Amazon Prime -- Anyone use it?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Amazon Prime -- Anyone use it?

Post by Daehawk »

I get it at half price when Im a member. My sister or someone said Amazon is raising the Prime costs though soon. So mine would go up as well.

Phone app? I didn't even know there was one. Haw anyone tested this 1 days shipping its showing? Im curious if the desktop web page says 2 days and the app says 1 then would you really get it in 1 or would it be 2 and nothing you can do about it so they dont care what they say on it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I just discovered a practice by Amazon that makes it even harder to shop safely: Commingling inventory. I used to assume that going through the actual maker guaranteed you'd get real products, not counterfeits or repackaged used items. Not so.

Basically, Amazon lumps all of a certain product together, then ships whichever one is more convenient.

So, I want a sprocket. I know that Spacely Space Sprockets, Inc. makes reliable ones, so I make sure that when I get to the site, it says "Sold by Spacely Sprockets." Here's where commingling comes in: Spacely Space Sprockets, Inc. is located in California. They ship all of their products to be sold to the nearest California Amazon warehouse. Other companies that sell (or resell, or counterfeit) Spacely Sprockets send theirs to various warehouses. Now, I'm in Indiana. I order a sprocket from Spacely Space Sprockets, Inc. Since Indianapolis is the closest warehouse to me, Amazon ships me one sprocket from the Indianapolis warehouse, and shows Spacely Space Sprockets, Inc. as having one fewer in inventory, while whoever actually put that sprocket in the Indianapolis warehouse still has full stock on the books.

In other words, if I makes sure I order directly from Spacely Space Sprockets, Inc. on Amazon, I am probably getting one from someone else.

And this gotcha works both ways. If Spacely Space Sprockets, Inc. is selling their sprockets, and two other companies are selling genuine Spacely sprockets, but Cheap Knockoff, Inc. is selling counterfeits, then all three legitimate companies are going to be getting negative ratings and pissed off customers due to people ordering from them getting Cheap Knockoff products, while Cheap Knockoffs are going to be getting some ratings that were earned by the legitimate companies.

And now reviews replaced with "This product was fulfilled by Amazon, and we take responsibility" make a lot more sense.

tl;dr - there is not, actually, a safe way to buy anything from Amazon.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

That's assuming those items are actual counterfeits, and thus, same SKU as the genuine item, which is why they are "comingled" with the genuine items. Basically, Amazon, in trusting the items from the sellers as genuine, is a victim of the fraud.

And a lot of the smaller resellers source their items from wherever they can find them. They aren't going to check whether they have the genuine item, or the Wish.com clone someone imported by the pallet and need to get rid of at fire sale prices.

Some of the bigger companies and/or brands actually do care, and got Amazon treat those separately. For those brands, only "approved" vendors can sell those on Amazon (known as "gated", i.e. "I can't sell those, I am gated on brand X"), so no random yahoo who claims to have half dozen of X can send them to Amazon and claim to be genuine item X.

it's kinda educational watching those Amazon Arbitrage videos, when you pick up on all these FBA (fulfilled by Amazon) items.

Though USUALLY, if you specified "sold by Spacely Space Sprockets" that should have limited your inventory to those sold by them, and would not have included the clones. It *could* be Amazon's algorithms, or a warehouse drone picking the wrong item as well. There's really no way to know for sure.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Oddly, I just got an e-mail yesterday from Amazon reminding me of counterfeits using Amazon's name.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've just noticed that Amazon have taken further steps to make it hard to see what's junk and what isn't - they no longer show how many reviews anything has in the search results. You have to hover over the rating on each individual product to see their review count.

One common strategy for counterfeiters/scammers is to put up an item and pay for reviews, giving it a 4-5 star rating on day one. The counter to that is to look at review count - nobody is hiring 5,000 fake reviews (although it still doesn't protecta against product switching.)

Now you can't do that anymore. An item with a 4.5 rating after 15,000 reviews and an item with a 4.5 after two reviews now look identical.

Instead of fixing their de-facto crime syndicate, they're making it easier for the criminals.

Good job, assholes.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Most of the time when I try to watch anything the timer times out and the show goes away until I reset my computer.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I heard somewhere (maybe here) that Amazon is going to implement an AI that will summarize reviews, saving you the time of scrolling through them. That could be valuable if its summaries are accurate and fair.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:54 pm Now you can't do that anymore. An item with a 4.5 rating after 15,000 reviews and an item with a 4.5 after two reviews now look identical.
I’ve seen what you’re referring to, but I think it’s very specific instances (and hoping they aren’t testing it to move to that model for all instances)

I can still see everything using the typical model:
Enlarge Image
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kraken wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:01 am I heard somewhere (maybe here) that Amazon is going to implement an AI that will summarize reviews, saving you the time of scrolling through them. That could be valuable if its summaries are accurate and fair.
Unless the AI will be able to determine obviously fake reviews vs real, I don’t see this as being a good thing. More likely, it will process and use the absurdly positive fake reviews as part of its summary and end result, likely leading to more sales for Amazon.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They've changed it again since last night. Now you can see the numbers, but only one star. I have no idea what they're up to.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:47 pm They've changed it again since last night. Now you can see the numbers, but only one star. I have no idea what they're up to.
It probably has to do with how you are viewing it - iOS, Windows, app vs browser, etc. Hopefully, like I said, it's not specific accounts to test a future rollout. I hates it.

I will also say that there was a time where I would almost defend Amazon in the much earlier days. They had some really innovative design, ideas and customer service was best in class (still is, in my personal experience, but I think that is possibly related to my account and history).

But over the past few years, they have really started to slip into ye olde "Evil Corporation (TM)" trope with more than a few decisions.

At first when I noticed REALLY small (bad, IMO) changes, I dismissed them as just bad choices, whatever. But now I have started to see a pattern of these small "micro-aggressions" if you will, toward their customer. I would actually put their most recent move wrt their Amazon Prime Music platform up there as atrociously anti-customer. That was probably the breaking point for me.

I'm not on the Amazon warpath, hounding them at every turn like you have been for a few years, BH, but I am moving that direction. I guess it was inevitable really, given their absurd size now. They do these things now because they can, and they also know that the growth days are behind them. At least the easy-ish growth, and that concept is just not acceptable nor conceivable to any US company. Growth! And damn the torpedoes!

OTOH, it was a hell of a good run, as a customer for the past 20+ years (and, TBH as a very early investor).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It wasn't accidental. See the article that someone linked here recently on enshittification.

Short version:

First, they make themselves so amazing for customers that everyone starts to shop there.

Second, once all of the customers are on Amazon, they put customers in neutral (they keep all the good features for now) and focus on being amazing for businesses.

Third, once all of the customers and all of the businesses are both on Amazon, neither is able to leave. The customers can't leave, because all of the businesses are there. The businesses can't leave, because all of the customers are there. Now they focus on being amazing for Amazon.

------------------That was the short version. Herein lies the warpath bits.-----------------------------------------------------

Since all of those discounts, fast shipping, and business incentives cost them money, they start to phase them out. Free shipping goes from received in two days to shipped in two days to you'll get it sometime in the next week or so. The costs for the free shipping gets passed on to the sellers, causing them to raise the price by the cost of the shipping (so it isn't really free - it's just hidden.) The commission they take from sellers goes way, way up (sellers are getting barely over half of the sale price now.) All of this results in the quality of the products dropping, as sellers have to cut costs severely. And since all of the counterfeiters, scammers, and criminals make them money, they act very, very slowly to counter them. Then they start peeling off perks (like what they did with Amazon music.) And they start pushing both dark patterns (like tricking people into using Prime Day shipping, which exists purely to save them money by consolidating packages), and using social-media level algorithms to track you and 'improve' the search results so that you see what is more likely to make them money than what is more likely to suit your needs. They substitute products all the time, and buying directly from one seller (with a good reputation) frequently results in getting something from a different seller entirely (with a bad reputation.) They remove paid-for digital content with no way to get it back (even Steam lets you continue to download things you've paid for if they're removed from the store.) They've also recently begun charging people for returns (even zero-fault returns.)

Shall we talk about their infamously horrible customer service, wherein people actually able to make decisions are buried three or four layers deep behind AIs and barely-paid script banks?

And since people had set in their minds that Amazon was amazing and cheap, they still believe it to be true, even though it usually isn't. Most products cost more than retail, and many cost more on Amazon than they do on the retailer's own site, even factoring in shipping. But people tend to think in straight lines, and don't even notice they're being boiled.

And then there is the way they treat their employees. Or the authors whose writings they sell.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:01 pm Then they start peeling off perks (like what they did with Amazon music.)
This absolutely dick move was much worse than simply peeling off a perk. I almost don't want to go into it, because it really makes my blood boil. Bottom line...at some point, if you ever bought music, or converted from previous media to digital (your CD collection to MP3 for instance), you probably had to make a choice as to what company, and where you were going to let your music "live". Ideally where you buy music, but also where you store music you previously bought and converted. If you made the unfortunate choice of using Amazon for that platform, this latest move TOTALLY screwed you. I can't even right now....gah. Anyhoo...
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:01 pmShall we talk about their infamously horrible customer service, wherein people actually able to make decisions are buried three or four layers deep behind AIs and barely-paid script banks?
I still do not see this... and I would say they are still known for their great customer service, not the opposite (though their policies are not as lenient as they once were).

And not as important as to how they treat most customers, but anecdotally, they still treat me like a God...even when it's my mistake:

Me: oops, I dropped one of the pieces of glass that came with this light pendant I bought on Amazon, can I buy just that one glass piece?
Amazon CS: no worries, we will just send you a new one
Me: OK, how do I send back this broken one?
CS: no worries, just keep it/trash it, whatevs.
Me: uhhhh THANKS, you guys rock!!
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:01 pmAnd since people had set in their minds that Amazon was amazing and cheap, they still believe it to be true, even though it usually isn't. Most products cost more than retail, and many cost more on Amazon than they do on the retailer's own site, even factoring in shipping.
I am a massive deals hound (way too much of one, it's a fault, trust me), and I rarely find this to be true (very few exceptions in my experience). I think it very much depends on what you are buying. Maybe niche products, I could see it, but broadly speaking, they are usually cheaper. It's kinda their bag. They are often now MUCH more agile than they used to be, wrt changing prices of item X if another store has it on sale. They used to not do that almost ever...now it's pretty common, and usually VERY quick.

Having said that, they are very much guilty of using the loophole (like a shit ton of other companies, to be fair) where they hire an army of independent contractors to burn up their cars and their gas, to have a delivery army. Then the IC's write much of that cost off (whatever the rate is now, not sure... 68 cents/mile?) on their taxes, and the American tax payer subsidizes that cost. I hate that with a fiery passion. It's almost like the way I hate that restaurants, instead of just paying their fucking waitstaff a decent wage, shift that cost onto their customers via tipping (and this has gotten MUCH worse now of course, with every conceivable place putting out a tip jar).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It likely also has to do with volume. For a long time, I did a huge portion of my shopping via Amazon, mostly due to the lack of stores around here that I could shop at in-person. For about a decade, pretty much every item I bought that wasn't fresh food came via Amazon, before the issues got so bad that I started going directly to the makers' sites instead.

As far as them being cheaper, there is plenty of data out there that says otherwise, and plenty of data that says they are. It's pretty dependent on what you're ordering (anything you'd get at a grocery store is probably more expensive), and if it is stuff that comes directly from Amazon (frequently cheap) or through their various sellers (frequently more expensive.) In the end, in my personal experience, I ended up paying more overall by shopping at Amazon (pay less for one item, pay more for another - they didn't balance out in Amazon's favor), often got products that were older (or even expired - be very careful of food you buy there), had slower shipping than the manufacturers, and still had all of the other Amazon issues, like counterfeits, substitutions, and products arriving damaged - I still remember the time they shipped me a 48-pack of cans full of liquid in the same oversized box as a softback book. Yeah, they fix issues like that without a hassle, but you're still going through the process multiple times to get your item.
Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:23 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:01 pmShall we talk about their infamously horrible customer service, wherein people actually able to make decisions are buried three or four layers deep behind AIs and barely-paid script banks?
I still do not see this... and I would say they are still known for their great customer service, not the opposite (though their policies are not as lenient as they once were).

And not as important as to how they treat most customers, but anecdotally, they still treat me like a God...even when it's my mistake:

Me: oops, I dropped one of the pieces of glass that came with this light pendant I bought on Amazon, can I buy just that one glass piece?
Amazon CS: no worries, we will just send you a new one
Me: OK, how do I send back this broken one?
CS: no worries, just keep it/trash it, whatevs.
Me: uhhhh THANKS, you guys rock!!
That's a simple return/refund. Try dealing with almost anything that isn't in the script book. (And they're not doing you a favor by letting you keep it - if they can't resell it, they don't want to pay to have it shipped back unless it's a big-ticket item.)

Try dealing with, say, an unsafe product, like a product that has been reported as having caused multiple injuries, that's blatantly misleading in its description. Good luck - there is literally no avenue open to the public for dealing with something like that.

Or try reporting a counterfeit listing, either that you've received or that you know at a glance to be a scam (like a product being sold that doesn't actually exist yet, using a picture of a prototype from Kickstarter.) There is no way built into the site to report fraud, and customer service won't address it in any way or pass you on. There are counterfeit listings (and dangerous products) that have been listed for years after having been 'reported.' Here's one. It wasn't even obvious what the problem was until enough people got victimized that the reviews stacked up, and Amazon still left the listing in place as there is no way to report it.

Or try dealing with a company trying to bribe you to remove a negative review.

Or try dealing with the fact that a critical (but polite) review you wrote based on actual facts was removed (Remember that unsafe product? A set of resistance bands that were made in such a way that multiple people had them break and cause injuries, where the 50-pound band had less than 10 pounds of resistance, all observed and tested? Yeah, the company had the review removed.)

Or try dealing with an order that is received damaged, refunded, reordered, is received damaged, refunded, reordered, and then received damaged again.

Or try following up on an issue when the representative you dealt with before wasn't sure what to do, so they outright lied to you to get a 'positive outcome' for their records.

Or try finding a workaround on a replacement or refund where they insist that the product be returned first, but the nearest place to drop it off is a 70-mile round trip, so you end up taking three or four weeks to actually get your item.

And take into account that if you order a lot, you may have to refund/return a lot (I've had cases where four out of five items I ordered in a row were damaged or fake), and if you do it too much, they'll close your account.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Seriously, it may look like I'm on a 'warpath', but I'm not making any of this up. I'm not even exaggerating for effect.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Any item in my local grocery store is cheaper than the same item at Amazon.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

For the record I order from Amazon at least once a week (often multiple times a week) and have never had any major issues. Maybe it depends on your regional warehouse. I do agree groceries are more expensive through them, but I've never used Amazon as a grocery store precisely because of that.

I can think of only 3 issues I've had in about 100 orders. One was wrong product (was immediately replaced), one was damaged product (ditto), and one was just a manufacturer's defect (not their issue). Again, immediately replaced. I get everything within 2 days with Prime, with the rare thing taking a day longer. That's offset by the multiple times I get stuff a day early.

I'm not discounting the bad experiences people have had, just offering a counterpoint that it's not necessarily the same for everyone.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Since 2018, I've made 1,320 orders, and many of those were for multiple items, so probably ~2,500-3,000 items in five years (and that's with me cutting way back over the past two years.)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

and I owe my soul to the company store
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
stessier

Post by stessier »

The trouble with returns I get. The stuff about removing scam postings or dangerous products - make an attempt and move on. You're not going to fix the site - no sense in letting it effect your mood. If it's bad enough, you'll have to stop using the site.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm just sick of being the victim of every unethical, greedy corporation out there. And when you're poor, you end up on the receiving end of that way more often, because you have so few choices. You can't shop around - you have to pick from what's available, or you have to go without. You can't look for a better offering - there are 20 options, but only three of them are within your price range. You can't just stop, as there's no other alternative.

So you get fucked, over, and over, and over. And the companies pat you on the head with the most condescending form letters as they fuck you over, yet again.

And Amazon and Comcast have been, by far, the worst offenders. When I need something that I can't get in person, and I can't get anywhere but Amazon (because every seller is on Amazon, or else they're charging three times the price), so I order it - only to have it show up and be a counterfeit... Yeah, you get sick of that, and you get even more sick of the complete lack of any recourse, solution, or option.

And I get just as fed up and pissed off watching them do it to other people, over, and over, and over, which is why I speak up.

And then people with options tell the people without options why they're wrong.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And I apologize if I'm pissier than usual. I've just been getting stepped on a lot more than usual lately, including by the few people I was actually relying on. It may have made me a little sensitive to getting screwed over for someone else's benefit (or because I'm not the kind of person who 'matters' in society's view) and just having to keep waving it off.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:13 pm Since 2018, I've made 1,320 orders, and many of those were for multiple items, so probably ~2,500-3,000 items in five years (and that's with me cutting way back over the past two years.)
Thanks for explaining. If even 1% of those items were counterfeit or inferior quality, that's still a lot of complaints.

Wife has a steady stream of packages coming in and more than a few going back, but I probably don't place more than 5-6 Amazon orders in a year.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Sometimes you have to blame the sellers. The time you blame Amazon is when it's SOLD by Amazon.

Some sellers don't give a **** about where they source the stuff. They see X, they'll sell it as X, no matter if it's counterfeit or not. They don't know enough to tell. If someone stupidly thought they'll get genuine stuff on Wish and order a dozen, and ended up dumping them at a flea market, some unscrupulous (or dumb and naive) resellers will snap them up and try to play innocent "I didn't know they were fake" and send them off to Amazon FBA. And if the manufacturer and/or buyers complain hard enough, Amazon will "gate" the product, basically, only people who have sold genuine items will be allow to list them.

The GOOD resellers will only buy stuff from real retailers and thus ensuring they're genuine. Amazon has too many items to sell and can't verify everything they store for 3rd party are genuine. There had to be some trust, and sometimes the trust is abused.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:20 pm Sometimes you have to blame the sellers. The time you blame Amazon is when it's SOLD by Amazon.
If someone is selling counterfeit products out of my trunk while I'm sitting in the front seat, after having been told what they're doing, I'm probably going to be partly to blame.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:20 pm Sometimes you have to blame the sellers. The time you blame Amazon is when it's SOLD by Amazon.

Some sellers don't give a **** about where they source the stuff. They see X, they'll sell it as X, no matter if it's counterfeit or not. They don't know enough to tell. If someone stupidly thought they'll get genuine stuff on Wish and order a dozen, and ended up dumping them at a flea market, some unscrupulous (or dumb and naive) resellers will snap them up and try to play innocent "I didn't know they were fake" and send them off to Amazon FBA. And if the manufacturer and/or buyers complain hard enough, Amazon will "gate" the product, basically, only people who have sold genuine items will be allow to list them.

The GOOD resellers will only buy stuff from real retailers and thus ensuring they're genuine. Amazon has too many items to sell and can't verify everything they store for 3rd party are genuine. There had to be some trust, and sometimes the trust is abused.
Yeah, I was just assuming we were only talking about sold and shipped by Amazon. Anything else IMO is suspect. I should have clarified that probably 85%-90% of my purchases are sold and shipped by Amazon.

As for groceries, very rarely...as mentioned, prices are not good (because you have to account for shipping). You can get certain staples for cheaper if you use subscribe and save (which I have done every month for....many many years.) But it's rarely (human) food items. Gum, cat food, dog food, coffee, bulk dishwasher powder, etc.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You can't guarantee that you're getting a product from Amazon, even if you order one that's listed as 'Sold by Amazon.' If you order something directly from Amazon, and there is a third-party copy of the same item at a closer warehouse, you'll probably get the third-party item (the third party just won't have it removed from their inventory - they get one of Amazon's.)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:25 pm Yeah, I was just assuming we were only talking about sold and shipped by Amazon. Anything else IMO is suspect.
Quoting myself here to say that's not quite true...there are quite a few legit online sellers that are either official US distributors for a product (Lavazza espresso pods helloo!), or the manufacturer themselves. I have no problems buying from them of course.

And if it's the manufacturer, I will almost always check against the price they have on their own website vs Amazon. Never seen it cheaper on their own site (but I have several times seen it cheaper on the Amazon site).

I suspect it's just a matter of exposure. The mfr is willing to eat some of the margin by selling on Amazon because they get 8000% more views on Amazon.com (and sales) than they do on their own site. Very dependent on the product and brand of course. Probably very few people buy clothes from Gap or J Crew (if you can even find them sold by Gap on Amazon) on Amazon. These retailers have their own, very well set up and marketed site. Don't need Amazon as much.

But in that same vein...Tommy Hifiger...I would never buy from their site directly ($$) but have bought several items from their Amazon store (and they are legit, not counterfeit).
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:19 am You can't guarantee that you're getting a product from Amazon, even if you order one that's listed as 'Sold by Amazon.' If you order something directly from Amazon, and there is a third-party copy of the same item at a closer warehouse, you'll probably get the third-party item (the third party just won't have it removed from their inventory - they get one of Amazon's.)
That's assuming Amazon co-mingles parts, i.e. they stock as the exact same part number even though they are sourced differently. Nowadays, I doubt that's the case. Amazon's been in logistics too long to do that, even in the name of efficiency.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:03 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:19 am You can't guarantee that you're getting a product from Amazon, even if you order one that's listed as 'Sold by Amazon.' If you order something directly from Amazon, and there is a third-party copy of the same item at a closer warehouse, you'll probably get the third-party item (the third party just won't have it removed from their inventory - they get one of Amazon's.)
That's assuming Amazon co-mingles parts, i.e. they stock as the exact same part number even though they are sourced differently. Nowadays, I doubt that's the case. Amazon's been in logistics too long to do that, even in the name of efficiency.
They absolutely do that. It's been a problem with Amazon for a long time, and it's well-documented. It causes multiple problems.

Let's say someone wants a Spacely Sprocket. The search for them, find the Spacely Space Sprockets, Inc. storefront, and pick one out. They order it, "Sold by Spacely Sprockets." You live in Ohio. Spacely ships their sprockets to a warehouse in California. So, Amazon ships you a sprocket from another company out of a warehouse in the midwest, and simply removes the sprocket from Spacely's inventory, not the other seller's. When the sprocket shows up, it's a cheap fake. It breaks the first time it's used. Now the irate customer goes and leaves a bad review for Spacely Sprockets, for the item, and on third-party business rating sites. Spacely suffers the reputation hit for the counterfeiting, despite not having been involved at all.

As to stock numbers, Amazon is also known for substitutions. You'll buy a light socket that reviewed well, and get a very similar, functionally identical (in theory) socket, but not the one you ordered. Most people never notice.

The other thing Amazon does is restock some items that have been returned. The problem is that there are people out there who buy some products, empty out the high-quality contents, replace it with cheap junk, reseal the package, and return it to Amazon. Amazon restocks it, still 'Sold by Amazon', but when you get it, you're getting something else. This one has happened to me, personally, several times. The last time was some card sleeves. I ordered (I think), four packs of a type of sleeve I'd bought a number of times before. Three of the four were sealed with a different, softer shrink wrap, they contained sleeves that were far thinner and cheaper than the ones I'd ordered (I used Dragon Shield clear non-glare, and I got dollar store quality sleeves, and 70-80 per pack instead of 100.) Had I not bought those same sleeves in the past, I'd have believed them to be legitimate, and might have reviewed them as cheap junk, dinging Dragon Shield for a criminal's acts.

tl;dr - who it says you're ordering from when you place your order is absolutely no guarantee that that's whose product you're going to get. It's likely going to be, but it frequently is not.

So, no, ordering only "Sold by Amazon" doesn't mean as much as people think it does.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well I wish I'd bought my keyboard thru Amazon instead of Dell. It would've cost $5 .more, but gotten here three days sooner. Not fighting random periods for t.hree days is worth $5 to me. Dell is shipping with something t.hat looks suspiciously like Fed Ex. Motto: "If it absolutely, positively has to mostly get there eventually."
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:28 pm Well I wish I'd bought my keyboard thru Amazon instead of Dell. It would've cost $5 .more, but gotten here three days sooner. Not fighting random periods for t.hree days is worth $5 to me. Dell is shipping with something t.hat looks suspiciously like Fed Ex. Motto: "If it absolutely, positively has to mostly get there eventually."
I think, at some point, I'd have remapped the period to the slash key (or something.) Or maybe I'd have just shouted! A lot! Like this!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:33 pm
Kraken wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:28 pm Well I wish I'd bought my keyboard thru Amazon instead of Dell. It would've cost $5 .more, but gotten here three days sooner. Not fighting random periods for t.hree days is worth $5 to me. Dell is shipping with something t.hat looks suspiciously like Fed Ex. Motto: "If it absolutely, positively has to mostly get there eventually."
I think, at some point, I'd have remapped the period to the slash key (or something.) Or maybe I'd have just shouted! A lot! Like this!
The period key don't give a shit. It would just start cranking out slashes instead.

It's funny; it can behave just fine for hours, and then it goes haywire for no obvious reason until I restart it. Then it's a crapshoot if I get stable keyboard or crazy keyboard back.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ah, it's pushing itself? I thought it was just multi-activating.

Then I'd have bound the slash to period, and bound the period to absolutely nothing, or to a dead key (like F24, Insert, or Pause/Break, unless you have some application that still uses them.)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm not into keyboard bondage. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spacebari?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:02 amSpacebari?
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:mrgreen:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Here we go again.

My son's headphones have been giving him problems. He ordered an new set, a Logitech G Pro X Wireless (he's working, so he has his own savings to pull from for stuff like this now.) We wait for them to arrive.

The box has been opened and resealed. Inside? A used set of headphones with an 'Amazon Renewed' pamphlet. I double check - both the order and the invoice list them as new. The price paid was for new. And Amazon Renewed items come from Amazon - this came from a third party seller, meaning that not only did customer 1 buy them, use them, and return them, but after Amazon renewed them, customer 2 bought them, used them, and sold them to the company that then listed them as new.

Result? We got ripped off, and the money he used to buy them is now tied up for a couple of weeks until we can get to the UPS store to return them, as they no longer refund before the item is shipped. Meanwhile he has to deal with his old, broken headphones.

Fuck Amazon.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats weird. They usually supply me with a rma ship label. Least thats as I recall. Not returned anything to them in 4 years
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"