What PC Power Supply Do I Need?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

What PC Power Supply Do I Need?

Post by Kasey Chang »

Bought an iBuyPower Trace PC from Amazon back in... 2019. It's got an i7-9700K, 16 GB RAM (DDR-4), and RTX 2070. I am pretty sure it's got 600-ish Watt Power supply, but the fan is making weird noises. So, what should I get as a replacement? Motherboard is an ASRock Z370 IB_R (ibuypower special model).

I don't tinker with my PC much so I probably don't need modular, but there's a weird jump in price. The 600W p/s are going for like 35-40, but the 750W p/s are going for like 70-110.

Don't give a bleep about RGB.

So the question is, do I upgrade my P/S slightly? Keep with 600W and save money? Which one?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Anonymous Bosch

Re: What PC Power Supply Do I Need?

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:59 am Bought an iBuyPower Trace PC from Amazon back in... 2019. It's got an i7-9700K, 16 GB RAM (DDR-4), and RTX 2070. I am pretty sure it's got 600-ish Watt Power supply, but the fan is making weird noises. So, what should I get as a replacement? Motherboard is an ASRock Z370 IB_R (ibuypower special model).

I don't tinker with my PC much so I probably don't need modular, but there's a weird jump in price. The 600W p/s are going for like 35-40, but the 750W p/s are going for like 70-110.

Don't give a bleep about RGB.

So the question is, do I upgrade my P/S slightly? Keep with 600W and save money? Which one?
I'd suggest using a Power Supply Unit (PSU) calculator for a more accurate determination of the required wattage for your particular system, such as this from PC-builds.com:

Power Supply Unit (PSU) Calculator
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I wouldn't cheap out on the PS. I've had many a PS blow up and it's not fun and can nuke your other parts.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Octavious wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:35 am I wouldn't cheap out on the PS. I've had many a PS blow up and it's not fun and can nuke your other parts.
Absolutely. A bad power supply can kill anything attached to it, and even if it doesn't, it can cause all sorts of hard-to-troubleshoot wonkiness.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

750W is overkill with RTX 2070. That wouldn't be a slight upgrade, that would be a massive upgrade. The calculator that AB linked seems to be even more conservative and thinks your system is pulling less than 450 wattage. Unless you plan on also upgrading your GPU soon, 600W is enough.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

This Thermaltake should be fine then:

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Cert ... B014W3EMAO
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Yup that should be fine.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com