NY vs. Trump - Financial Fraud Case

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Grifman

NY vs. Trump - Financial Fraud Case

Post by Grifman »

Surprised there wasn’t a thread for this already, apologies if I missed it.

But anyway, seems like someone was a naughty boy and got called out for his behavior:

“Unhinged, deranged fraud defendant Donald Trump posted at attack on the Clerk for Judge Engoron on Truth Social during his trial today.

Trump listed her name, claimed that she is Senator Chuck Schumer's girlfriend, posted her phone, a link to her Instagram account, and demanded that his case be dismissed because of her.

Trump was reportedly brought back into the courtroom after leaving for lunch. The doors were then closed for session between the attorneys, Trump, and the judge. Trump then deleted the post.”

https://www.meidastouch.com/news/trump- ... dges-clerk

I’d have given $100 to be able to be there at that meeting.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Re: NY vs. Trump - Financial Fraud Case

Post by Grifman »

The judge has issued a gag order, and ordered Trump to take the post down:

https://x.com/eorden/status/17092834127 ... NcXCfN8s1g
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Solitary confinement sounds like a great way to put a gag on him.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Grifman wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:22 pm The judge has issued a gag order, and ordered Trump to take the post down:

https://x.com/eorden/status/17092834127 ... NcXCfN8s1g
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I love that the clerk taking a selfie with Schumer means she's his girlfriend but Trump ogling ass in a video with Epstein means he didn't know the guy.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:54 pm
Grifman wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:22 pm The judge has issued a gag order, and ordered Trump to take the post down:

https://shitrer.com/eorden/status/17092 ... NcXCfN8s1g
Issy,
You are doing a service to this country.

Thank you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:handgestures-salute:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Trump: The criming---I did it.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Oh the wheel of time has come back around again and it's just the time where he somehow convinces people he should be allowed to commit crimes.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

"I don't even need the loan, I have so much money."

Weird then, right?
malchior

Post by malchior »

The attack on this trial by Trump is a harbinger of 2024. He amplified it this morning with a direct call for "HELP!". It seems almost certain he is going to stoke political violence if he continues this way. And I doubt we are up to the challenge we are about to face.
I’m in a rat’s nest of NEW YORK DEMOCRAT CORRUPTION, a reason so many companies are leaving New York, our Racist Attorney General filled a lawsuit whose facts and VALUATIONS are wrong, like $18,000,000 for Mar-a-Lago, when it is worth, perhaps, 100 times that amount, and numerous other properties, likewise, that this case is a political SHAM that should never have been brought. I DON’T EVEN GET A JURY – Therefore, a Radical Left Judge, who came up through Democrat Club System, will decide. It is not possible that he can be fair. Every decision he makes has been a horror show. It is why I do the set asides with the media – To explain the case, and what is going on. Our CORRUPT, RACIST, & INCOMPETENT A.G., Letitia “Peekaboo” James, considered the WORST ATTORNEY GENERAL IN THE UNITED STATES, refused to bring this case under the respected “Commercial Division,” where judges understand Valuations and Real Estate. This Trump Hating Judge doesn’t. The Appellant Division must intercede, NOW!
The ridiculous A.G. case against me in New York, brought by the Racist and Incompetent Peekaboo James, is being studied and mocked all over the World. Companies are Fleeing! It, and the highly political, Trump Hating Judge, are DESTROYING the Image and Reputation of the New York State Legal System & Courts. I don’t even get a Jury! All of this while MURDERS & VIOLENT CRIME HIT UNIMAGINABLE RECORDS! This is sooo bad for New York. HELP! The respected Commercial Division, where it should have been sent in the first place, must take over this “sh.. show.”
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

He's just free speechin', I'm sure.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

malchior wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:19 am The attack on this trial by Trump is a harbinger of 2024. He amplified it this morning with a direct call for "HELP!". It seems almost certain he is going to stoke political violence if he continues this way. And I doubt we are up to the challenge we are about to face.
I’m in a rat’s nest of NEW YORK DEMOCRAT CORRUPTION, a reason so many companies are leaving New York, our Racist Attorney General filled a lawsuit whose facts and VALUATIONS are wrong, like $18,000,000 for Mar-a-Lago, when it is worth, perhaps, 100 times that amount, and numerous other properties, likewise, that this case is a political SHAM that should never have been brought. I DON’T EVEN GET A JURY – Therefore, a Radical Left Judge, who came up through Democrat Club System, will decide. It is not possible that he can be fair. Every decision he makes has been a horror show. It is why I do the set asides with the media – To explain the case, and what is going on. Our CORRUPT, RACIST, & INCOMPETENT A.G., Letitia “Peekaboo” James, considered the WORST ATTORNEY GENERAL IN THE UNITED STATES, refused to bring this case under the respected “Commercial Division,” where judges understand Valuations and Real Estate. This Trump Hating Judge doesn’t. The Appellant Division must intercede, NOW!
The ridiculous A.G. case against me in New York, brought by the Racist and Incompetent Peekaboo James, is being studied and mocked all over the World. Companies are Fleeing! It, and the highly political, Trump Hating Judge, are DESTROYING the Image and Reputation of the New York State Legal System & Courts. I don’t even get a Jury! All of this while MURDERS & VIOLENT CRIME HIT UNIMAGINABLE RECORDS! This is sooo bad for New York. HELP! The respected Commercial Division, where it should have been sent in the first place, must take over this “sh.. show.”
Doesn't he "not get a jury" because his lawyers didn't ask for one?

Also, I just LOVE to read all of his PANIC, it's kind FUN.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I don't love it at all. He is going to get people killed. Again.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah, you are, of course, correct.

Give me a little slack. I'm not speaking to that angle of the message at all. I'm just saying it's nice to think that Trump is genuinely worried right now that shit is getting real.
malchior

Post by malchior »

People react to horror in different ways and I'm not calling it out in any way. I *personally* don't have capacity for levity in the panicked reaction of this guy any more. Especially when it has him calling out threats on individuals or talking about migrants poisoning the blood of the nation (as he did yesterday). His rage is going to get people killed and I (again just me) can't find anything even a little funny in that anymore.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

That conduct will drive the judge to act. It’s foolish to piss off the judge who controls your fate and has the power to impose consequences.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:10 am That conduct will drive the judge to act. It’s foolish to piss off the judge who controls your fate and has the power to impose consequences.
True. The judge very well might impose consequences. Unfortunately that'll probably just intensify his attack on the system. That isn't any attempt to counsel caution from the judge but more a comment that this is one of the 'sure bet' things we can take away from this chaos. He will act out and apparently he is way past pushing the limits. Luckily we haven't seen any real kinetic action...yet...but if it does all hell breaks loose.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I get that the judicial system is its own special kind of bureaucracy and that it's taken very seriously, but I'm surprised that having a trial by jury is decided solely by a checkbox on a form and not subject to some verbal/personal confirmation. Especially when a rich(?) white man who happens to be a former President of the United States is involved.

I get that his lawyers mistakenly didn't check that box, but is the judge/clerk/System being overly picky or deliberately ignoring something that should have prompted a phone call? Not that I don't love that Trump is getting screwed here, just curious.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Daveman wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:58 am I get that the judicial system is its own special kind of bureaucracy and that it's taken very seriously, but I'm surprised that having a trial by jury is decided solely by a checkbox on a form and not subject to some verbal/personal confirmation. Especially when a rich(?) white man who happens to be a former President of the United States is involved.

I get that his lawyers mistakenly didn't check that box, but is the judge/clerk/System being overly picky or deliberately ignoring something that should have prompted a phone call? Not that I don't love that Trump is getting screwed here, just curious.
My understanding was that it was SO obviously fraud that they just skipped right past the trial.
When?
A judge ruled against Trump and his co-defendants late last month, concluding that many of the defendants’ claims were “clearly” fraudulent—so clearly that he didn’t need a trial to hear them. (He also sanctioned Trump’s lawyers for making repeated frivolous arguments.) A trial to determine the amount of damages Trump owes began Monday in Manhattan, and could stretch for weeks or even months.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ource=feed
malchior

Post by malchior »

Daveman wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:58 am I get that the judicial system is its own special kind of bureaucracy and that it's taken very seriously, but I'm surprised that having a trial by jury is decided solely by a checkbox on a form and not subject to some verbal/personal confirmation. Especially when a rich(?) white man who happens to be a former President of the United States is involved.

FWIW they didn't "mistakenly" fail to check a box. They checked a box that specifically requested a bench trial. He wasn't screwed. A team of people made a choice for their client here and this barking about a jury or not jury is just part of his attack. Don't fall for it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Unagi wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:52 am Yeah, you are, of course, correct.

Give me a little slack. I'm not speaking to that angle of the message at all. I'm just saying it's nice to think that Trump is genuinely worried right now that shit is getting real.
I'll give you some slack. I want him to squirm. In fact I want him to break. If he's a broken man at the end of all this, it won't make up for the damage he's done, but at least there would be a modicum of justice.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

He doesn’t seem even close to breaking unfortunately.

I hope he’s not intentionally spouting off like this to turn his significant, already rage-fueled following into violent super soldiers.

As in, he knows he’s toast legally, so he’s going for broke and hoping the max chaos that he causes will somehow end up altering what seems to be inevitable.

I’m REALLY hoping it’s just his typical ‘I can’t keep my mouth shut even if it results in Perjuring myself”.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I think at some point we need to come to terms with the fact that if we ever hope to hold Trump accountable for his crimes, it is absolutely going to come with a mother-fucking-shitstorm-freakout-call-to-arms like we have never seen before.

Let's understand that's part of what this will inevitably include.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Being cut off from an audience IS a major punishment for TFG, and it seems incredibly unlikely he will be able to abide by the terms of any sort of gag order.

I am really looking forward to his first time behind bars being cause by 'contemt of court', which really does seem to be one of his defining character traits.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Beating a dead horse and all that, and I usually try to steer clear of listening to any actual audio of him speaking because it enrages me, but I did listen to the video above. It's STILL a bit shocking to me to what extent this man believes he is the center of the universe, unique, "like no one else" (and I think he ALMOST was going to say "in the world" after that but actually caught himself maybe), for things in which he's not special or unique. The irony is that he IS unique and special in so many ways, but just not the ones he wants to be known and praised for.

OTOH think how fucking scary he would be if he pivoted and embraced that side of himself...he truly is a force, like nobody else, etc. in so many ways, socially, politically, etc. But his ego of wanting to be internet and TV famous for being (rich and famous) outweighs all that...that's a VERY thin silver lining, but it's something. Let's just hope he doesn't change HOW he wants to be famous, and remembered.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:58 pm He doesn’t seem even close to breaking unfortunately.
According to meidastouch, he's moments from a mental breakdown. Any moment now. :D

But even without that hyperbole, it's clear to me that he's suffering, and that has to be good enough, for now.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Unagi wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:46 pm I think at some point we need to come to terms with the fact that if we ever hope to hold Trump accountable for his crimes, it is absolutely going to come with a mother-fucking-shitstorm-freakout-call-to-arms like we have never seen before.

Let's understand that's part of what this will inevitably include.
And accept it. Rule of law applies to everyone, even those who threaten violence. Especially those who do. If drumpf suffering consequences for his actions results in violence, so be it. Freedom isn't free, is my understanding. That applies to many different scenarios.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Gah, starting to lean “take it as far as he can to unleash the hordes” vs ‘just can’t keep trap shut’:

“Former President Donald Trump has continued to attack the judge overseeing the civil fraud trial against him and the Trump Organization, criticizing Manhattan Judge Arthur Engoron on Truth Social multiple times Thursday, even after the judge imposed a gag order to prevent the ex-president from attacking court staff.”
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Does he believe that somehow this is personal for the judge and another judge won't be assigned and step in without hesitation (but with protection now, assuming something happens to the previous one)?

This is idiotic. If his judge died from a heart attack, car accident, or murder, drumpf's still on the hook.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

If it wasn't personal before, well, he's certainly made it personal now with his continued attacks. And he's only making things worse for himself.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Do people really think his attacks are going to affect a judge's decisions?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

What's frustrating is that if any of us kept spewing threats after being issued a gag order, we'd be in jail before we could turn the PC/phone off.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:19 pm What's frustrating is that if any of us kept spewing threats after being issued a gag order, we'd be in jail before we could turn the PC/phone off.
Exactly. What ARE the consequences of a defendant defying a judge's gag order? Do we even know? When will said penalties be applied in this particular douchebag's case?
Brian

Post by Brian »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:27 pm
YellowKing wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:19 pm What's frustrating is that if any of us kept spewing threats after being issued a gag order, we'd be in jail before we could turn the PC/phone off.
Exactly. What ARE the consequences of a defendant defying a judge's gag order? Do we even know?
Someone saying mean things about him on CNN?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:27 pmExactly. What ARE the consequences of a defendant defying a judge's gag order? Do we even know?
Contempt of court with sanctions ranging from fines to indefinite stays in custody. I don't think the latter possibility happens much in general much less in a civil case.
stessier

Post by stessier »

There's also a 1st Amendment question around gag orders that would likely preclude any type of real enforcement here.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ooooh, FINES! :D

He can probably generate any amount the highest possible fine would be in a couple days of email campaigns with his cult like base.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Not to mention the flouting of the gag order only underscores the kind of character he is, and why he's in for fraud in the first place.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:07 pm Do people really think his attacks are going to affect a judge's decisions?
Of course not. Because all judges are able to turn off their personal feelings.

I'm not disparaging judges. Many really do make an effort to ignore their own opinions and stick with the laws and precedent, and recuse when they believe that they can't be impartial. But on issues where the judge has leeway to interpret or choose, they remain human beings, subject to their feelings, even if only subconsciously.

Others, of course, will straight-out slap down someone who has annoyed them. And I can't help but think that there's something in their training that lets the defendant's attitude and behavior during the trial factor into those decisions as well.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)