My car door fell off yesterday.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Giles Habibula

My car door fell off yesterday.

Post by Giles Habibula »

It's been a rough week. First a hot water pipe busted under my trailer, requiring claustrophobic me to drag myself underneath to fix it. Still not entirely certain about my repair job--I hope it's not leaking, but I'm not going under there again. There's not even enough room to roll over under there.

Then last night after work, I open the passenger door of my car to throw my stuff inside and the damn door fell off. Well actually, the lower hinge is still sorta holding it, but the side with the handle went completely to the ground, the corner just missing my foot, because the top hinge just snapped off. Scared the shit outa me. The lower hinge was twisted, but still holding on barely, so I gingerly lifted the (very heavy) other end and slammed it shut...And it actually shut! And you can't even tell by looking at it that anything's wrong with it. I've been driving it around and it doesn't rattle or anything, so I'm hoping it holds together for a while until I can afford to get it fixed. God only knows what that'll cost <shudder>.

For the morbidly curious: It's a 1988 2-door Grand Prix with only 185,000 actual miles. I should just get a different car since this thing runs like crap too, but dammit THIS time the money I saved up for my computer is going to the computer---not the dentist or auto repair shop. That's right. I have a good handle on my priorities this time.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I had an old red car, that when I would go to visit my former girlfriend / now wife, her friends knew I was coming before they could see my car. They would just listen for the clatter and rumbles of my car.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Couldn't you just screw it on and use the other door?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

dbt1949 wrote:Couldn't you just screw it on and use the other door?
My girlfriend kinda would like to get in without sliding clear across the seat.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My first car was a 55 Caddy convertable. I was always locking my keys in so I would unzip the back window and crawl in that way.
Have you thought of greasing the seats so she can slide easier?Or perhaps leaving the window down so you or she can crawl in?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

dbt1949 wrote:Or perhaps leaving the window down so you or she can crawl in?
It's the passenger door. And I did suggest to her the Dukes of Hazzard method of entry. She didn't even smile. :(
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

Giles Habibula wrote:
It's the passenger door. And I did suggest to her the Dukes of Hazzard method of entry. She didn't even smile. :(
Well the solution here is simple. Get a new girl. Next problem.
I <3 :ninja:
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Women............sigh.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Crowley: The Man With Answers That Are Not Neccessarily A Good Idea.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Eel Snave wrote:Crowley: The Man With Answers That Are Not Neccessarily A Good Idea.
Crowley wrote:
Giles Habibula wrote:
Well the solution here is simple. Get a new girl. Next problem.
What's wrong with the Dukes?!
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Giles Habibula wrote:My girlfriend kinda would like to get in without sliding clear across the seat.
I think you're supposed to advise her that the back seat is where you'd really like her to be. ;)

- Ash
knob

Post by knob »

Asharak wrote:
Giles Habibula wrote:My girlfriend kinda would like to get in without sliding clear across the seat.
I think you're supposed to advise her that the back seat is where you'd really like her to be. ;)

- Ash

Indeed. You really ought to lay down the law. Tell her to grease her ass up and start sliding or sit her happy ass in the back.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Valael wrote:Tell her to grease her ass up...
When I finished that sentence in my head it sounded so very different from your version...

- Ash
Tine

Post by Tine »

Asharak wrote:
Valael wrote:Tell her to grease her ass up...
When I finished that sentence in my head it sounded so very different from your version...

- Ash
And I'm sure that saying about duct tape and WD40 got something to do with it... :wink:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Since you drive a Grand Prix, here's one for you.

A friend of mine has a Grand Prix (2 door ca. 1997). His wife drives it mostly. He lives above my local bar.

It was parked on the street last Monday (I think). He came out Tuesday to go to work and found the thing half on the sidewalk with the rear end smashed in at an angle and the front wrapped around a lightpole. From evidence at the scene, some massive SUV or a truck smashed into hit from behind, knocked it up onto the sidewalk and into the pole. Basically he's thinking it's totaled. But a similar thing happened to the same car parked in the same spot a few years ago. $8,000 of damange and the insurance company decided to fix it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Giles Habibula wrote:
dbt1949 wrote:Couldn't you just screw it on and use the other door?
My girlfriend kinda would like to get in without sliding clear across the seat.
It's always the women.