2024 Fundraising - $1192 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Brad Wardell interview

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Brad Wardell interview

Post by Daehawk »

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/inter ... 11666&rp=1

I like his views on piracy and copy protection.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Wardell sucks!

I just thought I'd save Kobra the trouble :)
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

Grifman wrote:Wardell sucks!

I just thought I'd save Kobra the trouble :)
Good interview. I have great expectations for this game.

And a certain someone's headed this way to quash any positive GalCiv vibes.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Kobra

Post by Kobra »

Good interview, but it does use DRM as defined most places. A quick glance over to the GalCiv2 forums, and you'll see it does, and has been under testing for a few months. (and not without its problems)

Dialing home to verify owner on installation, is DRM.. Call it SSD or whatever you want, it is still DRM with another name.
rhinohelix

Post by rhinohelix »

Whatever it is, its a f*&kload better than...

Rhino
Stars swelled to dawns, and dawns burst into fountains of gold, carmine, and purple, and still the dreamer fell.
Queequeg

Post by Queequeg »

Kobra wrote:Dialing home to verify owner on installation, is DRM.. Call it SSD or whatever you want, it is still DRM with another name. A quick glance over to the GalCiv2 forums, and you'll see it does, and has been under testing for a few months. (and not without its problems)

According to everything I have seen, the retail version has no copy protection whatsoever. If you want updates, patches, and any additional content, you have to install and log on to Stardock Central.

From my own experience: I've been a Stardock Central member for 4 years and a TotalGaming.net member since it went online. I've never had any issues with downloading games or installing them. It is a great service and works as advertised. I was in the GalCiv2 beta and never had issues getting the game installed or running.

I am really looking forward to the full release. It would be a nice bonus if they release a multiplayer add-on, but in no way a deal-breaker for me. GalCiv I had superb AI and from what I've seen and played the GalCiv 2 AI will be even better. I'm looking forward to the new Metaverse. Maybe we can get an OO Empire setup.
Playing: Guild Wars, Bioshock
Kobra

Post by Kobra »

I really liked Totalgaming before they moved to the token system though. It was a great value before, not so great now, as many games they sell for $20-40, you can find in the bargain bin at many stores.

Also, I don't like having to install ANOTHER frontend to get yet another game. These guys need to work out some kind of central shared delivery system and come to an agreement.

SDC is annoying in that it installs processes on your machine that DO NOT need to be running to use the service. \program files\common SDCMP.EXE or whatever, rename it to "Blah.exe" and kill the backend web process it runs. I still run SDC fine with all of the backend stuff killed off.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Kobra wrote:Good interview, but it does use DRM as defined most places. A quick glance over to the GalCiv2 forums, and you'll see it does, and has been under testing for a few months. (and not without its problems)

Dialing home to verify owner on installation, is DRM.. Call it SSD or whatever you want, it is still DRM with another name.
I'm with Kobra on this one. Stardock's "SSD" is still a form of DRM. It's no Starforce or SafeDisc (or Steam) but it's still DRM.
Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?
Brad Wardell

Post by Brad Wardell »

Kobra wrote:Good interview, but it does use DRM as defined most places. A quick glance over to the GalCiv2 forums, and you'll see it does, and has been under testing for a few months. (and not without its problems)

The retail version of Galactic Civilizations II has no copy protection whatsoever. No activation. No dial home. No CD check. Nothing.

The BETA of GalCiv II via Stardock Central does require that the user use Stardock Central. But as anyone can verify, it's not DRM as normally considered, it passes the key gamer's test IMO: You can install it on your PC and laptop and other computers. If you upgrade your computer two years from now, you can reinstall the whole thing and not be hassled.

But I think most people would agree that any system that allows you to download a full game as essentially a big ZIP file is going to want to verify who you are. That's hardly DRM as most people know it.

And for those who object to even that, there's the boxed version that has nothing at all.
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Brad, now that we have you here :wink:, would you address the question of the contents of the boxed versus the downloaded versions of GalCiv2? I posted the following in another thread:
From the GalCiv2 site:
All users who pre-order it will get extra content: Additional ship components, the Galactic Civilizations Desktop and more. Players who purchase the retail pre-order (either direct or pre-order it from retail) will get the special pre-order package which includes a fold-out tech tree and other goodies
Sounds like all who pre-order either download or retail box get the extra ship components and the Theme. Additionally if you pre-order the retail box version you also get the fold-out tech tree and other goodies. Obviously the download version doesn't come with the fold-out tech tree or (also obviously) a printed manual, although I haven't heard what kind of printed manual you get in the box.
I've already pre-ordered :), but I thought it would be worthwhile for others to have this cleared up. If I pre-ordered from EB Games, is the retail box from them the same as ordering the retail box from Stardock?
Brad Wardell

Post by Brad Wardell »

Hi!

Boxed version pre-order same as electronic pre-order regardless of where purchased except for two things that I'm aware of:

1) The boxed version has the tech tree poster.

2) The pre order boxed version has a fancier box.

If it were me, I'd buy it from wherever is most convenient for you.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

I preordered GCII and got the public beta. Bought a new computer after that. All I had to do was uninstall it from the old one and then do an install on the new one.

FWIW I also own GC and never had any problem with the updates from Stardock.
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Elmo wrote: FWIW I also own GC and never had any problem with the updates from Stardock.
I'll second that. I did have a little difficulty at first because I had the orginal boxed game then got the "gold" version and the Stardock system got a bit confused when I tried to log on, but that was fixed easily enough. After that there was no problem as all with updates.

And thanks for replying Brad :). I like the fancier box, btw, so I'm getting that.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fancier box? Is there pics of these different boxes? Im a collector so boxes matter to me.
Brad Wardell

Post by Brad Wardell »

Daehawk wrote:Fancier box? Is there pics of these different boxes? Im a collector so boxes matter to me.
Let me look (digs through network).

Okay below is a link to a mock up of it. It doesn't really do it justice because the actual physical material is really shiney metally (is that a word?). But you can see the design at least. It's a cleaner design overall.

http://www.stardock.com/temp/gc2daehawk.png
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Brad Wardell wrote:Okay below is a link to a mock up of it. It doesn't really do it justice because the actual physical material is really shiney metally (is that a word?). But you can see the design at least. It's a cleaner design overall.

MY EYES!!!! MY EYES!!!!! IT'S SO SHINEY!!!!!! :shock:

I hope this the one my local EB will be have on hand on the 22nd. Looks nice :)
naednek

Post by naednek »

Brad Wardell wrote:
Daehawk wrote:Fancier box? Is there pics of these different boxes? Im a collector so boxes matter to me.
Let me look (digs through network).

Okay below is a link to a mock up of it. It doesn't really do it justice because the actual physical material is really shiney metally (is that a word?). But you can see the design at least. It's a cleaner design overall.

Daehawk you're famous!
Brad Wardell

Post by Brad Wardell »

I know Walmart just ordered several thousand of the Collector's Edition version so it'll definitely be there. EB is supposed to have it as well.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Man I need a bigger monitor 8-)

Thats a sweet box. Im glad you went the KISS route with it. Over-the-top box art can sometimes detract from an otherwide great game. Sounds stupid but its true. Sometimes I wont even pick up a box to read it because of the artwork it sports. Unless I know about the game beforehand that is.

I live at Wal-Mart it seems. Im actually heading there in a few minutes. Ill have to look back at what Brad posted earlier about contents so I know where to buy my version from.
Daehawk you're famous!

I cant wait on those royalties to start flowing in.
*Runs off to write his 'to buy' list*
:P :lol:

Thanks for the link to the box Brad..er Mr Wardell :)
Lee

Post by Lee »

Brad Wardell wrote:I know Walmart just ordered several thousand of the Collector's Edition version so it'll definitely be there. EB is supposed to have it as well.
Wait, I am confused. Do I need to pre-order or not to get the extras. Can I just walk in to Wal-Mart and release day or do I need to pre-oder from someplace. And if I need to pre-order, who through?
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Brad Wardell

Post by Brad Wardell »

You have to pre-order to definitely get the extras.

But it appears Walmart might be stocking some of the collector's edition too but it'll be a while supplies last kind of thing.
Stomach Contents

Post by Stomach Contents »

Is there going to be a demo?
Kobra

Post by Kobra »

Stomach Contents wrote:Is there going to be a demo?
http://frogboy.wincustomize.com
(changed link to reflect the business blog, not the insane ranting one)

"There's no rationalizing of it at that point, especially with the demo due out shortly after release."
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Kobra wrote:
http://draginol.joeuser.com/

"There's no rationalizing of it at that point, especially with the demo due out shortly after release."
Wow, that's an amazing blog. Very well written and full of interesting information on game design and computing in general, beside the GalCiv2 stuff of course.

Damn, now I'm really looking forward to the this game.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

I noticed this screenshot from that posted blog. Take a look on the left side of the screen, at the name of already-designed ship sixth from the top. :D

- Ash
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Asharak wrote:I noticed this screenshot from that posted blog. Take a look on the left side of the screen, at the name of already-designed ship sixth from the top. :D
And the one under it.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Samurai

Post by Samurai »

I've still got a few best buy gift cards, looks like this would be a good thing to spend them on. :D
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

Roscoe wrote:
Kobra wrote:
http://draginol.joeuser.com/

Wow, that's an amazing blog. Very well written and full of interesting information on game design and computing in general, beside the GalCiv2 stuff of course.

Damn, now I'm really looking forward to the this game.
Yes, there's some interesting reading on GalCiv2 and it's interesting whether or not you're going to get the game because it's about behind-the-scenes coding, marketing, reviews, AI development, etc. Even if I weren't interested (and I am) in GalCiv2 it's fascinating stuff. Probably as an engineer and MBA, I am just inclined to find these details intriguing whether it's GalCiv2 or desklamps manufacturing or calendar designing or whatever. http://forums.joeuser.com/Forums.aspx?F ... AID=100112
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Agree with you. I've been an engineer for almost thirty years working with both applications and systems software (I'm now that guy you come present to when you need to make changes to approved software :wink:). The process has always been fascinating to me, which is probably why after almost three decades I haven't chucked it all to go tend bar somewheres.
Kobra

Post by Kobra »

Its a good blog.. Until he posts about politics and religion.. Then it all goes to shit pretty fast.. Still puzzling why a CEO would open himself up to hatred and attacks by posting such divisive junk.

:shock:
JayG

Post by JayG »

I don't know, I think it's pretty cool. A lot of creator's discuss their beliefs in their blogs, though most of the time they tend to be liberals. It's always interesting to read what intelligent people have to say. I hope Stardock actually manage to get some funds from their game this time.
Brad Wardell

Post by Brad Wardell »

Kobra wrote:Its a good blog.. Until he posts about politics and religion.. Then it all goes to shit pretty fast.. Still puzzling why a CEO would open himself up to hatred and attacks by posting such divisive junk.

:shock:
Because I can, Bob. No one forces anyone to read my "divisive junk". It's a place where I can express my opinions. Those aren't syndicated out to our games sites or anything, people have to go looking for it.

I also have my http://frogboy.wincustomize.com one which is strictly business.
Kobra

Post by Kobra »

My name on this forum is "Kobra", not Bob, Jeff, Ted, Biff, or whatever else. You can assume since this is my forum name, that it is the name of choice fo r me on this forum. Just as I can assume that since you don't post your home phone number in your profile, that you probably don't want people to know it!

We each have our own accepted form of anonymity here, and that should be respected by all members.

Thanks.

Edit: Thanks for posting the business one, so I can avoid the one filled with bullshit.
Brad Wardell

Post by Brad Wardell »

Kobra wrote:My name on this forum is "Kobra", not Bob, Jeff, Ted, Biff, or whatever else. You can assume since this is my forum name, that it is the name of choice fo r me on this forum. Just as I can assume that since you don't post your home phone number in your profile, that you probably don't want people to know it!

We each have our own accepted form of anonymity here, and that should be respected by all members.

Thanks.

Edit: Thanks for posting the business one, so I can avoid the one filled with bullshit.
That's fine, Kobra. And all I ask in return is the same level of respect.

BTW, I don't have the capability to respond to PMs here for some reason. It says I don't have access. I had previously sent email to your old email account which I'm not sure works or not.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Kobra wrote:My name on this forum is "Kobra", not Bob, Jeff, Ted, Biff, or whatever else. You can assume since this is my forum name, that it is the name of choice fo r me on this forum.
Yeah! I'm Bob.
Kobra

Post by Kobra »

Brad Wardell wrote:That's fine, Kobra. And all I ask in return is the same level of respect.

BTW, I don't have the capability to respond to PMs here for some reason. It says I don't have access. I had previously sent email to your old email account which I'm not sure works or not.
That email is dead, I PM'd you my correct email address which you can forward your email to and i'll recieve it nearly instantly. Even on my pda on the road.
Yeah! I'm Bob.
Oh and I forgot, there can be only one "Bob" and that names already taken. :D
Bob

Post by Bob »

Brad Wardell wrote:BTW, I don't have the capability to respond to PMs here for some reason. It says I don't have access. I had previously sent email to your old email account which I'm not sure works or not.
We have some forum stalkers (no, not Kobra) so you have to post 10 messages before you can PM. I think.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Brad Wardell wrote:BTW, I don't have the capability to respond to PMs here for some reason. It says I don't have access. I had previously sent email to your old email account which I'm not sure works or not.
Bob's correct (the Bob-Bob, not the Kobra-Bob), although the threshold is twenty posts. If you feel a need to be further informed about this (what with all that spare time I'm sure you have right about now ;)), the official thread about it is here.

Also, since I haven't said it yet, thanks for stopping by our forums, Brad. Your openness in terms of posting about your games is greatly appreciated.

---

And for the GalCiv fans here, since I don't think this has been posted on OO yet, this is from the GalCiv website:
Tomorrow, February 14th we will open the doors to allow all the existing beta users to begin pre-loading the game. You won't be able to play it as it's just grabbing all the big data files. But it will make sure that on release date your download is only a couple of megs.

[...]

On Wednesday, February 15th, ALL users who pre-ordered will then have their orders processed and be able to begin preloading the game as well.
- Ash
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Thanks for posting Brad. Sorry you have to put up with the abuse.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kobra wrote:Edit: Thanks for posting the business one, so I can avoid the one filled with bullshit.
That's a bit uncalled for, Kobra. Let's keep it civil, please.