2024 Fundraising - $1001 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Need help finding a Bible for Christmas

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Rich in KCK

Need help finding a Bible for Christmas

Post by Rich in KCK »

My mother wants a new bible with large print for Christmas. She wrote down on my list King James large print bible. I don't really know jack about bibles and after looking at buy.com I can't figure out what is what. Some of them say New King James some say personal reference some say indexed, there are just too many variables for me to figure out. I just need the plain old King James Bible with large print can someone who knows their stuff find what I'm looking for?
Lee

Post by Lee »

Just go to a Christian Book Store. Not only will they be able to help you, but they usually have tons of Bibles on hands.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

Yeah I though of that but I don't have a lot of time to shop when stores are normaly open with my work hours and if I could get this online with some other items I needed to order from Buy.com it would cut down on the number of places I need to go to in person.
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

Look here.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
Austin

Post by Austin »

Or if she wants the OT also (and likely does) try this one.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Hmmm... If she doesn't want the notes and such than perhaps this one would be better? Cheaper in any case.
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

Thanks for the help so far. I don't think she would want the one with the notes and as far as the NT and OT goes I have no idea what the difference is so I guess I'm going to have to ask her. It will pretty much give away that this is one of the gifts I'm getting her but it's safer than getting her the wrong thing.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Rich in KCK wrote:Thanks for the help so far. I don't think she would want the one with the notes and as far as the NT and OT goes I have no idea what the difference is so I guess I'm going to have to ask her. It will pretty much give away that this is one of the gifts I'm getting her but it's safer than getting her the wrong thing.
Rich, unless she's looking to get a really small Bible that she can carry in her purse it's extremely unlikely that she'll want just the New Testament. The only Bibles I know of which don't include the Old Testament are small pocket-size Bibles, and many (I suspect most) of those include both anyway.

If you still want to keep her present a secret, there is not much risk at all of just assuming she wants New and Old Testaments.
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

ydejin wrote:
Rich in KCK wrote:Thanks for the help so far. I don't think she would want the one with the notes and as far as the NT and OT goes I have no idea what the difference is so I guess I'm going to have to ask her. It will pretty much give away that this is one of the gifts I'm getting her but it's safer than getting her the wrong thing.
Rich, unless she's looking to get a really small Bible that she can carry in her purse it's extremely unlikely that she'll want just the New Testament. The only Bibles I know of which don't include the Old Testament are small pocket-size Bibles, and many (I suspect most) of those include both anyway.

If you still want to keep her present a secret, there is not much risk at all of just assuming she wants New and Old Testaments.
Thanks for the info, so I take it I just want something without the words study, notes or other things like that in the title, correct? That is if all I'm looking for is a regular sized nicely bound KJB with large print.

You know before today when I looked for this online I just figured a bible was a bible and you picked between how nice you wanted it to look and the size of the print, the searches at the bookstores websites showed me different.
Montag

Post by Montag »

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/ ... .y=0&Go=Go

Compare prices with Amazon though. It will likely by cheaper at CBD, but not always.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Rich in KCK wrote:
Thanks for the info, so I take it I just want something without the words study, notes or other things like that in the title, correct? That is if all I'm looking for is a regular sized nicely bound KJB with large print.
Pretty much yes. The biggest issue is which translation to get, and it sounds like you're going in knowing you want a King James Bible so you should be in decent shape.

Honestly though, I think you'll be in better shape if you go into a Christian bookstore and get them to help you pick on out, rather than trying to choose one online. That way you'll know for sure what is or isn't in the Bible (I'm guessing most study Bibles will be marked as such, but a real salesperson would be able to tell you for sure). Also you'll get a better sense of the aesthetics (size, color, quality, etc.) if you can actually look at it in person.