Drazzil Mega Thread: Round table panel skills presentation +Took a home drug test for THC; failed at 45 days sobriety.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Drazzil

Re: Drazzil mega thread: Bad news! My cats may all have FCV

Post by Drazzil »

em2nought wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:11 pm
Jeff V wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:43 pm If you need a replacement set, I can supply you with 5 apparently disease free cats.
Can't you just have the wife cook up a batch of Siopao? :ninja:
Enlarge Image
Christ I hope thats photoshop. I love cats.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:45 pmChrist I hope thats photoshop.
:roll:
Drazzil wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:45 pmI love cats.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:49 pm
Drazzil wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:45 pmChrist I hope thats photoshop.
Drazzil wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:45 pmI love cats.
Okay. Screw it. I'm not going to side track things by getting into an arguement about this. I guess I am too thin skinned.
Unagi

Re: Drazzil mega thread: Bad news! My cats may all have Feline Corona Virus.

Post by Unagi »

My first rolly eyes was to say: "Of course it's photoshopped"
My second rolly eyes was to say: "We all know you love cats"

In any case, it was an em2nought post ...
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:16 pm My first rolly eyes was to say: "Of course it's photoshopped"
My second rolly eyes was to say: "We all know you love cats"

In any case, it was an em2nought post ...
Ahh. I never quite got the. complexities of communicating through emoticons.
Drazzil

Re: Drazzil mega thread: I need some words to say over my cat soon.

Post by Drazzil »

I don't know what to say or what last rites to say over her.

So far I got a poem by Edward Parker:

Life's race well run,
Life's work well done,
Life's victory won,
Now cometh rest.

or I could take things real old school.

Bast, Sekhmet, we give you back your child.
Noble, regal, honorable cat.
Watch over her, and guide her on her way
to the spirit world.
May she be blessed in your names,
and hunt ever after beside you.

I'm sitting here crying about what I have to do, I really dont have the words to express what Lucy means to me. I love her with all my heart. I owe her a death. I know that but I can scarcely imagine being without her.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'll just offer this...

You don't need to find the words. The vet certainly will not expect you to say anything. There aren't really words for this.

Gather your strength to be there for her. Rub her head and let her be reassured by your presence. She will fall asleep to you and knowing that you love her and knowing she still has her Drazzil.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Losing a pet is one of the most depressing things I've experienced. You'll find many able to relate completely to what you're going through. Showing a pet compassion in their final moments is probably the greatest thing you can ever offer.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

The next week will be a real test of my newfound sobriety. A real test. My head tells me that I cant use bud or booze to hide behind. My heart is already halfway to the liquor store. I should probabally see if any guys are at the alana club.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I cannot use this as an excuse to drink. CAN. NOT. Full stop.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Talked with a few guys from AA and I can say I definitely feel better.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I come not to praise kitty, but to bury her.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I am sorry that you are facing this moment. I've had to do it three times over the years, and it never gets easier.

IMO a simple "goodbye" is all you need to say; your presence and tone of voice matter, not your words. As gut-wrenching as it is, you need to be with her in her last moments. Later on you'll be glad that you were.

When we put Iggy down we paid for a third-party cremation of his body. You can let the vet handle it unceremoniously for a smaller fee, but the cremation arrangement brought some slight peace of mind and wasn't terribly expensive (about $99 IIRC). We buried his ashes in our yard a few days later. (I wanted to scatter them because he was an outdoor cat, but Wife felt better about giving him a grave.) Whatever makes you feel better is the way to go, but I wouldn't spend the big bucks for cemetery interment. I think an actual cat burial was $300 or more.

I suppose you could also take the body home with you and bury it yourself. Personally, I would find that hardest of all.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I'm sorry about your cat. If you have kitty cremated, don't be there for it. If there is one sight in my life that I could go back and not see it would be viewing the cheap particle board casket containing my brother disappearing into the crematory. :(
Re-electing Biden is like the Titanic backing up to hit the iceberg again!
Drazzil

Re: Drazzil mega thread: I had Lucy put down this morning.

Post by Drazzil »

Kraken wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:17 am I am sorry that you are facing this moment. I've had to do it three times over the years, and it never gets easier.

IMO a simple "goodbye" is all you need to say; your presence and tone of voice matter, not your words. As gut-wrenching as it is, you need to be with her in her last moments. Later on you'll be glad that you were.

When we put Iggy down we paid for a third-party cremation of his body. You can let the vet handle it unceremoniously for a smaller fee, but the cremation arrangement brought some slight peace of mind and wasn't terribly expensive (about $99 IIRC). We buried his ashes in our yard a few days later. (I wanted to scatter them because he was an outdoor cat, but Wife felt better about giving him a grave.) Whatever makes you feel better is the way to go, but I wouldn't spend the big bucks for cemetery interment. I think an actual cat burial was $300 or more.

I suppose you could also take the body home with you and bury it yourself. Personally, I would find that hardest of all.
I did the cremation thing. I'll scatter her ashes at a park. I also did the plaster paw. Will run me about $100 plus the 75 I already dropped. She ate really well this morning. I bought her some special food which she cleaned her plate of. So well that for a few minutes I considered seeing if I could maybe get her better, then I remembered all the things wrong with her so I nixxed that idea.

She went very gently. Held by me. I stayed till about 10 minutes after the last injection, telling her how much I loved her. I left till about two or three minutes after they tried to kick me out. Just petting her as she lie on the table.

Then I left. I figure I punched her ticket in style.
Blackhawk

Re: Drazzil mega thread: I put Lucy to sleep.

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm sorry, and good job.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Good for you. I am sorry for your loss.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I’m sorry for your loss, Drazzil.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Sounds like you helped her nicely. Sorry for your loss.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

So sorry for your loss Draz.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I am sorry for your loss.

You did the right thing. Somewhere, somehow, she thanks you for it.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Xmann

Re: Drazzil mega thread: I had Lucy put down this morning.

Post by Xmann »

Drazzil wrote:
Kraken wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:17 am I am sorry that you are facing this moment. I've had to do it three times over the years, and it never gets easier.

I did the cremation thing. I'll scatter her ashes at a park. I also did the plaster paw. Will run me about $100 plus the 75 I already dropped. She ate really well this morning. I bought her some special food which she cleaned her plate of. So well that for a few minutes I considered seeing if I could maybe get her better, then I remembered all the things wrong with her so I nixxed that idea.

She went very gently. Held by me. I stayed till about 10 minutes after the last injection, telling her how much I loved her. I left till about two or three minutes after they tried to kick me out. Just petting her as she lie on the table.

Then I left. I figure I punched her ticket in style.
You did the right thing Drazz. Letting go is painful, but you did right by her. That's the responsible and loving thing to do.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:47 pm No! Do not get more cats! Not even free JeffV ones. No!
:::switches label to SmooveB, Right Coast:::
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im glad to read your mom's name is not Lucy.

On the flip side Im sorry for your baby loss. They are so loved by us that it hurts beyond what other folks can most time comprehend. She is now pain and sickness free and it is you who are sick over it. Get well soon man.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

When I lost my cat (who was 18) two summers ago it was the worst emotional pain I have felt in a very long time. Since then I've had two more cat friends leave, but it hurt a lot less. Maybe because I knew it was coming.

You are probably going to be alternately depressed and enraged over the next few days and weeks. Be aware of your feelings, definitely don't get upset at your other cats.

I'll tell you from firsthand experience, drinking your sorrow away does not work. You wake up with a hangover and feel just as sad as you did before. You have to deal with the situation, as unpleasant as it may be. 5 stages of grief and all that.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

killbot737 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:08 pm When I lost my cat (who was 18) two summers ago it was the worst emotional pain I have felt in a very long time. Since then I've had two more cat friends leave, but it hurt a lot less. Maybe because I knew it was coming.

You are probably going to be alternately depressed and enraged over the next few days and weeks. Be aware of your feelings, definitely don't get upset at your other cats.

I'll tell you from firsthand experience, drinking your sorrow away does not work. You wake up with a hangover and feel just as sad as you did before. You have to deal with the situation, as unpleasant as it may be. 5 stages of grief and all that.
I mourned Princess for years. She was 11 when she passed. Cried about her a few months ago, even though it's been 3 or 4 years. I mourned Sheeba for months. She was 13. Havent cried about her in about six months. I cried for Lucy for about a week now, and a little after the deed was done... but now I'm sorta calm.

I feel sadness, but very little right now. I'm not sure if it's because I lost 3 cats now, or because Lucy has been real withdrawn for months now, and I had to come to her bed to interact with her, or because the vet has said that she would die "any time now" for the last TWO YEARS... But right now I dont feel too much grief.

18 years of love, good food, affection, dotage and being a part of my family means she had a real good run. Some humans don't get a good a life as Lucy got. Maybe its because I'm numb but as of this moment, not really grieving. I'm celebrating that I got her to the end without her life being cut short. Even at the end I was checking on her three times a day to love her. She REALLY had a good life. I wouldn't mind being reincarnated as Lucy.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Or I could just be numb.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

You could do that too. You loved that cat. You did everything you could to keep her happy. Now it's time to let her go, and remember her and cherish her.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:28 pm It's a VERY serious disease for any of his cats that have it.
Treatment

This disease is difficult to treat and requires good supportive care. With the non-effusive form, treatment may be given using antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, and immunosuppressive drugs to slow the progress of the disease spread. This is not a cure, but a way to make your cat more comfortable and to prolong its life by a few months. Your veterinarian might decide to remove accumulated fluid from the cavities to reduce pressure as well.

If your cat has the effusive form of FIP, there is usually no way of treating the symptoms in any meaningful way, as the disease spreads too rapidly.

The overall prognosis for affected cats is poor. There is no specific treatment which seems effective and most patient die due to complications.

He has a few paths.

Seperate them and then deal with those that have it and save the lives of those that don't have it.

Let them all just catch it.
He speaks of finding out which one(s) have it and then innoculate those that don't - and live in harmony. From what I have read, I don't think that is really an option.

They (PetMD) does speak of the pointlessness to quarantine (*if they have this level of the infection)
Once your cat has been diagnosed with this infection it has passed the stage of contagion and it is not necessary to quarantine the cat from the rest of the household. In general, the only way to protect your cat from this aggressive disease is to practice routine disinfection of your cat's living areas, food/water utensils, and cages.
Holy fucking shit. Just... damnit. I don't know what the fuck I am going to do if the rest of my cats test positive. I thought that cats could live with this for their whole lives without developing FIP. I've had the youngest ones since January with nary a whisper of them getting sick. I have noticed absolutely none of any unusual signs of infection or odd behavior in any of my other cats.

This is just brutal.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

At this point I think they may all be carriers. It's flea season around here and I have been battling fleas since April of this year. They could have been infected that way, or the two new kittens could have brought it in in January and it could have been introduced that way, or one of the older cats could be the "immune" carrier.

Fuck.

I honestly think I will die of grief if all my cats have FIP.

What a kick in the balls.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Or it could be that they are all carriers and it just ran rampant in Lucy because she had cancer and kidney failure and was 18.

Lucy had a LOT of stuff wrong with her, and I wouldn't put it past a sneaky disease like that coronavirus to lay dormant till Lucy was knocking at deaths door.

I have a lot of bad news to process lately. Mom isin't doing great and the hospice says that she won't live much longer. Just a day for bad news I think.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Or it could be that they are all carriers and it just ran rampant in Lucy because she had cancer and kidney failure and was 18.

Lucy had a LOT of stuff wrong with her, and I wouldn't put it past a sneaky disease like that coronavirus to lay dormant till Lucy was knocking at deaths door.

I have a lot of bad news to process lately. Mom isin't doing great and the hospice says that she won't live much longer. Just a day for bad news I think.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Or you could be overreacting to something that might possibly happen and you are spinning it into an apocalyptic scenario in your head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Drazzil wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:04 am Holy fucking shit. Just... damnit. I don't know what the fuck I am going to do if the rest of my cats test positive. I thought that cats could live with this for their whole lives without developing FIP. I've had the youngest ones since January with nary a whisper of them getting sick. I have noticed absolutely none of any unusual signs of infection or odd behavior in any of my other cats.

This is just brutal.
Drazzil: I lost a kitten to FIP a couple of years ago, so I can share some of my experience and the information my vet gave me at the time. First, my vet concurred with your understanding that "cats could live with [feline coronavirus] for their whole lives without developing FIP". We were told that coronavirus-becoming-FIP was simply a random mutation of the virus or a result of a genetic defect in the kitten involved, that it was extremely low-probability, and that while it was fatal for the kitten involved, it was extremely unlikely to affect either of the other two cats in our household. They might have picked up the coronavirus but, even if they did, it was a only a remote possibility that it would ever cause a problem.

Indeed, in the couple of years since, neither of those cats have had any problems. We also adopted another kitten subsequently and it has grown up in the house, past the point that the previous kitten died, without issues. We never bothered having either of the other two adults cats tested for FCoV and no one is quarantined.

So, I get it. FIP is nasty. I'd never even heard of it before taking that kitten to the vet when he starting showing symptoms and I was floored when we were given the diagnosis and told that there was no treatment. I was scared of getting another kitten afterwards for quite some time.

But it is extremely unlikely that any of your other cats have it and, even if they have FCoV, there's not much you can do. If they all have FCoV already or none of them have it, then obviously there's no point to a quarantine. And if some do and some don't, we reasoned that maintaining a permanent household quarantine (which was essentially completely impractical anyway) only to try and avoid the other cats picking up a virus that would almost certainly be completely benign for them didn't make sense.

Maybe earn yourself some piece of mind by making a point to completely change their litter a bit more often than you do now, disinfecting or replacing the boxes, and so on, but otherwise, this is just one of those risks-of-life that we have to get used to. It's scary because we didn't know about it before but, really, it's probably more likely that you'll lose a cat one day to a bookshelf falling over on them during an earthquake than you will to FIP.

- Ash
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Thanks for clearing that up Ash.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

It's good that my cats can stay together. They love eachother, and do everything together.

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Ever since Lucy died it seems like the fleas all jumped to my other cats. It's funny cause I didn't think she had fleas. I checked her constantly.

I treated all the cats with diametreous earth. The fleas are going nuts biting on the cats, hiding in their toes, causing all kinds of trouble, but I'll treat them as often as I need to to be rid of them.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

You might want to try actual flea medicine. I mean I like diatoms as a side dish once in a while, but I wouldn't put my feet in them. What were you talking about?
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

My cats eat together, play together, sleep together, play together, do everything together. Life seperated would be death for all the older ones and perhaps too much shock for even the two kittens to bear.

Ace was dying of grief when Sheeba died. He was thin and unkempt when I pulled him out of the closet he had secluded himself in. He did a little better when I came back, but not much. He would pace the house making kitten sounds with an object in his mouth.

When I got the kittens, he perked right up. He immediately became a "dad" to the two youngest ones. He plays with them, eats with them, grooms them, you name it. I cant imagine separating them.

They are mourning Lucy tonight. Huddled on my bed. They are all in shock.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

killbot737 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:31 pm You might want to try actual flea medicine. I mean I like diatoms as a side dish once in a while, but I wouldn't put my feet in them. What were you talking about?
I gave my cats this generic for frontline plus but it doesent work like frontline. I dosed my cats a few days ago, and it pretty much doesent work.

When I dusted the cats with food grade diametrious earth, but the fleas just move to the spots that might be harder to reach. Private parts, fold of the ears, nose, toes, you name it.