Looking for a new SSD Drive

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Grifman

Looking for a new SSD Drive

Post by Grifman »

I am getting a new 2 TB SSD drive for my PC. Any recommendations? I'm looking at this one but to be honest, I don't know much about SSD's or what to look for.

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Internal ... true&th=1

Thanks!

Edit: Do I need a heat sink? I see some drives being sold with them. Again, thanks.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Kasey Chang

Re: Looking for a new SSD Drive

Post by Kasey Chang »

SATA or M.2?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Samsung or WD are both good choice for consumer-grade SSD.

Not very familiar with heatsink but my understanding it you need it on PCIE4 drives, since they run much hotter.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:17 am SATA or M.2?
I have no idea, that’s how much I know about hard drives.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Heatsinks generally only appear on the M.2 type SSDs, which are smaller (looks like oversized memory modules) and much smaller than hard drives. M.2 can be quite fast for mainboards that have the M.2 slots, as those are often directly attached to PCI-Express bus. You can also buy expansion cards that plugs into PCI-Express slots that you can plug a M.2 SSD into. M.2 are really popular on laptops, but due to the high density, they can heat up in use, which is why they often have heatsinks, and later, aftermarket heatsinks.

Regular SATA SSD hooks up to PC with SATA power and data cable, and goes into the same drive mounting points as spinning hard drives. But they are technically a little slower due to SATA limits. Those don't have heatsinks as the exterior case helps spread out the heat.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Grifman wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:09 am
Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:17 am SATA or M.2?
I have no idea, that’s how much I know about hard drives.
Simplified version: Do you want something that looks like a small platter drive, sits in a bay, and is connected to the motherboard by wires like a hard drive (SATA), or a 'chip' style drive (like the one you linked to) that plugs directly into a special M.2 slot in your motherboard? You'd need to check your motherboard manual to make sure it supports M.2 drives. Most modern ones support 2-3.

FWIW, the M.2 drives are a little more expensive, but are considerably faster.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Montag

Post by Montag »

If an M.2 I would recommend the Samsung 980 Pro. It is a premium drive - but not ultra premium. With them being PCI 4, you would be able to carry them forward to a future rig without really giving up much performance.

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/me ... /#benefits

For the 2.5" SATA, I went with a Samsung EVO 870. You have a lot more comparable options here.

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/me ... 7e1t0b-am/
words