New Heights: Realistic Climbing and Bouldering

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

New Heights: Realistic Climbing and Bouldering

Post by jztemple2 »

In my never ending quest to find games that no one else will ever be interested in, much less play :wink:, I bring you New Heights: Realistic Climbing and Bouldering

Taking a look at the product page will give you a better idea about the game than I can, but perhaps I'll mention that it looks like the below. You move your hands with the LMB and RMB, your feet with Shift+LMB and Shift+RMB. You move your body core with W and S to move up and down, A and D to move left and right, and Q and E to move away and towards the face of what you're climbing.

It works surprisingly well. There are little graphic indicators to show the quality and strength of the grips you have with each extremity. It is fairly intuitive. I've never done any climbing, except perhaps onto a soap box :wink:, but I figured things out pretty quickly in the learning area which takes about a half-hour. Then you are off to France to climb some rock faces and old castles.

I was looking for something to play that didn't take hours to learn or hours to get something out of it. This game is pretty fun and can be played in short chunks.

It is in Early Access (of course :roll:) but I've been following the development and there is already a lot of content there. Steam reviews have been very positive (it is a niche product of course) and so far I'm pleased.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Unagi

Re: New Heights: Realistic Climbing and Bouldering

Post by Unagi »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:39 pm In my never ending quest to find games that no one else will ever be interested in
fail
:)
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I wishlisted ot for now. Hopefully they come out with a demo eventually.
$20 is too steep for me for this type of game though and to take a chance buying it, I'd have to get ot for $5 which probably isn't going to happen in a long time.
Kind of why I want a demo. To see if it's something I'd play or if a demo would be enough.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Punisher wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:16 am I wishlisted ot for now. Hopefully they come out with a demo eventually.
$20 is too steep for me for this type of game though and to take a chance buying it, I'd have to get ot for $5 which probably isn't going to happen in a long time.
Kind of why I want a demo. To see if it's something I'd play or if a demo would be enough.
You can get it on Steam and play it for <2 hours, then refund if you want. Two hours is plenty of time to understand the game.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

My brother would be totally into this as he's done a lot of this in real life.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those wondering, here is the roadmap for the game from the devs:

Also, when the game was released into early access, they posted this on their product page:
Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

“For one year. We do not like infinite early access.”