Question about Steam game launch options

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Question about Steam game launch options

Post by jztemple2 »

I was just watching a video a guy posted about getting better frame rates in Ready or Not. Following some of the instructions in the video did help with my RoN fps issues. One thing I did, which honestly I'm not sure I understand, is add the following Steam launch options
-fps_max 0 |-no-singlethreaded -high -useallavailablecores
It doesn't appear to have hurt anything, but of course the other changes I made per the video, especially in the Nvidia Control Panel, might have been the main contributors to getting better fps. Regarding the Steam launch options, I found a reference to "-high", which helps to set the process priority of the game to high, but the others I couldn't find any reference to them. Any reason I shouldn't use those options? And what exactly does "-fps_max 0" do?

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Re: Question about Steam game launch options

Post by Blackhawk »

Those lines are usually defined by the game engine, not Steam.

I'd guess that the second half is telling it to make maximum use of the CPU. The first half may be telling it to disable a frame limiter (0 = off.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Re: Question about Steam game launch options

Post by Kasey Chang »

Ditto those are set by the game engine.

fps_max 0 basically tells the engine to ignore any default limit: do maximum frame rate, no more vsync

A little googling tells me that Ready or Not was using Unreal Engine 4. And let's just say, there are certain haters, with generalizations that "game is barely DX11 with half-(bleep) implementation of DX12".

You may be able to gain frames by turning off "decals" in the in-game advanced options. There's a whole steam topic about that mods had to lock due to immaturity.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds