Outcast Sequel: 25 Years Later

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Rumpy

Outcast Sequel: 25 Years Later

Post by Rumpy »

So, apparently a sequel to the 2009 Outcast is a thing! I've had it on my wishlist on GOG for a while now and today got the email that it's out. Yet it still feels like it came out of nowhere.

I originally watched my brother play the original game when it first came out, and it was really quite something to behold. For a long time, it had the best water physics, and there still wasn't quite anything like the world design years later. The original devs managed to get the rights back a few years ago and re-released it on Steam as version 1.1, then released a complete remake. And now, they've released a sequel. It almost feels unreal after more than one attempt to get a sequel in development. Kind of getting an Avatar vibe from this sequel. Looks epic as heck.

Here's a great overview and history of the original game:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Outcast Sequel: 25 Years Later

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:47 pm So, apparently a sequel to the 2009 Outcast is a thing!
There was a 2009 Outcast? I missed that. I remember a remaster of the original (late 90s game) maybe 10 years ago.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sorry, I meant the 1999 game. Due to the recent remake, it kind of muddled the timeline a bit. The remaster of the original game was the one you're remembering. The remake, aka Second Contact, came out in 2017. That was a complete remake of the original game in a new engine.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Yeah, that's it. I knew it was in the 90s because I remember playing it in our old place. Good game from what I remember. Glad to hear I didn't miss a newer one.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT