The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Lived

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

naednek

The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Lived

Post by naednek »

This came on last night, and man it feels so much better than the last spinoffs and frankly the last few seasons. It feels more like a movie in terms of production style.

I enjoyed it, now that they found each other (not really a spoiler) I'm not sure where they are taking it. Kinda nice they didn't spend 6 episodes of the goal for unification.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Re: The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Lived

Post by hepcat »

I'll watch it. But I swear to God, if I see even ONE DAMN SIGN OF MORGAN OR ANYONE FROM FTWD, I WILL HIT YOU WITH SO MANY LEFTS YOU'LL BE BEGGING FOR A RIGHT!!!

I forced myself to watch the back half of the final season of FTWD over the course of like 3 months and I think I might have taken about 5 years off my life due to excessive exposure to unfiltered stupidity.
He won. Period.
naednek

Post by naednek »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:14 pm I'll watch it. But I swear to God, if I see even ONE DAMN SIGN OF MORGAN OR ANYONE FROM FTWD, I WILL HIT YOU WITH SO MANY LEFTS YOU'LL BE BEGGING FOR A RIGHT!!!

I forced myself to watch the back half of the final season of FTWD over the course of like 3 months and I think I might have taken about 5 years off my life due to excessive exposure to unfiltered stupidity.
I don't know if they explained it or will explain it, or that they had explained it in one of the spinoffs, but the zombies are now on fire. That's probably the only thing that made me question things. It didn't feel like they were going into whacky territory because they ran out of ideas.
Last edited by naednek on Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What I'd REALLY like to see is an offshoot where the zombies speak with british accents and fly stylish kites instead of eating the living.
He won. Period.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:35 pm What I'd REALLY like to see is an offshoot where the zombies speak with british accents and fly stylish kites instead of eating the living.
British, kite-flying zombie wrote:errhm. Skeins?
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Really enjoyed the first episode, I hope they can avoid what plaqued all the other TWD series. Great episode followed by mindless dribble crap.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If you look REALLY closely, in many of the scenes of The Ones Who Lived you can see Morgan trying to get onto set before security stops him.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I always wished in the early years of TWD that they'd encounter a zombie that had kept his intelligence for the most part..not totally but enough to not instantly try to eat you and could speak a bit. Thought that would be a great moral thing..do you kill him or let him live? Help him or what? Think for him it would be horrible and a good chance for a couple eps.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've got a movie for you

He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That actually looks good. Good choice of trailer song too with The Ramones.

EDIT: Damn it gets a 6.7 rating on IMDB...so its not just good its great.

AND its Billy Connolly??? Now its perfect.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:38 pm I always wished in the early years of TWD that they'd encounter a zombie that had kept his intelligence for the most part..not totally but enough to not instantly try to eat you and could speak a bit. Thought that would be a great moral thing..do you kill him or let him live? Help him or what? Think for him it would be horrible and a good chance for a couple eps.
The whole TWD season 1 (or was it 2?) "Zombies in the barn" plot was about the moral quandry of not wanting to kill zombies who had once been your friends and neighbors.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If only these people in zombies shows could find a way to make zombies taste good. They'd have an almost limitless easy to obtain food source :)
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:14 pm I'll watch it. But I swear to God, if I see even ONE DAMN SIGN OF MORGAN OR ANYONE FROM FTWD, I WILL HIT YOU WITH SO MANY LEFTS YOU'LL BE BEGGING FOR A RIGHT!!!

I'm assuming you didn't watch the last season of FTWD. If correct...
Spoiler:
IIRC, the final scene with Morgan in it specifically has him saying he's heading back towards Alexandria yo see Rick. I believe he left TWD before Rick went musding so he's in for a surprise when he gets there. I'm gonna assume the plan is to fit him in somewhere.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

naednek wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:10 pm

I don't know if they explained it or will explain it, or that they had explained it in one of the spinoffs, but the zombies are now on fire. That's probably the only thing that made me question things. It didn't feel like they were going into whacky territory because they ran out of ideas.
If you are referring to the spinoff wirh Daryl in France, I believe that those were specific to the French zombies and not all zombies in general. Also it wasn't fire bit acid blood. I'm assuming a french zombie mated with a xenomorph and it spiraled from there...those french I tell you...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I didn't like how zombies stuck around for years instead of rotting away in a year or so. I do recall that one zombie near the farm in TWD that was against a tree or something and was severely rotted. Yet still 'alive'
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:13 am I didn't like how zombies stuck around for years instead of rotting away in a year or so. I do recall that one zombie near the farm in TWD that was against a tree or something and was severely rotted. Yet still 'alive'
Magic!

I mean, if the zombies do nothing but shuffle around and attack people, they'll pretty quickly run out of calories to move their muscles with. Every zombie would need a new victim at least every few days to keep going. It's not like they're growing food.

Maybe they eat each other? But we never see that. And it would pretty thoroughly deplete the zombie population in just a few seasons.
Holman

Post by Holman »

This, by the way, is one of things that made 28 DAYS LATER so interesting. The "zombies" were just mindless rage machines, and they seemed never to bother about eating, not even their victims.
Spoiler:
In about two months, all of the zombies are dead or dying from starvation.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Plus if zombies are rotting..as you can see ribs and arm bones and such in some.. then surely their stomachs are rotted away. How do they eat and process anything? And what about zombies with no teeth..wtf do they do and how are they moving :P
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They don't eat for sustenance, they eat because it's a basic drive.
He won. Period.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:10 pm Plus if zombies are rotting..as you can see ribs and arm bones and such in some.. then surely their stomachs are rotted away. How do they eat and process anything? And what about zombies with no teeth..wtf do they do and how are they moving :P
It's been established that with most zombies they atent biting and eating as a source of food but more as a way to spread. You'll even see food fall put of holes in the belly in some cases.
Holman

Post by Holman »

But we're down to the basic question of "How do their bodies continue to work?" In TWD universe, there's really no explanation other than unacknowledged magic.

A huge number of biological systems are required for a human body just to keep moving. There's no motion without muscles, no muscles without respiration, no respiration without nutrition, no nutrition without digestion, etc. etc. (And this doesn't even consider the degree to which exposed organs and muscles would fall victim to opportunistic infections and diseases ready to exploit them for their own microbial purposes.)

Yeah, magic.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If anyone has Shudder or AMC + and hasn't watched The Ones Who Lived, The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs is hosting a showing of it tonight at 9pm eastern.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Holman wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:23 pm But we're down to the basic question of "How do their bodies continue to work?" In TWD universe, there's really no explanation other than unacknowledged magic.

A huge number of biological systems are required for a human body just to keep moving. There's no motion without muscles, no muscles without respiration, no respiration without nutrition, no nutrition without digestion, etc. etc. (And this doesn't even consider the degree to which exposed organs and muscles would fall victim to opportunistic infections and diseases ready to exploit them for their own microbial purposes.)

Yeah, magic.
Must be magic also that no other species got infected not even chimps and such.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Or it could just be fictional...
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yup, magic. Various writers have tried to rationalize zombie metabolism, but they're inherently irrational. I liked iZombie's take, where zombies that feed regularly are almost indistinguishable from living humans, but if their access to brains is interrupted they gradually deteriorate into Romeros. After a certain point, there's no coming back from that.

Wife is game to give this new WD show a shot. We'll start watching it next week, even though neither of us is excited about it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Forgot about iZombie. I liked that show.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Screw the Rick and Michonne story. I want an entire show starring Nat. Now THAT was a fun character in an otherwise gloomy show.
He won. Period.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

hepcat wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:19 pm Screw the Rick and Michonne story. I want an entire show starring Nat. Now THAT was a fun character in an otherwise gloomy show.
Wife and I were very disappointing with
Spoiler:
his demise
. That actor did a fantastic job in bringing some explosive energy to his character!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, he stood out more than any other character on that show in recent memory.
Spoiler:
I would kill for a spin off featuring tales of Nat surviving in the world before they stupidly killed him off.
He won. Period.