Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Gedd
Technical Admin

Upcoming Maintenance (10/15/04) COMPLETED

Post by Gedd »

UPDATE: Upgrades complete.

Hello all...

Just wanted to give everyone a head's up that I'm going to be doing some upgrades in the morning and also testing out our backup system to determine the best way for us to make forum backups in the future.

To be safe, I'll be taking the boards down sometime around 8:30 am ET. Downtime should be no longer than 15-20 minutes. It may actually be much shorter, but 15-20 minutes is safe. During this time you won't be able to access the boards, but I can keep you up to date on the status of things on the board's "down" page.

If things go well tomorrow, we'll see the crazy default "edited by" behavior that phpBB has replaced with something that actually lets folks know when posts have been edited. We'll also have the ability to do custom titles again. Finally, there will be somethings added to the admin control panel to make our lives a little easier. :)

By the time most of you read this, you'll see a note at the top of the page in red text regarding the maintenance. This will be my primary means for letting everyone know ahead of time when scheduled maintenance is going to happen. I'm sure no one wants to lose a 10 page post just because the boards shut down right before they hit the submit button. This is my attempt to give you ample time to either get that post in, or hold off until after the boards come back up.

I can't promise that I'll always be able to do the notification, but in most cases I will.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

I am outraged! How could you take down our precious without warn- or...
Okay.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Great timing. That's my I'm-getting-jacked-up-at-the-just-add-cocaine-local-coffeehouse-blendy-place time and also incorporates my drive into work and my first-thing-in-the-morning-dealing-with-work-email time. I shouldn't miss a beat!

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Now what am I supposed to do for those 15-20 minutes? Hmmm?
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Sweet, I'll still be asleep for another hour and a half. Sometimes it's good to be on the West Coast (like all the time! :wink:)
Black Lives Matter
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Hell, I don't wake up until 11am. Have fun fixing everything for all you morning people.
I'm special!
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

Might I offer a small suggestion for the non-American members? :)

Maybe you could also display what GMT zone ET is...I think it's GMT-5, but I'm not sure :D
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Yes, US Eastern is GMT -5.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

GMT+1 here.

You can always look in your date and time properties in Windows to establish your +/- from GMT.

Double click on the time on the lower right of your desktop.
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

Good point regarding the GMT time, it was actually something I meant to do when I put the message up.

Of course I would've gotten it wrong because on the board it's GMT-4 for some reason (DST maybe?) and that's the number that always sticks in my head for GMT.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Gedd wrote:Of course I would've gotten it wrong because on the board it's GMT-4 for some reason (DST maybe?) and that's the number that always sticks in my head for GMT.
Bingo. Daylight/Summer time adds another hour to the UTC/GMT of a timezone.

Finally, being an astronomy nerd pays off!

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Odin

Post by Odin »

Wow - nice job! An outage that actually took the specified amount of time. After playing WoW for so long, I've come to just multiply the specified outage time by at least a factor of 3. Cool!

Sith
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Gedd is a :ninja:. Awesome job this morning. I'd also like to cast my vote for this being the perfect time to do upgrades. The forum went down right as I left for work, and was up again when I arrived. W00t.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Couldn't you have done it later? I need a break from posting. It hasn't been easy trying to keep pace with The Meal.
CSL

Post by CSL »

Dirt wrote:Couldn't you have done it later? I need a break from posting. It hasn't been easy trying to keep pace with The Meal.
Padder
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

CSL wrote:
Dirt wrote:Couldn't you have done it later? I need a break from posting. It hasn't been easy trying to keep pace with The Meal.
Padder
Am not.