Private messages = a big, wet smackeroo from DD!

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

DD

Private messages = a big, wet smackeroo from DD!

Post by DD »

Thank you, oh eight-legged powers-that-be for the availability of private messages. Much, much easier to work trades and whatnot. You guys rock (or whatever it is that cephalopods do)
Austin

Post by Austin »

Agreed! Me likey PM's.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I wasn't too sold on them to begin with, but I like the way they've turnd out. I'm glad our masters from the deep insisted that we keep them.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I'm digging them too. It's not as unwieldy as e-mail and makes things like trades tons easier.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Unfortunately, the PM feature on phpBB is a tad spartan. Fortunately, phpBB 2.2.0 will include more along this front, feature-wise. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you when it will be out.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Spartan is good. That had Val Kilmer in it, didn't it? :P

It doesn't really need a whole lot more functionality than it has, though. It does what it is supposed to do: send private messages. I'm not complaining.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

It doesn't really need a whole lot more functionality than it has, though. It does what it is supposed to do: send private messages. I'm not complaining.
Friends list, the ability to send PMs to more than one person, and an ignore feature are pretty much must haves I think. The ability to make folders to put stuff might be nice, though not a must have.
knob

Post by knob »

Peacedog wrote:
Friends list, the ability to send PMs to more than one person, and an ignore feature are pretty much must haves I think. The ability to make folders to put stuff might be nice, though not a must have.

I visit another site that has a more up-to-date version of phpBB installed, and it is kind of neat. Some of the features look a little weird, though. It's just something that takes a bit of getting used to. Unless, of course, you disable all of the weird mouse over stuff.

(I'm talking about www.arachnoboards.com , if you're wondering).

But I never did see the use of having a Friends List on a message board. QUICK! SOANDSO IS ON, LET'S HAVE A PM CONVERSATION!

Ignore is kind of iffy. On one hand, I hate the "You pissed me off, welcome to ignore" stuff. On the other hand, it's nice when someone goes too far. (Fortunately, the one person I'd be willing to put on my Ignore list has kept his 'ebon' ass over at CG).
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

They're definitely a good feature. I don't know how much more functionality they need, though. The more features you add, the more complicated they become - and the more like e-mail, thus losing their primary benefit of being a more simplistic form of private communication.

- Ash
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

(I'm talking about www.arachnoboards.com , if you're wondering)[./quote]

Valael, the odds of me clicking on a forum thread in a forum at that site are roughtly 1 in four hundred and sixty-four quadrillion. For the record. I do appreciate your pointing out a different phpBB install, though, and normally I'd gladly check out said forum's features and see how they look.

Having said that. . .
But I never did see the use of having a Friends List on a message board. QUICK! SOANDSO IS ON, LET'S HAVE A PM CONVERSATION!

Ignore is kind of iffy. On one hand, I hate the "You pissed me off, welcome to ignore" stuff. On the other hand, it's nice when someone goes too far. (Fortunately, the one person I'd be willing to put on my Ignore list has kept his 'ebon' ass over at CG).
I'm talking about friends/ignore in the context of PMing only. So that when you type up a pm, you could select someone from a "contact" list (I should have used that word instead of friends). There is no reason not to have that. Ignore would just mean a given person can't PM you. This is not ignore in a "global" context. That's something that has been discussed, but that's an entirely separate issue.

The ability to send a PM to multiple people can be useful. I frequent a forum that uses invision board. The way it implements PMing is ideal I think (and it does the things I've ticked off, plus a few other features I don't really care about).
They're definitely a good feature. I don't know how much more functionality they need, though. The more features you add, the more complicated they become - and the more like e-mail, thus losing their primary benefit of being a more simplistic form of private communication.
None of the things I think we need do that. I'm not sure PMs would become "more like email" though. The only difference between the PM feature and the "email user" feature on this board is where the messages are stored (us, you, respectively). That line is significant in terms of policy, of course. No matter what features are added, that line doesn't go away.

Now, I like the way phpBB does the email user feature, because it keeps the target's email hidden. That said, I think I'd prefer to give people the option to toggle the ability of other people to contact them through email at all. But that's low on the list of things to do (if it can be done at all).
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

Valael wrote:I visit another site that has a more up-to-date version of phpBB installed, and it is kind of neat. Some of the features look a little weird, though. It's just something that takes a bit of getting used to. Unless, of course, you disable all of the weird mouse over stuff.

(I'm talking about www.arachnoboards.com , if you're wondering).
That's not phpBB, it's vBulletin (a fairly popular, but not free, bulletin board system).
ScaryMike

Post by ScaryMike »

When you send a PM, I noticed it goes into your "outbox." How long does it take for the PM to actualy send (and thefore get transfered to your "Sentbox")?

Thanks,
-Mike
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

ScaryMike wrote:When you send a PM, I noticed it goes into your "outbox." How long does it take for the PM to actualy send (and thefore get transfered to your "Sentbox")?

Thanks,
-Mike
I believe it's instantaneous (or close to it), but that it doesn't get moved until the message actually gets opened.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

being able to go 'next' and 'previous', as well as deleting messages while viewing them would be nice. folders would be of a bit dubious value right now, with the inbox sizes being as miniscule as they are.
Rip

Post by Rip »

hitbyambulance wrote:being able to go 'next' and 'previous', as well as deleting messages while viewing them would be nice. folders would be of a bit dubious value right now, with the inbox sizes being as miniscule as they are.
Is that a request to increase the size?
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Rip wrote:Is that a request to increase the size?
not necessarily. they're just small right now, is all.