6600GT AGP is here! Yee haw!

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Carpet_pissr

6600GT AGP is here! Yee haw!

Post by Carpet_pissr »

$229 shipped from buy.com...sweet baby.

http://www.buy.com/retail/Product_jump. ... dcaid=1688

http://www.gamers-depot.com/hardware/vi ... gp/001.htm

EDIT: Sorry - I guess this should go in the GENERAL COMPUTING forum - feel free to move mods.

EDIT: They just dropped the price to $219
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Grr. Coulda saved myself $55 instead of shelling out for the 6800. Ah well...
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Why did you link a review to the PCI-X version? A guy at work saw both the PCI-X and the AGP versions of the 6600 side-by-side running the same game on the same hardware, and the AGP version reportedly ran like a slug in comparison.

After he told me this, I gave up waiting for the 6600 AGP and went with a 6800GT.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jeff V wrote:Why did you link a review to the PCI-X version? A guy at work saw both the PCI-X and the AGP versions of the 6600 side-by-side running the same game on the same hardware, and the AGP version reportedly ran like a slug in comparison.

After he told me this, I gave up waiting for the 6600 AGP and went with a 6800GT.
Sorry! Edited link...also found out that if you are a first time customer, you can take $15 off the deal mentioned above (buy.com)

And from Gamer's Depot:

Looking at the benchmarks does prove that performance between the AGP and PCI-E versions is very close, where it’s typically less than a frame or two that separates them. AGP users should look no further for a best-in-class solution for under $200 dollars.
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

I'm all over this one. I'll now updgrade from my 9600XT. :)
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Sweeet!!! Now I can upgrade! DX9 Half-Life 2 here I come! :D
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Actually, all the reviews are listing the price for this card at $199, so I don't know why I am so excited about it being available for $215 from buy.com.

Admittedly it's a lot higher elsewhere (newegg for instance), but I am sure the price will get down to the $200 and below range quickly.
is_dead

Post by is_dead »

Jeff V you sound a bit upset over something... the 6800 might be better but the 6600 is cheaper. The AGP version 6600 is actually faster than the PCIX in some cases.
is_dead
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Although I'm no fanboy for either Nvidia or ATI, because of this card, I am switching from using several generations in a row of ATI cards, back to Nvidia.

If you read the reviews, you STILL see some mention of slightly better PQ (picture quality) for ATI parts, but not nearly as much anymore. Certainly not to the same degree you did a couple of years ago.

And with nothing in ATI's arsenal that comes even close to this price point for the same performance, it's a no brainer for me.
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Although I'm no fanboy for either Nvidia or ATI, because of this card, I am switching from using several generations in a row of ATI cards, back to Nvidia.

If you read the reviews, you STILL see some mention of slightly better PQ (picture quality) for ATI parts, but not nearly as much anymore. Certainly not to the same degree you did a couple of years ago.

And with nothing in ATI's arsenal that comes even close to this price point for the same performance, it's a no brainer for me.
I'm in the same exact boat as you.
animal114

Post by animal114 »

Carpet_pissr wrote:And with nothing in ATI's arsenal that comes even close to this price point for the same performance, it's a no brainer for me.
Does it look to anyone like any of the X700 models would be comparable performance-wise, and has anyone heard of an ETA for the AGP versions ?
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

AFAIK there will be no AGP version of the X700, that the main reason why I decided to go for the 6600 GT AGP. When it hits my dealer.
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

is_dead wrote:Jeff V you sound a bit upset over something... the 6800 might be better but the 6600 is cheaper. The AGP version 6600 is actually faster than the PCIX in some cases.
Not upset at all, just relating a story. Since that comparison took place late in the summer, I'd guess nVidia spent the time correcting the problem. Since the original post didn't originally link to a review of the card, I figured some caution would be in order. It's not as if nVidia hasn't dumped crap cards on the market before (GF4MX anyone?)
ScaryMike

Post by ScaryMike »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

that review clinched it for me...must...have...this...card.

Now where the hell are these sub $200 price points that all the reviews talk about? Someone either changed the MSRP or the early producers are just milking being first out the door with this iteration. Come onnnnnn, eVGA!!