EQ2 questions

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Do they still have group experience debt? How is the experience debt/death penalty? I don't like being pimped.
Really you only have three death penalties: a very minor and temporary revival sickness, a very minor XP debt, and equipment damage.

I'm pretty sure group xp debt is gone, and they've eliminated spirit shards so there are no more corpse runs whatsoever.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Death penalties are neglible. I don't even notice them. The debt goes away in about 2-4 encounters or maybe 10 minutes. I have been known to use death as a poor man's port to get across tough zones :), Ferrot im looking at you.
Rendezvous

Post by Rendezvous »

YellowKing wrote: Really you only have three death penalties: a very minor and temporary revival sickness, a very minor XP debt, and equipment damage.

I'm pretty sure group xp debt is gone, and they've eliminated spirit shards so there are no more corpse runs whatsoever.
Group XP Debt is completely gone.
Death penalties now are very, very negligible.

Sadly enough, I love EQ2 and left due to guild drama. For me, it's a very social game and I have a hard time finding guilds/grouping with people (very shy). I got into a guild I had found through a friend on Ogaming, and the people in it actually ruined the game for me for a while because they left such a sour feeling in my stomach.

I'm intrigued by the new advancement system - this went in literally right as I quit the game. But I know I don't want to start a new character on another server and go through all of the lowbie zones AGAIN unless I know there's something good to come of it. As has been mentioned by others, the low zones are just tedious, especially when you're an admitted quest whore like me. I finished so many book quests (these things are the bane of my existence, and yet I cannot avoid them.)

I don't understand SOE's fascination with high-end expansions when their bottom end could really use the help. I know they supposedly reworked the Isle and then some of the newbie zones, but that doesn't help me get through the Ant/TS hump again. Soloing your way through TS is no fun at all.

I didn't come to the thread to pick apart EQ2 - I do love the game and just wish I could still play it. I think I'll stick with GW for now, though. My thoughts are still a bit too jumbled up about EQ2 to think rationally about my experience.
Hulk break lots of things // Everything makes noise when broke // Hank wrong about mimes
Amuller

Sorry Guildies

Post by Amuller »

Hello all,

Victa da gnome here. I just wanted to first apologize for my abrupt leaving. Nothing to do with game or guild. I just had zero time to play as of late.

Lately I have been homesick for a good mmog. Even considered D&D online. Anyways, did I hear correctly? did we change servers? Oasis? I feel the need to kill some orcs...

AJ
Victa -- da gnome

Camping is beneath me. And there isn't much beneath a gnome!
morlac

Re: Sorry Guildies

Post by morlac »

Amuller wrote:Hello all,

Victa da gnome here. I just wanted to first apologize for my abrupt leaving. Nothing to do with game or guild. I just had zero time to play as of late.

Lately I have been homesick for a good mmog. Even considered D&D online. Anyways, did I hear correctly? did we change servers? Oasis? I feel the need to kill some orcs...

AJ
Yep they moved our server over to Oasis, so if you had a character on Stemfont you will find it there now. Or if you would like to make a new one, do it on Oasis. Plenty of guildies have low alts and we all seem willing/want to grp up at any level.
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

Rendezvous, transfer your character over to Oasis and join the OO guild. We are bunch of hard asses, but as long as you do what we say you should be okay. :) Just kiddin'.

I'm a quest whore as well. The book quests are unbelievably long and I made the mistake of buying 20 of those books at once. :( You'd think I could just delete them and move on, but NOOO...

Anyway, come on over to Oasis and have some fun with us.
Rendezvous

Post by Rendezvous »

Josh wrote:Rendezvous, transfer your character over to Oasis and join the OO guild. We are bunch of hard asses, but as long as you do what we say you should be okay. :) Just kiddin'.

I'm a quest whore as well. The book quests are unbelievably long and I made the mistake of buying 20 of those books at once. :( You'd think I could just delete them and move on, but NOOO...

Anyway, come on over to Oasis and have some fun with us.
Never one to refuse a polite invitation. :)
I apparently slipped through under a free transfer. yay!
Hulk break lots of things // Everything makes noise when broke // Hank wrong about mimes
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Book quests bad. I had a quest send me to the library for something or another, and I ended up picking up like 3 or 4 more new book quests. Bad bad bad. :)
yossar

Post by yossar »

How do I become an Artisan? Dude on the island just gave me a note that said to find an Artisan guild. So I went there and the wholesaler told me to get 15 berries. Do I have to do that first? All the recipes take more than the 1 skill point I have.

Oh, I also went to some dude and told him that I wanted to be an artisan that makes magic stuff or something (I had three choices. Outfitter, scribe, and something else).
knob

Post by knob »

No one answered my question.

What's the population post-merge? Is there much of a difference?
If I had a sig, would you read it?
synco

Post by synco »

The Zones have a healthy population without being crowded.
wire

Post by wire »

knob wrote:No one answered my question.

What's the populution post-merge? Is there much of a difference?
No idea...lots maybe.

Yes...every zone has far more people in it then before merge. 30+ people in SH at 9pm pst. So yeah there's a difference.
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

yossar wrote:How do I become an Artisan? Dude on the island just gave me a note that said to find an Artisan guild. So I went there and the wholesaler told me to get 15 berries. Do I have to do that first? All the recipes take more than the 1 skill point I have.

Oh, I also went to some dude and told him that I wanted to be an artisan that makes magic stuff or something (I had three choices. Outfitter, scribe, and something else).
I think this is a bit unintuitive, but you actually have to "hail" the merchant in the tradeskill area. You can right click and choose hail. I suppose that gets you used to right clicking, since there are many things you have to right click on in order to get the option to interact with it but it took me forever to finally realize that is what I had to do.
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

I was going to check out the fetish ui mod, but I must be getting old or the lack of sleep is finally kicking in. I cannot seem to figure out the eq2interface site. :(

What am I supposed to download and is there a description and screen shots on what it changes?
yossar

Post by yossar »

Josh wrote:I think this is a bit unintuitive, but you actually have to "hail" the merchant in the tradeskill area. You can right click and choose hail. I suppose that gets you used to right clicking, since there are many things you have to right click on in order to get the option to interact with it but it took me forever to finally realize that is what I had to do.
It's so weird that on some merchants, left clicking will bring up the shopping screen and starts a conversation, and some you have to hail with the right-click menu (bankers are always like this).

Anyway, overall I thought Newbie Island was very well done and enjoyed the first 7 levels in EQ2 a lot more than WoW. But after that the two seemed pretty similar, with EQ2 having better graphics, a whole hell of a lot more Fed-Ex quests in the first town and WoW being more polished. But I only made it through about the first 15 levels in each game. I take it that EQ2 has become more WoW-like with each patch?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I take it that EQ2 has become more WoW-like with each patch?
Definitely, but in most cases it's been a good thing. A lot of the things they changed to be more WoW-like were just poorly implemented in the first place and should have been changed even if WoW never existed.

I am glad that they've tried to keep the game's "identity" intact, even as they make it more player friendly. They're not trying to BE WoW, they're just taking cues from it on ways to make EQ2 more fun and less tedious. It's really made the game much more enjoyable, without making it a clone.
Roguetad

Post by Roguetad »

My highlights from last night (in chronological order):

- Yossar was nice enough to join up with me to lay waste to a bunch of gnolls. Surprisingly, even though my faction with the gnolls “couldn’t possibly get any worse”, they seemed to enjoy chomping on Yossar. They didn’t seem to mind the “Hunter of Gnolls” tag floating above my avatar, and actually seemed to prefer Yossar’s tasty calves, ankles and shins.

- Rittch and I murdered some innocent bears, discovered a Stargate powered by Sleestack crystals, and fought some feisty trees that gave us flashbacks to daoc, except they didn’t “Arrrgh Matey!” and nuke us like the pirate trees of old.

- Josh showed up to help us track down an elusive quest npc, and brought his Kato-like ambushing scarecrows with him. About the time Ritt and I were going to lay down the pain on Josh’s violent scarecrows, they ran off back into the farming fields of death. Josh also witnessed the Stargate with us, and we all stared at it together with awe and confusion.
yossar

Post by yossar »

Roguetad wrote:- Yossar was nice enough to join up with me to lay waste to a bunch of gnolls. Surprisingly, even though my faction with the gnolls “couldn’t possibly get any worse”, they seemed to enjoy chomping on Yossar. They didn’t seem to mind the “Hunter of Gnolls” tag floating above my avatar, and actually seemed to prefer Yossar’s tasty calves, ankles and shins.
Yeah, if I had taken gnolls as my racial enemy I could understand but I picked orcs. Can't we all just get along?
BrianE

Post by BrianE »

I'm planning on rolling up a PvP character and I'm wondering where I can find those of you that do too...I'll be on a US, Non-Exchange server but haven't decided on Good or Evil...anyone else trying it out?
wire

Post by wire »

BrianE wrote:I'm planning on rolling up a PvP character and I'm wondering where I can find those of you that do too...I'll be on a US, Non-Exchange server but haven't decided on Good or Evil...anyone else trying it out?
I doubt I'll be heading over to the PvP server. I'm too busy trying to get my lvl 40 up high enough to enjoy the Desert of Flame expansion I purchased months ago and have yet to see. Now they want me to buy an expansion almost exclusive for lvl 60+ by throwing in this new achievement system? I think I'll be saving my money...
yossar

Post by yossar »

What the heck do I do with all my crap? I can easily fill up my entire inventory with crafting materials and then I don't have any room to pick up anything else. There's the bank and I could buy slightly bigger bags, but that's still not going to help quite enough.
morlac

Post by morlac »

You must buy boxes, not bags if you plan on crafting. Fill up your bank slot with 10-12 slot boxes and have at it.
wire

Post by wire »

yossar wrote:What the heck do I do with all my crap? I can easily fill up my entire inventory with crafting materials and then I don't have any room to pick up anything else. There's the bank and I could buy slightly bigger bags, but that's still not going to help quite enough.
I'm sure one of us higher levels will be happy to give you some coinage so you can buy boxes for your bank. Buy the 12+ slot boxes and while you're at it get 10+ bags for your inventory.

If you don't plan to craft or just need a specific component (like food items if you plan on being a provisioner) delete the stuff you don't need.

When selling loot items you will find certain merchants in your starting zone sells for better prices than others. For instance in Greystone the best merchants to see to are the bowyer (next to the mailbox) and the armsdealer (i think...the big buy straight in from the door) in the weapon/armor shop next to the bank. Every little silver and copper counts.

Just an FYI for those of you new. The sparkly question marks (?) you see floating around in the adventure zones can drop some very lucrative items. There are some cracked bones that sell well over 20-30 gold each. Some are in the 10-20 gold range and some under 10 gold. Selling those in your apartment vault can really help you.

As for the apartment vault (you right click on your door from inside your room). Buy yourself a couple boxes and put in the two vault slots...fill those up with collection items and such. Check on the market to see what others are selling the items for and price accordingly.
yossar

Post by yossar »

wire wrote:I'm sure one of us higher levels will be happy to give you some coinage so you can buy boxes for your bank. Buy the 12+ slot boxes and while you're at it get 10+ bags for your inventory.
So I could stick (for example) an elm strong box in each of my bank slots? That would help a lot indeed.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Yeah man just ask, Bartok is happy to help everyone. Ive got all my chars twinked out and 5 plat burning a hole in my pocket so let me know what ya need and its as good as done.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
Tao

Post by Tao »

One of my characters can craft 12 slot boxes, which Im willing to do for anyone in the guild. No payment necessary althought a donation of the materials needed would be greatly appreciated and save alot of time.

Maple Strongboxes require something like 6 pieces of Iron and 4 pieces of maple.

I can also do 8 slot backpacks(10% weight reduction), again a simple donation of 2 sullied average pelts, 4 tubers and 4 iron per backpack would be greatly appreciated.

All materials can be collected in Antonica or Commonlands.

Also if you find any Sisal root in Atonica or Commonlands I can use it to make +9 Hex dolls for you.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
wire

Post by wire »

I guess to appease us for all the server outages this week they are doing another bonus experience weekend.

Find yourself a good group and hit some good adventure areas :)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Boo. The bonus XP weekend is only for people below Level 60. I'm a victim of l33t discrimination!

OMG U fking n00b5 R rooning 3v3ryth1ngz!!!!!!!!!!
Rendezvous

Post by Rendezvous »

YellowKing wrote:Boo. The bonus XP weekend is only for people below Level 60. I'm a victim of l33t discrimination!

OMG U fking n00b5 R rooning 3v3ryth1ngz!!!!!!!!!!
L0LZ! I gt teh b0nu5 xpz n u dun!!

..crap. I think I just broke my brain. Medic!
Jafisob

Post by Jafisob »

wire wrote:
yossar wrote:What the heck do I do with all my crap? I can easily fill up my entire inventory with crafting materials and then I don't have any room to pick up anything else. There's the bank and I could buy slightly bigger bags, but that's still not going to help quite enough.
I'm sure one of us higher levels will be happy to give you some coinage so you can buy boxes for your bank. Buy the 12+ slot boxes and while you're at it get 10+ bags for your inventory.

...snip some darn good advice
I am a relatively new OO'er on Oasis. My character Omoz(20th level Fury) could definetly use some containers of some type. I don't want to beg but if someone is offering I would appreciate some container help be it with containers or the coinage to purchase them.

I am trying to follow Wire's advice on auctioning the ? items but I have had no luck yet.

By the way. I am having a great time in EQII so far and a great time on Oasis. I invited two of my RL friends over and they got invited to OO.

EQII has some good features and now that they have de-pimped(made up word) it I am enjoying it. No more group exp debt or chasing soul shards. Evidently they have also made crafting less annoying.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Next time I see you I'll hook you up. :)
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

I'm having a heck of a time grouping. Especially, if I don't want to grind. That guild group we got together the other day was such a blast, I'm feeling a little lonely soloing anymore. :) I think this is probably the disadvantage of having a solo friendly environment. I'm also realizing my Ranger is not a great solo artist. I watched a fury solo things that would have killed me. 50%+ of my attacks rely on not being the tank, and I don't have root so when tanking (and soloing) I'm just that much less effective.

Even my new Templar is not having an easy time of it. "Anyone want free healing?" <crickets> I just don't get it.

I actually accepted one of those out of the blue invites yesterday. Last time I do that. The tank was obviously spending about 25% of his attention on the game and the rest doing something else. I bailed after the 4th time waiting for him after everyone was ready. Of all the irritating group factors, not paying attention is probably the one I hate most.

Anyway, we seem to be getting a bunch of people in the guild now, so I'll try starting some alts and get them to levels so I can group with guild mates. A few more levels on my Templar and I'll be able to help several of us out, and I'm finding the Templar quite fun to play.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I am a relatively new OO'er on Oasis. My character Omoz(20th level Fury) could definetly use some containers of some type. I don't want to beg but if someone is offering I would appreciate some container help be it with containers or the coinage to purchase them.
As mentioned earlier I can craft Maple Strongboxes (12 slots), not the greatest but Im willing to do them for free. The needed materials are Iron and Maple which are harvested in Antonica, my only request is that the individual supply the materials. You can drop stuff in the guild bank and send an in game email to Taofan letting me know or just catch me in game. I can also do 8 slot backpacks for the same deal, 2 sullied average pelts, 4 tubers and 4 iron per backpack would be greatly appreciated.
I'm also realizing my Ranger is not a great solo artist. I watched a fury solo things that would have killed me. 50%+ of my attacks rely on not being the tank, and I don't have root so when tanking (and soloing) I'm just that much less effective.
Give it another level or two Rangers are actually very effective soloers due to their outstanding DPS. Even with the new progression system most classes still dont really come into their own until around level 20 or so.

Templars on the other hand are probably the worst solo'ers in the game and remain that way for all 60(70) levels.
If your looking for a strictly solo type class as an alt I'd recommend a Fury or Necro/Conjuror. Monks are half way decent soloers as well. In all cases you simply need to be more prudent when picking your targets when solo.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Rendezvous

Post by Rendezvous »

Tao wrote:
Templars on the other hand are probably the worst solo'ers in the game and remain that way for all 60(70) levels.

If your looking for a strictly solo type class as an alt I'd recommend a Fury or Necro/Conjuror. Monks are half way decent soloers as well. In all cases you simply need to be more prudent when picking your targets when solo.
While I definitely agree on the Necro/Conjuror being very strong soloers, I have to take issue with you saying that Templars are the worst.

I've basically soloed my templar up to 39 (with a couple of groups for HQs) doing quests. I'll admit it's slow as all hell and not optimal, but it's nowhere near as painful as it would be with, say, an illusionist or a coercer. Very slow, but very safe.

If you're looking for speed soloing, then yeah you do want to stay away from the Templar. Necro/Conjuror all the way.
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

Tao wrote:Give it another level or two Rangers are actually very effective soloers due to their outstanding DPS. Even with the new progression system most classes still dont really come into their own until around level 20 or so.
I'm level 32 now, are you saying I'm going to get something soon that makes it better? The only thing I can think of that would make the ranger solo better is root. I guess what I'm saying is when I'm grouped I have the stealth attacks, plus the bow attacks, which other than the initial pull are not usable when I'm soloing. Picking targets is fine, but I can't reliably take green ^^^ mobs, which I know other classes can since I watched that fury do it. And I think the Ranger is great in a group. I can dish out some decent damage when I'm not the tank but since I'm finding it difficult to find groups, I'm not using the classes full potential.

Unless I'm missing some skill that allows me to use the stealth and bow skills when I'm soloing. I can use 1 of the stealth attacks, but it is slow and combersome to use since I have to stop attacking before I stealth in order to not unstealth on auto damage. At least I think that is the problem, maybe they are just seeing through the stealth.
I started the Templar for grouping only. I've heard they are slow solo.
wire

Post by wire »

This just in...
Due to popular demand, we'll be extending the Bonus Adventure Experience until Thursday morning!

Ryan "Blackguard" Shwayder
Official EQ2 forum
Tao

Post by Tao »

I have to take issue with you saying that Templars are the worst.
Since I do not personally have a Templar character I cannot effectively argue the point. I will however point you towards the many forum posts on various sites discussing the merits and downfalls of the Templar class which give every indication they are the "worst" solo'ers in EQ2. Obviously your experience has differed.
I'm level 32 now, are you saying I'm going to get something soon that makes it better?
Josh, It seems I confused your post with someone elses and thought you had just hit level 20, hence my comments. That being said at level 32 you should be pretty effective at solo'ing. Rangers can do very large hits with their bow, you may only get 2 or 3 off before the mob closes but in that short time you should be able to take 1/4 to 1/2 of its life down. Rangers also get several "ranged Melee" attacks. Basically these are attacks that allow the ranger to stand a substantial distance from a mob and use their melee weapons. As a ranger you will also need to learn to chain your attacks. For instance rangers get an attack that hits the mob then instantly drops the ranger back into stealth. So an attack chain might be:

Stealth up--> Use big stealth attack on mob-->Use attack that re-stealths you --> use 2nd lesser stealth attack on mob --> Use Stun attack and slide/spin behind the mob--> Use flanking/Back attack on Mob -->rinse and repeat as necessary.
You could also start out using your big bow shots and skip right to your re-stealth attack then use your big stealth hit etc. There are quite a few options and variations. Also its important to keep your weapons and armor upgraded, at level 32 you should be looking to purchase the level 30 Crafted Legendary Imbued armor and weapons if you have not already done so.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Josh wrote:I'm level 32 now, are you saying I'm going to get something soon that makes it better?
Pssst. Ask the 54 ranger for pointers. :P
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

Alright, I've got my missing link. Thanks guys for the help.

And for as much grief as I got on the chat awhile ago, really my weapons were the only really poor thing. Everything else wasn't too bad. :)

I need to gain a level for my new weapons and then I'll see if I can take on a green ^^^ solo.
Spiff

Post by Spiff »

Just wanted to pop in and say how great the OO guild is. I'm not totally MIA.

I rolled a new toon (a pally) and wanted to compare him to the conjuror I had earlier. The conjuror did more damage, but he couldn't live to save his butt. This new guy is ALOT more fun. I can take on more than 1 MOB nad actually have a chance at surviving.

I'll give you guys a shout tomorrow night about adding my new guy. He hit 27 last night, and I think I'll be keeping him. He seems to level alot faster than my conjuror, and is more fun for me to play. I like wading into the middle of something I have no business trying to do, and coming out by the skin of my teeth instead of rezzing at the closest station. :wink:
"Some people never find it, some only pretend; but me, I just want to live happily ever after every now and then."