Organ donation - a few stats

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Organ donation - a few stats

Post by Daehawk »

I had no idea such a low percentage of organ donors were actually used as donors at death.

Page with info...
https://www.life-source.org/latest/is-o ... tion-rare/

Donation is rare in that only 1% of registered donors become eligible.
The opportunity to be an organ donor is unique because only a specific combination of circumstances will allow a person to donate. For someone to become an organ donor after they’ve passed away, they must:

Experience brain death or a Non-survivable injury
Pass away in a hospital on ventilated support

That’s it. These things must happen in order for a person to be able to be an organ donor (criteria for tissue and eye donation is not the same)
Donation by the Numbers

In the United States about 2,800,000 people pass away each year and about 715,000 of those passes in a hospital. Of those passing away in a hospital, only 150,000 are on ventilated support and only 16,000 of those are medically eligible to donate and only about 10,000 of those people actually become donors.
I thought if you were a donor your organs were used..unless cancer or some other disease. i thought like a heart attack death then other organs would be used. but nope. Such a waste.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Organ donation - a few stats

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Because without those specific circumstances, it's unlikely that the organs will be viable. The resources needed to harvest and stabilize organs are extensive so you're not going to expend them on organs you probably won't be able to use.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I will also just add that not everything you put in your recycling bin ends up being recycled.
MHS

Post by MHS »

There's a reason 17 people die every day waiting for an organ transplant. And people also don't understand that an organ transplant doesn't last a lifetime (well, technically I guess if you don't get another transplant, it does), and that cadaver organs don't last nearly as long as living donor organs. The average life of a cadaver kidney transplant is 15 years, while a living donor kidney will typically last at least 25-30 years.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It'll also be a great day when they figure out how to change the DNA to match the recipients DNA and have no rejection or medicines or having to suppress your own immune system.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
MHS

Post by MHS »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:43 pm It'll also be a great day when they figure out how to change the DNA to match the recipients DNA and have no rejection or medicines or having to suppress your own immune system.
It's possible now. If they take bone marrow from the donor for the organ recipient pre-transplant, there have been some successful transplants requiring no immunosuppressants, and UCLA has done at least one that worked post-transplant. My donor has already said she'll donate bone marrow for me if it gets sophisticated enough to work this far out after transplant. I'd be all over it since the transplant works perfectly but I definitely have a lot of side effects from the immune meds.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Did anyone else read the title as: a few strats? Somehow I'm glad it's not that.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter