YK's UPDATED Rolling Stones Top 500 Albums Challenge

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

YellowKing

YK's UPDATED Rolling Stones Top 500 Albums Challenge

Post by YellowKing »

Way back in 2015 I started (and eventually finished) a challenge to listen to all 500 of Rolling Stone magazine's Top 500 Albums of All Time list, and give my thoughts on each. You can view the original thread right here. The purpose of this challenge was not necessarily to question Rolling Stone's selections - we all know top lists are subjective. But I did think it would be a fun way to discover albums and artists I might otherwise have skipped completely. It was a wonderful experiment and introduced me to a lot of artists and albums that I still listen to regularly today.

A lot has changed in the 8+ years since I did that project, however. For starters, the pandemic changed my life completely. Working from home, I tended to listen to much more music than ever before. This led to me getting back into becoming a serious vinyl collector, and my albums ballooned from around 5 in 2021 to nearly 400 today.

Then a couple of years ago I started listening to Vinyl Junkies, a Twitch streamer who owns 10,000+ albums and streams a radio show. The guy has been collecting for 50 years and is one of the most knowledgeable music nerds I've ever seen. Let me tell you, hanging out with that guy weekly for two years gave me a baptism in discovering new music. It literally changed my tastes. And hanging out with fellow music nerds in the chat expanded my love of music in ways I couldn't imagine.

Looking back at my notes on the old challenge, it was sometimes embarrassing how little I knew. Why the hell was I making fun of Kraftwerk, a band I now absolutely adore? I went from love-hate of Bruce Springsteen to mostly love, thanks to collecting his back catalog on vinyl. Perhaps the biggest change was that when I did the challenge, I was very much a complete jazz novice. I became a complete jazz lover in the ensuing years, going WAY beyond the safe traditional jazz I enjoyed back then to getting into avant-garde and fusion stuff I never would have touched back then. Nearly 1/4 of my vinyl collection is jazz these days. Some things didn't change - I still don't like Elvis Costello or The Who. :D

So when I found out Rolling Stone updated their list of 500 albums this past December, I decided it was time to update my project. Now I know what you're thinking: "But YK, you didn't finish your Classic Rock Project!" Yeah, I know. I got burned out on it. It was too many of the same bands over and over (which was kind of the point, but at the time I didn't realize how tedious it would become). The Rolling Stone project at least forced variety, and I think it's why I was able to stick with it for the long haul.

Now, obviously I'm not going to go through all 500 albums again. However, I am going to listen to all the NEW albums that made the list, of which it's a quite sizeable chunk. For repeats from the previous 2012 list, I'll mention whether they moved up or down in the list in 2023. It's going to take me a little time to sift and compare the lists, but I love this kind of thing so I'm going to do it whether anyone reads it or not. :D

From my first glance, it seems this is quite a large update. They added a lot of more contemporary artists, which I'm sure is going to cause some consternation. In some cases they swapped the lone representative album of a certain artist with another one from their discography. And they seemed to go a little broader outside of western nations and explore more world music. I'm excited to dive into some of these, whether or not their place on the list feels warranted or not.
Jaymann

Re: YK's UPDATED Rolling Stones Top 500 Albums Challenge

Post by Jaymann »

I have one question - is there any Roy Buchanan on the list?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

:pop:
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:29 pm I have one question - is there any Roy Buchanan on the list?
I love Roy Buchanan, but I don't see his stuff as the kind to make a Rolling Stone top 500 album list. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:19 pm Way back in 2015 I started (and eventually finished) a challenge to listen to all 500 of Rolling Stone magazine's Top 500 Albums of All Time list, and give my thoughts on each. You can view the original thread right here. The purpose of this challenge was not necessarily to question Rolling Stone's selections - we all know top lists are subjective. But I did think it would be a fun way to discover albums and artists I might otherwise have skipped completely. It was a wonderful experiment and introduced me to a lot of artists and albums that I still listen to regularly today.
Link to list of changes/additions?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Pyperkub wrote:Link to list of changes/additions?
There isn't a good one that I've been able to find. So I'm doing the leg work myself of comparing the 2023 list to the 2012 list.

Note, there was a big revision in 2020 as well. But since I was originally working off the 2012 list, that's the one I'm going to compare the 2023 list to.

I'll do these in batches of 10, noting which albums moved up, which moved down, and reviewing any new albums.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I took a look at the new list here:

I think I'm definitely deep into my Hey you kids, get off my lawn! phase.

From the 80's onward, pop/hip-hop and rap (since the early 90's) bounce off of me for the most part. I still adore punk/pop-punk stuff, so all the drake/beyonce/kanye/jay-z stuff updates to the list mostly bounce off of me (as does a lot of today's pop music, I've gravitated towards different areas as I've gotten older, even tho I still hunt up new bands. Of course, I also disagree with some of the older choices too. There's a weird mix between experimental stuff which didn't click with me, and popular stuff. E.g. Some of Joni Mitchell's jazz experiments I completely bounced off of, but I love a bunch of her other albums.

Heck! I even can appreciate the #1 album, but it wouldn't be anywhere in my top 50. I can listen to a song or two off of it before just tiring of it.

Get off my lawn! ;)

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

For the first entry, let's take a look at the albums that dropped off the list. When you see this, your initial reaction may be confusion at some of these classics getting cut. But honestly I wasn't that upset about most of these after analyzing the new list.

A little background - After the initial list came out (I think in 2003), there was some pushback that it was far too white male dominated. So over the ensuing years, Rolling Stone has tried to include a more diverse panel of judges (the results come from a survey that is sent out to over 300 industry personnel). This culminated in a pretty drastic overhaul of the survey in 2020.

From what I could tell, a lot of the cuts made sense. A lot of compilations got cut, which I think should have never been on there in the first place. Often artists were just over-represented, so the new list cuts 4 or 5 albums down to 1 or 2 that represent the best of the best of their work. Some artists had multiple live albums; extras of these tended to be cut. Some artists were really of their time, and probably felt more relevant in 2012 than in 2023. In other cases, an artist's album on the 2012 list was simply swapped for another, better album that came out later.

That said, there were still some head scratchers. And the blues absolutely got gutted for the new list - tons of great blues albums got whittled away.

The number next to the album is the position on the list in 2012. All of these albums failed to make the new list in 2023.

R.I.P. to these albums:

499. B.B. King - Live in Cook County Jail
497. The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
496. Boz Scaggs - Boz Scaggs
495. Bonnie Raitt - Give It Up
494. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
492. Eurythmics - Touch
491. Albert King - Born Under a Bad Sign
490. ZZ Top - Tres Hombres
489. KISS - Destroyer
485. Pearl Jam - Vitalogy
484. Mott the Hoople - All the Young Dudes
482. Steve Earle - Guitar Town
478. Loretta Lynn - All Time Greatest Hits
475. Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Armed Forces
474. Manu Chao - Proxima Estacion: Esperanza
473. The Smiths - The Smiths
470. LL Cool J - Radio
468. The Paul Butterfield Blues Band - The Paul Butterfield Blues Band
467. Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love
464. Def Leppard - Hysteria
463. Echo and the Bunnymen - Heaven Up Here
462. R.E.M. - Document
461. Public Image Ltd. - Metal Box
459. The Drifters - Golden Hits
458. Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection
457. My Morning Jacket - Z
454. Alice Cooper - Love It to Death
453. EPMD - Strictly Business
450. Jackson Browne - For Everyman
447. Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto
446. MC5 - Back in the USA
445. Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle
444. War - The World is a Ghetto
443. Cheap Trick - In Color
440. The Pogues - Rum Sodomy and The Lash
438. The Cure - Boys Don't Cry
436. Beck - Sea Change
430. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
428. The Police - Outlandos D'Amour
427. Peter Wolf - Sleepless
426. Cheap Trick - At Budokan
425. Gram Parsons - Grievous Angel
424. Bruce Springsteen - The Rising
421. Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2
420. Buddy Holly and the Crickets - The "Chirping" Crickets
418. Paul McCartney & Wings - Band on the Run
417. U2 - Boy
416. Tom Waits - Mule Variations
411. Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard
410. Bob Dylan - Time Out of Mind
409. The Doors - Strange Days
404. Dr. John - Dr. John's Gumbo
398. ZZ Top - Eliminator
396. Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure
394. Randy Newman - Good Old Boys
393. M.I.A. - Kala
391. Jackson Browne - The Pretender
389. Don Henley - The End of the Innocence
386. Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic
384. The Who - A Quick One
377. John Lee Hooker - The Ultimate Collection (1948-1990)
375. Jackson Browne - Late for the Sky
374. Roxy Music - Siren
373. Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers
372. The Police - Reggatta de Blanc
371. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
370. Mott the Hoople
369. The Smiths - Louder Than Bombs
366. Johnny Cash - American Recordings
364. The Doors - L.A. Woman
363. New Order - Substance
358. Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
357. The Rolling Stones - Between the Buttons
356. Randy Newman - 12 Songs
355. The Yardbirds - Having a Rave Up With the Yardbirds
354. Billy Joel - 52nd Street
350. The Yardbirds - Roger the Engineer (a.k.a. Over Under Sideways Down)
348. Muddy Waters - At Newport 1960
345. Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
344. Lou Reed - Berlin
343. Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell
341. Moby - Play
339. Tom Waits - The Heart of Saturday Night
337. Jethro Tull - Aqualung
335. Soundgarden - Superunknown
334. Graham Parker - Squeezing Out Sparks
333. X - Wild Gift
332. Richard and Linda Thompson - Shoot Out the Lights
329. James Brown - In the Jungle Groove
325. Eric Clapton - Slowhand
323. The Police - Ghost in the Machine
320. Radiohead - Amnesiac
319. The Wailers - Burnin'
318. The O'Jays - Back Stabbers
312. Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
311. Various Artists - The Sun Records Collection
308. Frank Sinatra - Songs for Swingin' Lovers
297. The Mothers of Invention - We're Only In It For the Money
296. The Smiths - Meat is Murder
295. Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate
291. Talking Heads - Talking Heads '77
288. Grateful Dead - Anthem of the Sun
286. Al Green - I'm Still In Love With You
283. Barry White - Can't Get Enough
282. Muddy Waters - Folk Singer
280. U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind
279. David Bowie - Aladdin Sane
278. Harry Smith Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music
274. Labelle - Nightbirds
271. The Beach Boys - The Beach Boys Today!
269. The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy
267. The Who - Quadrophenia
266. Blood, Sweat and Tears - Child is Father to the Man
265. Ray Charles - The Genius of Ray Charles
260. Willie Nelson - Stardust
253. Bruce Springsteen - The River
247. The Grateful Dead - Live Dead
246. The Mothers of Invention - Freak Out!
238. Howlin' Wolf - Howlin' Wolf
237. The Who - The Who Sings My Generation
236. Jackie Wilson - Mr. Excitement
234. Simon and Garfunkel - Bookends
232. The Kinks - The Kink Kronikles
229. Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic
224. Neil Diamond - The Neil Diamond Collection
223. U2 - War
222. Professor Longhair - New Orleans Piano
217. Bobby Bland - Two Steps From the Blues
213. The Rolling Stones - Tattoo You
205. Cream - Wheels of Fire
204. Bob Dylan - Modern Times
202. Simon and Garfunkel - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme
200. AC/DC - Highway to Hell
198. Little Walter - The Best of Little Walter
195. John Mayall with Eric Clapton - Blues Breakers
189. Quicksilver Messenger Service - Happy Trails
188. Buffalo Springfield - Buffalo Springfield Again
186. Sly and the Family Stone - Fresh
182. Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac
181. Bob Marley and the Wailers - Natty Dread
180. The Rolling Stones - The Rolling Stones, Now!
178. Curtis Mayfield and The Impressions - The Anthology 1961-1977
175. The Carpenters - Close to You
174. Bob Dylan - Desire
171. The Byrds - The Notorious Byrd Brothers
168. Elvis Costello - My Aim is True
166. Elvis Costello and the Attractions - Imperial Bedroom
164. Linda Ronstadt - The Very Best of Linda Ronstadt
161. Otis Redding - The Dock of the Bay
158. Elton John - Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy
149. Santana - Santana
142. Phil Spector - A Christmas Gift for You
139. The Meters - Rejuvenation
137. The Replacements - Tim
136. Elton John - Greatest Hits
128. Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power
127. The Byrds - Younger Than Yesterday
124. Moby Grape - Moby Grape
116. The Rolling Stones - Out of Our Heads
114. Cream - Disraeli Gears
112. The Mamas and the Papas - If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears
109. The Rolling Stones - Aftermath
102. Cream - Fresh Cream
60. Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica
59. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Chronicle Vol. 1
46. Bob Marley and the Wailers - Legend
39. The Beatles - Please Please Me
22. Robert Johnson - The Complete Recordings
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

A few surprises there:

Fleetwood Mac
My Aim is True
Disralei Gears
Last edited by Jaymann on Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Yeah, definitely done head scratchers in that list. Also a lot which could easily be yanked.

Early U2 albums tho? Wow. Some of their best stuff, IMHO. Ditto the Police purge and early Elvis Costello , tho that could easily be my youth talking.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I expect that most of the familiar albums that were yanked will be replaced by music I've never heard form artists I've never heard of, but that's just me being old. For example I've never heard a Taylor Swift song that I know of, unless it was in the background somewhere in public. But at least I've heard of her. :lol:
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

As mentioned, I won't be rehashing albums I originally covered. If you want to see my (old) thoughts on those, you can refer to the original thread linked in the first post. So without further ado:

500-491

500. Arcade Fire - Funeral - Drops from #151

499. Rufus, Chaka Khan - Ask Rufus - I've never been much into this kind of music (though I am a big fan of 70s music in general). Despite not being something I'd normally pick up, this was a really entertaining listen. I particularly enjoyed "Hollywood" which was the perfect blend of funk and Chaka Khan's smooth vocals. I feel like this one could grow on me.

498. Suicide - Suicide - Drops from #441

497. Various Artists - The Indestructible Beat of Soweto - Drops from #388.

496. Shakira - Donde Estan los Ladrones - This is Shakira's 4th studio album. I've never been into Shakira - by the time I even heard of her she had already been parodied in so many things that I don't think I could really take her seriously. Her Kermit-esque voice just doesn't do anything for me. That said, this album was fine. I actually did like the slower ballads such as "Moscas en la Casa" and "Tu."

495. Boyz II Men - II - I remember when Boyz II Men were literally everywhere. You could not escape them. Shortly after this album came out I was attending NC State University, and the guys next door who fancied themselves "ladies' men" had this shit on repeat 24/7. Their room constantly sounded like Barry White's Love Den. I never saw any ladies over there though, so not sure it worked as well as they hoped. Despite the oversaturation on the radio, however, I never remember disliking the group. They had their lane and they were damn good at driving in it, which I could respect even if I wasn't the target audience. Their harmonies were pure brilliance.

This album had a few big singles including the massive "I'll Make Love to You," "On Bended Knee," and "Water Runs Dry."

494. The Ronettes - Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes - Drops from #422

493. Marvin Gaye - Here, My Dear - Drops from #456

492. Bonnie Raitt - Nick of Time - Drops from #230

491. Harry Styles - Harry's House - OK, I have a confession. I'm a big Harry Styles fan. I had zero interest in One Direction, but when he went solo I thought his first album was fantastic. Primarily because I really loved his 70s music influences which he wore proudly on his sleeve. I remember hearing "Sign of the Times" for the first time on an episode of America's Got Talent, and I became obsessed with it. I've been a fan ever since. My daughter, the Swiftie, continuously gives me hell about "my boy" and always points out any magazine with him on the cover as if I'm going to fawn over it like a 14-year old girl. But hey, even The Beatles were teeny-bopper boy band members at one time.

Harry has a great knack of taking musical styles and genres and blending them into modern pop. Harry's House was particularly appealing to me due to the heavy Japanese city-pop influence, a genre I started diving into increasingly more over the past couple of years. This is a fantastic album and I'm not ashamed to admit it. However, if you say there's no way it should be on this list over Billy Joel's 52nd Street, I'm not going to argue with you.
Last edited by YellowKing on Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:41 pm
R.I.P. to these albums:

473. The Smiths - The Smiths
462. R.E.M. - Document
369. The Smiths - Louder Than Bombs
345. Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
296. The Smiths - Meat is Murder
223. U2 - War
137. The Replacements - Tim
Wow, really weeding out the 80s alternative from their list. I'm curious to see what replaces it - so far it's Boys II Men and Harry Styles. :roll:
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I feel like this iteration of the list is going to be HIGHLY controversial. There are some albums on here that I'm just completely baffled made the list over classics that have endured for decades. Boyz II Men definitely being one of them.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:23 pm Early U2 albums tho? Wow. Some of their best stuff, IMHO. Ditto the Police purge and early Elvis Costello , tho that could easily be my youth talking.
Yeah, those three in particular caused my eyebrows to go up

All of those are still regular listens for me.
Conform or be cast out!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:37 am
500. Arcade Fire - Funeral - Drops from #151

which just goes to show one how silly and ephemeral these lists are (and #500 is 'we've just got to keep this on the list sOmEhOw')
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

60. Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica
i don't understand how this goes from #60 to 'persona non grata' lol

(i am guessing the Capt. no longer makes an appearance at all in the new top 500)

a lot of these excisions just sounds like the aging out of the Rolling Stone editorial board (and a few trendy inclusions of the time finally cut - who's going to miss freakin' Vampire Weekend), but the near complete erasure of the blues from the list is kinda disturbing. did Robert Johnson also get completely cut? (#22 to out of the list) the blues not having been anywhere near a popular genre for many years by this point seems like it was merely an easy decision for the list-makers to agree upon excluding, which seems _extremely hypocritical_ - not to mention ironic - given the reasoning for the new additions...
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah Robert Johnson and the good Captain got the permanent boot. I was really surprised at the blues purge. I mean, I can understand that Rolling Stone is primarily a rock publication, so I wouldn't necessarily even raise an eyebrow at them not including a lot of jazz or country. But they're the ones that set the precedent in the original list to include other genres. If you're going to set the precedent that the blues are important enough to warrant multiple inclusions on the list, a wholesale purge is really shocking.

We do have to keep in mind that 2020 is when the list received its first major overhaul, with an entirely new survey. So what we're seeing is not only an overhaul, but a 3-year revision to the overhaul. So the comparison is going to be even more jarring than if we had compared 2012 to 2020. New batch incoming...
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

490-481

490. Linda Ronstadt - Heart Like a Wheel - The first time I ever remember Linda Ronstadt was her singing "Blue Bayou" on The Muppet Show. I think at that young age I was probably a bit smitten. However, that remained really the *only* memory of her for decades. Despite delving into tons of 70s singers of both genders, I just never got into any of her stuff.

So I was actually looking forward to checking this album out. This is her fifth album and widely regarded as her best. The album starts out with the huge hit "You're No Good," which proves Linda had mastered the country-pop crossover long before Taylor Swift. The other big hit is "When Will I Be Loved." The last track is a cover of James Taylor's "You Can Close Your Eyes." That song just breaks me as it was the first song that came on randomly after the day I had to put my two cats down.

This album was fine, and I'm glad her vast body of work is at least recognized on the list. It didn't really make me eager to seek out more of her discography though.

489. Phil Spector and Various Artists - Back to Mono (1958-1969) - Dropped from #65

488. The Stooges - The Stooges - Dropped from #185

487. Black Flag - Damaged - Dropped from #340

486. John Mayer - Continuum - I wouldn't say I was a John Mayer "fan" when this album came out, but I really liked it and listened to it a lot. Over the years, however, as allegations against him came out about his general treatment towards women I soured him on and never went back to another album. Now as a parent of a Swiftie I'm contractually obligated to hate him since he is an ex and dated her with a questionable age gap.

That said, I tried to go into this album listen without bias and with fresh ears. "Waiting on the World to Change" and "Gravity" are good songs, they just suffered from excessive radio play. I actually like some of the less popular songs on this album better.

Still, as open-minded as I tried to be, I couldn't go back to really loving this album. It's of another time and place, in an era after marriage and before kids. It seems so distant and alien now, and while I have good memories of those years, this album was not a formative part of those memories. In fact, the last time I remember listening to this album in its entirety was when I was cleaning out my garage. Hardly a milestone moment. To my ears it now just seems like a dated relic.

485. Richard and Linda Thompson - I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight - Dropped from #471

484. Lady Gaga - Born This Way - I'm a big Lady Gaga fan. Sure, I thought her crazy persona and meat dresses were a bit over the top back in the day, but at the same time I recognized her knack for putting out really catchy and unique pop anthems. My love for her only deepened over time as she dropped the theatrics and just showcased her raw talent.

Like everyone else I immediately recognized the lead single "Born This Way" as a direct clone of Madonna's "Express Yourself," but Gaga's too musically knowledgeable to have not done it on purpose. I always viewed the track as homage, not theft, and apparently critics and fans agreed. It's kind of funny that I like her stuff so much because I'm about as far removed from "club kid" as you could possibly get. But the whole horror/drag/club scene I find fascinating.

I don't have her early albums on vinyl but I do have Chromatica and it gets a lot of play when I just need some upbeat background music. I'd say really all of her albums to me are not about sitting down and listening to lyrics. They're more just a "vibe" you can put on and turn your thoughts off. Let me tell you, I can CLEAN SOME DAMN HOUSE when I got my Gaga on. I need to get this one because it is full of bangers.

483. Muddy Waters - The Anthology - Dropped from #38

482. The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde - This is a great album that I listened to quite a bit back in the day. I went through a brief rap/hip-hop phase in 1992-1993, and listened to a lot of both east and west coast (never really had a preference). However I did tend to gravitate towards the more lighthearted melodic groups like De La Soul, Pharcyde, Arrested Development, Digable Planets, etc.

This album has a great sense of humor. Like De La Soul's 3 Feet High and Rising that I picked up again recently, it still holds up. Personally I'd easily have put 3 Feet High and Rising on the list over this album, but I'm not disappointed with this one being included.

481. Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister - You all probably get tired of hearing about my "phases" but they were constantly evolving. So yes, I had my college indie rock phase (which, to some extent, I never really grew out of). While I wasn't a major Belle and Sebastian fan in terms of listening to all their stuff, I did spin this album regularly.

I think I first found out about this band because their name was taken from a children's book/cartoon series that I watched a lot as a kid. It's not a great surprise that I liked their sound - it's very reminiscent of soft 60s/70s artists like Nick Drake. Also no surprise that I got into similar mellow indie bands that came in the wake of B&S's success, like The Shins.

Personally I prefer The Boy With the Arab Strap over this album, but that's primarily because it was my first exposure to the band and I wore that album out. I only went back to this one afterward, so I was never as familiar with it as Arab Strap. Incidentally while researching the band I found out that an Arab Strap is a device used to maintain an erection, and now I wish I could unlearn the fact that an album I really enjoy is referring to a boy trying to keep his pecker up. Dammit.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:24 pm
483. Muddy Waters - The Anthology - Dropped from #38
more arbitrary ridiculousness

(i'm keeping up with this thread just for some music discussion, rather than hanging out on the Steve Hoffman Music Corner forums daily)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Haven't let this one drop, the next batch just had a lot of new-to-the-list albums I had to go through including a double LP.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Albums 480-471

480 - Miranda Lambert - The Weight of These Wings - I don't listen to a lot of modern country, and by modern I mean anything released in the last 25 years. I tend to bounce between really old country like Johnny Cash and Loretta Lynn, or 80s/90s country (which I guess nowadays also counts as "really old"). There are exceptions, of course. My wife and I are big Chris Stapleton fans, and I love acts like Kacey Musgraves, Jason Isbell, Tyler Childers, etc.

I've never really liked Miranda Lambert, because quite frankly she always just came off as kind of a bitch. I don't know if that's fair or not, but given her recent behavior where she stopped a show because fans were taking selfies, it kind of reinforced my perception. Even Blake Shelton dumped her ass (though in all fairness, Blake Shelton has also always come off as kind of a bitch).

This was Miranda's sixth studio album, a big old double one so I had the "pleasure" of listening to her sing for 90 minutes. To me it just sounded like an hour and a half of generic modern "sassy country gal" music. I don't know why you'd put this bland music on here and leave off Kacey Musgraves' brilliant Golden Hour, which is by far a more creative and interesting album. Hell, I would put ANY Kacey Musgraves album up against this. Just throw a dart and pick one at random. Or a Brandi Carlisle record. Jesus, I'm not even that big a country fan and I could still come up with 20 albums I'd rather see in place of this one. It's not a "bad" album, I even like the big song "Tin Man." I just don't understand why it's a Top 500 album. Also some of the songs on this album were horribly mixed.

479 - Selena - Amor Prohibido - I knew this one would be hard for me to judge because if there's any musical genre I probably know the least amount (outside of maybe yodeling or polka music), it's probably latin. However, I dived right in to see what all the fuss was about.

I did like her Spanish-language cover of The Pretenders "Back on the Chain Gang," "Fotos Y Recuerdos." Then she started stringing together some bangers. I didn't understand a word but it was really upbeat and happy. No complaints, this album felt a little dated but still a lot of fun.

478 - The Kinks - Something Else By The Kinks - Dropped from #289

477 - Howlin' Wolf - Moanin' in the Moonlight - Dropped from #154

476 - Sparks - Kimono My House - My first reaction was....WHO? I had never heard of these guys, but the 1974 date on this album piqued my interest. Apparently I'm an idiot that has been living under a rock all my life. This album is quirky as hell. Sparks is an American duo out of Los Angeles but (at least this album) has a distinctly European flavor - in fact I didn't realize until a couple of songs in that they were actually singing in English. It's all very Eurovision.

Kind of bummed I had never heard of them. The music is really interesting, and I love this kind of offbeat stuff. There's a great sense of humor with titles like, "Thank God It's Not Christmas" and "Barbecutie," but it doesn't feel like self-parody. I saw a description of this album as "glam rock with elements of bubblegum pop and baroque music" and that's as good a way to describe it as any. The closest artist I came up with in trying to compare them was Mika of "Grace Kelly" fame - he has that same glam rock mixed with bubblegum melodies thing going on.

Running across stuff like this is exactly why I do these challenges. If I saw this in the record store I'd absolutely pick it up without a second thought. It's weird and wonderful, and now I'm curious to seek out more of their stuff because they've obviously transitioned through various styles throughout their 50 year career. Heck, I even stumbled across a straight up banger song they did about a lawnmower. I'm an instant fan.

475 - Sheryl Crow - Sheryl Crow - I've never been a big Sheryl Crow fan, but I didn't necessariliy have anything against her. The singles that hit the radio were pleasant enough, even if I found her lyrics sometimes trying too hard to be clever.

She hit it big with her debut album Tuesday Night Music Club and the massive hit "All I Wanna Do," but this sophomore follow-up really cemented her fame with big hit singles like "A Change Would Do You Good," "If It Makes You Happy," and "Everyday is a Winding Road."

This album's fine, there are some good tracks besides the hits, my favorite being "Home." But still there's something that annoys me about her songwriting/delivery that I can't put my finger on. This album actually made me dislike her more than I did going in, which was a suprising turn of events.

474 - Big Star - #1 Record - Dropped from #434

473 - Daddy Yankee - Barrio Fino - I was not looking forward to this one. Not because I didn't think I'd like it, but because I knew it would be very difficult for me to comment on it as I have no point of comparison. If there's anything I know less about than Latin music (see Selena above), it's probably Puerto Rican rap.

This album is....uh..... a lot of Puerto Rican rap. I don't really know how to judge it because I don't listen to this music. Like a lot of Latin music it just sounds like a big fun party. Nothing wrong with that!

472 - SZA - Ctrl - I had not even heard of SZA until this year's Grammy awards and saw her perform. Apparently she's a big deal but definitely outside of my music circle.

I remember during the Grammys there was a bit of uproar about SZA not winning more albums of the year over people like Taylor Swift. After listening to this album, I'd say if you want to win album of the year try having a single song that is clean enough to put on the radio. I'm no prude, but every track on this album is explicit, and the majority of them are talking about her vagina. You didn't win an award for singing about your genitals for 49 minutes? What the fuck did you expect?

Musically it was fine, nothing special. But I'm not the target audience for this so hard for me to judge. If anything, this album told me this project, at least in this early going, is going to be a SLOG. And let me remind you, they ranked this over Big Star and the Kinks. It's enough to make me want to quit. But I must carry on.

471 - Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow - Dropped from #146
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:34 am
476 - Sparks - Kimono My House - My first reaction was....WHO? I had never heard of these guys, but the 1974 date on this album piqued my interest. Apparently I'm an idiot that has been living under a rock all my life. This album is quirky as hell. Sparks is an American duo out of Los Angeles but (at least this album) has a distinctly European flavor - in fact I didn't realize until a couple of songs in that they were actually singing in English. It's all very Eurovision.

Kind of bummed I had never heard of them. The music is really interesting, and I love this kind of offbeat stuff. There's a great sense of humor with titles like, "Thank God It's Not Christmas" and "Barbecutie," but it doesn't feel like self-parody. I saw a description of this album as "glam rock with elements of bubblegum pop and baroque music" and that's as good a way to describe it as any. The closest artist I came up with in trying to compare them was Mika of "Grace Kelly" fame - he has that same glam rock mixed with bubblegum melodies thing going on.

Running across stuff like this is exactly why I do these challenges. If I saw this in the record store I'd absolutely pick it up without a second thought. It's weird and wonderful, and now I'm curious to seek out more of their stuff because they've obviously transitioned through various styles throughout their 50 year career. Heck, I even stumbled across a straight up banger song they did about a lawnmower. I'm an instant fan.

i super don't understand - no, it's an injustice - why Sparks are almost completely unknown in their own country (although that is slightly changing as of the past few years) - even people who are supposedly big music nerds have never heard of them?? i literally know no one with whom i can discuss this band... their quality control (OVER THE PAST HALF CENTURY!!) is usually very high and the lyrics can be very funny without being a 'too-clever novelty act' - and they keep releasing new albums and touring to this day - the record they put out in 2017 _Hippopotamus_ i would even rank among their very best.

[trivia: "Virus Alert" from 'Weird Al' Yankovic's _Straight Outta Lynnwood_ is a Sparks style parody]
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:34 am 476 - Sparks - Kimono My House - My first reaction was....WHO? I had never heard of these guys, but the 1974 date on this album piqued my interest. Apparently I'm an idiot that has been living under a rock all my life.

Running across stuff like this is exactly why I do these challenges.
I must have been under the same rock.
It's interesting, odd, and vaguely familiar. Two songs in and I'm not sure if I like this or not, Which means I probably do like it, just not yet.

Running across stuff like this is exactly why I read your album challenges.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Archinerd wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:05 am Two songs in and I'm not sure if I like this or not, Which means I probably do like it, just not yet.
I like this take. If you don't like it, you know right away.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

hitbyambulance wrote:
YellowKing wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:34 am

i super don't understand - no, it's an injustice - why Sparks are almost completely unknown in their own country (although that is slightly changing as of the past few years) - even people who are supposedly big music nerds have never heard of them?? i literally know no one with whom i can discuss this band... their quality control (OVER THE PAST HALF CENTURY!!) is usually very high and the lyrics can be very funny without being a 'too-clever novelty act' - and they keep releasing new albums and touring to this day - the record they put out in 2017 _Hippopotamus_ i would even rank among their very best.

[trivia: "Virus Alert" from 'Weird Al' Yankovic's _Straight Outta Lynnwood_ is a Sparks style parody]
Did you watch the Edgar Wright (Cornetto trilogy, Scott Pilgram) directed Sparks documentary that came out a handful of years ago? It was quite great if you are a Sparks fan.

I am drawn to weirdness in music/artists that I like. Sparks are quite weird in a wonderful way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Dramatist wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:18 am
Did you watch the Edgar Wright (Cornetto trilogy, Scott Pilgram) directed Sparks documentary that came out a handful of years ago? It was quite great if you are a Sparks fan.
i have checked it out from the library several times but didn't get around to watching it. i was more drawn to the fact there is a full length concert included with the documentary... i probably just need to buy it