Saskatchewan approves same-sex marriage

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

CSL

Saskatchewan approves same-sex marriage

Post by CSL »

:D

Story

Becomes the seventh Canadian province to legalize this.
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

This effects the U.S. how?
XBox Live Gamertag: Yankeeman84

GO HOKIES!!!

Virginia Tech Department of History
Al

Post by Al »

We're not allowed to talk about Canadian politics here?
CSL

Post by CSL »

Yankeeman84 wrote:This effects the U.S. how?
Oh wait, i'm sorry the world revolves around America!

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It makes the US look stupid.

But really, you're right Yankeman. There is no global nuance to politics so if it isn't directly about the US, it isn't important.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Isn't Saskatchewan the place that Sasquatches come from?
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

I am just curious how this effects us. It doesn't matter what country we talk about. I just want to know how this plays on us.

GO HOKIES!!!

Al

Post by Al »

Bigfoot is in the closet? That explains a lot.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

No, you're thinking of Saskatoon.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

I hear Chewbacca is gay.
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

LOL ^^^^^^

GO HOKIES!!!

CSL

Post by CSL »

Tareeq wrote:I hear Chewbacca is gay.
When did the Chewbacca Defence come into play? Hmmmm
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

Right after Luke Skywalker hugged him in the Return of the Jedi.

I knew something was up with him too.

:wink:

GO HOKIES!!!

Rabid moth

Post by Rabid moth »

It doesn't really effect the U.S.

The U.S's stance does effect Canada however, as gays from the states coming here to wed have become a massive industry in Canada....
geezer

Post by geezer »

I livein the US, and well, for one, I just felt the bond between my wife and I weaken. I also find myself leering at the cat a bit more than usual.

On the flip side, my wife is reconsidering adding another woman or two to our bonds of marraige.
Spock's Brain

Post by Spock's Brain »

Sounds like it's time for a regime change. Well, that and we need to secure the free flow of bacon and maple syrup. We yanks love breakfast. :D
gellar

Post by gellar »

Mr. Fed wrote:No, you're thinking of Saskatoon.
I hate that godforsaken town.

gellar
OMGHI2U
"I guess we're all retarded except you Gellar." - Kobra
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

I livein the US, and well, for one, I just felt the bond between my wife and I weaken.
How?

GO HOKIES!!!

setaside

Post by setaside »

Make sure you guys let us know when the Canadian government falls into ruin and total anarchy breaks out due to allowing gay couples to marry, ok?
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

geezer wrote:I livein the US, and well, for one, I just felt the bond between my wife and I weaken.
I felt the same way about my wife! Uh, if you want to come over, and, uh, talk about it . . . . :wink:
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Mr. Fed wrote:
geezer wrote:
I livein the US, and well, for one, I just felt the bond between my wife and I weaken.
I felt the same way about my wife! Uh, if you want to come over, and, uh, talk about it . . . . :wink:
Take it to a hotel right now. One on the seedy end of town.

Goddamn preverts spreading your preversions all over this forum. Next you'll be marrying bigfoots.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Tareeq wrote: Goddamn preverts spreading your preversions all over this forum. Next you'll be marrying bigfoots.
No, God intended marriage to be between Adam and Eve, not Adam and Harry.

And as for Chewbacca -- don't get me started on the morals of that. As Johnnie Cochran would say, "If he's a Wookie, you get no nookie!"
Discalced

Post by Discalced »

Mr. Fed wrote: And as for Chewbacca -- don't get me started on the morals of that. As Johnnie Cochran would say, "If he's a Wookie, you get no nookie!"
"If his name's Chewbacc, you get no cock"?
Ranulf

Post by Ranulf »

geezer wrote:
I livein the US, and well, for one, I just felt the bond between my wife and I weaken. I also find myself leering at the cat a bit more than usual.

On the flip side, my wife is reconsidering adding another woman or two to our bonds of marraige.
Next you'll be joining Peta, moving to a compound in the forest and mating with a lama.
Al

Post by Al »

First you let those gays get married and next thing you know it'll be okay to make out with your sister.
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

In case people are curious, Saskatchewan is a rural prairie province that's big on gun ownership and more traditional cultural values. They're not as much in opposition to urban central Canada as Alberta but it's still pretty conservative. The provincial government is Conservative and 13 out of 14 MPs in Parliament are Conservative. The American equivalent would be states like the Dakotas and Wyoming. In other words, not the usual suspects for supporting gay rights.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
Beergut

Post by Beergut »

3 things Canada has that the United States doesn't:

1) Universal Healthcare
2) Tolerance for those with different beliefs or lifestyles
3) Separation of Church and State
CSL

Post by CSL »

Beergut wrote:3 things Canada has that the United States doesn't:

1) Universal Healthcare
4) GOD BLESS THE QUEEN!!!

:D
Petey Wheatstraw

Post by Petey Wheatstraw »

Even tolerance for those who believe that homosexuality is wrong? I'm not seeing a lot of that. "Tolerance" ain't a one way street, you know.
Funny. I missed the part where the US had a state-sponsored religion. And just because a majority of people have a certain religious belief does NOT equal a state-sponsored religion, no matter how much one tries to claim that.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

1) Universal Healthcare
4) Preventable deaths caused by hospital employees who can't be fired for failing to wash their hands.
5) Government censorship of "hate speech" and other controversial ideas.
6) Shocking insularity and ignorance of the history and culture of nearby countries.

I'm sure animals living in cages feel the trade of freedom for security is worthwhile too. We all have our rationalizations.
setaside

Post by setaside »

Even tolerance for those who believe that homosexuality is wrong? I'm not seeing a lot of that.
I'm plenty tolerant of those who believe homosexuality is wrong ... all the way up until they start trying to pass laws and amend constitutions to keep gay people from having the same rights as straight people. Yeah, I can get a little intolerant at that point.

Did you vote for the gay marriage ban in your local state? If you haven't had the vote yet ... would you?
CSL

Post by CSL »

Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Petey Wheatstraw wrote:
Even tolerance for those who believe that homosexuality is wrong? I'm not seeing a lot of that. "Tolerance" ain't a one way street, you know.
Tolerance in that sense must be the same as tolerance for those who think that interracial marriage is wrong: You can have that view, you can talk about it all you want, but you're not allowed to impose it or use the state to impose it on other people.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Beergut wrote: 2) Government-enforced tolerance, on pain of prosecution, for those particular different beliefs or lifestyles that the government chooses to protect
Fixed. :wink:
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

Mr. Fed wrote:
Beergut wrote: 2) Government-enforced tolerance, on pain of prosecution, for those particular different beliefs or lifestyles that the government chooses to protect
The hate crime laws are unfortunate but that's a huge exaggeration of their impact here. Ditto Tareeq's vastly misleading header on government censorship of online hate speech, which simply doesn't exist here. It's pretty funny for an American to talk about trading freedom for security. Your house is made of glass, my friend.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
CSL

Post by CSL »

The Mad Hatter wrote:
Mr. Fed wrote:
The hate crime laws are unfortunate but that's a huge exaggeration of their impact here. Ditto Tareeq's vastly misleading header on government censorship of online hate speech, which simply doesn't exist here. It's pretty funny for an American to talk about trading freedom for security. Your house is made of glass, my friend.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

The Mad Hatter wrote:
Mr. Fed wrote:
Didn't I also read that Canada is detaining someone indefinitely without charges as some sort of threat to national security?

I wasn't suggesting that the hate crimes laws (which I regard as a silly way to achieve social justice, as opposed to the law permitting gay marriage in question in this thread, which is fantastic and something to be proud of) are pervasive. Rather, I was suggesting they were something one might take into account in portraying one country as free and enlightened and the other as the opposite. Hence the smiley. They are a little disturbing to my eye. But not my country, not my laws.

Of course, while I was at it, I should have taken a swing at this one as well:
) Separation of Church and State
CSL

Post by CSL »

Mr. Fed wrote: Didn't I also read that Canada is detaining someone indefinitely without charges as some sort of threat to national security?
*cough*

Edit: Waiting for you to make up something witty and kick my ass, especially if you were being sarcastic.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

You missed the point -- MH alluded to some of the frightening steps that America has taken during the "war on terror," and I pointed out that Canada is not above reproach in that regard. All in service of my original point that neither side is some sort of utopia of freedom.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

The Mad Hatter wrote: It's pretty funny for an American to talk about trading freedom for security. Your house is made of glass, my friend.
That slight sting is pride, fucking with you. Fuck pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps.