Grifman

Re: NY vs. Trump - Hush Money Trial

Post by Grifman »

Background context:
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Not sure if true, but I also saw a couple of mentions that he fell asleep at his table thingie while waiting for the judge to get things started. :D Old cooter!

Edit: he's asleep in the pic above!
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, he was nodding off yesterday and this morning. Low energy. Sad.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

In my pre law school days I was a paralegal at an IP firm. We had a multi-million dollar patent infringement trial going on in federal court, and the judge was sound asleep on the bench. To be fair, it was an incredibly boring trial about the minutiae of the process for annealing steel and my eyelids were drooping at times, too.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

As Donald Trumps new legal representative I will be raising a motion of boys will be boys!

Holman

Post by Holman »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:55 pm As Donald Trumps new legal representative I will be raising a motion of boys will be boys!
How is this not this??

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:34 pm In my pre law school days I was a paralegal at an IP firm. We had a multi-million dollar patent infringement trial going on in federal court, and the judge was sound asleep on the bench. To be fair, it was an incredibly boring trial about the minutiae of the process for annealing steel and my eyelids were drooping at times, too.
Ok, now you've got my curiosity going. What do you do in that situation? Quietly wait? Continue without the judge? "Accidentally" drop a book? Do a patter song? Politely wake the judge up and risk an embarrassed judge taking it personally, or possibly a gavel to the nose?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:59 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:34 pm In my pre law school days I was a paralegal at an IP firm. We had a multi-million dollar patent infringement trial going on in federal court, and the judge was sound asleep on the bench. To be fair, it was an incredibly boring trial about the minutiae of the process for annealing steel and my eyelids were drooping at times, too.
Ok, now you've got my curiosity going. What do you do in that situation? Quietly wait? Continue without the judge? "Accidentally" drop a book? Do a patter song? Politely wake the judge up and risk an embarrassed judge taking it personally, or possibly a gavel to the nose?
It was a jury trial so the judge was only needed if there was an objection to be ruled on or something like that. It's been a long time, but I think a clerk eventually went up to him to give him some "notes" or something.

Mr. Fed was telling a story on Bluesky yesterday about the time almost everyone in the courtroom was asleep except for him, the witness he was questioning, and the big, nasty looking murder defendant who was looking straight at him. Judge, marshalls, defense counsel. He said he sneezed really loud into the microphone to jolt everyone awake.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:41 pm
It was a jury trial so the judge was only needed if there was an objection to be ruled on or something like that. It's been a long time, but I think a clerk eventually went up to him to give him some "notes" or something.

Mr. Fed was telling a story on Bluesky yesterday about the time almost everyone in the courtroom was asleep except for him, the witness he was questioning, and the big, nasty looking murder defendant who was looking straight at him. Judge, marshalls, defense counsel. He said he sneezed really loud into the microphone to jolt everyone awake.
This happens a lot, especially with the Jury. It's hard to keep 12 to 14 people awake all day long when all they're doing is sitting and listening.
FTE
waitingtoconnect

I think trump and his lawyers get most of their legal theory from law and order and the practice.

You the episodes where the defence lawyer makes a preposterous argument and the case gets thrown out.

I’m surprised trump hasn’t tried not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect yet.

Just need a law and order trump show now.

“In New York Trump based crimes are considered especially heinous…”
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:41 pm

I had to go find it ;)

Link to Mr Fed's tale!
Swin, did I ever tell you about the time that everyone else in the courtroom seemed to be asleep and I was afraid the white supremacist bank robber was going to strangle me?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Holman

Post by Holman »

So a mentally ill person immolated himself outside of Trump's trial today, but so far I haven't seen anything that indicated that he was especially pro- or anti-Trump.

His manifesto posted online apparently focused on conspiracy theories around Crypto and the idea that it is a conspiracy to enslave us all. He also declared that NYU was a front for the mafia. He has a history of attempting weird, conspiracy-driven lawsuits as well, but none of his motives seem to be driven by right- or left-leaning consistency.

It does seem clear that he was not protesting Trump or the trial itself. He seems instead to have been drawn to the high media presence.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:10 pm His manifesto posted online
The Ponzi Papers - NYU is a Mob Front
Producer James L. Brooks made The Simpsons to tell us we have no choice but to slave away for evil billionaires, and that the American Dream is dead because we’re too oafish, divided, and morally decayed, and not because criminals have been stealing our futures.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm going to go ahead and lay down a wager that he was expelled ("put on involuntary leave") or fired by NYU at some point.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Sit!

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

After having his rally cancelled last night because of the weather, I'm guessing he's going to be in rare form tomorrow. He spent all week getting beat up and missed out on the attention from adoring fans. Can't wait!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

What I love even more is that gates opened early so many of his supporters stood out in 80 degree weather with no shelter for hours until finally getting absolutely DUMPED on (the rain was brutal), then told 30 minutes before the show to go home. I couldn't have scripted it better. :lol:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:34 am What I love even more is that gates opened early so many of his supporters stood out in 80 degree weather with no shelter for hours until finally getting absolutely DUMPED on (the rain was brutal), then told 30 minutes before the show to go home. I couldn't have scripted it better. :lol:
I love this.

I wonder if they pass the hat at these, or maybe charging to attend now to raise money for his lawy…I mean campaign?
waitingtoconnect

YellowKing wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:34 am What I love even more is that gates opened early so many of his supporters stood out in 80 degree weather with no shelter for hours until finally getting absolutely DUMPED on (the rain was brutal), then told 30 minutes before the show to go home. I couldn't have scripted it better. :lol:
Exactly one might say it was an act of God. Or more precisely ones might say it was a combination of deep state weather machines and Canadian space lasers that caused the rain and heat on the crowd.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 am After having his rally cancelled last night because of the weather, I'm guessing he's going to be in rare form tomorrow. He spent all week getting beat up and missed out on the attention from adoring fans. Can't wait!
The pressure must be intense! Like a balloon's pressure almost bursting a thin barrier, a hard log pushing against a clogged stream, or a dense and choked flow of soggy debris just waiting to burst a frail diaper asunder!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Interesting article. Trump's defense team has some crucial choices in how they defend against these charges:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/21/opinions ... index.html
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:29 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 am After having his rally cancelled last night because of the weather, I'm guessing he's going to be in rare form tomorrow. He spent all week getting beat up and missed out on the attention from adoring fans. Can't wait!
The pressure must be intense! Like a balloon's pressure almost bursting a thin barrier, a hard log pushing against a clogged stream, or a dense and choked flow of soggy debris just waiting to burst a frail diaper asunder!
Or like a massive inflamed boil on a fat inner thigh, rubbing against polyester tennis shorts that are too tight.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Unagi wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:40 am
Holman wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:29 pm
Or like a massive inflamed boil on a fat inner thigh, rubbing against polyester tennis shorts that are too tight.
Gross!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh boy - this pretty much guarantees a made-for-TV movie

NEW: NY Courts will release daily transcripts of Donald Trump's criminal trial.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Hopefully a flood of hilarious re-enactments to watch in the days to come.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Wise to make it as transparent as possible. In all seriousness.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, absolutely. It's also unprecedented (releasing transcripts so quickly). It's almost like the NY court system understands what's at stake...
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm sure they know all to well that Trump would go out there and say X happened, and they want the world to know that actually, Y happened.

And there is only one shot at first interpretations.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

It sounds like Allen Weissenlberg wrote everything down with regard to the breakdown of what calculus went into Cohen's payments.

That should be pretty damning in this case, I would think.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I just want to take this moment to say that it would be so nice to actually physically gag Trump.

/day-dreaming
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

From the updates I read this morning, that contempt hearing went really poorly for Trump and his counsel. The prosecution isn’t asking for Trump to be jailed - yet - but I think there’s a very real possibility Judge Merchan comes back and finds Trump in contempt and warns him that any further violations will result in jail time.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Will there be finger-wagging when he delivers that warning or does that only happen after his second and final warning?

I get that shit is complicated, but JFC already with this guy.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:48 am but JFC already with this guy.
Your forgot the F!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kurth wrote:From the updates I read this morning, that contempt hearing went really poorly for Trump and his counsel. The prosecution isn’t asking for Trump to be jailed - yet - but I think there’s a very real possibility Judge Merchan comes back and finds Trump in contempt and warns him that any further violations will result in jail time.
This needs to be the default position in all his cases.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah Teflon Don is certainly living up to his nickname. And they wonder why people are fed up with the class disparity in this country.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:48 am Will there be finger-wagging when he delivers that warning or does that only happen after his second and final warning?

I get that shit is complicated, but JFC already with this guy.
I hope that “this guy” is in reference to Trump and not Judge Merchan, who appears to be doing a hell of a job in an incredibly difficult and fraught position.