2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

[GW] anyone interested in playing with an IWAY build?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Are you interested in playing in a casual IWAY team?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:59 pm

yes
17%
no
25%
maybe
25%
IWAY is the devil /Patton Oswalt Nerd Voice
33%

Total votes: 12

craterus

[GW] anyone interested in playing with an IWAY build?

Post by craterus »

I have had decent success with 2 w/r's in the RA tourneys.

You can build a cheap IWAY wr fairly economically if you have 1000 faction points to spend in order to buy the "I will avenge you" skill if you don't already have it.

I will be on after 6pm tonight EST. If we can get 2 or 3 wr's (with pets - which come with the charm skill when you buy it in pvp) and someone that picks up one of the variant support roles, I think we could have some fun with it in the 4x4 team arena.

EDIT - brought over from the other thread that seemed to fizzle out

http://www.guildwiki.org/wiki/Team_-_IWAY

since majority of team would be W/R it might minimize the time it takes to get the team ready to go.
"The direwolf graces the banners of House Stark," Jon pointed out. "I am no Stark, Father." A Game of Thrones
(referral link) Season 24 for GPRO racing manager game - starting the 10th of Feb
The OO GPRO thread - come on over and share some data
Padre

Post by Padre »

The build concept just kinda bores me. I prefer trying to break new ground, y'know? Or at least going for a more balanced approach.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm not terribly interested in IWAY, but I wouldn't mind playing one of the support roles.
craterus

Post by craterus »

Padre wrote:The build concept just kinda bores me. I prefer trying to break new ground, y'know? Or at least going for a more balanced approach.
I can absolutely respect that - but I played this last weekend and while it was fun playing GvG, we spent approximately 20-30 minutes rebalancing the team each time someone dropped off.

I have limited access to PvP stuff. I imagine in a casual guild others are in the same boat. The IWAY build (or a mod of it) seems like a no-brainer for this guild. Even if not everyone has the skills for W/R, we can round out a party with almost anycharacter as long as we have at least 4 people with wr...

Meanwhile I played HA, and was able to get through first two human teams with random teams that I created on the spot.

With a little bit of practice (which I propose using 4x4 to get started), we could get a team going and not have to spend a half hour rebalancing everytime one person drops out.

ps - spent 1000 faction points on IWAY skill... got 3500 faction points in the last couple of days... will probably spend the 3000 for Edge of Extinction tonight...
Last edited by craterus on Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The direwolf graces the banners of House Stark," Jon pointed out. "I am no Stark, Father." A Game of Thrones
(referral link) Season 24 for GPRO racing manager game - starting the 10th of Feb
GamrIrv

Post by GamrIrv »

I think the entire point of running an iway build is to give our players a better sense of strategy and overall shifts in the metagame.

For instance:

1) whack away with your damage dealers to build adrenaline/pressure damage, then shift targets and spike.

2) healers run and kite until we see places where we can heal or if healing is needed (to prevent overhealing)

3) support characters get a better understanding of when to cast their hexes/cover hexes, or protection/wards, or e-denial or interrupts. Cover hexes should be cast quickly over good hexes, interrupts on important spells, and e-denial not immediately (give the monks time to use up some of their energy)
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

I still think we should go crazy with a hex-heavy build. I mean, of all those Zaishen elite teams, it's the hex heavy one that pisses off. Jesus, I had 7 hexes on me at one point. I didn't even know wtf to do.

We should just kitchen sink it and see what happens. I'm telling you, it'll work. People bring lots of condition removers but not a lot of hex removers. And hex removal spells don't recharge all that fast (but Smite Hex and that mesmer skill like it, Blow Up Hex?, do damage. Not all that much though). The only one that really cleans house (AFAIK) is Purge Signet on the monk side. And if you slap enough hexes on there (about 4 I reckon), it'll completely drain the monk's energy. E-DENIAL.
craterus

Post by craterus »

GamrIrv wrote:I think the entire point of running an iway build is to give our players a better sense of strategy and overall shifts in the metagame.
And for lower skill, casual players (like myself)... w/r is a great role to play.

Nothing manditory... but if we can get a small sub-core group going... we can put our own flavor on the IWAY.
GamrIrv

Post by GamrIrv »

true, it's kinda crazy, but if that is the degen team, then I'm sorry to say but my opinion is that team is the easiest to beat. The hardest I've found is the i will survive ranger trapper team. IWAY is tough, but you just need to be prepared about it. It will still nail you if you're not careful. The mesmer teams' pretty easy too.
grumpy

Post by grumpy »

Eh, I would say the imaginary weapon team is really easy to beat, at least solo w/ a trapper. It's what I try to use every day or so to farm 1000 easy faction.
craterus

Post by craterus »

Well there are two ways to look at the poll so far...

3 semi positive votes vs 7 negative votes

OR

7 IWAY rulz! (but I refuse to quit you - my favorite build!) votes vs 3 no interest votes

Feel free to start another poll if you have a build that might be good for a casual guild to play...

Again, my intention here was to suggest a successful build that would be EASY for casual types to build and play.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

As a casual PvP player the easiest thing for me is to stick with Sir Dufus, my hammer wielding W/E PvP character until I learn how to play him well.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

SuperHiro wrote:I still think we should go crazy with a hex-heavy build. I mean, of all those Zaishen elite teams, it's the hex heavy one that pisses off. Jesus, I had 7 hexes on me at one point. I didn't even know wtf to do.

We should just kitchen sink it and see what happens. I'm telling you, it'll work. People bring lots of condition removers but not a lot of hex removers. And hex removal spells don't recharge all that fast (but Smite Hex and that mesmer skill like it, Blow Up Hex?, do damage. Not all that much though). The only one that really cleans house (AFAIK) is Purge Signet on the monk side. And if you slap enough hexes on there (about 4 I reckon), it'll completely drain the monk's energy. E-DENIAL.
That would be awesome. I'm in.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

My big problem with "playing on an IWAY team" is that it eliminates the fun I have in Guild Wars. I like coming up with ideas and making characters, not playing a cookie cutter build. I also don't find IWAY particularly interesting. I don't want to play a warrior - it's not my thing.

If those two problems were addressed, I'd join. If I was logged on and someone needed another player, I'd try it.
Toxo

Post by Toxo »

Im willing to try any build. Our lack of structure can be a strength. We have lots of folks with good build ideas, and I for one, am willng to try out any idea. I understand it can be tough to take the time to come up with (or research) a build, and then have it shot down, so I will play any build.

On that note, I like the idea of trying an IWAY, even if it's just to gain more info for defeating it. I also like the degen idea. :)

When and if sparring comes out we should have bad build contests, where we get to choose horrifically strange builds and battle each other.
craterus

Post by craterus »

Toxo wrote:Im willing to try any build. Our lack of structure can be a strength.
It is a strength only if you like to play 30 minutes out of every hour.

I honestly don't care what build we come up with... if it is flexible (beyond the core players required)... cool.

JUST NAME A BUILD and play it for a week or two. Then name another build.

Do we have a leader or are we an autonomous collective?

Until such time that the guild picks a build - I am doing iWAY stuff - I will be the guy messaging for 4 hrs aking if anyone wants to play 4x4.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

craterus wrote: ...

This guild seems much more suited to being a collective. We're not hardcore anything and a dictator would not do well here IMO. I came from a hardcore WoW guild where it was the leader's way or the highway. Many of us chose the latter.
craterus

Post by craterus »

Elmo wrote:
craterus wrote: ...

quote]

This guild seems much more suited to being a collective. We're not hardcore anything and a dictator would not do well here IMO. I came from a hardcore WoW guild where it was the leader's way or the highway. Many of us chose the latter.
And in what way am I suggesting that here? Picking a core build that people can be prepared for (that also allows some flexiblity - whether it is 2 slots or 4 slots), as a group?
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

craterus wrote:And in what way am I suggesting that here? Picking a core build that people can be prepared for (that also allows some flexiblity - whether it is 2 slots or 4 slots), as a group?
It came off that way, although I doubt you meant it to. Saying "Here is a build we should be ready to use when we just want to play quickly" is different from saying "We should use this build for a week". Now that I realize you meant the first one, I'm more interested. I'll build a necromancer that can support an IWAY team and have him ready tonight. Holler if you want to do some PvP.
craterus

Post by craterus »

ChrisGwinn wrote:
craterus wrote:And in what way am I suggesting that here? Picking a core build that people can be prepared for (that also allows some flexiblity - whether it is 2 slots or 4 slots), as a group?
It came off that way, although I doubt you meant it to. Saying "Here is a build we should be ready to use when we just want to play quickly" is different from saying "We should use this build for a week". Now that I realize you meant the first one, I'm more interested. I'll build a necromancer that can support an IWAY team and have him ready tonight. Holler if you want to do some PvP.
Cool... but i put the "use it for a week" part to signify that I am not married to a build. We just need to agree to start SOMEWHERE. If it doesn't work out we can tweak it or try a different (also flexible) build.

The reason I think IWAY is flexible - is that it started out as all wr's. Now there is the dominate build variant that is listed on the wiki. Who is to say that one of the people here can't come up with a way to make it work when it suppossedly gets nerfed in the coming weeks?

[rumsfield impersonation]Can it be defeated? Yes. Do we want it to be? No. Can a bunch of people get into the game quick? Yes. Can "the noobs" participate? yes. Can people play something besides wr? yes! [rummy impersonation off]
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

craterus wrote:
And in what way am I suggesting that here? Picking a core build that people can be prepared for (that also allows some flexiblity - whether it is 2 slots or 4 slots), as a group?
You asked the question and I answered with my opinion.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Since I think I figured out what craterus is saying, let me try to rephrase.

Making new builds is cool. Decentralized, casual guilds are fun. One problem with this approach is that you can end up in a situation where you have a handful of people who want to play together but have incompatible builds. This leads to undesireable amounts of downtime while everybody sorts things out.

It would be nice if we picked a relatively simple team idea (in the generic, here's what we're going to try to do sense) so that people could go and grab the needed skills and characters on their own. Then when there's much waffling around assembling a team, someone can just say "let's do OO team of the week" and we'll probably be able to do it. It would be even better if the team could incorporate a pregenned characters so that we can get brand new people into the team.

This doesn't replace all the wacky fun we've grown to love, but it means that we can do pickup PVP in a small period of time with a reasonable chance of doing well.

IWAY's a good choice for this. It's not a particularly interesting or fun build, but it works and doesn't rely on many skills that are hard to get.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

SuperHiro wrote:I still think we should go crazy with a hex-heavy build. I mean, of all those Zaishen elite teams, it's the hex heavy one that pisses off. Jesus, I had 7 hexes on me at one point. I didn't even know wtf to do.

Don't forget the necro skill that dumps damage whenever the target gets hexed.
GamrIrv

Post by GamrIrv »

perhaps there is some way we can get around this obstruction we seem to have: One of the strengths of playing popular builds is that we will most likely come up against them when we play HoH or GvG. Perhaps we could pick a certain build every other week and try them out to see 1) how to play those builds effectively and 2) to see what weaknesses are in those builds and maybe come up with ways to counteract them. This will also lead us into thinking and creating character builds that our individual guildies begin to prefer and maybe a better understanding of how to use them effectively against different builds.
craterus

Post by craterus »

ChrisGwinn wrote:Since I think I figured out what craterus is saying, let me try to rephrase.

Making new builds is cool. Decentralized, casual guilds are fun. One problem with this approach is that you can end up in a situation where you have a handful of people who want to play together but have incompatible builds. This leads to undesireable amounts of downtime while everybody sorts things out.

It would be nice if we picked a relatively simple team idea (in the generic, here's what we're going to try to do sense) so that people could go and grab the needed skills and characters on their own. Then when there's much waffling around assembling a team, someone can just say "let's do OO team of the week" and we'll probably be able to do it. It would be even better if the team could incorporate a pregenned characters so that we can get brand new people into the team.

This doesn't replace all the wacky fun we've grown to love, but it means that we can do pickup PVP in a small period of time with a reasonable chance of doing well.

IWAY's a good choice for this. It's not a particularly interesting or fun build, but it works and doesn't rely on many skills that are hard to get.
Thanks! I actually couldn't say it better myself. AND I DIDN'T!!!
craterus

Post by craterus »

EDIT - my first dupe post ever!!!

instead of wasting the space - while there isn't a WaRa prebuild. It is VERY easy and cheap to make as long as you have ever had at least one of the skill sets (war or ran) at one point in the past (especially if you have a couple thousand faction points to spend).

also - the reason I wanted to find out if we could do multiple choice polls was so that I could create a poll that would allow us to see what kind of characters we have most of... I suspect that almost everyone has had a War or Ran character at one point.
Padre

Post by Padre »

ChrisGwinn wrote: Don't forget the necro skill that dumps damage whenever the target gets hexed.
Soul Barbs, I think. I ran a curses necro/mesmer with it last time I played GvG. I had fun.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

craterus wrote:
ChrisGwinn wrote:Since I think I figured out what craterus is saying, let me try to rephrase.

Heh. I don't know why, but I thought that was really funny.
craterus

Post by craterus »

ChrisGwinn wrote:
craterus wrote:

Heh. I don't know why, but I thought that was really funny.
I have had a bug up my ass for the last week trying to make the point that we should agree on SOMETHING... could not express it clearly and concisely - you did.

It was meant to be funny - my funny isn't always funny to everyone else - glad you got a laugh.
rock

Post by rock »

Padre wrote:
ChrisGwinn wrote: Don't forget the necro skill that dumps damage whenever the target gets hexed.
Soul Barbs, I think. I ran a curses necro/mesmer with it last time I played GvG. I had fun.
another fun one is feast of corruption. I've seen teams based off of this skill. They stack hexes to give degen and other things ex: life siphon, parasitic bond, and malaise for spammability or suffering since it's also AOE. They spread these hexes and then all target something arcane echo spike and spike again. It does tons of dmg, is hard to counter, is aoe, and it heals you so you don't even need a monk if you use 4 of them in TA, plus you'll have regen from life siphon anyway, and you could have one of them run SS instead of FoC, but the enemy will probably never figure it out since you're all N/Me
"Call the thunder, I'll bring down the whirlwind."
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

rock wrote:
Padre wrote:
another fun one is feast of corruption. I've seen teams based off of this skill. They stack hexes to give degen and other things ex: life siphon, parasitic bond, and malaise for spammability or suffering since it's also AOE. They spread these hexes and then all target something arcane echo spike and spike again. It does tons of dmg, is hard to counter, is aoe, and it heals you so you don't even need a monk if you use 4 of them in TA, plus you'll have regen from life siphon anyway, and you could have one of them run SS instead of FoC, but the enemy will probably never figure it out since you're all N/Me
Wow. That is cool. I need to capture that one.