[CoH] Issue 3 on Test Server

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Terrified

[CoH] Issue 3 on Test Server

Post by Terrified »

Well, I had to get on and create a Kheldion...

WOW! I created one of the good ones (Peace-something?) and it was a blast! Ranged attacks like a defender, defences like a scrapper and so many options. Got myself to level 6 and got the shapeshift ability. Boom, instant blaster. It seemed unbalancing (I could roll over oranges no problem) but then you realize that form is fixed. While you are in that form, you can't ever get defences. (Even your power pools are greyed) So when the levels hit up, these guys will make real blasters look like tanks. But if you have a team with a good controller/tank, it's like recruiting an instant blaster.

And the BIG difference seems to be these guys have Stamina by default! We never seemed to run out of staminal.

To sum up, as my 5 person team (4 Kheldions, one blaster) were rolling over everything that moved, one of the fellows says "This makes getting to 50 worth it!" and I heartily agreed. I wasn't sure if this would keep me in CoH after I hit 50, but now I can't wait.
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

Terrified, I think I read that the Nova form you were talking about gets a boost to endurance recovery.

I don't have a character at 50 but my kids and I saw a bunch of Peacebringers and a couple of Warshades running about various places.

One of the big concerns on the boards seems to be the enhancement slots. When you get the blaster form (and later the tank foorm) it comes with 4 special powers that you only use in that form). As Terrified said, no other powers are available to you in that form. Well counting the base shapeshift power itself, it takes a total of 25 extra enhancement slots to fully slot out a for,, and those are slots that are no good to you while not in that form.

Popular thinking right now is that people won't want t use the frms in the long run because of that.

Thoughts?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So you must be level 50 for this option to open up? Then what happens? How do you create one? Can you make just one or as many as you want?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Terrified

Post by Terrified »

Jaymann wrote:So you must be level 50 for this option to open up? Then what happens? How do you create one? Can you make just one or as many as you want?
Well, this is on test server, so no guarantees when it goes live but...
So you must be level 50 for this option to open up? Yes. You must have a level 50 character for this option to be available. (It IS an epic archtype after all.)
How do you create one? If you have a 50, it appears as on option during character creation.
Can you make just one or as many as you want? On test, it looks like you can create as many as you want, but I've heard rumors when they go live that you will only be able to create one... per server. But they've already said that if you have your 50 on one server, you'll be able to create the epic on any server.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

FWIW, I think I read somewhere that the optional skill system that was coming with this issue has been bumped to Issue 4.

That being said, every new issue for this game makes it more gooder. Three months later, CoH still has my attention.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

I think the skill system could be as far away as Issue 5. They want to make sure they do it right, which works for me.

I could curse the devs though...
I've been on test a bit and seen quite a few Kheldians around. I'm not high enough level to try these guys out, but the choice seems easy for me as to which way to go. Peacebringers get Fly at level 1 vs TP for the Warshades. I love flying. I haven't even tried TP because I figure I'm not coordinated enough to do it well. Moreover, I like being the good guys...the goody-goodies. I'm the guy in your D&D group that plays Paladins and stuff (I know I know). Easy choice, right? Peacebringer all the way for me when I get there.

But then why do the Warshade power graphics have to LOOK SO FREAKIN' INCREDIBLE?
Wow, if you haven't seen them, then they are absolutely gorgeous. Just picture dark powers except they are Violet instead of black.

The Peacebringer effects aren't shabby eiither, but from what I've seen they don't have nearly the oooh factor the Warshade powers do.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

So what is the general state of affairs in CoH these days? I played it for a little while but got bored. I've thought about going back to it occasionally, but I never do.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Peacedog wrote:So what is the general state of affairs in CoH these days? I played it for a little while but got bored. I've thought about going back to it occasionally, but I never do.
I'm a former SWG player - and I got burned out on it. That being said, I play CoH at least 5 nights a week. Maybe an hour at a sitting. Sometimes for two.

I have 7 characters right now and play with two RL friends - we meet up and do missions. We all have 5+ characters so we get to mix it up different ways.

I have yet to get bored with this game - even doing the same style missions over and over, just based on the character variety.

Additionally, they have done a lot cosmetically to the game. The missions now have custom content that add to atmosphere. For example, missions that have a fire boss now are in burning buildings. I did one with an ice boss and there were iced floors - made combat interesting.

I dunno. If you weren't impressed with it earlier, I'm not sure if you'd be won over now. What was before still is. But for me...it's comic book gaming goodness.
Terrified

Post by Terrified »

Smoove_B wrote:I have yet to get bored with this game - even doing the same style missions over and over, just based on the character variety.

I dunno. If you weren't impressed with it earlier, I'm not sure if you'd be won over now. What was before still is. But for me...it's comic book gaming goodness.
What Smoove_B said. I managed to get a character to 50 and I'm still playing this game and enjoying it. Every new 'issue' they've got enough new stuff that I get drawn back to explore new things. But having said that, if you didn't like the game before, you won't like it now. But if you liked it before, you'll probably like it more now.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

I did like the game, I just got bored quickly (I tend to do that with most MMO type games, from Muds to D2 to CoH). Two questions:

Has there been a change in the death penalty mechanics? I always felt it was a bit too severe. I can't remember what level HX9-Avenger was (I want to say 15), but I think he spent over half of his time on the treck from 10 to 15 in debt. Now, part of that was me still learning how to play the character (MA scrapper). Part of it was the occasional really bad group. I always felt more threatened in that game than in WoW (excepting the latter's instances and elite quests), and that death was always a possibility even when I was with a good group. It got frustrating a couple of times when deaths piled up.
The missions now have custom content that add to atmosphere. For example, missions that have a fire boss now are in burning buildings. I did one with an ice boss and there were iced floors - made combat interesting.
Do these things really affect combat? I'd love for environmental factors to come into play, even if it's just in the form of what amounts to a 3e D&D circumstance bonus/penalty. But knowing that your fire blaster is not penalized in a burning building but takes a slight penalty in a frozen area would be pretty neat.
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

Peacedog,

While we'd love to have more people join us in the Wanderers, and while I love the game to death, my suspicion is that if you were bored before, you'll be bored again.

The game is getting better all the time, but fundamentally it is all about the combat. Personally, the combat keeps me entertained for hours on end, but if it bored you before, I don't see where you'd be magically entertained now. Not everybody "gets" the game, and that's ok.

The experience debt has not changed, but in my experience you can usually get rid of debt in an hour or less (sometimes much less). After having played a game with essentially no penalty (AO) I actually like it because people don't tend to be quite as stupid about how they approach things, or at the least, reconsider what they are doing if they get thrashed.

I hear some of the new Issue 3 stuff is really neat. For instance, there are ongoing fights between 5th and Council in Independence Port. If you aggro any of the mobs, they start beating the stuffing out of each other. The new 20-30 zone is also supposed to be great, with more interactive ellements.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Peacedog wrote: Do these things really affect combat? I'd love for environmental factors to come into play, even if it's just in the form of what amounts to a 3e D&D circumstance bonus/penalty. But knowing that your fire blaster is not penalized in a burning building but takes a slight penalty in a frozen area would be pretty neat.
The burning...I don't think so - but I thought the same thing about a fire character getting a bonus or an ice character sufferin.

But as far as the ice on the ground - it absolutlely affects combat. I was fighting a group of skulls and I would stand on the edge of the iced floor. As they would rush me, I would use a knockback power and they would fly back and then slide another 20 feet or so on the ice away from me. It gave me extra time to pummel away. Additionally, if you step on the ice, you slide through a room - which can be bad if it's full of baddies.

As far as death penalties...I don't know if they were changed since you left...but I'm nearly certain the developers are looking for a group death penality - so it's in everyone's best interest to keep everyone in the group alive - which I thought was pretty cool.

The game definately takes some adjustment in fighting style - when I'm with a new character in a new group, I suggest we do some quick street fights to get used to the group dynamic. Figuring it out in a mission is often trouble.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Let me see if I understand.

When you turn 50, you get to make a whole new "epic" character? Anything new and unique for said character, or does it use the same character creation stuff?

Man the pull is starting to hurt now. Perhaps in January or something when I have a wee bit more time.
PR_GMR

Post by PR_GMR »

(The Ant Man lurks in the thread.. not being able to stomp evildoers lately because of that thing called 'real life' sucks.. The Ant Man hopes to return to Paragon City soon) :D
Terrified

Post by Terrified »

Smoove_B wrote:Do these things really affect combat?

The burning...I don't think so - But as far as the ice on the ground - it absolutlely affects combat.
Just FYI, the burning mission means there's thick smoke throughout so you can barely see in front of you. A trivial impact (at best, I think it affects the sighting ranges on the mobs) but it does affect things slightly.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's true - I forgot about the smoke and visibility. It's not nearly as trivial as me forgetting it makes it seem. If you're a blaster, not being able to see very far definately poses challenges.
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

SuperHiro wrote:Let me see if I understand.

When you turn 50, you get to make a whole new "epic" character? Anything new and unique for said character, or does it use the same character creation stuff?

Man the pull is starting to hurt now. Perhaps in January or something when I have a wee bit more time.
Here's the deal. The two Kheldian subtypes (Peacebringers and Warshades) are the first of what might eventually be many Epic Archtypes.

This particular AT (it's really two I suppose, but to me they seem very much to be two flavors of the same thing) is only available if you have one or more characters that have reached level 50. There will be other epic ATs that are unlocked in other ways later on.

These are substantially different from the other ATs. First, they have inherent travel powers at level 1 (flight/tp for peace/war). There is no choice of power sets. Each has one primary and one secondary set, though they have more powers than other sets (16 pprimary, 12 secondary). Furthermore, both types have two forms they can shapeshift into. The blaster form (Nova), affectionately known as the space squid, is available at level 6. While in this form, you lose access to all other powers, but get 4 special powers with boosted damage, acc, end regen. The dwarf form is a pseudo tank available at (I think) level 20. Like the nova form, it has 4 powers unique to it.

My understanding is that the warshades have a bit more in the way of controller/defender powers and the peacebringers have a bit more in the way of damage potential, ut both appear quite strong.
Aliasbuck

Post by Aliasbuck »

but I'm nearly certain the developers are looking for a group death penality - so it's in everyone's best interest to keep everyone in the group alive - which I thought was pretty cool.
:shock:

Oh, please god no. I'm not interesting in getting debt because of the idiot blaster that tries to tank because it's "fun" or because I'm in a bad group (which I leave fairly quickly, but if the group death thing goes in, I'll still have more debt than I would have had).

I'm bad enough on my own - I don't need help getting more debt :lol:
Det. Dave

Post by Det. Dave »

I'm an "idiot" AOE blaster and I have a love/hate relationship with debt. Sure, I die a lot more than the rest of the party, but I take a lot more risks. When the party is really good at aggro management I go beserk. But I'm smart enough too back off a bit whenever I start getting hit too hard. I've been asked on occasion to chill out a bit, but I've got enough experience grouping to tell if I'm generating more aggro than the tank/controller/defender can soak up.

Being a blaster is a thankless job. People expect you to keep damaging the mobs and you can never pump out too much damage. But if you screw up bad things happen. I'm usually the first to die in any group and I deal with it. Most of my SG think I'm a suicidal wacko, but I'm actually a lot more careful than they realize. I rarely die when I solo, but in a group things are a little more dicey.

If my debt gets shared with the rest of the group, it'll probably make me a smidge more careful, but I know that
This is not the sig you are looking for.
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

Det. Dave wrote:Most of my SG think I'm a suicidal wacko, but I'm actually a lot more careful than they realize.
I pretty much think it's safe to say we all do :D
I've quit trying to keep your butt in one piece, I only get annoyed when you refused to stay nearby so I can buff you :LOL:

I don't know where the suggestion of a group debt penalty came from, but I'm on the boards a lot and have never seen anything about that. The uproar over that would be huge. I just don't see it happening.

BTW the new chat system, including cross-server chat and a global handle that covers all your characters hit test today
Gwar21

Post by Gwar21 »

All this talk has made me realize I kind of missed this game, so I've signed up again to see what's changed in the past 3 months. I played this quite a bit for 3 months when it first came out, but I don't think any of my characters are higher than level 15.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

I really miss this game too (as is plainly evidenced by my avatar). But like all online games, it all depends on who you play with. And I was slumming the "seek team" ghetto about 90% of the time. But that 10% where I had SG folks was simply glorious.

And it figures there's a semi revival once I leave. I suppose I'll come back again, I'd love to play with the Wanderers. I'll keep my SG designation though, I love it too much. Plus I'm captain so it's a nice ego trip for me.

The worst part for me was that I finally solidified my final costume and alt costume designs a week before I petered out. Consequently I have very little pictures of it. I really oughta update my final set of pictures to my CoH album.
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

We'd be thrilled to get a few more folks playing semi-regularly with the Wanderers, especially since the ranks have thinned out again due to EQ2 and WoW.

I'm on in the evenings after about 8:30 Eastern (GMT -5)
Send a tell to Inspectre