Need partition advice...

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Gromit

Need partition advice...

Post by Gromit »

I have a 200gb Western Digital HDD that I'm getting ready to install Windows XP on. I obviously would prefer not to have one giant partition, but am not sure what size to make the OS partition.

Any recommendations?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Need partition advice...

Post by Zaxxon »

Gromit wrote:I have a 200gb Western Digital HDD that I'm getting ready to install Windows XP on. I obviously would prefer not to have one giant partition, but am not sure what size to make the OS partition.

Any recommendations?
I generally give XP at least 6 GB to play it safe for the long term.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I have a WD 250GB drive. I made a 20GB partition for the OS and made the rest a giant drive.

I install the OS and all my apps to the 20GB partition, all my games go to the 220GB (or whatever is actually left since it's not really a 250GB drive) partition, and all my data goes on an external 160GB drive.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Thanks...that's what I need to hear.

10GB should be fine. :)
Spike

Re: Need partition advice...

Post by Spike »

Gromit wrote:Any recommendations?
10Gb should cover it.

I always have a partition for system (currently 10Gb), a partition for apps (the rest of that 60Gb drive), a separate drive for games (120Gb at least, I split mine to two partitions), a separate drive for "stuff" (120Gb at least, again I split mine) and a final backup to put ghost images of those on (120Gb at least, one chunk) should I wish to.

Some people say I overdo it, but I never have any problems that way. Smaller partitions = easier backups = less pain when it all dies screaming.
"The avalanche has already begun. It is too late for the pebbles to vote." - Kosh
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I just re-did my system with a 160GB hard drive. I gave 30GB to WinXP and the rest to gamez. Apparently I gave too much, based on what I see here. :)
Maybe next year, maybe no go
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I have a 160gb drive. I partitioned it to be 60/100. I put all my apps and games and windows on the same drive. I put files on the other 100 (and some on my external drive). I figure that if I reinstall the OS, I'm going to reinstall the apps and games anyway. I have a friend who only puts windows on his primary partition and then makes a ghost image of it and stores it on his second partition. That way, he can ghost his fresh windows install whenever he wants. I guess I just don't reinstall windows that often.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Gromit wrote:Thanks...that's what I need to hear.

That's my magic OS number, too.

~Neal
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

The Meal wrote:
Gromit wrote:Thanks...that's what I need to hear.

That's my magic OS number, too.

~Neal
Are you sure, Meal? Wouldn't it be better to buy a whole new HD just for the OS?

:P
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Good point. Buy two, in fact, so you can swap them out when you do the reformat-reinstall. Can't hurt to have a 500GB physical drive all alone dedicated to your OS, then another 500GB drive for installations (and a third one for your media and storage needs).

~Neal
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Geez, I only have a 20 Gb disk, partitioned 4 ways: Boot (4), Apps (2), Games (12), Data (2).

Makes backups and defrag easy. I only really have to backup the Data disk (and some small amount of stuff from Games).

Edit: I work on computers all day and still type Mb instead of Gb. :oops:
is_dead

Post by is_dead »

I put everything on C. That way the default directories always work for installation, updates, uninstall, etc. I save probably 5 minutes a week just by always being able to hit Next during updates etc. You can always organize by folders too.
is_dead
Spike

Post by Spike »

is_dead wrote:I put everything on C. That way the default directories always work for installation, updates, uninstall, etc. I save probably 5 minutes a week just by always being able to hit Next during updates etc. You can always organize by folders too.
If you can afford twin drives of the same size it's also superb for backups (especially if you set them up for mirroring). Personally, I use too much space, so only have backups of essentials and a Ghost image of the OS install partition.
"The avalanche has already begun. It is too late for the pebbles to vote." - Kosh
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

is_dead wrote:I put everything on C. That way the default directories always work for installation, updates, uninstall, etc. I save probably 5 minutes a week just by always being able to hit Next during updates etc. You can always organize by folders too.
One of the advantages of partitioning is to keep the highly-accessed physical data at the outer cylinders of your hard drive (where the linear velocities are highest). Additionally if you ever need to reformat, you only need to affect some smaller portion (one partition) of your hard drive while not touching data on other partitions.

~Neal