Official Gloating/Moaning Thread - Only Here Please

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Padre

Official Gloating/Moaning Thread - Only Here Please

Post by Padre »

TO keep this place reasonable to read, and to allow those who hate this kind of thing to avoid it, I humbly suggest that people confine all their crowing, gloating, moaning, existential despair, photoshopped pictures of various candidates being kicked in the butt and other such tomfoolery to this thread and this thread only.

Hopefully this way we can still eke out some meaningful debate elsewhere and the main forum page won't get crowded with idenitkit threads.

Please?
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Keep trying, them windmills is tricky and evasive.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Only someone with your beliefs would start a wanker thread like this. I win, I win!11!@#%$ :D
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

How dare you guys mock a religious man?
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

How dare you guys mock the savior (and then accept him for a free playstation 2!).
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Mr. Fed wrote:Keep trying, them windmills is tricky and evasive.
What's your beef against the Dutch?!? You're probably one of those black helicopter, UN fearing, isolationists! :evil:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Padre

Post by Padre »

Well America, you did it. You relected the unelectable. YOu took a look t a man who has obfuscated, muddled and blundered his way through a presidency with very little of what might reasonably be termed success, and gave him another four years at the helm.

I hope you're proud of yourselves.

A small part of me is slightly glad of this result, just so I can watch bush fuck things up really badly, and so that I can hope that in viewing the car crash of his second term, America can be brought to it's senses.

sigh*

It sucks so much to have a lot at stake in decisions like this and yet have no power whatsoever over the outcome. Oh well....

Four more years....
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

I didn't know we had a separate (official!) moaning thread when I posted this in the Game Day Thread so I'll copy it here. Bush supporters, your ilk baffle me.

-----

This is horrible horrible horrible horrible.

I can't believe it.

Just horrible.

Four years ago when this guy somehow eeked into the White House my only solace was that in four years he'd be gone. His performance during those four years only solidified my confidence in that prediction. Now this.

Why couldn't we have had a candidate just 10% more engaging, personable, handsome, witty, down to earth, anything? I mean, if a guy this stiff and gaunt and stathappy could come this close to defeating Bush, we really didn't need much. But we needed just a little more. We should've put nobody on the ticket because nobody could've won.

I tell you, the gay rights activists shot themselves in the foot bringing this marriage issue to the forefront before America was ready. I think these referendums motivated a lot of deepdown ugly people to get out to the polls and cast their votes against homos and, heck, while they're at it, vote Bush.

I also can't believe the fucking youth of America could be so vapid that they don't even get out and vote. What happened to all the newly registered voters?! Same youth turnout as 4 years ago. Fuck youth.

Amelia, I'm sorry your country is such a sorry mess. I hope it gets better.
CSL

Post by CSL »

I'm so very, very, very disappointed with you people. True Kerry was IMHO a flawed and pretty crappy candidate, but Bush is worse. Far, far worse. My opinion may mean nothing to all of you because i'm not an American (pretty glad i'm not right now actually) but it stands.

That and the bigoted, hateful passing gay marriages proposals.

Edit: You bastard, bastard, bastard youth voters. We youth deserve all the bullshit we get because of this pathetic, vapid response.
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

It's a comprehensive Republican victory. Not only does Bush have a real mandate this time, but the GOP has expanded their control over both houses of Congress. He'll also get to appoint at least two and possibly as many as four judges to SCOTUS, not to mention all of the federal appointments.

I predicted this long ago...Kerry was unelectable. The Democrats handed Dubya this election through their incompetence and shameless opportunism. I'd say let them reap what they sow, but sadly for us we're all going to suffer for this one.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
DD

Post by DD »

Yay! Four more years! And surely a Supreme Court justice or three - I might go for human cloning if it would mean another Thomas or Scalia.

Quick aside to the lefties in the house - why is that every time you folks nominate a liberal, they run away from their record? I mean, Dubya never has a problem saying he's a conservative, but Jean-Francois spent pretty near the whole campaign trying to convince people he was not a left-winger. I mean, if you believe in the package, put the label out there for all to see...

Of course, that would make Mondale in '84 look good, but hey, at least it's honest...
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I don't belong in this country.

Ale
Padre

Post by Padre »

DD wrote: Quick aside to the lefties in the house - why is that every time you folks nominate a liberal, they run away from their record? I mean, Dubya never has a problem saying he's a conservative, but Jean-Francois spent pretty near the whole campaign trying to convince people he was not a left-winger. I mean, if you believe in the package, put the label out there for all to see...

Of course, that would make Mondale in '84 look good, but hey, at least it's honest...
Because they know it's unelectable. Liberal is stilla dirty word in much of America. If you came out and said "Yeah, I'm a liberal.", the only people who might give you MORE support would be in states that were voting for you anyway.
Arnold Yim

Post by Arnold Yim »

Sigh.

It's all my fault. Whoever I want to win never do. Bush Sr., Dole, and Gore. I sure pick the winners.

I wanted Kerry, and now it looks like it is going to Bush.

EDIT: I've lived in NJ, MA, RI, NH, and CA. I guess I really don't know what half of the US is really like politically.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Honestly, I just want to cry. The last time I cried was when a close family friend died.
DD

Post by DD »

aussie77 wrote:Honestly, I just want to cry. The last time I cried was when a close family friend died.
Go ahead. My cheering will cancel out your crying - net neutral. ;)
Arnold Yim

Post by Arnold Yim »

DD wrote:
aussie77 wrote:Honestly, I just want to cry. The last time I cried was when a close family friend died.
lol. Mean, but funny :-)
Crux

Post by Crux »

DD wrote:
See if you're laughing in another year or two.
KingB

Post by KingB »

Crowley wrote:How dare you guys mock the savior (and then accept him for a free playstation 2!).
Ok, Crowley. People get you avatar already. I dont know how many refernces or jokes you have made about yourself and Jesus. Enough already.
Currently thinking of something clever.........
naednek

Post by naednek »

It's not over yet, and it could still go either way, but what made my night, was seeing Kratz in IRC crying for the last 4 hours :D
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Honestly, you need to develop some perspective. Your life will be tomorrow what it is today.

At least you're not Hetz.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Tareeq wrote:
Honestly, you need to develop some perspective. Your life will be tomorrow what it is today.

At least you're not Hetz.
Whilst I appreciate the life advice Tareeq, I already have perspective. Spending a goodly amount of time travelling and living in other countries will do that for you. My life won't be any different tomorrow, or the day after. But I honestly believe the world will be different 2, 3 and even 10 years from now as a result of this election. And not for the better. Am I going to jump out of a window? No. But I still reserve the right to feel bitterly disappointed in the voting public over what took place today. Perspective or not.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Tareeq wrote:
Disagreement!

He is not displaying a lack of perspective in the slightest.

And nevermind tomorrow... 365x4+Leap Day=1,461 tomorrows with Bush at the helm. That can have quite an impact. Lots of people all over the country might consider it a night worth a few tears.
warning

Post by warning »

aussie77 wrote:My life won't be any different tomorrow, or the day after. But I honestly believe the world will be different 2, 3 and even 10 years from now as a result of this election. And not for the better.
And just over slightly half of the American public apparently believes the world will be different and better with Bush in office. You're right and they're wrong? Or maybe they're right and you're wrong? Both? Neither? There's no clear groundswell of support for either candidate.

Intelligent people can passionately disagree. That's a very good thing.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Tareeq's point isn't that the belief in that Bush's election is meaningless or uneventful or not worth lamenting if you so choose. It's that comparing it to the death of a close friend seems a bit extreme. I'd tend to agree.

(Edit: I don't mean to speak for Tareeq but I gathered that was the thrust of his comment.)
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
Incendiary Lemon

Post by Incendiary Lemon »

Honestly I feel like driving a tractor into the reflecting pool.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

The Preacher wrote:(Edit: I don't mean to speak for Tareeq but I gathered that was the thrust of his comment.)
It was..
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

Fuck.

That was my ranting.
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Does anyone else think that keeping Dick Cheney as VP was insurance in case of (a) an assassination attempt or (b) impeachment?

I could live with Bush as President (barely). I could live much happier if Dick Cheney, Ronald Rumsfeld and John Ashcroft were fired (preferrably from a very large cannon and into something on flames). I would have been able to exist peacefully if the Democrats took back the Senate and House. But a second Bush presidency with a Republican House/Senate would be disaster -- someone has to hold Bush accountable. And it's not the news, they've rolled over for Karl Rove, Scott McClellan and company.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Zarathud wrote:And it's not the news, they've rolled over for Karl Rove.
Thank goodness for independent free media like 60 Minutes and the New York Times?
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Phedis wrote:
Crowley wrote:How dare you guys mock the savior (and then accept him for a free playstation 2!).
Ok, Crowley. People get you avatar already. I dont know how many refernces or jokes you have made about yourself and Jesus. Enough already.
I could go for a bit more of the Jesus humor personally. But a PS2 is so 2001, couldn't christ cough up at least an XBOX for godsake?

Oh and more on topic, at this writing people are still apparently in line to vote in Ohio even though the polls closed hours ago. Sadly dubya will likely prevail, but foxnews doesn't make the call, the registrars do.
DD

Post by DD »

Tareeq wrote:
Zarathud wrote:And it's not the news, they've rolled over for Karl Rove.
Thank goodness for independent free media like 60 Minutes and the New York Times?
Indeed! Please don't forget CBS, ABC, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, the Washington Post, Newsweek, Time, the LA Times - paragons of objectivity, all.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

And here I thought the Messiah would be packing proprietary gaming goodness with universal compatability. Silly me.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Zarathud wrote:And here I thought the Messiah would be packing proprietary gaming goodness with universal compatability. Silly me.
Now that might actually make me convert. If the metal-fish-on-car people could show me how jc would allow me access to all PC and Console games on a single hardware platform that would be divinely upgraded through prayer... hard to resist. But even then I'd probably just be swallowing my pride and paying lip-service for the sweet gooey divine gaming goodness. oh yeah and he lives. right.
Faldarian

Post by Faldarian »

Not much to say.

I simply refuse to believe anymore that the system is capable of working in a political vacuum where the truth is a detriment to the candidates and accountability and responsibility are not issues. I honestly no longer believe that America stands for the same things I do anymore, and all I can hope for is that the country is strong enough to get itself back on the right track again in four years.

After today, we deserve everything that this guy has done to us and will do to us in the future. I hope you guys that are cheering are still doing it in a few years.

I'm done with thinking about and talking about politics for a good long time, I think.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

DD wrote:
Tareeq wrote:Thank goodness for independent free media like 60 Minutes and the New York Times?
Indeed! Please don't forget CBS, ABC, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, the Washington Post, Newsweek, Time, the LA Times - paragons of objectivity, all.
Repeat "liberal media bias" all you want folks, it won't make the claim true. I'm sorry, that "liberal media" argument is pure and simple bullshit. The utter ridiculousness of this argument as a deflection tactic against legitimate criticism makes me SICK -- and I'm a moderate Republican!

The "liberal media" argument is an intimidation tactic to hush up or dismiss stories that are potentially harmful to conservatives/Republicans. If the news media was as biased and liberal as claimed, then the news has held back from wielding its full power to point out the incredible FALSEHOODS told by President G.W. Bush. Any claim of "liberal bias" became invalidated when the media completely lost its skepticism and failed to question the justification of the War in Iraq. Or the progress of the War. Or how the peace would be secured. Or keep pounding the story about the lack of WMDs and the sheer ludicriousness of the argument that "the world is safer without Saddam Hussein" when the power vacuum in Iraq creates serious destabilizing tendencies in the region. Or take more than a day to comment on how POORLY President Bush did in the first debates. If 9/11 changed anything, it removed the media's spine to stand up to the Bush administration. The last reporter to try to bring out a story against the President was Dan Rather, and the whole situation smells like a dirty tricks set-up to me.

I don't claim that media needs to be objective. It just needs to search for the underlying news that isn't fed to it by spin-doctors, with skepticism and investigative zeal. The truth is whatever can withstand scrutiny in the light of day. When bloggers are finding more news than the true media, something's wrong. It's not bias -- it's a lack of spine. And that condition is a result of what this administration has done to suppress, hide or obfuscate potentially damaging information. And the media lets it happen.

So take that "liberal media bias" argument and shove it into your secure, undisclosed location. I'm sick of such nonsense.

/me steps back. Wow, how is that for a rant?
Raug

Post by Raug »

I'm feeling disappointed, discouraged, and a bit disgusted. It wouldn't have been so bad if the Dems could have at least gained a more equal footing in congress. If I have to accept Bush for 4 more years a gridlock would have made it more bearable. :? (Somehow that smilie is inadequate. I need one more a little more sarcastic and disgruntled but not as happy as the smilies.)

Whether you agree with gay marriage or not (it wasn't a big issue for me and was settled here in Missouri months ago in any case) I can't abide the sentiment that government has the right to legislate things as grey as that.

Now I need to watch or read something funny before I go to bed to lift this black mood.

Venting feels good.
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

well I won't concede officially until Kerry does but I will say it would take a miracle.

So it's Wednesday morning and I'm disappointed ...

tallying up the 1 mil absentee votes in Florida could take until Thursday, according to the FL Sec of State. Counting the votes in Ohio could take 10 -14 days our Sec of State Blackwell sez. I think at the 10 day mark we're entitled to start looking for a bell tower.
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

On the bright side, I think we can all agree with at least one statement made by Osama bin Laden* in his most recent tape:

"On the whole, I don't see much difference between the two candidates. Although, and I will probably get in trouble for saying this, I cannot stand Teresa Heinz Kerry. She is just awful. Just awful. Our religion forbids us to strike a woman, although, I admit, I do it all the time, and I know I shouldn't. But if she were my wife, as Allah is my witness, I would not stop beating her."

* According to the SNL translation of OBL's tape
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Faldarian wrote: After today, we deserve everything that this guy has done to us and will do to us in the future. I hope you guys that are cheering are still doing it in a few years.

I'm done with thinking about and talking about politics for a good long time, I think.
First things first, not picking on you at all Faldarian, but Im sensing your tone in a lot people Ive talked to, both here and in RL. I just chose to respond to your particular post. No hard feelings. Cool?

HOld up....why do we "deserve" whatever Bush does in the future? Half the country didnt vote for that clown. We simply have to take more responsibility for seeing that the direction this country takes is the one in which we want it to go. Write your Congresspersons, get out the vote again in 2 years, write Bush and let the White House know how you feel.

I know some(all?) of that is potentially pointless, but it's a helluva lot better option than just sitting back and taking it.

But what might be an even better option is this: tell the Democratic party to nominate someone who doesnt talk out of both sides of his mouth, has a f'n PLAN for doing what he says he wants to do, and perhaps most importantly doesnt have one of the most consistently liberal voting tracks in Congress. Personally, Kerry's voting(with a few notable exceptions) doesnt bother *me*, but as someone else said, 'liberal' is still a 4 letter word in this country. Until it's not, the Dems would be wise to nominate someone who is, for lack of a better word, electable.

Personally, I hope like hell BUsh realizes just how damn close he came to losing this thing, and would've lost, if his opponent had been almost anyone else...but dimwit that he is, he'll likely take it for a 'mandate from the people'(or at least spin it that way) and continue to bludgeon the rest of the world with America's might, while spending his own people into the poor house.

Im actually neither sad nor happy about this result(assuming Bush is prez)...hell Id feel the exact same no matter which one of these yokels was in the White House. Ive been utterly disillusioned with this election since Super Tuesday, way back when. I mean, why can't we just have a nominee who DOESN'T spout the party line? Why the hell are the ideas of economic AND social freedoms, mutually exclusive? In short, why do all the candidates suck?

SUre hope I win that 'Win Your Own Island' sweepstakes. :(

EDIT: but until I do, I guess I just have to work harder for my country(or at all...whatever :wink: )
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup