2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Space Rangers 2: Where are the planetary battles?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Sandpuppy

Space Rangers 2: Where are the planetary battles?

Post by Sandpuppy »

I'm in about year 27 of my current game and have yet to be offered a chance at one of the planetary RTS battles listed in the manual. It states there that they can be picked up on the goverment screen of any inhabited planet. I assume this is the same screen where you pick up text-based missions and fedex runs?? Is there some other requirement I need to fulfill before these become offered to me? I'm on good terms with just about everyone... I thought once I started liberating systems they would become available, but after about a dozen such instances, still not a single planetary battle. What gives?
Svlad

Post by Svlad »

When you liberate a system, you are often told to report to a planet to collect a reward for your services. Check the mission screen there; that is where I almost always find planetary battles.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
Sandpuppy

Post by Sandpuppy »

Yes, I get the reward screen (usually with experience, an item I upgraded past years ago, and a hearty handshake), but never anything about running the dominators off the planet as well.

I have a pretty beefy warship (1115 hull with 84 cladding block/repair per round, all slots, 2 IMHOs, Turbogravir, Disintegrator, Resonator, and torp & missile launchers to swap in and out as needed, as well as 49% shielding), so I was able to easily clean out another 4 systems last night, and still no offer to go planetside. I'm wondering if this is a bug. A chance to earn a little extra income sure would help with my 6-figure repair bills :)
Dhruin

Post by Dhruin »

The only thing I can think of is they get disabled if your video card doesn't meet the minimum spec (the engine for the RTS part is different). You're not running on a low-end system, are you?
Svlad

Post by Svlad »

Did you actually go look for a mission on the planet after you received your reward?
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
Orinoco

Post by Orinoco »

Also, if you say "no" to the tutorial mission that it offers at the start of a game, you turn them off permanently.
Sandpuppy

Post by Sandpuppy »

The only thing I can think of is they get disabled if your video card doesn't meet the minimum spec (the engine for the RTS part is different). You're not running on a low-end system, are you?
Athlon xp 3000, 1 GB RAM, & Geforce 6600GT. Seems to run just about everything I throw at it, including Call of Duty 2 and Pacific Fighters. Incidentally, I found the cheat that lets you access the RTS missions from the main menu, and I was able to load one up that way. Seemed pretty smooth to me.
Did you actually go look for a mission on the planet after you received your reward?
When I received the award, the only response available for me was a generic "Thanks" which would boot me back to the main planetary screen once I clicked it. If I went right back to the goverment screen, I'd get the same mission options as any other time (text mission, delivery, go kill so-and-so, etc.). Is there another place I need to look for the planetary battles?
Also, if you say "no" to the tutorial mission that it offers at the start of a game, you turn them off permanently.
I don't recall even being offered a tutorial for the RTS missions. I know I got the ship combat tutorial, but IIRC it seemed like the game just continued on from that point. If there's a switch, then there must be a toggle for it in the config files or registry that I can change back, no? I looked there and couldn't find anything obvious.
Roguetad

Post by Roguetad »

In the few games that I've started, if I tell the NPC that I'd rather not do a planetary mission, it seems to turn them off forever. In fact, they say something like, "I'll let the Ranger Center know...".

I'm not sure if there's a way to turn them back on.