Oblivion - FAQ and information?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jag

Oblivion - FAQ and information?

Post by Jag »

I'm interested in learning about Oblivion. Is there any place I can get comprehensive info on the game system, magic, mechanics even character creation?

I would like to have some basic understanding of the game before it's released and having never played MW, i feel like i need more info than people that are somewhat familiar with it.
docvego

Post by docvego »

This is as comprehensive as you can get.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=186541

Anything else is unknown.
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

And whatever you do, avoid that one poster... Hitl.. hutz.. no, HETZ. Yeah, him. He's a bad seed, spreading lies about release dates and stuff :P
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
docvego

Post by docvego »

Hetz isn't a poster, Hetz is an idea.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Wow. I went through that entire FAQ and i think i'm even more confused.

What would be a good starting class/race?
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Jag wrote:Wow. I went through that entire FAQ and i think i'm even more confused.

Well, I guess that would depend on how you like to play. I was a Warrior/Thief for most of my Morrowind chars. The great thing about these games (and it looks like it will be even better in Oblivion) is that the game provides a number of ways to play as you like.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Caine

Post by Caine »

Jag wrote:Wow. I went through that entire FAQ and i think i'm even more confused.

hard to answer, but it depends on your preferred type of play. magic, thief, or combat (melee or ranged). certain classes were more effective with certain races. dark elves were magic, wood elves, ranged. cats were suited for stealth. nordic made effective hand to hand fighters.

of course, you aren't held to just one combination, and it can be almost as fun to go through against a race/class combo just to half an unsual character. mw allowd you to create your own class too, so you could pick and choose what skills appealed to you.
WRecently WRisen from the gwave.
docvego

Post by docvego »

The first part of oblivion is a tutorial dungeon of sorts where you'll be able to try out magic,hand to hand combat, stealth, ranged combat etc. and I think the game will give you some suggestions on what type of character might be fun for you to play based on your game style.

All the character skills break down into three different sections, combat, magic and stealth. The URL below will give you some details on each of them so you can see what sounds cool. The nice thing about oblivion (and the previous elder scrolls games) is that the game can be very different depending on your class, enough so that it's quiet worth it to go back and play different classes.

... I'll type some more later. But essentially what some other posters said is true, your best starting class would be whatever sounds the coolest to you.