Ding, Dong, the Witch is Dead!

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Exodor

Ding, Dong, the Witch is Dead!

Post by Exodor »

Ashcroft Resigns
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Attorney General John Ashcroft and Commerce Secretary Donald Evans resigned in a post-election shake-up of President Bush's Cabinet, the White House announced on Tuesday.
:D

I've hated Ashcroft since his days as governor of Missouri - thank God he won't be back.
Kadoth Nodens

Post by Kadoth Nodens »

What a world, what a world! :D
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Does this mean we get to see Lady Liberty's boobies again?
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Dirt

Post by Dirt »

The King is dead, long live.... the King?

Don't start celebrating yet.
jblank

Post by jblank »

Good news indeed.
"Ju tell yo fren ah keel a communiss foh fuhn...buh foh a green cahd, ah cahrv heem up reel nass"
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Yay! Very good news indeed. Hopefully the next AG will be a hell of a lot better than the last.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

He moves on because his work here is done.
Ashcroft, in a five-page, handwritten letter to Bush, said, "The objective of securing the safety of Americans from crime and terror has been achieved."
Mission accomplished! Does he get a crotch-padded carrier landing?[/url]
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Whew! I'm glad this thread isn't what I thought it was!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

I'm thinking Alan Keyes will get the nod here. :wink:
Black Lives Matter
geezer

Post by geezer »

Mr. Fed wrote:He moves on because his work here is done.
Ashcroft, in a five-page, handwritten letter to Bush, said, "The objective of securing the safety of Americans from crime and terror has been achieved."
Mission accomplished! Does he get a crotch-padded carrier landing?[/url]
Jeebus. What world do some of these people live in? I understand that if you repeat some piece of idiocy long enough some people will start to believe it, but for the love of God - is the man senile????
Lee

Post by Lee »

geezer wrote:Jeebus. What world do some of these people live in? I understand that if you repeat some piece of idiocy long enough some people will start to believe it, but for the love of God - is the man senile????
Bush was on TV saying how great Iraq is going too. I guess I didn't hear the rumor about how the Iraqi army refused to help.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Mr. Fed wrote:He moves on because his work here is done.
Just think, the objective of securing the safety of Americans from a scary attorney general has also been achieved!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Dang, and here I thought Hillary had kicked the bucket. Oh well, Ashcroft was too big a target for the left so I agree he probably needed to go.
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

I can see Louis Armstrong singing "What a Wonderful World" now!

Feel the love. :P
XBox Live Gamertag: Yankeeman84

GO HOKIES!!!

Virginia Tech Department of History
Det. Dave

Post by Det. Dave »

gbasden wrote:Yay! Very good news indeed. Hopefully the next AG will be a hell of a lot better than the last.
He will be, unless they somehow figure out a way to resurrect Stalin.
This is not the sig you are looking for.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Det. Dave wrote:
gbasden wrote:Yay! Very good news indeed. Hopefully the next AG will be a hell of a lot better than the last.
He will be, unless they somehow figure out a way to resurrect Stalin.
Maybe Bush can find a dead guy to be AG. The people have expressed that preference before with regard to Ashcroft after all...

edit: But I wonder if this is true:

According to a senior Justice Department official, though Ashcroft was frequently "attacked and vilified" for allegedly ignoring civil liberties, he was actually the voice of restraint and reason in high-level meetings about the War on Terror, repeatedly insisting the country would be best served by sticking to constitutional principles in its treatment of U.S. citizens captured as enemy combatants. Ashcroft also repeatedly disagreed with the Pentagon on how it was treating the prisoners at Guantanamo, who also did not get lawyers or due process, according to the official.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I thought you dropped the albatross from your team before the election, not after. But ass-backwards seems to be par for the course for President G.W. Bush's administration.

If Ashcroft was the Colin Powell in the Attorney General's office, maybe we have a bigger problem than we thought. Still, I'm not sorry to see him go.

Rumsfeld will be an inevitable casualty of the Iraq occupation, he's out after the next defense disaster that the media won't leave alone.

But it's too bad that VP Dick Cheney will stick around as President G.W. Bush's life insurance policy. It would be hard to find a better security blanket against impeachable offenses and assassination attempts (either domestic or international).
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Zarathud wrote:I thought you dropped the albatross from your team before the election, not after. But ass-backwards seems to be par for the course for President G.W. Bush's administration.
And no one here would have called that a desperation move to stave off Kerry's surging momentum, right?
Ranulf

Post by Ranulf »

Zarathud wrote:I thought you dropped the albatross from your team before the election, not after. But ass-backwards seems to be par for the course for President G.W. Bush's administration.
Only if you absofrigginlutely have to. Otherwise, just wait until it causes the least amount of press.

Anyway, that wack job bastard had to get his last digs in against Oregon.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/11/10/scotu ... index.html

Good riddance.
Kael

Post by Kael »

Tareeq wrote:
And no one here would have called that a desperation move to stave off Kerry's surging momentum, right?
I agree, done before the election it looks like a desperation move to distance Bush from the unpopular policy's he pushed during his term. Done afterwards it looks like Bush has listened to input from the people and is willing to be more moderate.

Now if he would just get rid of Rumsfeld.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Ranulf wrote:
Only if you absofrigginlutely have to. Otherwise, just wait until it causes the least amount of press.

Good riddance.
You know, that's such a load of crap. At least with the abortion debate there's the argument that the life that is being tampered with is unable to defend itself and doesn't really have a say inthe matter. This, otoh, should make it crystal clear that the religious right isn't interested in protectingthe rights of the individual, but rather foisting the ideas of the church on the individual by legal means if necessary.
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people going by
I see friends shaking hands saying how do you do
They're really saying I love you.

I hear babies crying, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll never know
And I think to myself what a wonderful world
Yes I think to myself what a wonderful world.
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
Ranulf

Post by Ranulf »

geezer wrote:
Ranulf wrote:

Good riddance.
You know, that's such a load of crap. At least with the abortion debate there's the argument that the life that is being tampered with is unable to defend itself and doesn't really have a say inthe matter. This, otoh, should make it crystal clear that the religious right isn't interested in protectingthe rights of the individual, but rather foisting the ideas of the church on the individual by legal means if necessary.
Thats how I see it. Nevermind that the citizens of Oregon have voted TWICE on it and passed it both times, nevermind that there are controls on it, not just anyone can get drugs to off themselves, and no one is forcing doctors to do it or agree with it. States' rights only seem to matter when it fits their agenda. Just because some Christians/people believe all suicide is immoral or a sin doesn't mean everyone else does. Perhaps if they had watched a loved one die a horribly painful slow death due to cancer they might be more open minded.