2024 Fundraising - $1192 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Space Rangers 2: Submarine mission

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Munin

Space Rangers 2: Submarine mission

Post by Munin »

Yeah, this bathyscaph rescue thing. It's driving me insane. Is there any step-by-step walkthrough for it? Really, it's just...maybe I don't have patience enough to carefully plan each step I do but I just want to have it completed.

Even some approximate tips how to solve this would help me.

Thanks.
Turin Turambar

Post by Turin Turambar »

I did it sucessfully with only the first try. 8-)

Sorry for you, but i have a very bad memory. :(

You had to dive fast at the beginning, after slow down a little and then you have to re-orient the bathyscaph looking at x and y coords, try to be near the exact coords, and then use the thrust and negate with your impulse the water current. Then slow down a bit more and... yeah, it's hard to explain, like you are seeing, and my english skills aren't helping.

After you have to go up, and when the monster attacks you turns to find the monster's face and use the light.
IkeVandergraaf

Post by IkeVandergraaf »

The thing about this mission is that every time you start it, it puts you (or the target rather) at a different location. THe first few times I tried it, it was really difficult. Then I got lucky and the thing was right near me, and it was pretty easy. It can probably be done no matter what the start conditions, but sometimes it's easier than others.
Compliment of the season to you!
Ike Vandergraaf
See An Inconvenient Truth.
XBox 360 Gamer Tag = IkeV
Gus Smedstad

Post by Gus Smedstad »

It's essentially a complicated version of Lunar Lander. It's an exercise in computing deacceleration on the 3 axes.

First get your sub pointed in the correct direction. It's been so long that I've forgotten the X/Y conventions, but assuming a normal cartesian layout, if it's a long way Y on not far X, you want to head north. If it's roughly the same X and Y, you want to head northeast. And so on.

Once you're pointed the right way, pump your speed up to the maximum. Then you wait for a while. Generally you'll reach near-zero on one axis first, at which point you turn.

When you're only worried about one axis, compute the point where you need to start braking. Take the square of your velocity, after current, divide by your acceleration (10 m/s if I recall), and divide by 2. That's the distance where you MUST begin braking continously. If something is going to distract you, like dropping balast, give yourself a couple of extra turns. I.e. at 100 m/s, you must beging braking at no more than 550 meters.

The same logic applies to dropping ballast, though you can't correct if you drop too much, and your control over deacceleration is kind of chunky. Your acceleration is much higher, something like 300 m/s for fastest possible ballast drop.

Current complicates zeroing in a bit, but what you want is generally to be facing into the current once you get there, so you can reduce your net velocity to zero. If you have a tail current rather than a head current, you want to reduce thrust to zero before you get there, turn around, and add thrust to slow you down to zero over the target.

You seem to recall you can turn in any direction in 1 turn. If the curent is 30 m/s, you need 30 meters to turn around, plus 60 meters to accelerate against the current to zero net velocity (30 + 20 + 10 meters). Your approaching velocity will be 130 m/s, so you need to start braking at 1000 meters, and turn around at zero thrust at 90 meters.

Once you have the thing hooked, just drop ballast as fast as possible. You can run into a sea monster on your way up, which you'll have to scare away by turning on your light and thrashing about in random directions hoping to frighten it.

- Gus