Why do games always ask for disc 1 after install?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Coskesh

Why do games always ask for disc 1 after install?

Post by Coskesh »

Always been a mild annoyance, but what's the point?

Also, the motherboard connections for your case lights & switches, I can't help but think there has to be a better way.
Vesper

Re: Why do games always ask for disc 1 after install?

Post by Vesper »

Coskesh wrote:Always been a mild annoyance, but what's the point?
There's a couple of reasons:

1) Most games require Disk #1 in the drive to play (for CD protection). This just lets you run the game instantly after the install is completed. (Also, without a step like this, the "Play X Game Now" option wouldn't work.)

2) The CD splash screen is still in memory when the install is going on, a lof of the time. Since the EXE was run from a CD, Windows will actually complain/give you an error if you try to quit out of it when the EXE is no longer available. (You'll get one of those system messages that says "Insert Volume XXXXXX in Drive") Making you put the disk back in the drive before this can possibly occur avoids the error.
setaside

Post by setaside »

In other words, blame Microsoft.

:)
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

I get freaking updates everyday from them now.
Spike

Re: Why do games always ask for disc 1 after install?

Post by Spike »

Coskesh wrote:Always been a mild annoyance, but what's the point?
It's a global conspiracy to destroy the self-confidence of Disc 2 and Disc 3. Asking for Disc 1 to be placed in the drive makes it feel special and more important than those other, second class CDs.
Also, the motherboard connections for your case lights & switches, I can't help but think there has to be a better way.
Me too. I always wondered why that doesn't all come in one "big" connector, like the keyboard thing. Sort of a "clip your mobo in, plug this in and away you go" thing.
"The avalanche has already begun. It is too late for the pebbles to vote." - Kosh
Intruder

Post by Intruder »

Behold Far Cry's glory once again:
It wants the LAST cd of the set in the drive.
So CD5 (I think) sits in one of my cd drives at home since I ignore the game right now because of the lame last 1/3th of it.
"Hah! Final level beginning. Serves you right!" ;)
(I think Broken Sword 3 also but I'm not sure).
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

A few games make you use the last CD. Far Cry and FS2004 are two that come to mind right now. It's nice when you go to install the game, but I often forget when I go to put the CDs back in as every other game wants #1.
JayG

Post by JayG »

Not a problem anymore in Europe. The last 5 european versions I brought came on DVD. (Only exception was Vampire, but I brought the American version)
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Windows98 wrote:A few games make you use the last CD. Far Cry and FS2004 are two that come to mind right now. It's nice when you go to install the game, but I often forget when I go to put the CDs back in as every other game wants #1.
I dunno. My FarCry wants CD #1 to play. I just tried #5 and it doesn't work. Was there more than one release of this game?
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
knob

Post by knob »

I don't know if there's any actual difference, but at one point, I had 3 different versions.

One was a DVD with a 64 bit logo that came with my brother's 64bit AMD computer. ANother was a 5 CD set with the 64 bit logo that also came with it. The other was the retail version without any of the fancy logos.

I never actually tested all three to see if there's an real difference, but it was atleast 3 different types of discs.
If I had a sig, would you read it?