2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Eastside Hockey Manager 2005

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Crux

Eastside Hockey Manager 2005

Post by Crux »

Released in Europe at least. Anyone got it or planning to get it? Impressions? :D
If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit - Mitch Hedberg
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

:popcorn:

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

I was planning on getting last year's version, but I got the demo and played through about 5 months or so. I wish I had kept going past the 6 months the demo allows, but I didn't.
I'm interested to see how this one plays out.
magic

Post by magic »

this year's game will be totally different, as it's based moreso on the FM2005 engine (the soccer one) than last year's effort, which was based on their 3-4 year old engine.

Going by Football Manager 2005, this can only be good news.

I'm going to order this ASAP.
Terrified

Re: Eastside Hockey Manager 2005

Post by Terrified »

Crux wrote:Released in Europe at least. Anyone got it or planning to get it? Impressions? :D
I will be getting it, but probably not until the NA release this fall. So hard to get into hockey in the summer...
Lee

Re: Eastside Hockey Manager 2005

Post by Lee »

Terrified wrote:
Crux wrote:Released in Europe at least. Anyone got it or planning to get it? Impressions? :D
I will be getting it, but probably not until the NA release this fall. So hard to get into hockey in the summer...
So hard to get into hockey when there hasn't been any NHL in year. :(
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

A little bump.

I see that it's available at GoGamer now. I'm curious if anyone has tried it yet.
Lee

Post by Lee »

I'll buy you a beer tomorrow night Meal if you are willing to be the guinea pig. Come on, I know you like hockey and text sport sims. :D
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
DCL

Post by DCL »

There's a demo out for the 2005 version.

For me, like the original, I find myself lost with it. I still can't figure out how to even trade a player or how to get one on waivers (there are waivers in hockey aren't there?)

The demo is very confusing to me but then I find I get confused easier these days. :(

http://www.sigames.com/downloads.php?type=game&id=19
"If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle."

— Frederick Douglass
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Lee wrote:I'll buy you a beer tomorrow night Meal if you are willing to be the guinea pig. Come on, I know you like hockey and text sport sims. :D
I'm bored right now, I've got a couple of beers in me, Kayla has a friend spending the night and all three of them are doing Karaoke Revolution right now (not my bag, baby!), and when I read that GoGamer had it the post above yours I thought, "hmm, why not?"

But I've got that free COH spiel to give a whirl, too. Decisions, decisions...

~Neal
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Thanks for the demo heads-up, DCL. My experience with earlier incarnations of this series were the same as yours.

I'm downloading the demo now...

~Neal
Lee

Post by Lee »

Yummm, a Sunday night beer sure does sound tasty!
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

I took the plunge a couple of days ago and decided to give this one a shot. I really like OOTP so I figured that it's about time I own a hockey sim. I've only played around with it for literally 15 minutes after installing but I do have a few initial impressions.

- The interface is still confusing as hell. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to advance the calendar so I could actually play some games.

- So many talent categories, and I'm not sure what the scale is based on. I see players ranked anywhere from 7 - 15 in each category. Is it out of 20? Can I make it so it is 1-10 for each category? And with so many categories it's really hard to quickly guage a player's worth. I'm sure it's ok when you get used to it, but right now it's daunting.

- I couldn't figure out how to do a fantasy draft. I could only start with a team that was pre-made (my 2004 Leafs).

- The play by play has been slightly updated, but it's mostly cosmetic.

Of course, since I only spent a few minutes with the game I only noticed the little annoyances. I'm going to definitely try to get a full season in so I can learn the depth and intricacies and offer a more accurate opinion. These types of games can't really be judged on first impressions.

I'll provide more feedback later this week after I play with it some more.
dedewhale

Post by dedewhale »

I loved EHM so I dowloaded the demo and got confused and overwelmed and quickly shelved it...tooo bad the orginal was so much fun
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Yeah, I don't have the patience to figure out the demo. Were there some online tutorials or the like I'd probably get way into it.

Sucks getting old.

~Neal
magic

Post by magic »

ratings are out of 20, yes.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

DCL, thanks for the link to the demo.

I've been looking around in the demo. Like others have stated, I'm fairly lost at the moment, but I may end up taking the plunge on the full game, after all. I'll slog around a bit more before I commit, but I'm encouraged by the involvement of SI (with their CM/FM history) and being able to be the GM of the Gwinnett Gladiators (in the ECHL) is almost too much temptation to bear. :)

J.D., I would love to hear your further impressions after you've played around with it a bit more.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Isn't the interface exactly the same as the Football Manager interface?
Crux

Post by Crux »

Lee wrote:Isn't the interface exactly the same as the Football Manager interface?
Very, very similar.
If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit - Mitch Hedberg
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

I'll download it. I got into it last year, so I think I know how it'll run.
Be back with impressions soon.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

I've been teetering on the edge, but this thread pushed me over.

I should have it in hand by Friday.
riz_si

Post by riz_si »

Time to bump this thread back up :D

The North American release for NHL EHM 2005 is going to be on the 27th of September. Since the European release earlier this year, the game has been updated to include all the new league structures and rules changes for the playable leagues in the game. Aside from the league changes, data has been naturally updated as well according to the off-season moves. You can currently pre-order the game from Gamestop.com here:

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=646381

Once the game has been launched, you should be able to find the boxed retail version at EB Canada and Fry's atleast. Unfortunately this type of game is not that _big_ over there yet to make all the big retailers want to stock the game so in some areas you may have to either order it online from Gamestop etc or buy the digital download version. But hopefully this situation will improve version by version as we keep increasing the awareness and community around the game :)

Now for a quick FAQ to get the most likely questions out of the way:

Q: Does the game have the new CBA and a cap ?
A: Yes. All the officially announced bits of the new CBA have been coded into the game (excluding arbitration since it hasn't been in the game before and we could not add totally new features in this update). Team AI for roster management and player AI regarding salary demands, to mention a few areas, have been adjusted to work with the new rules changes and the new financial climate.

Q: Is the cap fluctuating ?
A: No. The cap is fixed in the game because we don't yet model the league finances on a level detailed enough to make a fluctuating cap work. And it'll be better if we see how things work in real life on a longer term basis.

Q: Are the rosters up to date ?
A: All rosters for all the leagues (NHL, AHL, ECHL, major juniors, European leagues...) have been updated to the best of our researchers abilities until near the end of August. Due to some licensing limitations, some players need to still be with their teams from last spring.

Q: So is my favourite rookie, Player X on my NHL team roster ?
A: Most likely not. Because of the NHLPA license terms, players who have not yet played proper games under contract to their NHL teams cannot be included on the NHL rosters. However, since the game covers so many other real leagues, you can find your beloved rookies starting in most cases with their old amateur/junior teams. And since you hold their rights, you can naturally sign them if you wish...

Q: I've already got the Euro-version (or the Try&Buy digital download version). Do I need to buy the new NA version now ?
A: No. For previous customers of NHL EHM 2005, we'll be providing a free update on our website that will update your game with the same league/rules/data changes as the NA version. Though it will mean that you'll need to start a new game to make use of the update, since old saves will not be compatible with all the new league structures.

There are new screenshots of the NA version available on the SI Games website now:
http://www.sigames.com/softography.php?type=view&id=23

Just as a curiosity, I found these boards due to a Space Rangers 2 thread on another board pointing to a thread here. And since there was a thread about our game in here as well, I thought I'd try and answer any questions that you might have as a "thank you" since this site played its part in uniting me with SR2 :D

Best regards,
Riz
riz_si

Post by riz_si »

Oh, and for those of you who may want to try out the demo (we'll try to get an updated one out before the NA release) and may still find yourself lost and longing after a tutorial, I can recommend this:

http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/index.php ... einfo&id=2
(Archibalduk's walkthrough guide to playing EHM 2005. An invaluable reference and a must for all players. This will get new players started understanding the game and give experienced players tips even they might not know.)
magic

Post by magic »

riz_si wrote:stuff. in two posts.
Now, i'm not one for fanboyism, but i'd just like to thank your company for consuming so much of my time with the incredible CM/FM series and now this.

And thanks for the updates on what the patch includes. I tried signing up for the si games community a while back but my account was never activated/confirmed on your end.
riz_si

Post by riz_si »

magic wrote:
riz_si wrote:stuff. in two posts.
Now, i'm not one for fanboyism, but i'd just like to thank your company for consuming so much of my time with the incredible CM/FM series and now this.

And thanks for the updates on what the patch includes. I tried signing up for the si games community a while back but my account was never activated/confirmed on your end.
No problem. I don't like fanboys that much either. But we do love making these games and I just consider myself as another gamer and a hockey fan who just happens to be lucky enough to be in a position to greatly affect the way the game turns out to be :)

If you want to PM me the details (username and email) you used in your application to our forums, I can check what gives. The accounts are usually not approved if you are using one of the big free emails like hotmail or yahoo, because the boards need to kept in order and there are too many troublemakers who use the easy access free emails to create multiple usernames etc.

Oh, and Gamestop have now updated their pre-order page with the relevant game information, including the notion of the new NHL CBA implemented in the game ;)

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=646381
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

riz_si wrote:Q: I've already got the Euro-version (or the Try&Buy digital download version). Do I need to buy the new NA version now ?
A: No. For previous customers of NHL EHM 2005, we'll be providing a free update on our website that will update your game with the same league/rules/data changes as the NA version.
I am not a patient man, so rather than wait until the NA release is out I thought I might do the digital download and then just update my version to be in line with the NA version coming out on the 27th. Is this update available or are you waiting until the NA release? Is there anything else I would be missing by buying and downloading the game now?

Thanks.

I'm a CM, errr, "FM" junkie, but I skipped last year's version. I haven't tried EHM in a few years probably because I've been disenchanted with the NHL, but this release is tempting me too much to resist (as are the many changes to the real-life league).
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

I found the answer....
If I purchased the European version, do I have to pay again?

No! The North American version is for people who have not yet purchased NHL Eastside Hockey Manager 2005. If you have the European boxed or digitally downloaded version you'll get a free season update around the 27th September 2005.
http://community.sigames.com/groupee/fo ... 9592087751
Lee

Post by Lee »

Inverarity wrote:I found the answer....
If I purchased the European version, do I have to pay again?

No! The North American version is for people who have not yet purchased NHL Eastside Hockey Manager 2005. If you have the European boxed or digitally downloaded version you'll get a free season update around the 27th September 2005.
http://community.sigames.com/groupee/fo ... 9592087751
Oh man, I am tempted to download this.
riz_si

Post by riz_si »

The ad campaign has started running for the North American release of NHL EHM 2005. You can spot the banner ads for example here:

http://www.nhl.com/fancentral/fungames/index.html

Also the ads are running on Gamespot and IGN/Gamespy in rotation. We'll also be going to Canada/US next week to talk to local media in a few different places about the game and visit some bigger PC magazines and websites as well for some added coverage.

:D
Beer Goggles

Post by Beer Goggles »

Downloaded the demo. As a long time APBA player, I am looking for a change.
Terrified

Post by Terrified »

Anyone seen this in stores yet?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Terrified wrote:Anyone seen this in stores yet?
I saw a post on their forums that said that today it was released to be shipped. They expected it to appear in stores in the Friday - Monday range.

I just ordered it from Gamestop and hopefully will have it on Friday. The fact that it'll run on my powerbook makes this a lock for me.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

So?

Anyone?...

(I'm downloading the Try & Buy version now)
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

I'm having a bit of trouble at the moment.

I have the European boxed version. However, when I go to Sports Interactive and download (and apply) the 2.1.1 patch (supposedly compatible with EHL 2005 and EHL 2005 NA), I get a message to "Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application."

The CD is in the drive, and works just fine on versions 2.0.2 and 2.1.0, just not with 2.1.1 (which sounds like the version with the updated rosters). :(
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

My patch issue has been resolved and I'm off and running with the new rosters and rules.
The Meal wrote:Yeah, I don't have the patience to figure out the demo. Were there some online tutorials or the like I'd probably get way into it.

Sucks getting old.

I did manage to find what looks to be a pretty good tutorial. I can't personally vouch for it, since I just glanced at it tonight, but it seems to be getting good reviews on the SI forums. It does look quite detailed, even to the level of practices, physiotherapists, training camp, team orders, and the like.

EHM 2005 Guide by Archibalduk and Minstrel

You can view it online or download a PDF file.

Now that I have the game patched, and with the start of the season looming, I imagine I'll spend some time with this over the next few weeks. I still have my Rushden & Diamonds squad to attend to in FM 2005, so my gaming time will be spread a bit thin this fall. :)
Terrified

Post by Terrified »

Inverarity wrote:So?

Anyone?...
Went to my local EB. They told me they don't have it listed and have no plans to get it in. And I live in Canada folks... Hockey central.

Somewhat disappointed...
riz_si

Post by riz_si »

Due to someone messing it up on that side of the pond, EB in Canada were not originally taking the game in at launch, even though that was what we were specifically told. After some pushing and shouting from our very own Mr Duffy at SI Towers, it has now been sorted out though and EBs in Canada should be stocking the game. There should be stock in stores late next week, so basically a week after the US stores got theirs. If you go to your EB again to look it up, try "NHL ES Hockey 2005" as someone on our forums reported that to be the name they have for it. Or just try the usual NHL Eastside Hockey Manager 2005 or NHL EHM 2005.

Sorry for the delay and hassle, but we can do very little about the distribution chain from our SI offices :(
Terrified

Post by Terrified »

riz_si wrote:Sorry for the delay and hassle, but we can do very little about the distribution chain from our SI offices :(
Wow! Wasn't really expecting a response straight from the SI towers... :D

Just so you know, I'm a huge fan of the CM games. Even though I dabble in football, I loved those games, so hearing that my favorite sport was being done by the same crew... I was so excited! As well, there's a number of us who, having been away from the sport for a year, are really thirsting to get back into it. So I figured this, the heartbed of hockey, was going to be a place that EHM was going to do brilliant business. So you can imagine my surprise when the clerk at EB said "Huh? No, I'm pretty sure we're not getting that."

I had deliberately not ordered the game online or arranged to have it shipped from elsewhere (as you need to do with the CM games) because I wanted to support a 'proper' release. So you can imagine how happy I was to hear it wasn't coming...

And you can imagine how happy I am to hear that it is! I'll let you know when I see it out here! Thanks for the info.
riz_si

Post by riz_si »

According to reports on our forums, the game can now be found in EB stores in Canada as well. So have a look in your local store...and if they don't have it or don't know about it, bug them for as long as it takes for them to acknowledge the game :D
Terrified

Post by Terrified »

riz_si wrote:According to reports on our forums, the game can now be found in EB stores in Canada as well. So have a look in your local store...and if they don't have it or don't know about it, bug them for as long as it takes for them to acknowledge the game :D
I'm here to report the unfortunate results of my Saturday foray to EB. I live in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Old time hockey fans will recognize that as the birthplace of Mr. Hockey, Gordie Howe. New hockey fans... Well, he's the guy who held the records that Gretzky broke to become the greatest of all time. :) So believe me when I say that we're a hockey town.

I had begun mentioning EHLM months ago to my friends and the response was generally positive. Most said if they saw something like that in a store, they'd absolutely give it a look. So it was with some excitement I looked forward to seeing it in stores.

Well, this weekend, I went to my local EB. There are two stores in Saskatoon, and they'd be like any EB in Toronto or Vancouver or any major American city. (Don't they all look the same?) Well, I walked in and no sign of EHLM anywhere. I grabbed the nearest salesperson and asked about it. He calmly told me that EHLM was not a new product, it had come out long ago, and they didn't stock it anymore. I told him it came out a few weeks previous, and he actually argued with me. But eventually he called over the manager to speak to me. So I asked the manager and he told me he had no idea what I was talking about, but he'd look on the computer. Lo and behold, he found it easily, and even though he found the idea of a hockey management simulator interesting, he told me they'd never had one in the store, and short of me special ordering it, he didn't expect they'd have any. Keep in mind this store had a whole wall section of EA NHL 06, and nearly as much space devoted to the other arcade console hockey games.

Now, there's not much motivation for me to special order it. I'd have to wait for it to be delivered AND I'd have to pay mall prices. If I'm going to mail order it, I'd expect I should get it a bit cheaper... But the whole point of my message is to say that it was NOT available and in a place where hockey is the #1 sport, that seems a shame. But I did tell the manager that if he had one in the store, I'd have bought it, and perhaps that'll motivate him to bring a few into the store.