DooM 3 (Edit: Dawn of the Dead mod!?)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

lokiju

DooM 3 (Edit: Dawn of the Dead mod!?)

Post by lokiju »

So I tried Doom 3 a long time ago, and it didn't take. I recently got the game again, gave it another go, and I'm finding it to be very entertaining (if not a little scary). Not sure why 2x is the charm, but I'm definitely glad I tried it again.

Anyone else still have it on the old HD? Also, anyone tried any good mods? I did a search, but mostly came up with "tech support" threads.

I heard bad things about this game (even worse stuff about the expansion), but Doom 3 has like 88% on Gameranks and Resurrection like 79%, both not too shabby.

Edit: Thanks to Fuzzball's link in PCG to the HuGe mod database site: http://mods.moddb.com/, I found 2 pages of DooM 3 mods...and one is a Dawn of the Dead recreation. Awsome!
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Turin Turambar

Post by Turin Turambar »

¿do you like straight action fps? Then you will like Doom 3.

Scary? Not for me, but it builds tension very well and always will have you in the edge with fights in very close range.

And play it in hard!

mods? Not a lot, and some of the big and promising mods are still in development. There are Last Man Standing (LMS), OpenCoop, In Hell, Dungeon Doom, etc.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont really count it as DOOM 3...like I dont count MOO3 as a Master of Orion game. Its nowhere near that bad..actually DOOM 3 is ok. Just that without co-op MP and the way it plays it just is'nt DOOM to me.

Try Quake 4 also..its MUCH better.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Doom 3 wasn't horrible, it just wasn't what Doom 3 should have been.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jancelot

Post by Jancelot »

I need to go back and finish it, but I thought it was a decent game too. The mistake was trying to go for a different feel rather than straight up Painkiller style action.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Jancelot wrote:I need to go back and finish it, but I thought it was a decent game too. The mistake was trying to go for a different feel rather than straight up Painkiller style action.
The final areas of the game show what the engine is capable of - specifically non-spacestation corridors and walls. I enjoyed those parts the most, but overall the game was a big fat "meh" for me.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I got Doom 3 with my video card. I installed it to check out what my new card could do and played about an hour. It was way too dark for me (thus defeating the purpose of enjoying the glory of my new card), and I did not feel like hunting around for gamma fixes, so I put it aside and moved on to Half-Life 2. Then I started enjoying the graphics glory and still haven't gone back to Doom 3.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

I really enjoyed Doom 3 and played through it two or three times; as well as replaying certain saved games for particular scenes many times. The only mods I used - for a time - was one of those flashlight mods and a mod that added some even more photorealistic background graphics. The game was never "too dark" for me and I added mods for variety only.

I liked the setting of the game, found it to be atmospheric and tense, and once I realized that this was not going to be a game of skill or complex suspense - basically things jumped out and attacked again and again - I accepted it and enjoyed Doom 3.

I don't think I'd want too many of this type of action FPS - I like more the style of Half Life 2 with it's variety of settings, weapons, opponents, allies, and so on - but for Doom 3 did satisfy my urge to shoot bunches of monsters.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I played through Doom 3 and the expansion pack. I enjoyed both but the game did get a bit cut and pastish towards the end. I think the expansion is actually better than the original because it is not as long and it adds some cool special powers. If you like straight run and gun FPS games then they are both great games.
FTE
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I always thought the best game to use to show off a video card would be Far Cry. Amazing game.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Daehawk wrote:I always thought the best game to use to show off a video card would be Far Cry. Amazing game.
See, and I tried Farcry a few times (still have it on my shelf), but it was too jerky, and gave me the now infamous 'motion sickness'. It was beautiful though.

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

lokiju wrote:See, and I tried Farcry a few times (still have it on my shelf), but it was too jerky, and gave me the now infamous 'motion sickness'. It was beautiful though.
FarCry looks fantastic on new systems. I also get a sick tummy from a lot of FPSers. If you want to fix it, disable the head-bob. Most games will allow you to do so via game options. A few require you to change some settings in the startup.ini file (or whatever the game uses).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Back when everyone hated Doom 3, I liked it and played the hell out of it(no pun..). Then came a moment of clarity, when I was about to click on the shortcut for the game and realized "I don't really want to play this anymore.". No particular reason, I just didn't feel the urge.

Plus, Gmod came out for HL2 and that was WAY more fun(in a creative way) than actually 'playing' a game. I've been watching out for a Doom 3 Gmod type mod, since that would be the only thing to get me to go back, but no dice.

I did enjoy it very much while it lasted and it did scare the crap out of me on more than one occasion.
martindemon

Post by martindemon »

I find Doom 3 scary, but Quake 4 is even better in this department. The way paranoia builds up with fear and the hopelessness as you see every one of your short term ally inevitably die, and the question you always ask yourself "will I keep control of myself???" and the way you see things happen to others before they happen to you, right in the middle of the game :D
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Just a bump to add more info.