What are you listening to right now?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Isgrimnur »

Goldfinger - The Knife album has been getting a lot of play lately.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:27 am Tonight’s throwback was Slayer.

It’s always been somewhat amazing to me that Slayer recorded about an hour and a half of good thrash metal between 1986 and 1990 (Reign in Blood/South of Heaven/Seasons in the Abyss), and then simply coasted on that for the next 30+ years.
My brother and I have tickets to Riot Fest in Chicago this year and so far the only band announced is... Slayer.

We'll be leaving the fest early that day. I could not possibly give less of a shit about Slayer.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:40 am Goldfinger - The Knife album has been getting a lot of play lately.
Oh wow, there's a name I haven't heard in ages. I loved Goldfinger when I went through my ska punk phase in the mid-90's.

Listened to "The Knife" on this morning's run. About the time I got to "Orthodontist Girl", I realized that this is a genre that may have simply passed me by. :lol: That said, "Who's Laughing Now" definitely had me picking up the pace.

Exodor wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:44 am
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:27 am Tonight’s throwback was Slayer.

It’s always been somewhat amazing to me that Slayer recorded about an hour and a half of good thrash metal between 1986 and 1990 (Reign in Blood/South of Heaven/Seasons in the Abyss), and then simply coasted on that for the next 30+ years.
My brother and I have tickets to Riot Fest in Chicago this year and so far the only band announced is... Slayer.

We'll be leaving the fest early that day. I could not possibly give less of a shit about Slayer.
Well, kinda. Lombardo has already said he's not in, and rumors are neither King or Holt were invited either. So it's more of a Tom Arya-led Slayer cover band.

A quick funny Slayer concert story. I've only seen them once, and it was at one of the "Big Four" stadium shows. While I'm not a huge fan, I did have "being in a Slayer moshpit" on my concert bucket list. We pushed up near the front after Megadeth finished their set to get a good spot. There was this incredibly obnoxious dude standing near us with his very tiny girlfriend. She couldn't have been more than 4'11" and about 80 lbs.

He made sure everyone knew that this was both him and his girlfriend's very first metal concert ever, and that he would "kick anyone's ass" who dared to touch them during the show. Those of us who had been to a few shows tried explaining what was about to happen when Slayer kicked in, but he was having none of it. He continued to tell everyone that he would "fuck them up" if they dared bump into him or his girl when the music started. I guess he just thought everyone near the front of metal shows just sort of...stood around? He made sure we all knew that he was tougher than any of us and would have no problems "taking us all out" if he needed to.

Sure enough, the lights go out, "War Ensemble" starts to rip, and the crowd surges forward. I've never seen anyone look quite as panicked as that dude did in that exact moment.

He and his girlfriend lasted about 30 seconds before asking to get pulled out by security. :lol: :lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:08 am Listened to "The Knife" on this morning's run. About the time I got to "Orthodontist Girl", I realized that this is a genre that may have simply passed me by.
Oddly the topic of Am I Deaf, track 3.
You been talking to yourself again
You haven’t figured out you’re your only friend
You been fightin with yourself again
It’s time to give up
Brush your teeth, comb your hair, what’s left of it
Write a song, see a show, stay relevant
Sing along to The Jam feel young again
Time to live it up

Every time it feels just like I lost it
I realize that my head is just so full of shit
Who gives a damn about the songs your playing, just sayin
Sometimes I feel so old yeah am i deaf or am I just a little left of what they listen to today

Video record every show you see
Sing along but you aren’t here with me
It’s like the whole thing is make believe, not in this moment
At this point no one is listening, after chorus one everything is boring
ADD add Ritalin, is everybody loaded, is everybody loaded

I know I sound just like my dad did to me
Have I found a way out of the misery, music used to make me free, The Who, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys
Does anyone have something left to say
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Gary Numan is coming to town, I'll not see him (for a third time) but I was curious to see what he's been up to. I watched several recent concert videos, and they were both remarkable in that the mixing was terrible -- you could hardly make out the words to the songs.

There's a non-zero chance might go see Devo in May, they are on a farewell tour (IIRC), and my brother expressed interest.
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Even way back then, those who died were justified...

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:46 pm Gary Numan is coming to town, I'll not see him (for a third time) but I was curious to see what he's been up to. I watched several recent concert videos, and they were both remarkable in that the mixing was terrible -- you could hardly make out the words to the songs.
I just bought tix to the Numan/FLA show yesterday. I’m hugely excited about it. His show was unexpectedly one of the best I saw last year. He was absolutely incredible and I cannot wait to see him again.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:14 pm
Jeff V wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:46 pm Gary Numan is coming to town, I'll not see him (for a third time) but I was curious to see what he's been up to. I watched several recent concert videos, and they were both remarkable in that the mixing was terrible -- you could hardly make out the words to the songs.
I just bought tix to the Numan/FLA show yesterday. I’m hugely excited about it. His show was unexpectedly one of the best I saw last year. He was absolutely incredible and I cannot wait to see him again.
He's among the openers for Ministry on a lengthy bill. I've no interest in seeing the other bands, and besides, these days going into the city is such a bother.

This first time I saw Numan was on his Pleasure Principles tour with the Tubeway Army. It was disappointing that his radio airplay never extended beyond Cars. The show I was at was one of them recorded for the Living Ornaments double-live album. He was on Saturday Night Live, doing Cars and Praying to the Aliens (with a bouncy ball text runner showing the lyrics as he sang). It was so long ago that the theater I saw him at (The Granada) has been demolished, an apartment complex built in it's place, and the apartment complex got a complete renovation a few years ago.

I found out today that Devo tickets for May are sold out. I read somewhere this is their final tour.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm enjoying the new Ministry album. I'm not sure it's "good". It's certainly not nuanced. But I'm enjoying it. It sounds the most Ministry of anything I can remember hearing since the Paul Barker era. But... I think it reminds me the most of their poorly-regarded mid-to-late-90s era. Luckily there are things I enjoy about those albums. But what I'm most excited by is the announcement that they're going to record one last album, and Barker's coming back for it. At least, that's what Al claims. They're also supposed to re-record With Sympathy.

I'm also excited to see Gary Numan and FLA (our show is next Saturday). I haven't listened to much Numan from the past two decades and as I was browsing I found I really enjoyed 2018's Savage (Songs from a Broken World). A couple songs are making it onto the set, but to my disappointment, not Ghost Nation.

Unfortunately I'm pretty disappointed by Front Line Assembly's set list, few of my favourite songs made it. It's cool to see a couple songs from Millennium on it though (their divisive metal "sell out" album), but no Liquid Separation. :cry: I was also hoping for something from Caustic Grip.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

We took the kids to see “Fiddler on the Roof” tonight. It had been a looooong time since I’d seen in (probably 30+ years) and I had forgotten just how incredible the music is. “tradition” has been running through my head for hours now.
Sudy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:16 pm
I'm also excited to see Gary Numan and FLA (our show is next Saturday). I haven't listened to much Numan from the past two decades and as I was browsing I found I really enjoyed 2018's Savage (Songs from a Broken World). A couple songs are making it onto the set, but to my disappointment, not Ghost Nation.

Unfortunately I'm pretty disappointed by Front Line Assembly's set list, few of my favourite songs made it. It's cool to see a couple songs from Millennium on it though (their divisive metal "sell out" album), but no Liquid Separation. :cry: I was also hoping for something from Caustic Grip.
Will be interesting to see if the setlist is different for the Ministry-less shows where Numan is the headliner. Hoping both bands get a little extra time. Were seeing them on April 3.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

New Fleshgod Apocalypse track dropped this weekend. Dayum. 😮

Their lead singer almost died in a climbing accident back in 2021. Spent several weeks recovering in the hospital. Hence the theme.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pallbearer announced a new album coming in May and dropped the first single. It's...ok. Far mellower than I would have hoped for, but you can still feel some of that menacing edge creep back in towards the end.

Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

I discovered Tull later in life, and really wish I had seen some of their shows when they were in their prime.

I was only 9 when this one was recorded.

Conform or be cast out!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't know how I only discovered the Menzingers recently, but I've been pretty much playing their entire catalog on spaz repeat over the last month. They're not new, but they did just put out a new album back in October. Maybe it's the Scranton that runs through blood, but it's nice to hear new music that still sounds great when you blast it in your car.

From 2014:

From 2023

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

How can I not give a shot to a band whose 2007 debut album is titled A Lesson in the Abuse of Information Technology?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Something for everybody! :lol:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Decembrists have a new album coming out. A couple of songs are available for download -- Burial Ground and a 20 minute epic, Joan in the Garden. I tried to snag tickets on a radio station today, they are coming in a couple of months, Ratboys, an excellent local band, is opening for them.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Steve Miller's career took an interesting arc as a musician. I liked his early blues-based guitar work. Then he went hippy-dippy in the late '60s. When he achieved commercial success in the '70s I found most of his stuff lightweight and barely listenable. That song is a good example with a four note solo with effects repeated a few times. Good for him that he got a payday though.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Jeff V wrote:The Decembrists have a new album coming out. A couple of songs are available for download -- Burial Ground and a 20 minute epic, Joan in the Garden. I tried to snag tickets on a radio station today, they are coming in a couple of months, Ratboys, an excellent local band, is opening for them.
I saw them 10 years or so ago and they were fantastic. My story about that concert is that we were sitting on the lawn diagonal to this guy that started dancing during the opening song, which we thought was pretty funny. But....and I don't know what drugs he was on....he never stopped. He danced for two straight hours all the way through the encore. Which is kind of impressive considering that a lot of Decemberists songs are not exactly danceable bangers. :lol:

I just found a copy of THE KING IS DEAD on vinyl, which has been out of print since 2015. That's my second favorite Decemberists album behind CASTAWAYS AND CUTOUTS. I love the debut mostly for nostalgia's sake (it was the first time I heard the band), and because it has two of my favorite Decemberists songs "Here I Dreamt I Was an Architect" and "Grace Cathedral Hill."
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:14 pm I don't know how I only discovered the Menzingers recently, but I've been pretty much playing their entire catalog on spaz repeat over the last month. They're not new, but they did just put out a new album back in October. Maybe it's the Scranton that runs through blood, but it's nice to hear new music that still sounds great when you blast it in your car.
They used to play our annual Halloween party every year back in the mid to last aughts.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

95% of nu-metal was crap, but every once in a while an absolute banger came to the surface.

"Whores" by The Deadlights absolutely torches everything in it's path as it kicks out the door.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:19 am They used to play our annual Halloween party every year back in the mid to last aughts.
I think I figured out how I missed them - they appeared in one of the numerous points in my life where I missed most social/cultural things for a few years. 1993-1997; 2003-2005 and then late 2006 through 2008 or so. When there's a movie or book or TV show or concert I've missed, it usually falls in those windows of time. The new album is really quite good. Some of it sounds a little bit like alt-country (like Sun Volt-ish) to me.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This new Weston Super Maim album is just mental, in all the very best ways. Not even sure how to describe it...electro-industrial djent grindcore, maybe? Think Squarepusher meets Anaal Nathrakh by way of Deafheaven.

Chaotic and heavy as hell, but oddly hopeful and strangely beautiful as well.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Recorded 5 days ago. I mean, really.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:40 pm Recorded 5 days ago. I mean, really.

I love that song. I do not love that live version.

The music was great, but Chris' choppy, all-over-the-place vocals were...not great.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think his vocals were excellent, but I can appreciate the disconnect between the recorded and live version. He still has incredible pipes, but I totally get his stylistic choices don't match what you're used to hearing. Maybe this Hootie and the Crowefish song will be more enjoyable? ;)

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im going to add this to the covers thread too.

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Seether, you say?

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:40 am I saw them 10 years or so ago and they were fantastic.
It was probably closer to 15 for me, wife definitely not here yet, and it had to be at least a year before our 2011 wedding. I had bought season tickets for the Grant Park Symphony that year -- it's a free orchestra that plays in Millennium Park, but there are perks, such as guaranteed seating, if you have a subscription. Plus I was feeling philanthropic. Anyway, The Decembrists played a show with the orchestra. It was packed, people were hanging on fences and many couldn't get in. A security guard tried playing tough guy a proceeded to strong arm me out of the theater, but I flashed my pass and he immediately apologized. After the regular set, the blue hairs (most of the people in the seating area qualified) started leaving, the band came out for an encore and to the dismay of security, they invited their fans to move up front to take the place of those who left. Their encore was an extended set sans orchestra with a good deal of their fans up front, I stayed where I was and enjoyed the whole thing.

The only other time I recall a big name band playing a free show (this not with the orchestra) was close to 30 years ago when Grant Park hosted the International Flute Festival. Ian Anderson played as part of the festival, then Jethro Tull did a full set.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

AWS260 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:22 pm Seether, you say?

Veruca Salt was awesome, wish they did more. And they were a local band!
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Live version of Potato Wave recorded on Howard earlier this week. Damn we're old.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Great song.

Always worth a watch as well:

make me fries
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

To this day I only know the misheard lyrics version so that's how I sing along to it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I used to listen to this song a lot when Little B 15.1 was little, but it’s been probably 10 years since I’ve heard it. Sitting on my couch in a quiet house this morning before anyone else is awake, and I find my room just got incredibly dusty.

I don’t listen to much music that I would consider hopeful, but this is just such a wonderful, beautiful song. :)