2023 Steam Christmas/Wishmas Giving

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Formix

Re: 2023 Steam Christmas/Wishmas Giving

Post by Formix »

Thanks Jaddison for King Arthur, I've been eyeing that one for quite some time.

And thank you scoop for Carrion. Scalzi mentioned playing that on one of his Xitter posts, and I've been debating getting it every sale since then!

Thanks folks!
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Scoop, thank you for Alan's Automaton Workshop, it does look interesting, and I look forward to diving in after the new year!

Lassr, thank you for Rollerdrome. This one just oozes style and fluidity, and just know I'll suck at it, but I still want to play it.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hey, Lassr! Thanks for Surviving Mars: Green Planet. Surviving Mars has been on my short list (as in 'already installed') for a couple of months now, waiting for a lull in holidays, and this is one of the recommended 'must have' DLC.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:23 am I was waiting and waiting for you to put some lower priced stuff in your list.
It took me an hour and a half to find a couple of under-$10 items. The days of the sub-$5 games are gone, unless you're into certain types of indie games, and I won't put something on the list just to give people something to buy. If I'm not really wanting it and intending to actually play it, then having people spend on it is just having them throw their money away. I won't do that - I'd be happier just receiving one item that I want than twice its value in things I don't. I'd do the Jaddison thing first and just take part in the giving portion. So, I put the cheapest items on my real wishlist up, and if I get something, awesome, and if I don't? Awesome.

Daehawk wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:23 am Maybe Im weird but with us being such a small group now I felt I should get everyone in on this a gift game and not leave anyone out.....cept for Jaddison.
FWIW, there's no expectation of that at all. I always try to give as much as I get, and I always try to prioritize those with the fewest 'received' entries on the list (which is why it's important to keep it updated!)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:08 am

blackhawk, i see your ITAD page lists Phantom Liberty 'best price' on GOG. i am confirming that in fact you do own Cyberpunk 2077 on GOG...

blackhawk, please see above...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:15 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:08 am

blackhawk, i see your ITAD page lists Phantom Liberty 'best price' on GOG. i am confirming that in fact you do own Cyberpunk 2077 on GOG...

blackhawk, please see above...
Oops, sorry, didn't see the first. Holiday chaos.

I own it on Steam. I have it in the comments on the sheet, but it's not that noticeable - if I list DLC, I own the base game on Steam.

If you click the entry on ITAD, it will show you the current price on all of the stores (and in this case, they're all the same price.) Also, ITAD only list vetted, established stores, never grey market/key resellers.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Honestly, I figured I was doing people a favor by giving them a heads-up on better deals for wishlist items (of the six items still on my list, three are cheaper elsewhere), plus the ability to extend Wishlistmas to GoG, etc. But it seems to be causing more confusion than anything. If so, I can just skip it next year and add stuff to my Steam wishlist. The main reason that I quit using it is because I do use it to keep track of games that I'm not ready to pull the trigger on just yet - and cleaning it out for the Christmas sale always meant losing track of everything I didn't actually 'want' by removing it all and trying to remember what to add back later.

After all these years, Steam still hasn't caught up with the rest of the world when it comes to wishlists (you should be able to make multiple lists for different types of things) and organizing your library. That's why I use ITAD - it lets me keep a list for VR, one for cooperative games, one for regular games, one for games that I'm only interested in if it's on deep sale, one for games that I'm unsure on but want to check later when they've had more time, etc. Well, that, and being notified whenever something I want goes on sale on Humble, or Fanatical, or GMG, etc. These days it's Steam's competition (or whatever they are) that have the best deals, not Steam.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My list is ITAD also. Most stuff is Steam activated. If not I have the other main services too. And those most go to Steam as well anyways..cept maybe GoG and Epic.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Thanks to Scoop for Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty - this is next on my playlist after I finish with Starfield. Much appreciated!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:20 pm Honestly, I figured I was doing people a favor by giving them a heads-up on better deals for wishlist items (of the six items still on my list, three are cheaper elsewhere), plus the ability to extend Wishlistmas to GoG, etc.
ah yes you did write that there; i actually just ADHDlebrained it
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:20 pm It took me an hour and a half to find a couple of under-$10 items. The days of the sub-$5 games are gone,
This. Half my wishlist is on sale for 60% or more off, and the prices are still in the mid $30's. It's crazy. There are a few indy titles that are in the teens, but that's it. AAA (or even AA or A) titles for 5 or 10 bucks haven't been a thing for years. Sure, maybe you can find one, occasionally, but not like in the past.

I simply don't want any games enough to pay 25 bucks for it. I still play video games every day, so it's not like I've lost interest in the hobby.

Anyway, carry on. :lol:
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I always get Steam gift cards at Christmas, there is usually 1 or 2 games I get myself and then I spent the balance here. I was disappointed to see Balder's Gate 3 only 10% off so that was still $55 I spent on my self and then another $24 on Masters of Magic, that burned through my Steam balance quickly. I noticed most of my wishlist was still expensive, but there were just enough DLC and cheaper games on there but it is getting harder to find even the sub $10 games.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Big thanks to Formix for sending "CHANTS OF SENNAAR" my way! 🌟 This isn't just a game; it's a journey into legend. The myth of Babel, reimagined? Count me in!
Enlarge Image
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Much appreciation to Isgrimnur for the Kansas DLC for American Truck Simulator. I look forward to running into a tornado and visiting Oz. Thank you!
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Thanks, Isgrimnur, for Far Cry 5 (now that my video card will actually run it).
I have but one advocate.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ooh, I'm going to follow the crowd!

Thanks to Isgrimnur for Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe.

I played the original years ago - eight or ten times. It's not the kind of game you play once, as it's a really short game designed with a gazillion different endings, and I have been thinking about revisiting it. It was the kind of light, funny, and fun game that's worth revisiting. The release of this (which supposedly adds considerable new content) bumped it up much higher on my list.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Sorry, been out of town for a couple of days and I need to give some Thank you's.

Thanks to Lassr for Strategic Mind: Fight for Freedom, to Formix for Chaos Hunters - Execution Force DLC, and Isgrimnur for Star Valor.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Its not over!!

A massive THANK YOU to both Isgrimnur and Suitably Ironic Moniker!

Isgrimnur, you nailed it with "Just Cause 3". My son and I are all about that open-world, explosion-packed action. It's the perfect game for us to dive into together (fingers crossed the language is family-friendly!). Can't wait to see his face light up with every boom and bang!

And "SurrounDead"? Man, you read my mind. I've been super curious about diving into an open-world survival game. Exploring, surviving, and overcoming challenges? Yes, please. Can't wait to test my mettle out there in the wild.

Suitably Ironic Moniker, you've outdone yourself with "Resident Evil Village". I'm gearing up for some serious scary time. The village awaits, and I'm ready to face whatever horrors it holds. Woo hoo, indeed! Scary game nights, here I come!

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Scoop20906 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:38 pm Isgrimnur, you nailed it with "Just Cause 3". My son and I are all about that open-world, explosion-packed action. It's the perfect game for us to dive into together (fingers crossed the language is family-friendly!). Can't wait to see his face light up with every boom and bang!
IMDB Parental Guide

I've definitely enjoyed the series.
Scoop20906 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:38 pm And "SurrounDead"? Man, you read my mind. I've been super curious about diving into an open-world survival game. Exploring, surviving, and overcoming challenges? Yes, please. Can't wait to test my mettle out there in the wild.
If that scratches your itch, there's 7 Days to Die as well. My wife has 6,180 hrs on record.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

my gaming interests tend towards the weird and retro, so there are plenty of sub $10 - and even sub $5 - titles i want.

thank you Isgrimnur for Disgaea 5 !
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And thank you to Grifman for Two Point Campus! I had fun with their previous game, and I've heard that this is more of the same.

And that means that I've received as much as I've given (plus one that was from someone not participating, and one that someone managed to give me a few hours later before I'd had a chance to claim the first copy - I still feel bad about that.) As much as I gave is more than enough for me, so I've cleared my public wishlist for this year. Thank you again to everyone.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wow this was the day to receive gifts I must say! 5 at once lol. Thank you all....Ive been wanting these for a while now. Look forward to playing them.

Also Grifman......thanks for gifting Everspace 2 but SIM already got me a copy.....I went by time of email as I went and accepted the games and when I got to your's at the top I already had got it from him. But thank you! Also Im not sure how to decline it with this new email only gift system. The old way had an accept or decline button. Do I let it sit there ? I want you to get your money back...do I accept and it will then say I got it already? I dont want to accept twice and you somehow lose your money.

EDIT: NM found I can still do it through notifications! But thank you!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:46 pm Wow this was the day to receive gifts I must say! 5 at once lol. Thank you all....Ive been wanting these for a while now. Look forward to playing them.

Also Grifman......thanks for gifting Everspace 2 but SIM already got me a copy.....I went by time of email as I went and accepted the games and when I got to your's at the top I already had got it from him. But thank you! Also Im not sure how to decline it with this new email only gift system. The old way had an accept or decline button. Do I let it sit there ? I want you to get your money back...do I accept and it will then say I got it already? I dont want to accept twice and you somehow lose your money.
Go to the Steam app. Click the bell icon at the top.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:45 pm
Scoop20906 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:38 pm Isgrimnur, you nailed it with "Just Cause 3". My son and I are all about that open-world, explosion-packed action. It's the perfect game for us to dive into together (fingers crossed the language is family-friendly!). Can't wait to see his face light up with every boom and bang!
IMDB Parental Guide

I've definitely enjoyed the series.
Profanity
Infrequent PG-level language
2 uses of f*ck in the game, one at the start and one about half way through
There is infrequent use of mild language. Such as 'damn' and its variations can be heard in the dialogue.
Hopefully my wife isn't around when those two f*ck come up. :oops:

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

"Effstarck? Did he just say effstarck? "
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

ah forgot to say thanks to scoop for Griftlands ! which i haven't had a chance to try since the computer has been monopolized by nephews.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Thanks to Jaddison for System Shock!
I have but one advocate.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:46 pm Wow this was the day to receive gifts I must say! 5 at once lol. Thank you all....Ive been wanting these for a while now. Look forward to playing them.

EDIT: NM found I can still do it through notifications! But thank you!
Try this!
Formix

Post by Formix »

Thanks isgrimnur for Startopia. I played the heck out of this back in the day, I'm looking forward to jumping back in!

And thanks to Battlefinch for Spelunky 2! It looked like a blast, but I never jumped in. That one's next on the list for sure!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Thank you Issy for the Stellaris DLC!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:horse:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thank you all for the wonderful wishmas. Got plenty of games to do me all year at my pace and look forward to playing them.

Thanks to....

scoop - void destroyer 2
lassr - expeditions vikings
jaddison80 - prodeus
isgrimnur - megaquarium
suitibly ironic moniker(grifman tried) - everspace 2
jetfred - vampyr + addon hunters heirlooms
grifman - dark envoy
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I guess we have about wound things down for this Christmas. I just want to thank everyone who participated, and wish everyone a Happy New Year!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ditto
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Surprises can happen...

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thank you Lassr for POE 2 Deadfire. I got real far into the first one and was loving it and got stuck....i think I ran into a difficulty wall that spiked up on me.

Now i dont know to go back and try to finish that one of jump into Deadfire and forget the first one. :)