How long will cpu coolers work before fail or leaking?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

UsulofDoom

How long will cpu coolers work before fail or leaking?

Post by UsulofDoom »

I have a DEEPCOOL Captain 120EX 120mm Liquid CPU Cooling System cooler that is in my PC built in 2017. Is it a ticking time bomb? Would the pump fail before leaking? Should liquid cpu cooler be replaced after a certain number of years?

I also have a older cpu from 2011 that i'm using for work now since I retired my laptop. Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator. Should I replace with air cooled?
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Daehawk

Re: How long will cpu coolers work before fail or leaking?

Post by Daehawk »

Have no idea as Ive never looked into water coolers much. Im an air cooler user..a fan heheh I do like one or two of the water cool ones. So ya never know I may switch next time.

I have a Thermaltake SpinQ air cooler that Ive been using 13 years and still spinning...and lit up too.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The liquid coolers generally don't leak, but the impeller (pump) may fail after a couple years. My cheap one from Ibuypower quit and I had to replace it with a CM all-in-one.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:20 am The liquid coolers generally don't leak, but the impeller (pump) may fail after a couple years. My cheap one from Ibuypower quit and I had to replace it with a CM all-in-one.
"Cheap" one being the operative phrase ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Montag

Post by Montag »

If the coolant is inhibited - see your car coolant, it should easily go 10 years without causing any corrosion issues. Your hoses are in enclosed space and wont see UV light so they should not get hard and brittle. As you pointed out, the pump and fans on the air cooler are the weakest link.

The real question - is what does the water cooling get you? Are you overclocking? What does that 5% increase do for you - does it matter?
words