THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

GW--PvP or maybe GvG Tonight

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Toxo

GW--PvP or maybe GvG Tonight

Post by Toxo »

Guys Id like to try for some warm up PvP or even GvG tonight in Guild Wars.

All you need is TeamSpeak (no microphone needed) so we can chat and listen to target switches, and, well, thats it. We can have PvP characters or PvE characters (lvl 20's).

So come on out and let's have some fun!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon Zingledorf is game. I'm not sure when I'll be in, though. What time are you planning to be on?
Lanshaft

Post by Lanshaft »

I'll be there (already am) but I see one problem with TS at the moment for us. Us Purge guys don't have accounts on the OO TS server, and I know at least I can't even PM the guy who makes the accounts, so we're kinda SOL if we use the OO server. Whenever I try to send a PM it says the admin hasn't allowed me to send em. :(
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lanshaft wrote:I'll be there (already am) but I see one problem with TS at the moment for us. Us Purge guys don't have accounts on the OO TS server, and I know at least I can't even PM the guy who makes the accounts, so we're kinda SOL if we use the OO server. Whenever I try to send a PM it says the admin hasn't allowed me to send em. :(
Yeah, you have to have a certain number of posts and days here as an anti-spam measure; I'll PM him.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Thanks for letting me tag along for PvP tonight guys. It was lots of fun. Eventually I might even figure out what I'm supposed to be doing. :lol:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Elmo wrote:Thanks for letting me tag along for PvP tonight guys. It was lots of fun. Eventually I might even figure out what I'm supposed to be doing. :lol:
You did just fine. Glad you had fun!
Lanshaft

Post by Lanshaft »

Zaxxon wrote:
Lanshaft wrote:I'll be there (already am) but I see one problem with TS at the moment for us. Us Purge guys don't have accounts on the OO TS server, and I know at least I can't even PM the guy who makes the accounts, so we're kinda SOL if we use the OO server. Whenever I try to send a PM it says the admin hasn't allowed me to send em. :(
Yeah, you have to have a certain number of posts and days here as an anti-spam measure; I'll PM him.
Bah, what about us people who don't post a lot because we don't have much to say?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lanshaft wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
Bah, what about us people who don't post a lot because we don't have much to say?
You don't need a lot.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Elmo wrote:Thanks for letting me tag along for PvP tonight guys. It was lots of fun. Eventually I might even figure out what I'm supposed to be doing. :lol:
Hey you died less than I did. Although one of those deaths WAS DUE TO SOMEONE'S TRIGGER-HAPPINESS.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

guildwars.com wrote:Rank: 795th Name: Octopus Overlords Tag: OO Territory: Am Rating: 1063 Wins: 5 Losses: 1
W00t.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

In other news, I got a pretty mean warrior/monk knock down build. It apparantly does better the less skills I have in my bar ;).
GamrIrv

Post by GamrIrv »

Hey, less skills means less thinking, right? Just spam the 1 button and that's all you'll need. :D
Toxo

Post by Toxo »

I had a blast last night. Here's my rundown:

The Bad:
We dont have a real cohesive build idea.

We dont know all the maps (like that frozen fortress one).

SuperHiro sometimes makes out with the Guild Thief in the middle of the courtyard and gets catapulted to death :D

(maybe that was a good part?)

The Good:
We had tons of people on last night.

We all are competent enough to slap together a build and at least take down equally unorganized resistance.

We had excellent monkage. Only in that third match did we have healing problems, and they were a very good team.

None of us gave up in that third match. I was really disappointed when the other guildies quit during that last match. Even when we were against the ropes we all tried and didnt quit.

Lanshaft is an excellent flag runner, and has a very good sense of when to grab the flag and when to hide it away. The few times I called for a flag you were already bringing it.

We stuck to the called target. This is critical, especially because that third team we fought showed us just how devastating coordinated target switching can be. They would hit a target and our monks would be on it, then suddenly switch and within 2 or 3 seconds that new target would be down.

It was great to hang out on TS and PvP with you guys. Plus I love having a morale boost and building up a teams death penalty, there's something very satisfying about that sort of 'war of attrition'.

Good job everyone!
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Had lots of fun in my first PvP last night. Hope to be on tonight for more if there is room. I tweaked Sir Dufus W/E to be Fire instead of Water as I have better Fire skills unlocked.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Toxo wrote:It was great to hang out on TS and PvP with you guys. Plus I love having a morale boost and building up a teams death penalty, there's something very satisfying about that sort of 'war of attrition'.

Good job everyone!
Definitely agreed. However I think we should take a look at the strategy used by the team that whooped us. Granted we got rocked pretty hard in the initial engagement, but they made sure we didn't get back on our feet by charging into the hall and putting the pressure-cooker on even hotter. IIRC they ignored our initial base defenses, brought their thief up, and continued rocking our world. Obviously there's a good time to do this, and we should investigate.

I can't wait until they put in Guild practice areas... So hard to test strategies right now.
DonD

Post by DonD »

I'm up for some PvP action tonight, though it'll be my first time with it and I'll need to use a premade build since my highest right now is a L8 E/Me.

I already have TS installed, so that shouldn't be an issue, though I'll need the IP & password.

And um..so I can be less of a liability, is there a decent guide on the net that can give me an idea of what I should be doing, or at least an overview of the maps?

- Don
XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

DonD wrote:I'm up for some PvP action tonight, though it'll be my first time with it and I'll need to use a premade build since my highest right now is a L8 E/Me.

I already have TS installed, so that shouldn't be an issue, though I'll need the IP & password.

And um..so I can be less of a liability, is there a decent guide on the net that can give me an idea of what I should be doing, or at least an overview of the maps?

- Don
PM Queequeg to get set up with an account for TS.

As to a guide, GuildWiki has a decent set of info. Don't fret too much; we can talk you through the first match, and after that you'll be right at home.
Toxo

Post by Toxo »

As far as I can tell there are a few tricks to a GvG map (some maps have all of these elements and some have fewer).

* The Guild Lord is the Primary Objective. The first team to destroy the opponent's Guild Lord wins the match. (Fortunately it's not that simple).

* Each team has a fortress that is usually locked up. You can open the gate(s) to your fortress at any time. The enemy team cannot and must bring an NPC called the Guild Thief to the gate mechanism. After a few seconds they will open the gate. (There is a significant NPC presence in the fort and around the Guild Lord so sneak attacks with one or two PC's have little chance for success)

* Many of the maps have a catapult outside of each fort and aimed directly into the enemy fort's courtyard. A repair kit (not sure where this is) can be used to make this catapult operational. If a team holes up in their fort they can be manuevered into the courtyard. The catapult will kill any player in its area of effect. (We had an enterprising enemy ranger run out past us up to the catapult and attempt to nuke us in his own courtyard)

* Perhaps the most important feature of GvG is the flag meta game. There is one pedestal in the middle of the map. A team with their flag in the pedestal for 2 minutes gains a morale boost (similar to the one you get for killing bosses in PvE). This is a significant boost (+10% every 2 minutes), and will recharge rez signets if your team gains a morale boost. If the blue flag is in the pedestal a second blue flag respawns at the the blue base. This means that usually a runner is used to keep your teams flag in the pedestal. You can also move up your second flag and keep it somewhere close to the pedestal. If your flag is touched by the enemy team it will disappear and respawn back in your base.

Overall, it's simple :D
GamrIrv

Post by GamrIrv »

Basically, we'll have assigned roles in the GvG match prior to starting. Warriors and skirmishers would follow the leader's targets (be careful to stay with party though - no following all ovr the map). If we had necros or mesmers, we'd probably let them cast, giving them priority targets to work on but mainly some free reign. We seem to have a decent monking crew. (Even though our monks seem to be FASCINATED by the catapults, almost a hypnotic approval) :D

Whee!

Get a chance to use the observer mode (under options or menu when you've logged in with a character) and see how high-ranked guilds tend to play and what they focus on.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Well we's a startin' now. Come join us! Gain fame and fortune!*

* - Fortune not guaranteed.
Toxo

Post by Toxo »

Well we came outta that pretty battered. We won 1 out of 4. We have an excellent record against henchie teams or teams with members leaving. But our record is very weak against full 8 man builds.

We did learn alot more about how to run a GvG mission. Mostly from that second team that we should have beat, but they kept successfully dividing us up and slowly regained the lead.

Still a fun time, PvP definitely is where the mental and teamwork challenges lie. Just dont get discouraged guys, we can do well as long as we get a decent build and practice our roles (and get our noses bloodied a bit more).
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

We discussed creating proposed builds and then critiquing/fine-tuning here. I don't have any to propose at this point, but I think we should all check out the Guild of the Week Archives, where there are a ton of successful builds available to study.
Toxo

Post by Toxo »

Zaxxon that guild of the week stuff is pretty good. I noticed some tips from one of the guilds that was being used against us tonight. Running. Everytime i had a monk targeted they ran back to their fort. If I hamstrung em that condition was removed in the blink of an eye, I guess a running warrior is a useless warrior...
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I will be heading back in within the next 15 minutes, ready to PvP at any time tonight.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Does anyone have interest in trying out PvP/GvG on a night that's not friday or saturday? That doesn't work too well with the spouse.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

I don't know if we can get a full squad of 8. But there's usually enough for a few matches of 4v4 Team Arena.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

SuperHiro wrote:I don't know if we can get a full squad of 8. But there's usually enough for a few matches of 4v4 Team Arena.
Cool. I'll have to see if people are around tomorrow.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Teamspeak helps A LOT. Even if you aren't miked, just log in and listen.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

SuperHiro wrote:Teamspeak helps A LOT. Even if you aren't miked, just log in and listen.
Agreed. I don't see how it's possible to field a competitive GvG team without Teamspeak.
Toxo

Post by Toxo »

We fielded a 4 man group last night. And I thought that we did very well for constantly changing in new characters and players. One think I noticed is that we are getting our basics down better. More of us are on the called target. Monks seem to be monking more efficiently, and for me, the pace of the game seems a bit more manageable (I can keep my head wrapped around the situation more).

Best moment of last night. We were in the 4 man mission with the healing auto-rezzing NPC priest (ice cave one). We met the enemy midway planning to charge the priest. I was running energy denial and interrupt. I started on the monk and before I had fired off my 3 e. denial skills, I saw the +EXP +20 Faction float over my head.

"Wow my guys brought someone down already?" So, we called the monk, about 5 seconds later, hes down. Then the third goes down. It's now about 1:30 seconds into the match and all they have is a Ranger standing. We bolt past him and engage the NPC Priest (he'll rez them all in a few seconds). We focus fire and drop him at 1:56, then turn and execute the ranger. I have never been a part of such a decisive (and sweet) victory.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Toxo wrote:Best moment of last night. We were in the 4 man mission with the healing auto-rezzing NPC priest (ice cave one). We met the enemy midway planning to charge the priest. I was running energy denial and interrupt. I started on the monk and before I had fired off my 3 e. denial skills, I saw the +EXP +20 Faction float over my head.

"Wow my guys brought someone down already?" So, we called the monk, about 5 seconds later, hes down. Then the third goes down. It's now about 1:30 seconds into the match and all they have is a Ranger standing. We bolt past him and engage the NPC Priest (he'll rez them all in a few seconds). We focus fire and drop him at 1:56, then turn and execute the ranger. I have never been a part of such a decisive (and sweet) victory.
Yeah, that match was incredibly sweet. It's amazing what you can do with a nicely-timed level-15 Incendiary Bonds expiration coinciding with a Meteor drop followed by a Fireball, all while you have a Warrior teammate whacking the guy. If there's no Monk support, homie's going down.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Too bad we ended that run in such a BS fashion. Who ever heard of a group aiming to get 1 kill and then just running around? BOOOOOOO.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

SuperHiro wrote:Too bad we ended that run in such a BS fashion. Who ever heard of a group aiming to get 1 kill and then just running around? BOOOOOOO.
It's simple; they realized that we were FILLED WITH UNDENIABLE AWESOMENESS, and when lady luck smiled upon them with the initial kill, they ran like sissy girls.

Or something.
Black Frances

Post by Black Frances »

GvG tonight? Anything going on?
Padre

Post by Padre »

There's 4 man PvP going on right now. I'm actualy listening to it via TS, while not participating....
Dreamshadow

Post by Dreamshadow »

Did some 4v4 with Rock, Lan, and Kendric/someone else who's name I've forgotten. (I was Tyria). Some good matches. I was running a PAladin build and switched the res to a res signet. With a ranger, denial mes, my pally, and another warrior (I forgot what you were running Rock), we could get four or five matches in before being unseated. Even better, we didn't really have TS and it still worked for the most part. I focused on damage dealing, and let the other teammates worry about serious status effects, though I made use of Bleeding to trip off Gash, and that lead into Final Strike (if I was hurt) or another +30 adrenaline hit.

4v4 has some promise for basic practice on spiking and builds...though it lacks the objectives of GvG. I like it more than I thought I would.
My NaNoWriMo profile
rock

Post by rock »

I was running boon prot, and the other guy that came was the leader from the guild we merged from named derekar. He ran a blood spike necro. Note: bathazars aura from a smiting ele placed on a warrior hurts.(although it's easily countered if you know what's happening BEFORE it's too late to matter) we found this out in one of our losses...

I'm thinking that in 4v4 we shouldn't be running 2 monks over 1, but I guess that's just personal preference since i like the damage potential better with 3 people rather than 2. 2 monks is good if we have the other 2 highly offensive, but it means fewer interupts and energy denial skills. Guess this is just another example of costs and benifits, and it comes down to personal preference.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Is there Storage at the Guild Hall? Couldn't find any. If not how do I get an item from Drake to Sir Dufus, or can't I? Thanks.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Elmo wrote:Is there Storage at the Guild Hall? Couldn't find any. If not how do I get an item from Drake to Sir Dufus, or can't I? Thanks.
There is no storage in the hall. Just drop whatever you want to transfer into a Xunlai Agent. Then go to an agent with your other character and pick it up.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

I thought PvP characters had to stay in the PvP area so how does Sir Dufus get to an agent there? Sorry for being so dense. Thanks.