Halo 2 sells $100 million in a day

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Dirt

Halo 2 sells $100 million in a day

Post by Dirt »

PR_GMR

Post by PR_GMR »

How do I get the feeling I won't be able to find a copy tonight when I swing by any Gamespot or EB? :P

(PR smacks himself--'should've preordered)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Our EB at the mall said they had over 4,000 pre-orders. :shock:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote:Our EB at the mall said they had over 4,000 pre-orders. :shock:
HOLY CRAP! a mall EB isn't exactly a Best Buy or Circuit City, so that number shocks me.
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

Is this a console forum all of a sudden or is there a simultaneous PC/XBox release I didn't know about?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Tell me about it. They're filling pre-orders with a lottery system since they can't possibly accomodate everyone.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Holy CRAP.

If they keep making sales like this -- it can only be good for gaming in general.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Oops. Sorry, can this thread be moved?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Holy crap. :shock:

And that's just X-Box sales?!?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

This has an effect on PC Gaming though...

I mean, a $100 million in one day is probably a record for any type of entertainment. Movie tickets, sporting events, music concerts...

I don't know how much Halo 2 cost to develop, but it's very likely that it was an order of magnitude smaller than your typical hollywood blockbustster...

People who don't notice when PS2 games move 10 million units, are going to notice $100 million in a day.

It will also be interesting to see if they move a lot of actual X-boxes the next couple months.
Charlatan

Re: ...

Post by Charlatan »

PR_GMR wrote:How do I get the feeling I won't be able to find a copy tonight when I swing by any Gamespot or EB? :P

(PR smacks himself--'should've preordered)
strange, I was at EB today picking up my EQ2 preorder, and the guy said they had 100 preorders and 50 random dudes show up last night for the Midnight Madness. Today they appeared to have plenty of copies for sale (not the collector's ed, just the normal one though) - I saw a guy walk in and buy one.

4000 Preorders? Wow, either that's a college town or a place where physical fitness is nonexistent :)
When all is said and done, there's more said than done.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Charlatan wrote: 4000 Preorders? Wow, either that's a college town or a place where physical fitness is nonexistent :)
okay, THAT was funny... :D
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

To the console forum!

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

4000 Preorders? Wow, either that's a college town or a place where physical fitness is nonexistent
It's both! :D
PR_GMR

Post by PR_GMR »

strange, I was at EB today picking up my EQ2 preorder, and the guy said they had 100 preorders and 50 random dudes show up last night for the Midnight Madness. Today they appeared to have plenty of copies for sale (not the collector's ed, just the normal one though) - I saw a guy walk in and buy one.
Good news! If that's the case, I'll be able to pick up a copy tonight.
4000 Preorders? Wow, either that's a college town or a place where physical fitness is nonexistent

:lol:
Sponge

Post by Sponge »

I'm sorta intrigued by Halo 2 but I don't have an Xbox. How does it compare it to shooters on the PC? It sounds like the Second Coming but it doesn't sound like it could hold a candle to PC games like UT2004, PLanetside, Joint ops, etc.

And how the hell do you play without a keyboard and mouse? Do you have to use a gamepad?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Charlatan wrote:
4000 Preorders? Wow, either that's a college town or a place where physical fitness is nonexistent :)
I'm pretty sure that statement applies to all of America.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Sponge wrote:I'm sorta intrigued by Halo 2 but I don't have an Xbox. How does it compare it to shooters on the PC? It sounds like the Second Coming but it doesn't sound like it could hold a candle to PC games like UT2004, PLanetside, Joint ops, etc.

And how the hell do you play without a keyboard and mouse? Do you have to use a gamepad?
Playing a shooter with a controller is torture at first. Eventually you get used to it. You don't have the total control that you do with KB/Mouse, but the game is designed around the controller so it works out.

BTW, $100 million, that's what, around 1.9 million copies, depending on the CE vs. the regular edition? Very impressive but with pre-orders, all your hardcore fans have already bought the game.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

LawBeefaroni wrote:BTW, $100 million, that's what, around 1.9 million copies, depending on the CE vs. the regular edition? Very impressive but with pre-orders, all your hardcore fans have already bought the game.

Yah, what's week 3 sales gonna be? $1000 bucks? :P
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

CeeKay wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:BTW, $100 million, that's what, around 1.9 million copies, depending on the CE vs. the regular edition? Very impressive but with pre-orders, all your hardcore fans have already bought the game.

It will be a Platinum Classic by then. So $500 if they're lucky.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

And it isn't even a worldwide release as that article claims. Europe has it for november 11th, not november 9th. (which royally sucks, but is better than the month delay we usually get)
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy
ohbalto

Post by ohbalto »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
CeeKay wrote:

Urm, the first Halo has never left the top ten list for sales on the system since its release.

Digest that for a moment; see if you don't get queasy. They're projecting just under $400,000,000 in Halo2 sales between now and the end of Q1 2005. Because, you know, what Microsoft needs is *more* money!
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

They don't need more money. But they do need a game that will sell their machine.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

At the EB at Cherry Creek, the guys said they were there until 4 in the morning selling games two days ago.
I chose yesterday, for some reason, to go to EB and trade old PC games for PS2 games. It took quite a while.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ohbalto wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
CeeKay wrote:

Urm, the first Halo has never left the top ten list for sales on the system since its release.

Digest that for a moment; see if you don't get queasy. They're projecting just under $400,000,000 in Halo2 sales between now and the end of Q1 2005. Because, you know, what Microsoft needs is *more* money!
Oh, I know all that. I have no doubt Halo2 will be the Xbox all time sales leader in the not-too-distant future. If it has legs, I could see it among the top across all consoles.

I probably should have put a :lol: or something after that last one.

MYT
Draco

Post by Draco »

Plus, Halo 1 has been in that top 10 spot since it came out at $50; it only came down to $30 about 2-3 months ago.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Wow, I just walked into my bestbuy here and picked it up off the shelf yesterday. There was a huge pile of them still there. I was worried it would be sold out here, but nope, plenty of them there.
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

Halo 2 actually sold $125 million in one day.
gellar

Post by gellar »

Eco-Logic wrote:Halo 2 actually sold $125 million in one day.
Pretty damn good. I think I'm literally the only XBox owner who hasn't bought it.

gellar
OMGHI2U
"I guess we're all retarded except you Gellar." - Kobra
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad