2024 Fundraising - $1192 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

tesla motors

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: tesla motors

Post by Zaxxon »

Tesla's typical trouble. Sucks. FWIW, I configured 19 days ago and have yet to receive a VIN. I ordered a spare J1772 adapter and will likely have it tomorrow.

To stare at.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Got my VIN tonight!

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I hope Tesla is highly successful with semi-trucks because the once reliable diesel has been turned into a maintenance and repair nightmare by regulation. :cry: We've spent as much on a used truck as we would have for a brand new truck if we could have gotten a loan, and all we have is still a problematic used truck. Cars I'm a firm believer in buying used, semi-trucks not so much. :grund: If we had the scratch, we'd probably reserve a Tesla.

In like news I find the economies of scale in China amazing regarding their public transit bus fleet.
Every five weeks, Chinese cities add 9,500 of the zero-emissions transporters—the equivalent of London’s entire working fleet
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... l-industry
Re-electing Biden is like the Titanic backing up to hit the iceberg again!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Woohoo I got through by phone and delivery is set for 5:15 pm on Cinco de Mayo!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 4:27 pm Woohoo I got through by phone and delivery is set for 5:15 pm on Cinco de Mayo!
Awesome! May the 4th is with you. Here's hoping your Cinco de Mayo is a good one.

I heard from my ISA last night and should have a delivery date set up soon.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We anticipate your clear-eyed, critical reviews. :)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kraken wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 4:44 pm We anticipate your clear-eyed, critical reviews. :)
I'm sure I'll find some panel gaps to bitch about.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

At last after one last FUBAR I'm in!
I think I wisely picked a color that matches the standard rims. The only deficiency was a fix it light was on for the cap over the charging port, whatch worked fine when I used it. Beware you will need a 240 amp outlet at home for charging purposes or be woefully inefficient for charging. Zero to 60 in what feels like 3 seconds - it's a freaking rocket and quiet af.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 4:51 pm At last after one last FUBAR I'm in!
I think I wisely picked a color that matches the standard rims. The only deficiency was a fix it light was on for the cap over the charging port, which worked fine when I used it. Beware you will need a 240 amp outlet at home for charging purposes or be woefully inefficient for charging. Zero to 60 in what feels like 3 seconds - it's a freaking rocket and quiet af.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Congrats!
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

That's sweet. That's the color I would have chosen as well.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
stessier

Post by stessier »

Congrats. But if you need a 240 amp outlet, this car will never make it to the big time. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Maybe he drives a lot each day. A lot.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Very nice!

I’m hoping I can get a 40amp line to the garage in my condo. My panel box is full and I have no idea what I’m rated coming in, 100 or 200 amps. I’ll find out soon when the electrician checks out my setup.

Enjoy the car!
Enough

Post by Enough »

Saaaweeeet! Congrats on the ride, looks awesome!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
stessier

Post by stessier »

I think I might have asked this before, but couldn't find it with a quick search.

Have either of you guys installed a level 2 home charger? If so, which one did you go with?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yes. I have a JuiceBox Pro 40. Very happy with it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Woo!Image
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Nice color!
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

That color looks great. That’s the one I would have picked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Thanks!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Congrats man! Now theoretically I will get $10k in rebates.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:43 pm Woo!Enlarge Image
“Sir, will you please stop coming in and taking selfies with our cars.”

Love the color. :dance:
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

This may surprise you all, but after putting about 100 miles on it tonight, I think the car is awesome.

No panel alignment issues, no squeaks or rattles.

Sound system is fantastic, as is the included Slacker Plus / TuneIn integration and free LTE connectivity.

Nav using Google Maps on that giant, fluid screen is the first vehicle nav that I can say is on par with my phone.

Handles better than any car I've owned (granted, I haven't owned sports cars).

Phone key is good. Once it's set up, you can just walk up to the car and open the door if your phone is on you. Press the brake and go. Get to your destination, put it in park and get out. The car locks and goes to sleep as you walk away.

Homelink implementation is great. It will shut the garage automatically when you leave, and open it as you approach.

Phone app is nice and responsive. It'll lock/unlock, honk the horn or flash the lights, open the trucks and charge port, show you charging status, let you heat/cool the cabin, and show you where your car is. Like with the TuneIn and connectivity, there is no extra charge for this.

Autopilot is good.

Looking forward to playing with it some more. Here are some shots of the app in the meantime...

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Side note: dealerships should be scared. My trade appraisal consisted of an SMS from Tesla that took me to a mobile web form where I entered the make, model, mileage, condition, and 4 photos from different angles. The next day they made an offer that matched the one I got earlier from CarMax as a backup in case Tesla lowballed me. Took me all of five minutes, at home.

They had me e-sign a purchase agreement earlier this week in my Tesla account. When I got to the delivery center today, my total visit time was 46 minutes, most of which was a tutorial on the car. Paperwork took, no joke, maybe five minutes. There was no referral to a sales dude's cousin Vinny for undercarriage protection or extended warranties. No finance guy looking to hose me on a loan. I financed through my credit union, but had I chosen to go through Tesla, it's a similar process to the trade-in: apply in the Tesla account interface and it's done before delivery day.

Of course, you're also paying sticker price. But this process was about as painless as it could possibly have been.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dont think Ive seen wheels like that before. Is that the wheel itself or a cover? Pretty impressive though. And they are right with the color..that is a badass blue.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Those are what Tesla calls Aero wheels. It's a cover designed to reduce drag and add something like 5-10% range. The covers can come off and then the wheel looks like this:

I plan to leave the covers on as I think they look better than expected with the blue.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ahhh of course. Never considered that to be a air resistance savings area before. Nice wheels under them too. But ya they do set it apart.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It's rather incredible how well Tesla's made this thing glide through the air. It's more efficient than the Leaf it replaced, and the Leaf is very much a weird mobile to save energy, with those frogeyed headlamps and diffusers along the hood. This car is 3.5" wider, much heavier and a lot quicker. I got about 220 Wh/mi for my first 100 miles, including a bunch of jackrabbit starts. The Leaf was using around 240.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Very cool, Zax! I'm not jealous at all.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:49 pmImage
I really like how you matched the car with your shoes. Well done Sir!

Congrats you 2! Keep posting impressions so I can regret my decision not to get one at this time.
naednek

Post by naednek »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:51 pm That color looks great. That’s the one I would have picked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Not me. Too close to the Dodgers color...
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

You need to start referring some OOers to get those Arachnid rims.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Sure. What would you like to order?
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:You need to start referring some OOers to get those Arachnid rims.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

In order to download the Tesla app I had to udgrade the OS on my phone which was an adventure in itself (still rocking an iphone 4 free from work). But it is working fine. I especially like being able to check the charge status remotely. You have to enter your Tesla password before you can use the phone to start your car. I also carry the key card in my wallet in case of lost or uncharged phone.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
raydude

Post by raydude »

So I recall reading a review of the Model 3 where one big disadvantage in the reviewer's mind was the issue of windshield wiper control. Apparently the wipers come on automatically but the reviewer felt they would come on a little late for his taste. But also apparently one does not have full wiper control on the wiper stalk. One has to look at the UI panel and touch at least two buttons to get the wipers to go on or off and to control their speed.

Care to comment on this? I'd prefer to not have to take my gaze off the road, especially for something as simple as wiper control. The article also mentioned that apparently a software update is coming that will enable voice activation for the wipers.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

They improved it, but I can see how some folks might think it's an issue still. Under the current firmware, you can wipe once via the stalk, and that also causes the wiper control UI to appear in the bottom-left of the screen. Then it's one touch to adjust the settings. Before the update, you'd have to manually open up the wiper UI through the touchscreen if you wanted to change it.

Or you can just leave it on auto. It hasn't rained since I got it, so I don't yet have a feel for how good it bad auto does.
DD*

Post by DD* »

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/busi ... /34918085/

Article on Tesla by the Detroit News’ auto writer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

DD* wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:18 am https://www.detroitnews.com/story/busi ... /34918085/

Article on Tesla by the Detroit News’ auto writer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's some hard-hitting reporting:
In an April Fool’s Day tweet datelined Palo Alto, Musk wrote:

“Despite intense efforts to raise money, including a last-ditch mass sale of Easter Eggs, we are sad to report that Tesla has gone completely and totally bankrupt. So bankrupt, you can’t believe it.”

Funny? Investors didn’t think so — and they’d be right. Erratic impulsiveness is seldom a good trait in a CEO
It's almost as if people are the problem.