What are you listening to right now?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Smoove_B »

Still feeling absolutely crushed by his death. Great album for a rainy Sunday and this live performance is gold.

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The new album from Gggolddd entitled "This Shame Should Not Be Mine" is just...wow. :shock:

The band's frontwoman was raped 17 years ago (when she was 19) and all the guilt, anger, and shame she has suppressed has simply erupted on this album. It's not an easy listen by any means, but one that an intensely personal kick in the gut. Truly stellar.

Not even really sure how to classify the music tbh (electro? dark ambient? emo? darkwave? industrial?), but it's powerful as hell regardless.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Listening to the new Red Hot Chili Peppers album, Unlimited Love. I've been a RHCP fan ever since Mother's Milk way back in '89.

I need to give it a few more listens, but overall my opinion is mixed. It's fantastic to have John Frusciante back, and overall tone reminds me of a mix of Californication and Stadium Arcadium. But I kind of wish they had cut it back to the best 10 tracks or so instead of padding it out with 17. Seems for every song I really like, there's one I skip.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:03 pm Listening to the new Red Hot Chili Peppers album, Unlimited Love. I've been a RHCP fan ever since Mother's Milk way back in '89.

I need to give it a few more listens, but overall my opinion is mixed. It's fantastic to have John Frusciante back, and overall tone reminds me of a mix of Californication and Stadium Arcadium. But I kind of wish they had cut it back to the best 10 tracks or so instead of padding it out with 17. Seems for every song I really like, there's one I skip.
It'd be interesting to know which ones you think are the padders and compare to which I think are weak.
I'll betcha they are not the same.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

20 years ago today, one of the greatest voices in rock & roll history left this world. :(

I still get chills when I listen to this.

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:54 pm 20 years ago today, one of the greatest voices in rock & roll history left this world. :(

20. Fucking. Years.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I was a huge Alice in Chains fan. Owned every album, probably owned every T-shirt they had available at retail. Dirt was the first CD I ever bought. I really, really miss Layne.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

new charity track from David Gilmour and Nick Mason with Andriy Khlyvnyuk of Ukrainian band Boombox

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Big Thief - Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You

if a band absolutely has to release 70's-ish countrified arty folk-rock in this day and age, this is how you do it

(AND it's on 4AD Records, and actually deserves to be)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

David still rocking

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The debut album from NIGHT PALACE, Diving Rings, is really great. Reminds me a lot of Camera Obscura with a dash of Cranberries and Belle & Sebastian.

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Right now, I am listening to world-conquering Korean boy band BTS -- specifically, their live-streamed Las Vegas stadium concert.

I don't love their music (my wife is the BTS stan in our household), but boy do these young men work hard. No opening act -- just them -- and every one of them is in each song. They've been on stage for two hours at this point. It's genuinely impressive.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Jónsi - Tom Clancy's Without Remorse Amazon Original Motion Picture Score

this sounds exactly like 'bombastic-big-budget-modern-military-FPS-title-screen-music' for the most part, but there are some definite Sigur Rós-isms in here.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I'm really starting to get into Marshall Crenshaw.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Swedish psychedelic stoner rock/metal:

Skraeckoedlan - El Monstro

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Last night, wife is at work and daughter requests dance party. She insists on taking control of the remote, then after appeasing me of a dance song or two, she starts putting on Minecraft videos...to which I complain they aren't dance music (and she spends most of the day watching them on the Kindle anyway). Finally, I threaten to put on my music, she says "fine" and throws the remote at me.

Because I felt like relaxing, I put on some Pink Floyd. When my wife comes home 2 hours later, she comments the music is nice, that she likes it. I told her that's who my brother wants to see (well, Roger Waters in July), and she investigates ticket prices and determined she is already off work that night. The cheap tickets are around $100 though, with the better ones in excess of $3000. Now, she's been giving me a hard time over my family never coming to visit, to which I had replied, "well, it's not like I'm making an effort either," citing my brother's interest in the concert (and Gary Numan a few weeks ago) which I both declined. Wife kind of wants to go...but only if my brother finds a date (something I don't think he's done since getting divorced over 5 years ago). I'm guessing we won't be going.
Black Lives Matter
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Saw Spoon last night and had a BLAST. I've got some pictures if anyone want to see them.
Downwards Compatible
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Eel Snave wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:23 pm Saw Spoon last night and had a BLAST. I've got some pictures if anyone want to see them.
I want to see them! One of my favorite bands right now, and the latest album is in constant rotation. Love it, first track to the last. Where did you see them?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

stimpy wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:42 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:54 pm 20 years ago today, one of the greatest voices in rock & roll history left this world. :(

20. Fucking. Years.
Also, this blows my mind. Cannot believe it's been 20 years. I remember seeing the video for "Man in a Box" on MTV and being blown away. I went out and bought "Facelift" and then bought the Singles soundtrack just for "Would." Then, my freshman year in college, "Dirt" released. I can still remember exactly where I was when I first saw that album art in the Sam Goody in the mall near campus.

Could not agree more that Layne's voice is right up there with the best there have ever been. As amazing as Cornell was, Layne Staley was right there with him.

I'm a big fan of Rick Beato's series, "What Makes This Song Great?" He did one on Them Bones that is definitely worth checking out.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Cognizant

Post by Cognizant »

I have to listed to the chorus "in my mind, in my head..." from the song "In My Mind" which is stuck in my mind and I can do nothing about it :o
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Eel Snave wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:45 am I'm really starting to get into Marshall Crenshaw.
Way back when, there was a group of girls I knew. Most of them were lesbians. We were all great friends and hung out socially alot.
One day, this one girl and I were shooting pool when she asked why I never asked her out. i thought the reason was obvious, but I said "do you want to go out?". She said yes. That weekend I took her to see Marshall Crenshaw at a great little club by me, Fitzgeralds.

She absolutely loved it and let's just say I was rewarded handsomely.
He will always hold a special place for me.....
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Kurth wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:21 am
Eel Snave wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:23 pm Saw Spoon last night and had a BLAST. I've got some pictures if anyone want to see them.
I want to see them! One of my favorite bands right now, and the latest album is in constant rotation. Love it, first track to the last. Where did you see them?
Milwaukee, at the Rave! There was some question as to whether or not Britt Daniel was going to have a voice, since he lost it in Minneapolis. He came on stage with water bottles and a cup of tea, but after starting with "Held," he looked over at the keyboard player and nodded, and they ripped it up.
Downwards Compatible
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sentient Horror is one of my favorite American death metal bands. They've got riffs for days, excellent production values (thanks to Dan Swano), and nearly every song hits hard. Their latest LP came out last Friday, and I've been spinning it non-stop.

The new Miseration album is pretty solid as well. I've always liked Christian Alvestam, but wasn't crazy about the direction Scar Symmetry took. Miseration's symphonic brutality is a perfect fit for him.

Kurth wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:44 am I'm a big fan of Rick Beato's series, "What Makes This Song Great?" He did one on Them Bones that is definitely worth checking out.
Thanks for this.
Cognizant

Post by Cognizant »

Coco Jambo - Mr President
one of my favorite songs ever
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Rammstein has a new album. I have heard a couple of tracks from it, thanks to On the Edge

I heard the title track Zet, which was an ok Ballad about war and some such, and then I heard Zig Zag, a classic Rammstein style guitar pounder.

I thought they were saying "tick tock tick tock, du bist kalt" some sort of commentary on social media, but when I saw the video it was actually "zick zack zick zack, du bist alt" and actually about aging. so maybe its me getting old?

Anyway, the video for zig zag is freaking freaky.

Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its pretty much what celebs look like when they get surgery to try to look younger.

And Til is saying tick tock tick tock goes the clock...he even taps at his wrist where his watch would be..talking bout time and getting old.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymon wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:34 am Rammstein has a new album. I have heard a couple of tracks from it, thanks to On the Edge

I heard the title track Zet, which was an ok Ballad about war and some such, and then I heard Zig Zag, a classic Rammstein style guitar pounder.

I thought they were saying "tick tock tick tock, du bist kalt" some sort of commentary on social media, but when I saw the video it was actually "zick zack zick zack, du bist alt" and actually about aging. so maybe its me getting old?
I like your lyrics better.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

No matter how hard I've tried, I've never been able to get into Rammstein.

They're kinda like KMFDM to me, where every song sounds the same and boring.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm detecting some anti-German bias here. :P

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I enjoy a bit of KMFDM, but its selective, and just a bit, like half a dozen songs maybe from the entire discography.

I really like most of VNV Nation.

If I look at this list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... sic_groups

I own discs from more than a dozen of these fine folks.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I wouldn't say I'm a Rammstein "fan" but their self-titled album from 2019 is one of my all-time favorite workout/running albums.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Manilla Road - Touch The Sky (Early Rehearsal)

At first I thought this was just a filler B-side, but I've become obsessed with it.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:03 pm No matter how hard I've tried, I've never been able to get into Rammstein.
When members of Laibach were asked by an interviewer about Rammstein "stealing" from them, they responded: "Laibach does not believe in originality... Therefore, Rammstein could not 'steal' much from us. They simply let themselves get inspired by our work, which is absolutely a legitimate process. We are glad that they made it. In a way, they have proven once again that a good 'copy' can make more money on the market than the 'original'. Anyhow, today we share the territory: Rammstein seem to be a kind of Laibach for adolescents and Laibach are Rammstein for grown-ups."
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

And now for something completely different...

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:18 pm And now for something completely different...

I kinda like this one.
Wonder how the rest of it is.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »