THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Amped 3 is one weird-ass game

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Inverarity

Amped 3 is one weird-ass game

Post by Inverarity »

Anybody else playing this? I've only just started, but Weinerboy's claymation show was enough to make me post something.

The game underneath all the oddities plays a lot like the other Ampeds.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

... it's the oddities that killed it for me... I finished the story-line but I wasn't interested in going through any more of the challenges... they made the game too "extreme" for me. Maybe I'm getting old.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
baron calamity

Post by baron calamity »

I loved Amped 3. I never carded for snow boarding games before. (Tried and truely hated the original Amped) I finished all the challanges and got all the achivements except for the Surpreme Snow God one. The media grabs were too hard for me. I got bronze on most of them and gold on just about everything else.
Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle »

I've found it extremely entertaining, myself, though I have a hunch it'll get too hard by the 3rd or 4th mountain for me.

There are some challenges I just dread (kitty glitter is always a big pain for me), and I'm getting closer to just accepting bronze on some challenges and moving on.

But I found the quirky humor very entertaining. Interesting artistic choices, too, not just extreme for extreme's sake (or at least not usually).
baron calamity

Post by baron calamity »

It doesn't get harder. The challanges just get a bit longer, requiring you to chain more stunts in a row but it never gets hard. Just about every event, even on the last mountian you can get bronze in the first try. If you try to get gold, then the difficulty ramps up. The only controller throwing mopment I had was with the magic circles. There are some magic circle challanges that you have to play over and over since you can't see where some of the circles are and you have to make a course correction before you see them.
Misguided

Post by Misguided »

How is the language/content on this one? I have a 9 year old that might really enjoy something like this but I keep a fairly tight reign on what I expose him to.
baron calamity

Post by baron calamity »

Misguided wrote:How is the language/content on this one? I have a 9 year old that might really enjoy something like this but I keep a fairly tight reign on what I expose him to.
I let my 5 year old son play it. The roughest line in there is when a girl tells a guy to "stop looking at my butt." That only happens once.

The humor is likely to fly right past kids. Its aimed directly at Gen X who grew up in the 70s and 80s.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

Despite being a 70s baby, early 80s child, the humor is flying right past me too. I actually thought it was aimed at kids. I'm still at the beginning though, so maybe it gets better. The game itself is entertaining enough. Plays a lot like the other two, which in my book is a good thing.
baron calamity

Post by baron calamity »

All the refs are late 70s, early 80s. Sure, there were a few bits of modern snow boarding culture but I can see anyone born in the 90s haven't no clue what was going on. On the Xbox forums, the number one question is who is the magic circle guy. (The answer is Doug Henning)
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

Well shit, all of that stuff went over my head. I thought that Weinerland might be a joke aimed at those of us who watched Gumby and Davey & Goliath (and other shows of that ilk), but since then I've just thought the humor was aimed at kids. I'm going to play it again tonight and see if I appreciate it more with this knowledge.

Incidentally, is the Doug Henning thing confirmed, or is that just who you think it is?
baron calamity

Post by baron calamity »

Inverarity wrote:Incidentally, is the Doug Henning thing confirmed, or is that just who you think it is?
In one of the forums I visit someone wrote Aaron Conners of Indie build and that was who Aaron said it was. I didn't a quick look and can't find where that email was posted.