they see me.
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

I've never been able to determine whether or not the trees provide concealment. The documentation says that even if just a smidge of your track isn't covered, you are visible. So I always hide in bushes. The program does a ray-trace from a number of points on the spotting tank to a number of points on the target tank, and checks to see if each of them are blocked, if any of them aren't blocked you don't get a camo bonus. It's possible (perhaps even likely) that the trees work just as well as the bushes if the angle is right. But I've always taken their "tracks must be entirely covered" to heart and make sure to hide in bushes.

For sure trees which have been knocked down do not count as concealment, so even though knocked down trees seem like they should act as bushes they don't.

In any case, knocking down trees is always bad, since as you say it can be seen, even if the tank knocking them down can't be seen directly. So regardless of the camo info your teammate was an idiot for knocking them over.

As far as the 100% thing goes, my reading is that it's based on all items to get the crew skill percentage to it's highest level (i.e., 100% crew, with 10% bonus from 100% commander, + ventilation bonus, + chocolate bonus) and that's what's used in the tables. Things that improve specific items, but which do not increase the crew % directly do not count. In other words, a rammer does not improve the crew skill number, it does increase the rate of fire, so it wouldn't be included in the tables. But I'll admit I could be wrong on this interpretation.

If you want the definitive answer for these questions, you should post on the official WoT forums.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-2xD2u6nsU" target="_blank

That's a peek at the patch 7.0 physics.....driving off cliffs, tumbling down hills, being shoved off the mountain, sinking in water....looks fun.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

When physics hits, I'm going to play nothing but high-speed, high-accel tanks and just do lots of jumps. That looks so awesome.

I also can't wait to see all those folks who normally park on the edge of a hill and use the forced break of it to aim in obscene ways ... they'll just topple end over end and I'll laugh - hard, oh so hard. I actually tried to drive off a ledge, as shown in the video, in my first few rounds and was dismayed that I couldn't. I get pretty irked when I'm snagged by a slight incline that's coded as impassible.

These changes will make it a whole new game. I can't wait to shoot a tank out of the air as it jumps. Lead it, fire, BOOM - tank goes up, wreck comes down.
ydejin wrote:As far as the 100% thing goes, my reading is that it's based on all items to get the crew skill percentage to it's highest level (i.e., 100% crew, with 10% bonus from 100% commander, + ventilation bonus, + chocolate bonus) and that's what's used in the tables. Things that improve specific items, but which do not increase the crew % directly do not count. In other words, a rammer does not improve the crew skill number, it does increase the rate of fire, so it wouldn't be included in the tables. But I'll admit I could be wrong on this interpretation.
It was at their forums where I one of their Wiki editors broke my train of thought. He said that the 100% value of any tank stat can only be achieve by having 100% crew, Vents, Chocolate, AND mods for that component. I would be willing to bet he's mistaken or there was a misunderstanding and it only takes the maxed crew stats. Mods should be bonus items, not required items. I'm going to embark on a campaign to actually contact that Overlord person (who seems involved in the game development) and get some clarification.
Black Lives Matter

Genghis

Post by Genghis »

Made my way up to the KV. I guess my main complaint with this game is with the match making. Its terrible. You should never be put in a match where you can't even dent another tank. That is my bigest complaint with the t-28. I like the tank, but you end up getting matches with heavies that you are lucky to even be able to scratch. Against other mediums it preforms well, but you rarely get set against just mediums, typically your the only medium tank against all heavys and heavier TDs. I wish there was a setting that allowed you to wait longer in queue that gave a better match making. I was in a match the other day in my KV where i came up on another heavys rear and unloaded three shots, 0 damage. That tank then 1 shots me. Granted that was with my starter gun (which i have since upgraded), but you shouldn't have to be useless in 20 games before you are able to be usefull. All that does is make you dead weight on a team.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Genghis wrote:Made my way up to the KV. I guess my main complaint with this game is with the match making. Its terrible. You should never be put in a match where you can't even dent another tank. That is my bigest complaint with the t-28. I like the tank, but you end up getting matches with heavies that you are lucky to even be able to scratch. Against other mediums it preforms well, but you rarely get set against just mediums, typically your the only medium tank against all heavys and heavier TDs. I wish there was a setting that allowed you to wait longer in queue that gave a better match making. I was in a match the other day in my KV where i came up on another heavys rear and unloaded three shots, 0 damage. That tank then 1 shots me. Granted that was with my starter gun (which i have since upgraded), but you shouldn't have to be useless in 20 games before you are able to be usefull. All that does is make you dead weight on a team.
The KV-1 initial gun isn't very good. But once you upgrade it to the107mm will damage almost any tank in the game.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

ydejin wrote:The KV-1 initial gun isn't very good. But once you upgrade it to the107mm will damage almost any tank in the game.
Then the problem becomes - I've fired my gun, they see me, I'm dead.

The KV has proven to be an interesting ride for me (my stats currently say I've had 159 battles with it). It's a rude slap in the face with a week-dead herring for anyone who's used to speed and manueverability - like you had with the tanks you used to get it.

I've got all the equipment you can use, and my thoughts are:
  • Upgrade your suspension, get the 122, then the KV-2 turret, and finally the 107; then everything else. Engine upgrades are almost negligible in speed and the radio can help... but first you need to be able to fight.
  • Don't forget to buy and equip a Removed Speed Governer. The KV can run this for 3-4 minutes before your engine breaks down. Toggle it to get up hills and start running, then shut it down. Don't use it too long or your engine will cook and then you REALLY crawl - max speed 9KPH.
  • It's time to invest in a Repair Kit. The last thing you want is to get blown apart because a Tier IV tracked you but did no damage and your big ass is exposed to artillery. The KV can easily make 10,000+ credits per round and spending 3,000 can be easily absorbed.
  • I tried the 122 with a stock turret, and while I found myself a little faster, I was less survivable in general - BUT - this is a good start to work your way to the 107.
  • The 152 is a big fat joke unless you've always got someone right there next to you to cover you or don't mind missing 2 out of 3 shots at long range, and taking 1.4 minutes to fire 3 rounds. When enemies see you equipped with that gun, it makes them quiver. When they see you miss or they survive the hit, they charge and kill you. Everyone knows it's slow to reload and they'll take the 25 seconds you have to wait as a green light to murder you.
  • I have settled into the 107 as my main gun; it can penetrate most armor you come across and has good accuracy - making it the best sniping choice for the KV. It also does enough damage to flatten a lot of smaller tanks in one hit.

In fights where the KV is in the bottom rungs, tactically what's been working better for me:
  • Always make sure I'm the last one to the fight - not hard given your speed.
  • Don't get up close unless you have to. Hang back and snipe/support.
  • Trees & Bushes! I've had people tell me the KV is useless in camo, but I've found that a couple layers of bushes and a tree between you and your enemy really does help. I've spent a lot of time camped in the Eastern forest of Murovanka and not had anyone spot me while I was sniping from just 3-4 layers of bushes in. I am lead to believe that bushes don't increase your given percentage by a percentage, but that they impart their own percentage ON TOP of your current one, meaning they're good for everyone.
  • Never find yourself on point - it just means you're dead first after firing once or twice.
  • Use the accuracy of the 107 to your advantage and try to aim for softer spots on foes - treads & sides if you can.
  • The 107 has good penetration, even against heavier foes.
  • Turrets on heavy tanks tend to be stronger than the chassis, so if you must aim at the front, don't aim high (unless you're trying to hit the gun mantle, then do it)
  • Learn to "peekaboo". This involves moving forward as quick as you can from cover, exposing as little of yourself to return fire as possible, and the split second you can shoot (even poorly) do so, then pull back into cover. Best used with a feint first - start running out and then go back as soon as you're exposed slightly - it might trigger the enemy to fire reflexively, thinking you're coming out. Then you really can, and they're reloading.
  • If you're out in the open, you've done something wrong and are soon to perish.
  • Be patient, don't get baited. All too often I try to chase around a corner to grab an easy kill only to find myself victim to a heavy lurking in wait.
  • Learn to "Hull Down" - keeping your chassis below the line of sight of foes and exposing just your turret, typically over a hill. This limits the amount of your tank foes can hit (but with the KV-2 turret, you're still a big fat target, but not a HUGE fat target).
  • Prioritize targets. While you'd like to think you can take a Heavy, that Tier VIII Heavy probably shouldn't be your first target. Try to take out the Tier V Medium next to him first; your heavier team mates should be working on the opposing heavies.
  • Remember that you're slow and easy pickings for Artillery looking for a soft target. Keep moving unless in cover.
  • Be okay with failing. The KV can do well, but sometimes (too often) things just go sideways and you die instantly.
In fights where the KV is on the top rungs, you'll feel like a god - but remember that you're a slow and ponderous god.
  • Still keep yourself in good cover - the other team has heavies too and some smaller tanks can pack a punch
  • Let smaller tanks scout for you, but don't expect them to. Try to keep up and take shots of opportunity.
  • Don't let yourself get flooded by smaller tanks. Enough chipping hits will kill you if they don't just critical you to death.
  • For the love of Bob, if you get spotted by a scout, don't just sit there aiming at him. Get your ass in gear and move - enemy artillery has you pegged as the biggest threat on the battlefield... unless you've got solid cover from their Artillery (a hill, a building, a huge rock), then by all means - mash him like a bug.
My best round ever with a KV was last night in Mountain Pass - Our team had two KV's and the enemy had three heavies. I was responsible for killing two of those heavies and bringing another down to 2% health. They had chewed up a small group of Mediums in the East valley and I got up onto the bridge to fire down at them. I believe that if I didn't have a giant bobble-head turret for him to hit, I could have killed him too. I got 5 kills and 2 injured - including 1 kill on an Artillery that had moved up to capture our base while I was at 5hp. Sadly, we lost the round. After I died, it was our last KV (zero kills, 100% health) vs. 1 medium - and he refused to try and capture while the enemy was walking into our base and I was defending it. He was literally 100 meters from their capture zone. Instead he opted to continue camping and hope to kill the Medium that was hiding from him.

The KV can be good - but you really really have to learn how to play it. It's a whole different game than the T-28, T-46, and T-26. You want a real treat, try the T-34. It doesn't get the benefit of the huge gun on the KV, but still gets put into the same fights.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Good choice on the 107. A lot of players these days think derp is the only way to play a KV. In beta I found the 107 was useful as a sniper rifle. I could one shot a ton of stuff all the way across the map. My very first shot in it I killed someone like that and never looked at the derp gun.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Yeah - when I see a light tank camping somewhere "safe" and he's spotted but doesn't move - it's kind of fun to zero in, wait for perfect aim, fire - and a second later you get the kill confirmation. I almost feel sorry for them. I've had it happen to me and know how frustrating it can be to just *pop* and it's all over - especially when you can't see who killed you.
Black Lives Matter

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

This is why I love my T-46. I can't believe people call it junk.

My best round - ever. It's not even a Premium account. Those numbers would be 50% higher if it was. I'm on fire tonight - a round before this was 4 kills on a heavy map with my KV that earned me over 1,000 experience. Another round with the T-46 netted 6 kills before this one. Tomorrow when I play, I'll be Bruce Banner again. :?

In their defense, my T-46 is super-equipped. 98% crew, Vents, Rammer, Camo Net, Removed Speed Govener, Repair Kit, Fire Extinguisher. I have the Repair Kit in position "5" so when a tread breaks (the only thing I really care about) I can mash "5" twice to fix it. Takes about 1.5 seconds from stopping dead to getting going again. It's saved my life many times now and is an automatic response.
Black Lives Matter

ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Dang Paingod, nice job :)
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Paingod wrote:
ydejin wrote:The KV-1 initial gun isn't very good. But once you upgrade it to the107mm will damage almost any tank in the game.
Then the problem becomes - I've fired my gun, they see me, I'm dead.

The KV has proven to be an interesting ride for me (my stats currently say I've had 159 battles with it). It's a rude slap in the face with a week-dead herring for anyone who's used to speed and manueverability - like you had with the tanks you used to get it.

I've got all the equipment you can use, and my thoughts are:

Nice list.
Paingod wrote:
  • Upgrade your suspension, get the 122, then the KV-2 turret, and finally the 107; then everything else. Engine upgrades are almost negligible in speed and the radio can help... but first you need to be able to fight.
All the heavies start out very slow, especially if you're used to driving mediums. The T1 Heavy is as big barn door, painfully slow, and has a crappy gun to boot. IIRC correctly the M6 wasn't too bad, but the T29 is very, very slow when vanilla. The Tiger I is also pretty slow initially and fully upgrading the engine takes beacoup XP points.
Paingod wrote:
  • It's time to invest in a Repair Kit. The last thing you want is to get blown apart because a Tier IV tracked you but did no damage and your big ass is exposed to artillery. The KV can easily make 10,000+ credits per round and spending 3,000 can be easily absorbed.
Generally I have a repair kit, medical kit, and fire extinguisher on all my tanks. This sort of expendable equipment can make a huge difference. A damaged gun, wounded gunner, or worse both simultaneously means that you won't be able to hit anything except at point blank range. Damaged loader or ammo rack and your rate of fire drops through the floor. Getting back in action means you can continue doing good damage which means more credits. It certainly means better chance your team will win, which means 50% bonus.
Paingod wrote:
  • Never find yourself on point - it just means you're dead first after firing once or twice.
Not sure I agree with this one. Someone has to be on point. The KV-1 can absorb better damage than a lot of other tanks. OTOH it is quite slow advancing. So I would say it depends. It does mean you're more likely to end up dead faster, but again there are situations where someone needs to make the move, and it may be you are the best choice for your team. It should all be about the team win, not individual performance.
Paingod wrote:
  • Learn to "peekaboo". This involves moving forward as quick as you can from cover, exposing as little of yourself to return fire as possible, and the split second you can shoot (even poorly) do so, then pull back into cover. Best used with a feint first - start running out and then go back as soon as you're exposed slightly - it might trigger the enemy to fire reflexively, thinking you're coming out. Then you really can, and they're reloading.
Definitely an important tactic, particularly for heavies with a long load time. You can also specifically choose positions in which peak-a-boo is doable if you've got a slow rate-of-fire tank. OTOH if you've got something like an American 76mm or quick-firing British gun which fires every 2 seconds you specifically want to place yourself somewhere where you won't be playing peak-a-boo since these guns will to their best DPS where the enemy is not ducking behind cover.
Paingod wrote:
  • If you're out in the open, you've done something wrong and are soon to perish.
As with being on point, yes it increases your chances of being dead, but sometimes open ground needs to be crossed, and someone has to cross it first. I've definitely seen situations where by sacrificing your tank you bust the game wide open for your team. One thing to keep in mind is that you are only seeing a small part of the larger battlefield. If you have overwhelming superiority in your area, it's because the enemy's main armoured spearhead is pushing somewhere else on the map. You need to take advantage of your local superiority as you can bet your teammates are sacrificing their tanks against the main enemy thrust.

I've seen situations where tanks have 3-to-1 local superiority (say for example on the NW plateau in Karelia) against the enemy and absolutely refuse to push forward because they don't want to get damaged. What ends up happening is that their outnumbered teammates on the other side of the map (say for example in the SE valley in Karelia), which is where all the enemy tanks are located, are trying to fight a delaying action. They end up losing and the enemy rolls into the base while the tanks with 3-to-1 superiority are still sitting on their asses. Depending on the battlefield situation, time can be an important factor, and local superiority should not be squandered.

But generally yes, stay under hard cover whenever possible. Also pay attention to enemy artillery and try to pick positions where you are not only protected from enemy direct tank fire, but also enemy artillery.
Paingod wrote:
  • Prioritize targets. While you'd like to think you can take a Heavy, that Tier VIII Heavy probably shouldn't be your first target. Try to take out the Tier V Medium next to him first; your heavier team mates should be working on the opposing heavies.
I try to take out first the lightest tank that can badly damage me. OTOH it is important for all teammates to concentrate their fire. Use the "currently targetting indicator" (T key) so that your teammates know what you're shooting at. Your objective is to get tanks out of the game as soon as possible, since a damaged tank does just as much damage as a 100% healthy one.
Paingod wrote:
  • Remember that you're slow and easy pickings for Artillery looking for a soft target. Keep moving unless in cover.
Paingod wrote:
  • For the love of Bob, if you get spotted by a scout, don't just sit there aiming at him. Get your ass in gear and move - enemy artillery has you pegged as the biggest threat on the battlefield... unless you've got solid cover from their Artillery (a hill, a building, a huge rock), then by all means - mash him like a bug.
Very true. Artillery is just deadly in this game.

One thing I'd add to your list of tactical lessons is try not to go anywhere by yourself. Unless it's late in the game you never want to be moving anywhere without a wingman. Sometimes you'll need to be on defense by yourself. And it's okay to advance by yourself if you've got people behind you covering you. But you don't want to be crossing large sections of the map without another tank nearby. Getting caught out in the open by yourself is generally a good way to get dead. Late in the game when there are only a few tanks left, sometimes you'll need to do it though. But not early or even middle of a match.
Last edited by ydejin on Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I do agree that someone has to be on point and that being out in the open doesn't neccesarily make you dead - but these two things do typically lead to an early demise. My game with the KV really only improved once I stopped trying to be "The Heavy" and started trying to be "just a big guy with a big gun in the back" ... not to mention that the KV is terrible on point with it's 270m viewing range.

I most heartily agree that you should never go anywhere alone, too, unless it's needed... ie: You're one of three left on your team, two are capping, your base is being capped, and you're close enough to get there to defend it so you can win.
Black Lives Matter

ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Paingod wrote:I do agree that someone has to be on point and that being out in the open doesn't neccesarily make you dead - but these two things do typically lead to an early demise. My game with the KV really only improved once I stopped trying to be "The Heavy" and started trying to be "just a big guy with a big gun in the back" ... not to mention that the KV is terrible on point with it's 270m viewing range.
270m :shock: Had no idea the viewing range of the KV was that bad. That's just awful.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

ydejin wrote:270m :shock: Had no idea the viewing range of the KV was that bad. That's just awful.
Aw, crud. I misquoted myself. I can't remember now what had 270. The KV is 350m. :doh: It's about average for view range. The T-26 and stock T-46 are view range 270.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Graphics update coming....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bis5Xjkg ... r_embedded" target="_blank
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Paingod wrote:
ydejin wrote:270m :shock: Had no idea the viewing range of the KV was that bad. That's just awful.
Aw, crud. I misquoted myself. I can't remember now what had 270. The KV is 350m. :doh: It's about average for view range. The T-26 and stock T-46 are view range 270.
350m is better, but still not great. Although I suppose it's not bad given KV's tier. Sherman and Pzkw IV both have a 380m view. Higher tier tanks seem to do better, M26 Pershing and T-44 have a 430m view and the top tier heavies have an even better range, Maus, IS-7, and T30 all have a 460m view, making a quick check of the Wiki I didn't see anything higher.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

ydejin wrote:...As with being on point, yes it increases your chances of being dead, but sometimes open ground needs to be crossed, and someone has to cross it first. I've definitely seen situations where by sacrificing your tank you bust the game wide open for your team. One thing to keep in mind is that you are only seeing a small part of the larger battlefield. If you have overwhelming superiority in your area, it's because the enemy's main armoured spearhead is pushing somewhere else on the map. You need to take advantage of your local superiority as you can bet your teammates are sacrificing their tanks against the main enemy thrust.

I've seen situations where tanks have 3-to-1 local superiority (say for example on the NW plateau in Karelia) against the enemy and absolutely refuse to push forward because they don't want to get damaged. What ends up happening is that their outnumbered teammates on the other side of the map (say for example in the SE valley in Karelia), which is where all the enemy tanks are located, are trying to fight a delaying action. They end up losing and the enemy rolls into the base while the tanks with 3-to-1 superiority are still sitting on their asses. Depending on the battlefield situation, time can be an important factor, and local superiority should not be squandered...
This bears repeating over and over! Excellent observation and advice!
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Looks like they just pushed out an update with a bunch of new German tanks, and a new map. Supposedly you can also create a platoon of 2 for free as well.
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06