For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

The Meal

[Imploring, Activism] Bush's Cabinet [Spelling!]

Post by The Meal »

Email received:
Keep special interest lobbyists out of the Cabinet

Dear Environment Colorado supporter,

Since the election, Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman and Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham have announced their resignations from President Bush's cabinet.

President Bush's new appointments will be responsible for protecting our national forests and managing our energy supply.

Please help us shape President Bush's cabinet. To make sure the best and most publicly-accountable candidates make their way into the Cabinet, we're calling on the President to nominate - and the Senate to approve - candidates for these seats with a history of public service, who are free from ties with the corporations they will be responsible for regulating.

To take action, click on this link or paste it into your web browser:
http://pirg.org/alerts/route.asp?id=557&id4=ES

Then, ask your family and friends to take action as well by forwarding this email to them.

Background

We will count on future cabinet members to:

* Agriculture: lead a forest service dedicated to protecting and preserving our national forests, including upholding the historic Roadless Area Conservation Rule, which protect 58.5 million acres of our last pristine national forests.

* Energy: promote and implement energy policy that uses more clean, renewable energy and emphasizes energy conservation, leading the country away from its dependence on fossil fuels and nuclear energy.

Tell President Bush and your senators to keep special-interest lobbyists out of the Cabinet. Then, ask your family and friends to take action as well by forwarding this email to them.

To take action, click on this link or paste it into your web browser:
http://pirg.org/alerts/route.asp?id=557&id4=ES

Sincerely,

Robin Hubbard
Environment Colorado Field Director
RobinH@environmentcolorado.org
http://www.EnvironmentColorado.org

P.S. Thanks again for your support. Please feel free to share this e-mail with your family and friends.
~Neal
[edit: fixed typo in the freaking subject line!!]
gbasden

Re: [Imploring, Activism] Bush's Cabinet [Spelling!]

Post by gbasden »

The Meal wrote:Email received:
Keep special interest lobbyists out of the Cabinet

Tell President Bush and your senators to keep special-interest lobbyists out of the Cabinet.
~Neal
Given that this is the Bush administration, I'd say the odds aren't very good. :)
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

My response: (not to Meal...but in general)

Keep your ****ing blue noses out of my red cabinent.

Thank you.

I'm msduncan and I approve this message.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

If only the red cabinet didn't get up our nose. :shock:
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I do have to say I'm a bit dissapointed with this:
* Energy: promote and implement energy policy that uses more clean, renewable energy and emphasizes energy conservation, leading the country away from its dependence on fossil fuels and nuclear energy.
While I'm all for alternate/renewable environmentally-friendly energy, I think that nuclear is probably the best option we currently have (provided, of course, that safety and security concerns are met) - I don't want to see us moving away from nuclear energy until we have a solid, practical, alternative.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Nade, non-Fossil-fuels are one of my very hot-button topics (and that bullet was my real reason for posting this, to some extent I agree with what msduncan is saying -- why corrupt a cabinet from being a functional team that can accomplish goals?). And while I personally understand the value of nuclear when compared to fossil fuels, ideally I'm all for going the renewable route if its feasible. Nuclear *is* an extremely clean source of energy, all things considered, but despite the incredibly insignificant amount of long-term waste material it generates, there is some portion of contaminated waste that sticks around for a *LONG* time. Short having a long-term solution for dealing with that waste, I'm okay with focusing on the renewables.

The rate at which solar/wind/biomass become cost-effective compared to the fossil fuel alternatives indicates to me that they're becoming extremely viable. The complaints that we're heavily-leaning on fossil fuels only because those business ventures have a lot of political sway is a valid complaint in my book, and considering the advantages to our planet for switching over to the renewables, even at some inflated price (currently) in comparison, I think that change is worth it *today*, and becomes even more of a no-brainer as we develop the technologies and move forward into the future.

~Neal
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

msduncan wrote:My response: (not to Meal...but in general)

Thank you.

Zuh?
Are you saying that all citizens now have to sit idly by and watch Bush do whatever he wants because almost a third of the country voted for him? That's bizarre and wrong.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

My response: (not to Meal...but in general)

Thank you.

You know, it seems that for every call for working to end the divide between us, we get one of these responses (and I'm not singling out one side or another). As RunningMn9 said post-election (as well as others), the key towards healing the rift is making the effort ourselves, not just hoping the people in Washington do. If either side wants the divide to grow, comments like this serve exactly that purpose -- just don't be surprised when the other side isn't as conciliatory later on.

P.S. So I'm assuming there are blue noses allowed in the actual cabinet since that wasn't exactly specified...
CSL

Post by CSL »

msduncan wrote:My response: (not to Meal...but in general)

Thank you.

The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Methinks some people need to get their Humor Analyzers recalibrated.
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
Hrdina

Re: [Imploring, Activism] Bush's Cabinet [Spelling!]

Post by Hrdina »

gbasden wrote:Given that this is the Bush administration, I'd say the odds aren't very good. :)
Given that he ignored his own Secretary of State, I am certain that an internet petition will sway him...