You guys gonna announce this place over at Console Gold?

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

rrmorton

You guys gonna announce this place over at Console Gold?

Post by rrmorton »

Don't know if this is being discussed in another thread and I missed it (my forum surfing skills have never been taxed harder than today) but I'm just wondering about the plan for spreading the word...

For starters, is there a plan? :D
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

The announce at popehat got me here.

I'm thinking maybe an announce in one of the Gonegold threads at Qt3, and then....? (If you do want an announcement in one of those Qt3 threads, I'll be happy to do it.)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

We certainly do have a plan, but we're not going to start jumping into other peoples' forums and touting our own without their express permission. We never let others do things like that on Gone Gold, we won't here, and therefore wouldn't turn around and do it to somebody else.

You, as visitors, on the other hand are perfectly free (and encouraged) to spread the word to any wayward, lost, or confused members of the community that you happen to run into.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

We're not planning on making a formal announcement over there - at least not without clearing it with Ron first (and we haven't started down that path yet). We don't want to do what would essentially be a site pimp.

As for a plan to spread the word . . . that kind of stuff just happens, I guess. People will figure it out (I hope!), probably via e-mail, IRC, and even through casual mentions on other sites. We definitely don't want to come off as though we're trying to steal Ron's thunder, though.

I did post a notice about it at www.previeweddvd.com. That might get both of my readers over here!
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

For starters, is there a plan?
See other thread in this forum.

Tomorrow, I'm going to be getting into some technical details as well (ex: types of skills we need, and types of tools we need). And let me retiterate that we may not go totally gaming on the front page. Much like that drunk girl, we're open to many things.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Well, I bet a lot of former gone golders currently gathered at Console Gold would want to know about this place.

If it's not announced, it might come off as elitist. The more hushhush this is, the more potential for shit hitting the fan sometime down the line. The argument could be made that a quick, courteous announcement at CG is the right course of action. Maybe even include some encouragement for folks to visit both forums so it doesn't look like an attempt to steal CG's new members.

Tough call.

And, yeah, getting the go ahead from Ron seems like the right thing to do.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

We're definately not trying to be elitist. We're going to try to get the word out as best we can. But we're definately big on permission.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

I think a good place to start would be to look at the R&P announcement at CG, find the folks who expressed some disappointment that it wouldn't be part of it, and pm or email them.

atsa what ahm gonna do. Captain Caveman and brother wiggum need to be here.
knob

Post by knob »

I found out about it in IRC. It's amazing how the news spreads amongst the GG Horde.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Well, I can put in another shill for PopeHat, and that will accidentally point them here.

I don't have any moral qualms about whoring for traffic from CG. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Enough emailed me about this site. I think there's enough of me to go around to both sites. Image
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Knightshade Dragon

Post by Knightshade Dragon »

I don't have any moral qualms about whoring for traffic from CG.
Thanks. That's good to know.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

:oops:
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Knightshade Dragon wrote:
Hey, Ron. Don't mind him. He's a surly bastard. :D
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

I found this place this morning after stumbling upon a link in Zaxxon's GGNFL thread on CG. I'm liking CG, but I'll definitely be spending a lot of time here. Like it or not, you guys are my peeps.

Bob

Post by Bob »

We're busted! Everybody run!
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Has anyone contact msd, yk, jblank and the numerous others who haven't found their way here yet?

Perhaps we should put together a list of "missing" posters, so we can at least make sure they're aware of this place. That way they can decide for themselves where they want to land.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

I sent a pm to jblank at CG, and figured YK and msd would see the thread at popehat same as I, and come on over.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Knightshade Dragon wrote:
It was in jest. You'll note I did not attempt any such whoring. :)
Make up bags of change
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Hey, Ron. Don't mind him. He's a surly bastard.
I thought it was salty. Damn kids these days. You change the hip lingo on me everytime get up to take a dump.
snoleopard

Post by snoleopard »

I believe it was Enough that said he sent the new link to Bill (Harris) at his blog so he could put this link up instead of, or with, the CG one. A lot of GG'rs went there to read Bill's blog daily.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I accidentally found out about this from Napoleon's post over on CG. I was curious and now here we are. How confusing.
http://www.consolegold.com/forums/viewt ... &start=150

I am actually very comfy over at CG and they've been very accomodating even though i hate consoles. I don't know much about the behind the scenes, but wouldn't it be better to combine the talent and people from both boards into something that can recreate the GG experience?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Jag - I think that as we slowly move away from GG in time, the more we'll NOT want to recreate the GG experience - or at least realize that we can't recreate the experience.

Not to mention that CG wants to be CG, and not GG. :)

We have an opportunity to build something new (well, the staff does, even though I feel like I own it now too :)), with a community that is already established.

That's an opportunity I'd like to take, as long as I can still give people the Treatment(tm) when they deserve it, and I'm still kept up to date on Elisha Cuthbert's underpants.
Make up bags of change
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

It is beyond our ability to recreate Gonegold, and we wouldn't even if it was. Two, we're interested in doing some things that aren't in the scope of a traditional gaming website - we feel good about starting from scratch here.
wankerjr

Post by wankerjr »

Cool beans.

Glad I found this link from Napoleon's post over in CG. Like dbt there's enough of me to go around both forums. Hopefully.
Yet another shameless plug..for something
Jag

Post by Jag »

Peacedog wrote:It is beyond our ability to recreate Gonegold, and we wouldn't even if it was. Two, we're interested in doing some things that aren't in the scope of a traditional gaming website - we feel good about starting from scratch here.
I agree. I didn't mean recreate GG, but rather to continue a great, albeit different experience.

RM9-I'll stay on top (or is it under) Elisha's underpants for you. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it...
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

I agree. I didn't mean recreate GG, but rather to continue a great, albeit different experience.
I figured you did, but this is something we're going to have to be repeating for awhile.

There are a number of issues at work here. Obviously, we legally lack the right to be Gonegold. With that, we ethically lack the right to be Gonegold. Trying to go a similar route to Gonegold may be ok legally, and maybe ethically, but is it a really good idea? I think no.

Everybody loves how the Chief did release dates when he was healthy. I doubt we could ever match his style, because we'd never be him. We might catch fire with something, though. But I think it isn't something alot of people would be fully comfortable with (even though there really aren't alot of release date focused entities out there).

And I'll go back to the gist of what Stephen said. I think it is time to let Gonegold pass. We should remeber it fondly, and we should head out into uncharted territory.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Let us never forget that we are dwarves standing on the shoulder of giants.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

...we legally lack the right to be Gonegold. With that, we ethically lack the right to be Gonegold. Trying to go a similar route to Gonegold may be ok legally, and maybe ethically, but is it a really good idea? I think no.
Well, that settles it. We're now at NotGonegold.net :shock:
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

Peacedog wrote:It is beyond our ability to recreate Gonegold, and we wouldn't even if it was. Two, we're interested in doing some things that aren't in the scope of a traditional gaming website - we feel good about starting from scratch here.
From a personal perspective, that sounds like the kind of place I'm looking for.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Bill Harris was directing people to Console Gold, I informed him of our new location so maybe he'll give us a shout out in his Blog.