2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Atomic Heart

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Atomic Heart

Post by Max Peck »

They got some Harry Potter fantasy on their Soviet apocalyptic dystopia.

It's a good trailer, even if I have no interest in playing either game. And, hey... Jensen Ackles.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Atomic Heart Composer Mick Gordon is Donating His Fee in Support of Ukraine
Award-winning video game music composer Mick Gordon has noted he will be donating his fee for his work on Atomic Heart to charity in support of Ukrainian civilians suffering amid the 2022 Russian invasion. The Australian-based musician has donated his fee to the Australian Red Cross' Ukraine Crisis Appeal, explaining the Red Cross has been "a vital resource for those affected by the conflict, providing aid, medical care, and psychosocial support."

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Pre-load now available on Game Pass.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Reviews are starting to show up, and they seem to be generally favorable.

Metacritic is currently scoring it at 78 for PC, based on 15 critic reviews (12 positive, 3 mixed, 0 negative). The early metascores for PS5 (75, 18/6/1) and XBox Series X (74, 8/4/1) seem to be in the same ballpark.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Mort's 100% review with almost no spoilers.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:32 pm Image
Yup.
And for some reason my usually fast internet was slow as a dog yesterday.
Was only able to get very little playtime in, but it does initially seem like a Bioshock/Fallout mashup.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ukraine is trying to have the game banned there and other countries around there because they say it was funded by a Russian oligarch and that profits will go to help fund the Russia war machine.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:16 am Ukraine is trying to have the game banned there and other countries around there because they say it was funded by a Russian oligarch and that profits will go to help fund the Russia war machine.
There is a thread for that:
https://www.octopusoverlords.com/forum/ ... 2&start=80
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stimpy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:04 am
Daehawk wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:16 am Ukraine is trying to have the game banned there and other countries around there because they say it was funded by a Russian oligarch and that profits will go to help fund the Russia war machine.
A thread about a game is a perfect place to discuss controversy about said game. Stop nagging people every time they make a comment you don't want to see.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:37 am
stimpy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:04 am
A thread about a game is a perfect place to discuss controversy about said game. Stop nagging people every time they make a comment you don't want to see.
Stop nagging me about nagging people.
Why do we have a R&P forum if we can just talk about R&P anywhere we want?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Why do we have a game forum if people can't discuss issues about games in it?

When a discussion overlaps topics, they're both acceptable within reason. Your R&P thread is awesome - but that doesn't mean that people who don't visit R&P shouldn't be informed about controversy surrounding games they're discussing.

Yeah, if it gets hot and heavy, then it is probably time to shift the discussion, but to suggest that people are wrong for even bringing up relevant news in the thread on the topic is going too far.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:45 am Why do we have a game forum if people can't discuss issues about games in it?

When a discussion overlaps topics, they're both acceptable within reason. Your R&P thread is awesome - but that doesn't mean that people who don't visit R&P shouldn't be informed about controversy surrounding games they're discussing.

Yeah, if it gets hot and heavy, then it is probably time to shift the discussion, but to suggest that people are wrong for even bringing up relevant news in the thread on the topic is going too far.
It's been brought up in this thread already and it totally derailed.
Just trying to keep the talk here about......gameplay. As it should be.
What is your problem with that?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Game threads are also for news and discussion. They always have been.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Atomic Heart knocked Hogwart's off the top spot on Steam, according to an article I read. I have not verified.

It's doing very well, as is Hogwart's (which some are calling/predicting game of the year already).
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:10 am Game threads are also for news and discussion. They always have been.

Okay. Great. We discussed it. Now move on.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stimpy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:24 am
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:10 am Game threads are also for news and discussion. They always have been.

As long as it's mutual.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:53 am
stimpy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:24 am

As long as it's mutual.
Last word.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Been trying to follow along, but apparently it's a motion-sickness nightmare for people that suffer (like me). The FOV isn't adjustable (though there are mods people are working on) and there's camera shaking that you can't toggle off. Hopefully these are things that are eventually addressed as I'd really like to try it some day, but motion sickness is still something I'll never be able to just "get over" without being able to tweak gaming options.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:00 pm Been trying to follow along, but apparently it's a motion-sickness nightmare for people that suffer (like me). The FOV isn't adjustable (though there are mods people are working on) and there's camera shaking that you can't toggle off. Hopefully these are things that are eventually addressed as I'd really like to try it some day, but motion sickness is still something I'll never be able to just "get over" without being able to tweak gaming options.
You can turn camera shake down.

He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Good to know! Just need that FOV slider now...
naednek

Post by naednek »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:10 pm Good to know! Just need that FOV slider now...
Hey I've taken the plunge for you for several games, it's your turn to report back :)
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just based on what I've read, I already know it's an issue. After being burned so many times, it's one of the first things I research for anything first-person anymore and for Atomic Heart, the FOV looks quite aggressive as the default setting, but they're apparently working on an official fix for it.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i've decided to split the difference and wait for this to go on sale...

(bought Serious Sam 4 at full price and while i like it ok, i really should have waited for the massive discount. still not regretting getting Cyberpunk 2077 pre-sale, even though my video card couldn't handle it that well and i won't play it until i get my new GPU)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You know what's an awesome idea when your game is mired in controversy and accusations?

Including this in your game:
Spoiler: